SuperSpeed Golf training system

I don't agree with everything Clay teaches or says, but I do like several of his videos. This is one. Just another voice preaching my personal mantra regarding upping your speed by swinging all out with your driver when you practice. He also preaches other things you find taboo in golf instruction these days which I love. I say if you can make it work and work well, swing ugly (although I personally think swings like Bubba's and Jack Nicklaus' were awesome, I have ended up swinging very much the same by teaching myself and not trying to copy anyone, it just feels natural). This is part of what makes SSG work so well, its doing something similar imo.

[media=]

[/media]

I don't yet know how to embed a video, I will research and do that in a bit here. (Bingo, got it)

This also showed up in my in box the other day. I found it helpful, but could also be misconstrued by some. I say "allow" the left heel to raise, but not in a contorted/contrived fashion. Some only need a "slight" feel, just enough to give you a shade more flexibility to make a proper turn. He also stressed keeping a steady head and centered pivot.

Not sure about your last sentence. I think the opposite is true, as I thought he said not to worry about keeping your head centered. Because by artificially keeping your head in place you are restricting your backswing which restricts speed.

looks pretty steady to me. It swivels a little, but stays centered.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

When you started the program what was your baseline for the green? Ie what have you gained to hit 150?

I didn't realize the step swing & finishing green sets were included in the Intro Protocol, so I didn't do these until my 4th session. With that said, my finishing green 'baseline' was 134mph. I'll post a picture of my averages including baseline for the first 9 weeks. I've broken down each week as 4 sessions. Keep in mind I still have 1 session for Week 9, so I've only completed 3/4. Also, I started Protocol 1 Week 8, that's why it's a slightly darker blue.

You swing the red faster than I swing the green! :superman:

I assume you're recording every swing to get an average for each exercise for each session? I've only been recording my max for each side/club/exercise. Since starting protocol 1 how are you finding going from 3 swings to 5 as well as adding in the kneeling swings?

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

When you started the program what was your baseline for the green? Ie what have you gained to hit 150?

I didn't realize the step swing & finishing green sets were included in the Intro Protocol, so I didn't do these until my 4th session. With that said, my finishing green 'baseline' was 134mph. I'll post a picture of my averages including baseline for the first 9 weeks. I've broken down each week as 4 sessions. Keep in mind I still have 1 session for Week 9, so I've only completed 3/4. Also, I started Protocol 1 Week 8, that's why it's a slightly darker blue.

I assume you're recording every swing to get an average for each exercise for each session? I've only been recording my max for each side/club/exercise. Since starting protocol 1 how are you finding going from 3 swings to 5 as well as adding in the kneeling swings?

I only record my max for each set of swings. I then put each best value into the spreadsheet for each day I train. At the end of 4, I take a weekly average just to see how I progress each week. Those weekly averages are what I posted above.

Initially, 5 seems like a lot more but now it's just standard. You go from 39 swings to 65. Then adding in the kneeling was a lot because you're adding an additional 30. Once you get used to it, you will be fine, but initially it is very noticeable. It takes me a solid 30-40 minutes if I take my time. I did it quicker Wednesday night, so it can be done in about 20. It is definitely a workout!

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I only record my max for each set of swings. I then put each best value into the spreadsheet for each day I train. At the end of 4, I take a weekly average just to see how I progress each week. Those weekly averages are what I posted above.

Initially, 5 seems like a lot more but now it's just standard. You go from 39 swings to 65. Then adding in the kneeling was a lot because you're adding an additional 30. Once you get used to it, you will be fine, but initially it is very noticeable. It takes me a solid 30-40 minutes if I take my time. I did it quicker Wednesday night, so it can be done in about 20. It is definitely a workout!

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to transition to protocol 1 after 4 weeks, or do 6.

With the nearly 1 week setback, maybe I'll see how the next few sessions go.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I don't agree with everything Clay teaches or says, but I do like several of his videos. This is one. Just another voice preaching my personal mantra regarding upping your speed by swinging all out with your driver when you practice. He also preaches other things you find taboo in golf instruction these days which I love. I say if you can make it work and work well, swing ugly (although I personally think swings like Bubba's and Jack Nicklaus' were awesome, I have ended up swinging very much the same by teaching myself and not trying to copy anyone, it just feels natural). This is part of what makes SSG work so well, its doing something similar imo.

