SuperSpeed Golf training system

I have done 8 sessions since Feb. 1 doing the over speed. I don't do the entire protocol because honestly I get too tired..lol. When I get back from the next Long drive event in Phoenix I am going to ramp it up a bit to start prepping for world championships. Since my first session I have gained an average of 11 MPH over the 3 weighted clubs. My last session I was 153 average with the light club and 146 with the middle club, My light club is roughly %20 lighter than a driver and the middle is right around 200 grams the same as most driver heads. I built my own set using 3 old shafts and 1 piece of 3/4" inch bar stock steel with a 3/8" hole drilled in them and epoxied them on the shafts. I do try and keep half decent golf swing form when doing this training.( Ok Long drive form) I especially try and keep my right hip stable and turn into my right side without sliding back and work on an inside swing path. Speed comes from the inside. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Kevin

I have a few questions for you.

Since you do long drive, do you know your swing speed well with a stock 45 in driver? If so, what is it if I may ask? (max swing speed, as if doing long drive competition)

Are your home made SSG clubs 45 inches? Do you know what the total weight of each one is?

Do you measure your speed of your home made SSG clubs with a swing speed radar?

I ask these questions because I have been trying to correlate drive swing speed with the swing speeds achieved with these SSG sticks. What I mean is, if you are able to swing your SSG club that is comparable to your driver 146 mph, do you also swing your driver that fast when measured on a Trackman or something comparable.

I have long suspected, that the swing speed radar is very accurate when it comes to the actual speeds we swing these sticks at, and that you could draw some accurate conclusions about what you should be capable of swinging your actual club of comparable weight and length at. Currently I can swing a 44 inch, 340 gram home made SSG stick 130-133 mph (measured with swing speed radar), but I currently can't seem to break 122 mph with my actual driver that is 44 inches long and 330 grams (measured on Trackman).

Is this a mental block and I should be able to reach ~130 mph? I love the long ball, but don't aspire to do long drive, I just enjoy this part of the game a lot. Its fun and memorable when you get a hold of one.

Edit: Congrats btw if you are indeed the real Kevin Blenkhorn. Pretty awesome drives you had.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Hey gents...I took a full month off from both lifting (gym work)...as well as SSG work...as I was plateaued speed wise and got very frustrated.

All in total...I spent (20) weeks in the gym (lifting) and (14) weeks doing SSG in parallel.

I figured that I'd reset completely and start back into my lifts an SSG work today (Intro Protocol).

Obviously I had to de-load a good amount of weight on squats and deads...but this was my last swing with the green SSG stick.

If this is what it takes to break through that plateau...I'm all in!!!

Where did you plateau at before? Do you do any heavy kettle bell work?

My Averages of the last (9) sessions (3 weeks) for each stick before my month long break:

Green - last 9 session Avg = 138 Mph

Blue - last 9 session Avg = 128 Mph

Red - last 9 session Avg = 119 Mph

I was stuck right around these numbers for about (6) weeks.

No...I've never done kettlebells.

I have done 8 sessions since Feb. 1 doing the over speed. I don't do the entire protocol because honestly I get too tired..lol. When I get back from the next Long drive event in Phoenix I am going to ramp it up a bit to start prepping for world championships. Since my first session I have gained an average of 11 MPH over the 3 weighted clubs. My last session I was 153 average with the light club and 146 with the middle club, My light club is roughly %20 lighter than a driver and the middle is right around 200 grams the same as most driver heads. I built my own set using 3 old shafts and 1 piece of 3/4" inch bar stock steel with a 3/8" hole drilled in them and epoxied them on the shafts. I do try and keep half decent golf swing form when doing this training.( Ok Long drive form) I especially try and keep my right hip stable and turn into my right side without sliding back and work on an inside swing path. Speed comes from the inside. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Kevin

Since you do long drive, do you know your swing speed well with a stock 45 in driver? If so, what is it if I may ask? (max swing speed, as if doing long drive competition)

Are your home made SSG clubs 45 inches? Do you know what the total weight of each one is?

