SuperSpeed Golf training system

well, my speed training was short lived. I finally achieved a nice inside-out path with speed, but I guess it was a bit much as I managed to hit the SSR. I took it apart and noted it was fairly simply built and the screen was easily removeable. I sent email off to the company and they are sending me a new LCD screen at no charge. It should be okay as there was no other noticeable damage. LCD has a penny sized black spot (bruise), but everything else looks fine. The unit is pretty hardy it seems. We shall see. FWIW, I have gained 20 mph in dry swings.

A friend of mine bought the swing speed radar they offer to help with his speed training. I tried it out of curiosity and found it to be wildly inaccurate. It was giving me a club head speed of 136 mph with my 3 wood. Other, much more expensive units, GCQuad etc., have me consistantly at 98-102 with the driver. Which is consistant with my on course carry distances. My friend was getting a club head speed of about 115 with a driver. He typically is in the 90 mph range on the course. Which is born out by his carry distances of 215-220. Anyone else having these issues with this unit? I suggested he send it back as defective.

A few things I know of that might help clear up whats going on, and perhaps help you get better readings.

If you were hitting balls, SSR can sometimes pick up ball speed....

If batteries are low, SSR can get really wacky....

If the SSR is positioned as recommend and you are an early releaser, the radar might show very high club head speed as it reads the toe pivot through.....it can read extremely high this way...

If you are a very inside out swinger, and also early release, it can read ridiculously high....

Depending on the shape, size and make of your club, SSR can read really inconsistently (for some reason my radar will show much higher numbers for my fairway woods than my driver for instance)

To get better, more realistic numbers from your driver swings, try setting the SSR about a foot closer to your right foot (right handed swinger). It will be more inclined to read the center or heel of your club rather than your toe violently pivoting through impact. I get more realistic speeds this way but still get odd high ones. I throw those out.

A trick I have found that seems to be a better way of monitoring your actual swing speed is to set the SSR up like you are going to hit your driver, tee in the ground and everything. Position the SSR as directed, not as I mentioned above. Don't put a ball on the tee, and don't grab your driver, instead grab the Red SSG club (if you have one). Swing that club at your stock speed trying to hit the tee, then swing it all out and try and hit the tee. The numbers the SSR puts out should be very close to what you would swing a standard 45 inch driver at while hitting a ball. You can get close to your stock speed, and all out speed this way. From what I have observed, you will be around +-3 mph from what trackman would show you. If you get any very high numbers among lower numbers while doing this, throw those out, they are misreads.

I have mentioned the above several times in this thread but it really is true, or at least it has been for about 7 people now that I have been able to obtain trackman data from and SSG data from, including myself. The SSR doesn't have nearly as much issue with reading true speed when swinging those simple metal weighted clubs because there is no toe to pivot through and its physical size is small. Its radar signature is no doubt very consistent in the eyes of the radar so it gives much more consistent and reliable reads.

Just as an example, when I swing at a tee with my home made heavy SSG club, I get 121-126 typically. This is right in the range I can swing my actual driver on a trackman.

Just to clarify why I suggest to use the heavy one. It seems to be the one that correlates best with actual driver swing speeds. The extra heft might make up for speed gained from less air resistance vs a driver head. You also need to swing at something to make a consistent and valid comparison. Some people swing faster or maybe get misreads from SSR when they just swing hard as they can without a target to hit. I have personally found I get some wacky readings when I do that as my swing gets more and more herky jerky and I think I trick the SSR with a sudden change in direction of my SSG club.

Sorry for the wall o text, just trying to help anyone I can that wants to accurately measure swing speed with SSR. It can be a frustrating device.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

well, my speed training was short lived. I finally achieved a nice inside-out path with speed, but I guess it was a bit much as I managed to hit the SSR. I took it apart and noted it was fairly simply built and the screen was easily removeable. I sent email off to the company and they are sending me a new LCD screen at no charge. It should be okay as there was no other noticeable damage. LCD has a penny sized black spot (bruise), but everything else looks fine. The unit is pretty hardy it seems. We shall see. FWIW, I have gained 20 mph in dry swings.

A friend of mine bought the swing speed radar they offer to help with his speed training. I tried it out of curiosity and found it to be wildly inaccurate. It was giving me a club head speed of 136 mph with my 3 wood. Other, much more expensive units, GCQuad etc., have me consistantly at 98-102 with the driver. Which is consistant with my on course carry distances. My friend was getting a club head speed of about 115 with a driver. He typically is in the 90 mph range on the course. Which is born out by his carry distances of 215-220. Anyone else having these issues with this unit? I suggested he send it back as defective.

You probably have it on baseball setting. Press the button to toggle indicator to golf club

We double checked that. It was't the issue.