[media=]

[/media]

I don't yet know how to embed a video, I will research and do that in a bit here. (Bingo, got it)

This also showed up in my in box the other day. I found it helpful, but could also be misconstrued by some. I say "allow" the left heel to raise, but not in a contorted/contrived fashion. Some only need a "slight" feel, just enough to give you a shade more flexibility to make a proper turn. He also stressed keeping a steady head and centered pivot.

Not sure about your last sentence. I think the opposite is true, as I thought he said not to worry about keeping your head centered. Because by artificially keeping your head in place you are restricting your backswing which restricts speed.

looks pretty steady to me. It swivels a little, but stays centered.

My point was that he specifically mentions in the video NOT to keep your head steady and centered. He says, you need to be more loose and allow it to move. Just like you want to give your front heel freedom and allow it to come of the ground if needed. He says that by keeping your head centered and in place, you are restricting yourself from unleashing more power.

Do you guys actually workout with these for an hour a session? I can’t see how that is productive or even possible to be at explosive power for an hour straight.

I mostly workout with kettlebells and use a 20 to 30 minute timeframe while staying recovered and full powered by taking ample rest periods between sets.

I dont see why using this style wouldn’t be better for this as well.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Got these on Friday and have had two sessions with them so far. I don’t have the radar that is still to come but I have access to a gc quad so I was able to hit drivers straight after.

On Thursday, the day before I got the sticks I went in and max my max club head speed was 111.9 and my max ball speed was 159. After my first session on Friday I got my highest ball speed ever at 165 as well as averaging 160 over 13 drives. Club head speed maxed out at 114. I used them again today and max ball speed was 163 averaging at 160 again with club head speed up at 115 with nothing lower then 112.9 for 15 drives.

Seriously impressed. If I can get my average to be the same as my previous best this will be money well spent for me.

Can’t wait to get the radar and see how much more I can push this

Got these on Friday and have had two sessions with them so far. I don't have the radar that is still to come but I have access to a gc quad so I was able to hit drivers straight after.

On Thursday, the day before I got the sticks I went in and max my max club head speed was 111.9 and my max ball speed was 159. After my first session on Friday I got my highest ball speed ever at 165 as well as averaging 160 over 13 drives. Club head speed maxed out at 114. I used them again today and max ball speed was 163 averaging at 160 again with club head speed up at 115 with nothing lower then 112.9 for 15 drives.

Seriously impressed. If I can get my average to be the same as my previous best this will be money well spent for me.

Can't wait to get the radar and see how much more I can push this

Wish I saw those gains...especially after a few sessions. That's big time.

My warmup consists of 4-5 minutes of static/dynamic stretching, a few bodyweight squats and lunges. After that I'm on my way. I'm 32 and in pretty good physical shape. Sometimes I'm a little sore the next day, but most of the time it just wears off. SSG is a structured system that you need to make time to get results. If you make the time, you will get the results because it works.

FYI, when I was 32, I would go after 8h of work (sitting at the desk) straight to the tee box and hit driver after swinging the orange whip maybe a dozen times in the parking lot. 3 years later and I couldn't do that anymore. Things change quickly in your 30's, and even worse in your 40's.

Yes, if you are young, you can do SSG with minimal warm up. But as you get older, the more dangerous it becomes. One bad swing and you may not be able to play golf normally for many months. Happened to me on a bad driver swing on the course one time. Still paying the price for that one almost 2 years later.

Do you guys actually workout with these for an hour a session? I can't see how that is productive or even possible to be at explosive power for an hour straight.

I mostly workout with kettlebells and use a 20 to 30 minute timeframe while staying recovered and full powered by taking ample rest periods between sets.

I dont see why using this style wouldn't be better for this as well.

It is not productive or possible to be at explosive power for so long. 3 sets at 5 reps is about all your body can really take at max effort (+/- a few swings depending on physical conditioning). I did SSG once an hour after an intense pilates class where I destroyed my core/quads/glutes, and even though my average swings were better than previous session, my fastest swing was 8mph slower. Can't expect max swing speed unless your muscles are well rested.

Got these on Friday and have had two sessions with them so far. I don't have the radar that is still to come but I have access to a gc quad so I was able to hit drivers straight after.