I ask these questions because I have been trying to correlate drive swing speed with the swing speeds achieved with these SSG sticks. What I mean is, if you are able to swing your SSG club that is comparable to your driver 146 mph, do you also swing your driver that fast when measured on a Trackman or something comparable.

I have long suspected, that the swing speed radar is very accurate when it comes to the actual speeds we swing these sticks at, and that you could draw some accurate conclusions about what you should be capable of swinging your actual club of comparable weight and length at. Currently I can swing a 44 inch, 340 gram home made SSG stick 130-133 mph (measured with swing speed radar), but I currently can't seem to break 122 mph with my actual driver that is 44 inches long and 330 grams (measured on Trackman).

Is this a mental block and I should be able to reach ~130 mph? I love the long ball, but don't aspire to do long drive, I just enjoy this part of the game a lot. Its fun and memorable when you get a hold of one.

Edit: Congrats btw if you are indeed the real Kevin Blenkhorn. Pretty awesome drives you had.

I haven't hit on a TM or flighscope outside yet this yr but I have been practicing indoors on the GC2. I did hit a play driver there the other day and was around 190 BS and the GC is a bit stingy in BS I think so I would guess it was in the neighborhood of 133-135mph. I do think the SSR reads a tad high and there is a bit less drag on the club with the spped sticks over a driver head. And yes I think a bit may be mental. I can easily swing the speed sticks well past parallel but when I stand up to a ball with my driver I don't get to parallel, it is something I will be working hard on this summer . My homemade sticks are around 47" so I can swing them a bit faster. They come in around 325 for the middle club and %20 lighter and heavier for the other 2. And yes this is reall me...lol. And thanks, I hit it pretty good at the last event.

Kevin

Thanks for posting. I do have some questions.

1) where did you get your bar stock?

2) how long are the shafts?

3) how heavy is heaviest one?

1) Home depot $10 I think

2) 47"

3) Overall total weight is app. 390 grams.

Hey gents...I took a full month off from both lifting (gym work)...as well as SSG work...as I was plateaued speed wise and got very frustrated.

All in total...I spent (20) weeks in the gym (lifting) and (14) weeks doing SSG in parallel.

I figured that I'd reset completely and start back into my lifts an SSG work today (Intro Protocol).

Obviously I had to de-load a good amount of weight on squats and deads...but this was my last swing with the green SSG stick.

My Averages of the last (9) sessions (3 weeks) for each stick before my month long break:

It's funny how the body will get used to something and not improve sometimes. The gym is no different. I am curious to see your results now that you are back at it. Those are pretty good numbers.

Kevin

I haven't hit on a TM or flighscope outside yet this yr but I have been practicing indoors on the GC2. I did hit a play driver there the other day and was around 190 BS and the GC is a bit stingy in BS I think so I would guess it was in the neighborhood of 133-135mph. I do think the SSR reads a tad high and there is a bit less drag on the club with the spped sticks over a driver head. And yes I think a bit may be mental. I can easily swing the speed sticks well past parallel but when I stand up to a ball with my driver I don't get to parallel, it is something I will be working hard on this summer . My homemade sticks are around 47" so I can swing them a bit faster. They come in around 325 for the middle club and %20 lighter and heavier for the other 2. And yes this is reall me...lol. And thanks, I hit it pretty good at the last event.

Thanks for the reply, but if I could get some clarification on the club you swung on GC2 and an answer to one more question. Could you tell me how long the driver was that you practiced on GC2 with? My other question is, what can you swing your heaviest SSG style club at?

Also, very nice to meet you and welcome to GolfWRX. Its great to have your input and brain to poke at about this training system/training style.

Good luck at your next competition!

Kevin

Thanks for the reply, but if I could get some clarification on the club you swung on GC2 and an answer to one more question. Could you tell me how long the driver was that you practiced on GC2 with? My other question is, what can you swing your heaviest SSG style club at?

Also, very nice to meet you and welcome to GolfWRX. Its great to have your input and brain to poke at about this training system/training style.