Nah, he probably has it on kilometers instead of MPH.

My problem with the unit is that it doesn't register air swings properly at all for me. I can swing the driver 110 when hitting the ball (SSR is pretty accurate with this, but still has its issues of +/- 5mph or more sometimes). But then when I take the exact same swing without a ball, it only registers 90 mph. I know it is not me "releasing way past where the ball would be" like the manual says. Because I even put a tee in the ground and tried to whack it like a golf ball and still only 90mph.

I think what is happening is that it doesn't register the clubhead properly (doesn't seem to register my SSG sticks properly either). It will register the ball when hit, and I place it like manual says, so the ball is only registered when on clubface. And maybe a split second after it leaves clubface, hence I get some readings +5-10mph higher.

Overall, I sent one unit back and got a second one and same issues. I even swung both side by side and one swing they are dead on (+/-1mph within each other, but still off by 20mph IMO on air swings) and others they are off by 3mph or more from each other. So there is a lot of variability, and best to use these units to measure averages and overall progress. E.g. day 1 hitting balls on range I was 102-107mph. Now I am 114-118mph. While my actual swing is about 110mph. Reason for those higher readings is because I try to hit the ball as hard as possible when using SSR, so I probably do crank it up to 115mph when warmed up and really going after it.

If it was in kph then 136 kph only about 80 mph. That's not correct either.

I just got mine in today, I can't wait to hit passed the ladies tees this year! :P

Can someone who has the Xcel spreadsheet send it to me when they get a chance? Thanks!

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

I want to hear from people who have done this diligently for 1 year or more and tell me what your average clubhead speed on trackman went from pre training to a year after training with Superspeed

I'm not exactly what you're looking for, but I've had the set for a year. Basically from Jan-Apr of 2018 I used the sticks consistently, now since Oct-Feb I've been using them again.

Prior to using the sticks I was right around 95 most of the time, now I am closer to 105.

I can pretty easily push that to 110 but I'm not comfortable/controlled enough yet to hit a ball with that speed.

Nah, he probably has it on kilometers instead of MPH.

My problem with the unit is that it doesn't register air swings properly at all for me. I can swing the driver 110 when hitting the ball (SSR is pretty accurate with this, but still has its issues of +/- 5mph or more sometimes). But then when I take the exact same swing without a ball, it only registers 90 mph. I know it is not me "releasing way past where the ball would be" like the manual says. Because I even put a tee in the ground and tried to whack it like a golf ball and still only 90mph.

I think what is happening is that it doesn't register the clubhead properly (doesn't seem to register my SSG sticks properly either). It will register the ball when hit, and I place it like manual says, so the ball is only registered when on clubface. And maybe a split second after it leaves clubface, hence I get some readings +5-10mph higher.

Overall, I sent one unit back and got a second one and same issues. I even swung both side by side and one swing they are dead on (+/-1mph within each other, but still off by 20mph IMO on air swings) and others they are off by 3mph or more from each other. So there is a lot of variability, and best to use these units to measure averages and overall progress. E.g. day 1 hitting balls on range I was 102-107mph. Now I am 114-118mph. While my actual swing is about 110mph. Reason for those higher readings is because I try to hit the ball as hard as possible when using SSR, so I probably do crank it up to 115mph when warmed up and really going after it.

If it was in kph then 136 kph only about 80 mph. That's not correct either.

ball speed

I want to hear from people who have done this diligently for 1 year or more and tell me what your average clubhead speed on trackman went from pre training to a year after training with Superspeed

105 to 112. Funny how Phil has that patch on his thumb/ wrist. I have the same issue from SS... I have not done it in two months because of this....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

105 to 112. Funny how Phil has that patch on his thumb/ wrist. I have the same issue from SS... I have not done it in two months because of this....

Where at exactly? I had an existing thumb/wrist issue on my right hand but I recently started feeling something similar in my left. I have also been experiencing some right elbow tendinitis after moving to the protocol with the kneeling drills. I'm taking a week off to see how it feels. You'd think I'm a 70 year old man but I'm about half of that haha

Yeah, the real question is "who has done the SSG program for a full year without getting injured?"

I have done about 8 or so sessions before I realized that my left shoulder got injured. I feel like it was due to follow-through swinging left handed. My body was not used to all that speed and stretch on the follow-through and either tore a ligament, muscle, or labrum. I took several weeks off from SSG, with a lot of massage and foam rolling and it is slowly getting better.

Not sure I want to go back to the program as I have gained most of my swing speed without doing SSG, but rather by doing other stuff that I make up on my own.

Yeah, the real question is "who has done the SSG program for a full year without getting injured?"