I saw even better gains than that after a couple (literally) sessions of only swing driver on range with SSR. This is before I started SSG program. Just swing hard and get feedback. See what works, then swing faster...

Do you guys actually workout with these for an hour a session? I can't see how that is productive or even possible to be at explosive power for an hour straight.

It is not productive or possible to be at explosive power for so long. 3 sets at 5 reps is about all your body can really take at max effort (+/- a few swings depending on physical conditioning). I did SSG once an hour after an intense pilates class where I destroyed my core/quads/glutes, and even though my average swings were better than previous session, my fastest swing was 8mph slower. Can't expect max swing speed unless your muscles are well rested.

That was my point. I dont have this program but my natural instinct tells me 3 times a week for 20 minutes a session would be appropriate, especially if you are working out in addition.

I keep reading how people’s superspeed sessions are more than an hour and i just can’t see it

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

That was my point. I dont have this program but my natural instinct tells me 3 times a week for 20 minutes a session would be appropriate, especially if you are working out in addition.

I keep reading how people’s superspeed sessions are more than an hour and i just can’t see it

I do their recommended warm up and some additional movements like lunges, additional flexion/extension and rotation warm up for back. I probably spend more time warming up than I do swinging. I'd guess I'm probably 45-50 minutes all in.

I'm trying to get back into a fitness routine but have not been very successful yet, so I'm trying to really ensure I'm lower and warmed up to prevent injury.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I saw even better gains than that after a couple (literally) sessions of only swing driver on range with SSR. This is before I started SSG program. Just swing hard and get feedback. See what works, then swing faster...

Going on what other people said earlier in the thread, I think having the radar is key here. Having that instant feedback and trying to squeeze out that extra few mphs is critical I reckon. I’m delighted with the start though and can’t wait to get the radar

I've seen some instant gains but I think that's just down to a commitment to swing faster and starting this journey.

I agree with the repeated message that just a radar and feedback can work, that's all the program is, except it has some weight options and some extra exercises.

It's not black magic , it's just a 3 times a week commitment to swing a club faster.

I'm loving the program but if someone has spent a year swinging out their shoes with a radar already there won't be much short term gain from the program.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

2 things, anyone else buy knee pads for the kneeling swings? I found myself wanting to skip them so splurged for some knee pads at the hardware store.

Also is anyone else seeing their speeds on all three sticks converge? I haven't been gaining much with greens, stuck around 130 with greens, but went from 105 with the reds and now averaging high teens and usually hitting 120 at least once, blues I am now around 120 average with some close to 130.

2 things, anyone else buy knee pads for the kneeling swings? I found myself wanting to skip them so splurged for some knee pads at the hardware store.

Also is anyone else seeing their speeds on all three sticks converge? I haven't been gaining much with greens, stuck around 130 with greens, but went from 105 with the reds and now averaging high teens and usually hitting 120 at least once, blues I am now around 120 average with some close to 130.

I'm kind of the same right now, plateau'd with green and picking up a little with blue and red. My speed range between green and red is pretty narrow for whatever reason.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I'm kind of the same right now, plateau'd with green and picking up a little with blue and red. My speed range between green and red is pretty narrow for whatever reason.

I started noticing the same myself. I think it’s awsome. I’d rather see gains with the red club than the green.

I started noticing the same myself. I think it’s awsome. I’d rather see gains with the red club than the green.

Yeah, I mean really as long as my swing speed with driver hitting a ball keeps improving that's all I care.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I just restarted the protocol after taking two weeks off. I didn't have the radar until the end of my initial 5-6 weeks using SSG and decided to take time off to restart and keep data from the start. My numbers in my first session after the two weeks off were basically the same as they were when I stopped. I've only done two sessions so far, but 7 of the 10 numbers I am tracking decreased in my second session. I'm going to give it a solid 4 weeks with full data tracking and determine if I am seeing any improvement. In another couple of weeks I'll post a full recap of my numbers.

Saw my highest reading on the PGA SS monitors yesterday by 1 mph three separate times. Was pretty siked to see 130mph on the screen (inflated, but still). Ball speed was tied for highest so far as well.

I have been seeing incremental gains for the most part with each club, however, the Red seems to be the most difficult for me to gain with. Not sure why. I've still seen good gains with it for sure, but I feel like I should be swinging it faster.