Good luck at your next competition!

I was swinging the old Taylormade rocketball 8 degree with a stock shaft. The last session I think my average with the heavy club over 8 swings was 136. I would have to have a look when I get home. I write them all down. Warm up then do an 8 swing set with each club. And thanks, its great to read about peoples progress with this system and their training. Hitting the ball as far as you can is addictive for sure.

I bought an 80 pound one and will be doing these on a regular basis once my comp this weekend is over. Driver speed and distance comes from the ground up!

For those experiencing swing speed gains WITHOUT additional workouts in the gym, what do you think is the main reason behind the gains? Do these help build certain muscles in the body, or are we picking up better techniques that help generate speed with each workout?

I haven't touched a weight in years, and I do a very home brewed version of this workout and not religiously. I have gone from 105 mph to 125 mph at my best (was with a little longer and lighter club than I currently play, my current driver swing is 122 max, and my gains are over a few years not months). I attribute my gains to a few things.

1) Faster muscle activation through swinging has fast as I can (even if technique sucks). They just activate through repitition.

2) Stronger wrists and hands just from swinging so much, so hard, so often.

3) Better technique through trial and error and use of the SSR.

4) Stronger core, back, legs, arms everything. I have become golf strong from hitting so many balls, and swinging all out so often and regularily.

5) Incrimental goals. First goal was 110 mph, next was 115, next was 120, then 125, now I want 130. This drives me to continue working at it and playing the game no matter the set backs I have at times.

I feel like I am close to my current ceiling, and that I would only benefit now from getting in shape, eating healthier, drinking more water, and taking this SSG system more seriously working my opposite side more (which is incredibly weak). I would also benefit from a long drive minded swing coach but I cannot afford one nor do I know of any around here. My swing needs a lot of work and technique alone would likely free up a couple more mph. I would love to see what I could get to if I went all in. My guess is I could likely compete in Long Drive, but I dont' think I want anything more than to crush balls at the range and the course and perhaps teach my boy someday how to swing fast.

KB, welcome aboard. I am sure SSG and many WRXers would be stoked to see your posts.

I do have so many question but do not know where to start from.

Thanks, and ask away . I will say this for average golfer as well as us LDer's , there is no more important aspect of hitting a long drive than spin. I don't care if you swing 150mph if you spin the ball 3000 you are not going to get the distance you should. That would be the first thing I would look at if you are looking to add distance. This comes from your swing plane and attack angle mostly and of course the right shaft. Get that optimal and then work on increasing your speed while maintaining a good path and AoA into the ball and watch those drives look like they are never coming down!!!

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there were several other threads in which people described how they made their overspeed clubs. However, when I did a search the only result I got was this thread. Can someone suggest what I should type in search box to get more results?

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+superspeed+site:golfwrx.com

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there were several other threads in which people described how they made their overspeed clubs. However, when I did a search the only result I got was this thread. Can someone suggest what I should type in search box to get more results?

https://www.google.c...ite:golfwrx.com

Thank you Ron!

KB, welcome aboard. I am sure SSG and many WRXers would be stoked to see your posts.

Thanks, and ask away . I will say this for average golfer as well as us LDer's , there is no more important aspect of hitting a long drive than spin. I don't care if you swing 150mph if you spin the ball 3000 you are not going to get the distance you should. That would be the first thing I would look at if you are looking to add distance. This comes from your swing plane and attack angle mostly and of course the right shaft. Get that optimal and then work on increasing your speed while maintaining a good path and AoA into the ball and watch those drives look like they are never coming down!!!

I have a couple LD related questions that don't really have to do with SSG, but others in this thread might find your answers interesting.

1) Do you find that your maximum swing speed goes up rather linearly when swinging a 45 inch standard driver vs your 48 inch (I assume) LD driver? What I mean is, does your max swing speed go up roughly 8-10 mph as might be expected from the extra 3 inches of length?