I have done about 8 or so sessions before I realized that my left shoulder got injured. I feel like it was due to follow-through swinging left handed. My body was not used to all that speed and stretch on the follow-through and either tore a ligament, muscle, or labrum. I took several weeks off from SSG, with a lot of massage and foam rolling and it is slowly getting better.

Not sure I want to go back to the program as I have gained most of my swing speed without doing SSG, but rather by doing other stuff that I make up on my own.

I really feel there is something bad about not hitting a ball and swinging that hard. Like dry firing a compound bow for those of you that do that sport. You need the ball to absorb a lot of the load otherwise your body does. Need to stretch and warm up really well, and take a week or two off if feeling any pain.

I always did stretch and warm up a lot before doing SSG. Felt good doing it. Never any pain. Then one day I noticed pain in left shoulder, and then later swing a club I realized the pain must have come from left handed follow through.

You are correct that you need to hit a ball or something to absorb some of that load.

A little off current topic but I am wondering if anyone would like to contribute to my theory. Anyone able to post data of what range of speed they swing the red club, and what range of speed they know they have swung a standard length driver (preferably on Trackman so I can be consistent)? Just trying to confirm more cases where they correlate well. Some people I know it does't correlate as well. Depends on some things I have discovered but seems to be quite reliable for most people.

Edit: Please swing at something with the red SSG club for this to be a reasonable comparison.

A little off current topic but I am wondering if anyone would like to contribute to my theory. Anyone able to post data of what range of speed they swing the red club, and what range of speed they know they have swung a standard length driver (preferably on Trackman so I can be consistent)? Just trying to confirm more cases where they correlate well. Some people I know it does't correlate as well. Depends on some things I have discovered but seems to be quite reliable for most people.

I can't do Trackman, unfortunately, but pre-injury I got to 113MPH with the red and 105 with the driver on SSR.

Speaking to Superspeed previously, a 10% lower driver speed than max speed on red is common.

It would be interesting to see what the spread is from your request...

I can't do Trackman, unfortunately, but pre-injury I got to 113MPH with the red and 105 with the driver on SSR.

Speaking to Superspeed previously, a 10% lower driver speed than max speed on red is common.

For several now, the red is very close to actual driver speed. The caveat however is you have to swing at something with both. I can swing my red over 130 without something to swing at but seem to settle in that 121 to 126 range when I swing at a tee. Your driver also needs to be standard length, not shorter by a lot or longer by a lot.

When you just blindly swing and don't have any sort of area or target you are pretending to hit, its easy to inflate actual speed, or for some, its easier to register higher speeds. What matters is what you can swing at when you hit a ball. Some people can indeed match an all out effort with the red ssg club to their driver, but they seem to be the ones that don't have any kind of wicked hitches in there swing that can trick the ssr. Two long drive guys have confirmed that they are +- 3 mph generally with actual club vs the heavy ssg club.

So with that, I guess I will add to my post that you should swing at something like a tee.

For several now, the red is very close to actual driver speed. The caveat however is you have to swing at something with both. I can swing my red over 130 without something to swing at but seem to settle in that 121 to 126 range when I swing at a tee. Your driver also needs to be standard length, not shorter by a lot or longer by a lot.

When you just blindly swing and don't have any sort of area or target you are pretending to hit, its easy to inflate actual speed, or for some, its easier to register higher speeds. What matters is what you can swing at when you hit a ball. Some people can indeed match an all out effort with the red ssg club to their driver, but they seem to be the ones that don't have any kind of wicked hitches in there swing that can trick the ssr. Two long drive guys have confirmed that they are +- 3 mph generally with actual club vs the heavy ssg club.

So with that, I guess I will add to my post that you should swing at something like a tee.

I always swing at a marked point because I find I wander around otherwise.

You may find a correlation between higher clubhead speeds, and a smaller % gap between red club and actual driver, as they may have more overall power to minimize the aero effects of swinging an actual driver... who knows.

Just an example of this with Tyler Parson's on youtube.

Starting at 4:53 he swings the red club (fully warmed up)

His driver speed starts at 10:50 (heavier than normal club btw he told me).

To summarize, he swung 110, 136, 134 with the red club and swung a heavy standard length driver 132 max.

I always swing at a marked point because I find I wander around otherwise.

You may find a correlation between higher clubhead speeds, and a smaller % gap between red club and actual driver, as they may have more overall power to minimize the aero effects of swinging an actual driver... who knows.

Could have something to do with that, but really, I think it has more to do with the thing between the ears. If you really want to do a good test, try and hit a foam golf ball on a tee with the red ssg club. You might see a closer correlation or it might still not work for you. There are definitely outliers though to my theory, you may be one of them for one reason or another.