2) Does the overall heft and swing weight of an LD driver make a big difference with what kind of speeds you can achieve? For example, I have swung a couple of LD clubs, and one I could swing much faster than my much shorter playing driver as expected, but the other I couldn't seem to swing much faster at all. It felt crappy.

3) (I thought of one more after my original post) Why do LD pro's use 48 inch clubs if often times they can swing a shorter club almost as fast, shorter shafts can lower spin, shorter clubs are more accurate etc etc. I have always wondered the benefits of 48 inch clubs, because they have to be much stiffer in order to keep spin low, the heads become much more special lie and loft wise, and they definitely can be harder to control. I have seen some other LD say they really don't get much extra speed out of a 48 vs a 45, and when they say that I scratch my head and ask why then do they use them.

I have always wanted to pick the brain of someone that does long drive competitions regularly. I have so many questions that I can never seem to find good answers to in other forums. Maybe I should start an ask a LD pro thread lol. Get some of you guys out of the woodwork.

I hit 126 with my green stick yesterday. This was interesting to me for a couple reasons:

1. I haven't done the SSG workout in well over a year.

2. I had just finished hitting balls for a couple hours.

3. 126 is notably higher than any speed I achieved when I was doing the SSG program.

126 may not sound like much to some of you guys, but seeing that I am approaching age 65, I was happily surprised. I was also hitting my PW 130-132, which is long for me, so something good is happening.

I hit 126 with my green stick yesterday. This was interesting to me for a couple reasons:

1. I haven't done the SSG workout in well over a year.

2. I had just finished hitting balls for a couple hours.

3. 126 is notably higher than any speed I achieved when I was doing the SSG program.

126 may not sound like much to some of you guys, but seeing that I am approaching age 65, I was happily surprised. I was also hitting my PW 130-132, which is long for me, so something good is happening.

all I can say is WOW. what have you been consuming lately? Perhaps I would like to ask for your wife's recipe. I hit my PW 130.

Why is it I can swing an alignment stick using my left arm really fast or I can use my right arm and swing really fast, but when I use both arms at the same time it is much slower?

Because an alignment stick is so light that you can snap it like a whip with wrist action and a loose grip. Both hands together can’t snap it as fast as a single, loose hand.

Add weight to what you’re swinging, and you need to put more body, ground forces, and arms into it to get max speed. Think of swinging a long sledgehammer at the extreme - you’d barely be able to move it with one loose hand.

I have a couple LD related questions that don't really have to do with SSG, but others in this thread might find your answers interesting.

1) Do you find that your maximum swing speed goes up rather linearly when swinging a 45 inch standard driver vs your 48 inch (I assume) LD driver? What I mean is, does your max swing speed go up roughly 8-10 mph as might be expected from the extra 3 inches of length?

2) Does the overall heft and swing weight of an LD driver make a big difference with what kind of speeds you can achieve? For example, I have swung a couple of LD clubs, and one I could swing much faster than my much shorter playing driver as expected, but the other I couldn't seem to swing much faster at all. It felt crappy.

3) (I thought of one more after my original post) Why do LD pro's use 48 inch clubs if often times they can swing a shorter club almost as fast, shorter shafts can lower spin, shorter clubs are more accurate etc etc. I have always wondered the benefits of 48 inch clubs, because they have to be much stiffer in order to keep spin low, the heads become much more special lie and loft wise, and they definitely can be harder to control. I have seen some other LD say they really don't get much extra speed out of a 48 vs a 45, and when they say that I scratch my head and ask why then do they use them.

I have always wanted to pick the brain of someone that does long drive competitions regularly. I have so many questions that I can never seem to find good answers to in other forums. Maybe I should start an ask a LD pro thread lol. Get some of you guys out of the woodwork.

I don't think it goes up 8-10 , we maybe swing 5 mph faster with the 48" clubs but if on average 1mph CHS equates to app. 2.5 yrds that's the difference of winning and last place in a lot of rounds and we get 8 balls so most guys are gonna take speed over straight. It would not bother me to see the length reduced again to be honest.

I have worked myself into pretty good shape, and made a big change to my diet last year, but still...