Edit: Custom drivers too can make a difference. Your swing weight, how heavy the over all club is, stuff like that. Aerodynamics does play a role too but it should be pretty consistent club to club unless its a fairway wood sized driver lol. Off the shelf drivers tend to be pretty light overall, and about 45 inches long. They usually have similar swing weights I have found. So custom club can make a big difference in how the club feels to swing and therefore how fast you can swing it. At least, that is in my experience.

Edit: Please swing at something with the red SSG club for this to be a reasonable comparison.

The numbers I gave you were without a tee. I will try to swing at a tee when I do it another night.

I hurt my left trap last week while trying to swing 1 handed. Here's why: I was getting numbers very close with both L & R handed swings. I was perplexed. I have an athletic lefty pivot, but I was getting frustrated at how effortless it felt to swing fast lefty (lol). So here I am, swinging the green club with 1 arm both ways like a fool and end up hurting my left trap it feels like. My neck hurts a bit when I turn a certain way, but it's nothing crazy. Just can't do pullups now (ugh). I think I hurt my left arm because I played Baseball Righty and can swing my right arm through better (even with a lefty swing) than my left.

Anyway, SSG is a great program but yes, be careful because you move quicker than you are used to.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

This week my red sticks speed on the ssr have been 120 to 128 range

When i was on trackman a month ago i was getting 119-125.

I just started superspeed a couple weeks ago, which was following the trackman session. I also believe the red aligns closely to trackman speeds

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

This week my red sticks speed on the ssr have been 120 to 128 range

When i was on trackman a month ago i was getting 119-125.

I just started superspeed a couple weeks ago, which was following the trackman session. I also believe the red aligns closely to trackman speeds

Awesome, that makes 8 peeps now. Thanks for posting.

Edit: One of these days I am going to go to my local pro and borrow his SSG red club. I have no idea what I can swing that one. My home made red club is 44 inches, and 340 grams which is about 10 grams heavier than my usual gamer. It would just be nice to compare more directly to some of those that I have obtained data from.

Driver averaged 112mph on a GCQuad on 12/28. My fastest red SSG swings were 116 and 117 in the two days before and after those driver swings...so red stick speed was about 4.5mph faster than driver.

After 6 weeks of SSG data tracking I've gotten the red up to 124 but it's more like 120-122 on average. Haven't had a chance to get new driver measurements though.

OKAY, I received a replacement LCD screen from Sport Sensors, Inc. Took me all of ten minutes to get it up and running and only because my manual dexterity ain't what it used to be. Accurate reading from what I can tell but I am not exactly a poster child for fast speeds.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Driver averaged 112mph on a GCQuad on 12/28. My fastest red SSG swings were 116 and 117 in the two days before and after those driver swings...so red stick speed was about 4.5mph faster than driver.

After 6 weeks of SSG data tracking I've gotten the red up to 124 but it's more like 120-122 on average. Haven't had a chance to get new driver measurements though.

You said driver speed was averaged, but ssg speeds were maxes. I would be interested to know what a peak speed was on GCQ and what your more typical range was with radar and red SSG stick.

For instance, typical range for me is that 121-126 ish area, with outliers in the 130s. I throw the 130s out as mis reads.

You said driver speed was averaged, but ssg speeds were maxes. I would be interested to know what a peak speed was on GCQ and what your more typical range was with radar and red SSG stick.

For instance, typical range for me is that 121-126 ish area, with outliers in the 130s. I throw the 130s out as mis reads.

Good call. Peak with driver on GCQuad was 113.9. I throw out any outliers on my SSG data, so 116 and 117 would have been correct. Probably safe to call the red SSG stick about 3mph faster than max driver speed.

Good call. Peak with driver on GCQuad was 113.9. I throw out any outliers on my SSG data, so 116 and 117 would have been correct. Probably safe to call the red SSG stick about 3mph faster than max driver speed.

Thanks for that.

The red stick is 5% heavier than driver. It would seem that the driver swing speed should then be faster, but then again, there are differences in mass and overall weight. Also, not all drivers are the same weight. Then again, once you establish a bench mark, you can measure improvement so its all relative.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

The red stick is 5% heavier than driver. It would seem that the driver swing speed should then be faster, but then again, there are differences in mass and overall weight. Also, not all drivers are the same weight. Then again, once you establish a bench mark, you can measure improvement so its all relative.

Yes, which is why I theorize that they should be close and not exactly the same. There are always outlier variables though.

What’s strange is my avg standing speed with my driver is about 118-120 on SSR when I swing as hard as I can. When I swing the red as hard as I can, it’s 120-123 with a max of 128. I play driver at 44.5†so it’s a bit shorter but sw is D5.5 on the driver vs E0 for the red stick.

Also should I be concerned driver is 335g and the red is 339g, making my driver only 1.2% lighter instead of 5%? If my driver is that weight, it’s not consistent with the relative intended weights of SSG and does it defeat the purpose.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2