I do want to start working on swing speed and see what kind of results I can get.

And this is why golf is awesome. Nearing 65 and still bribing enough juice to hit it by plenty of 25 year olds!

Awesome!!

Interesting, thanks for clearing that up for me.

What about club weight? Do you have play around with lots of overall club weights and swingweight to maximize your swing speed?

Not really. I just got a new swing weight machine in and the swing weight I am hitting the best and hit at the Clash is around E5 and cycles around 270-273 on my frequency machine and the overall weight is around 325G.

What about club weight? Do you have play around with lots of overall club weights and swingweight to maximize your swing speed?

Not really. I just got a new swing weight machine in and the swing weight I am hitting the best and hit at the Clash is around E5 and cycles around 270-273 on my frequency machine and the overall weight is around 325G.

Interesting. Would you say lighter is usually better? I have been researching MOI effect on swing speed and I plan to build a LD club that I can swing as fast as I am able. Currently I bought one off ebay. Nice 48 inch Krank formula 6, but the sucker weighs 370 grams! Its MOI is huge and I can't swing it any faster than my 44 incher that weights more than your 48!

I assume most LD guys are trying to find the lightest and lowest MOI that they can still swing well. Sounds like you have, I dont' think you can get too much lighter than that, and of course swingweight makes a difference feel wise, spin wise etc.

There are clubs that seem to give SOME guys closer to 8-10 mph over their stock driver swing speed. I think even Jamie mentioned in a video back in the day he gets around 10 mph extra over his stock driver. I would imagine you might know Jamie well, does that sound true?

I apologize for all of the questions, you long drive guys are sort of my idols, and Jamie given his size, made some of us more average stature guys feel like we could get a little more uber than we are, hence my change from 105 mph swing speed to 120+ over a few years.

Thanks KB for being a good sport and answering these questions for me.

Interesting. Would you say lighter is usually better? I have been researching MOI effect on swing speed and I plan to build a LD club that I can swing as fast as I am able. Currently I bought one off ebay. Nice 48 inch Krank formula 6, but the sucker weighs 370 grams! Its MOI is huge and I can't swing it any faster than my 44 incher that weights more than your 48!

I assume most LD guys are trying to find the lightest and lowest MOI that they can still swing well. Sounds like you have, I dont' think you can get too much lighter than that, and of course swingweight makes a difference feel wise, spin wise etc.

There are clubs that seem to give SOME guys closer to 8-10 mph over their stock driver swing speed. I think even Jamie mentioned in a video back in the day he gets around 10 mph extra over his stock driver. I would imagine you might know Jamie well, does that sound true?

I apologize for all of the questions, you long drive guys are sort of my idols, and Jamie given his size, made some of us more average stature guys feel like we could get a little more uber than we are, hence my change from 105 mph swing speed to 120+ over a few years.

Thanks KB for being a good sport and answering these questions for me.

I do have anew shaft that is lighter and the club comes in at 315 but I don't hit it as good as the one at 325. Lighter is not always better and everyone is different some guys like heavy shafts and some light lighter. That 325 range works good for me. The heads are around 195G and then the cod and screw weighs about 10grams.

I just finished 2months of training and took 1 week off last week. My green shaft is up to low 120mph now, but i started to have some pain on my outer left knee towards lower left between my calf and the knee, possibly IT band. Has anyone feel this type of pain during the training?

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

I just finished 2months of training and took 1 week off last week. My green shaft is up to low 120mph now, but i started to have some pain on my outer left knee towards lower left between my calf and the knee, possibly IT band. Has anyone feel this type of pain during the training?

i hope you did stretch before and after session.

not in my knee no but i do have a pain in my forearm after doing the routine, probably as flushem says due to not warming up properly.

I'm 3 weeks into introductory protocol now and have seen no gains. I don't have a radar to measure the speed but it's on the course i'm talking about. I play with a buddy of mine and we're usually neck and neck off the tee and still were when I played with him yesterday. I'm going to keep going with SSG as if nothing else it's a good workout!