Anyone else have a very wide range of swing speeds on SSR swinging the sticks? My range went from 80's to 130mph today doing the intro protocol. I had 1 swing at 130mph, one at 121 mph, and a bunch in the 110 - 115 range. But also had a bunch under 100mph as well.

I feel like my SSR does not work properly. It doesn't register my iron swing properly at all (with or without ball), but does a very good and consistent job of registering driver swings (108 - 114mph) and 3wood (102 - 106mph). Note that I made my own SSG sticks using washers, but the weights are very similar to original SSG (255g, 290g, 335g).

Has anyone had consistent and semi-accurate iron readings? I don't think mine reads the sticks properly, because most of my swings (when swinging super fast) are lower or much lower than my driver swing speed, even for the green stick.

Anyone else have a very wide range of swing speeds on SSR swinging the sticks? My range went from 80's to 130mph today doing the intro protocol. I had 1 swing at 130mph, one at 121 mph, and a bunch in the 110 - 115 range. But also had a bunch under 100mph as well.

I feel like my SSR does not work properly. It doesn't register my iron swing properly at all (with or without ball), but does a very good and consistent job of registering driver swings (108 - 114mph) and 3wood (102 - 106mph). Note that I made my own SSG sticks using washers, but the weights are very similar to original SSG (255g, 290g, 335g).

Has anyone had consistent and semi-accurate iron readings? I don't think mine reads the sticks properly, because most of my swings (when swinging super fast) are lower or much lower than my driver swing speed, even for the green stick.

PM me if you would like further explanation but the following things I have observed from others and or experienced myself.

1) SSR is not as accurate or repeatable with irons in general.

2) SSR is not accurate in general with driver but for many, it is repeatable.

3) The faster you swing, the more inaccurate ssr tends to be, my guess is because toe closure rate goes up as you swing faster.

4) SSR reads the SSG clubs very accurately, and its very repeatable, there is no toe to accidentally read, just a simple shape to lock on to.

5) The speed at which one can swing the red ssg club (as measured by ssr) seems to closely predict swing speed with a standard length driver as measured on trackman.

6) If your actual driver speed is a lot lower than red ssg speed, then you likely have a mental block that doesn't allow you to swing that fast when hitting a ball, or your red measurements are incorrect.

7) SSR can still be tricked with SSG clubs, especially with a very inside out swing. It will see a sudden jerk in swing path and read higher than true. Throw out high numbers that don't match your typical numbers.

8) If you swing the red ssg club at a tee or foam ball or something that you intend to hit, the SSR numbers you get should be even closer to what you can actually swing a standard length driver. It reduces the misread of a jerky swing path, and accounts for any mental block issues I mentioned earlier.

9) If you get readings all over the place with your SSG clubs, could mean low battery in radar, your home built clubs are not as simple in shape as ssg clubs and tougher for radar to read accurately and consistently, you don't consistently reach max speed where the radar is placed or you have an occasionally jerky swing path.

Again, these are from my personal experience and observations. I feel pretty good about all of them being quite true for the majority of people but of course I can't be 100 percent sure without a formal set of tests.

I hope that helps some.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

^ Awesome info.

Funny story....I was leaving the PGA SS the other day with the radar and I was exiting I looked down at it. Said 181. WTF? I must walk pretty fast lol.

PM me if you would like further explanation but the following things I have observed from others and or experienced myself.

3) The faster you swing, the more inaccurate ssr tends to be, my guess is because toe closure rate goes up as you swing faster.

4) SSR reads the SSG clubs very accurately, and its very repeatable, there is no toe to accidentally read, just a simple shape to lock on to.

5) The speed at which one can swing the red ssg club (as measured by ssr) seems to closely predict swing speed with a standard length driver as measured on trackman.

6) If your actual driver speed is a lot lower than red ssg speed, then you likely have a mental block that doesn't allow you to swing that fast when hitting a ball, or your red measurements are incorrect.

7) SSR can still be tricked with SSG clubs, especially with a very inside out swing. It will see a sudden jerk in swing path and read higher than true. Throw out high numbers that don't match your typical numbers.

8) If you swing the red ssg club at a tee or foam ball or something that you intend to hit, the SSR numbers you get should be even closer to what you can actually swing a standard length driver. It reduces the misread of a jerky swing path, and accounts for any mental block issues I mentioned earlier.

9) If you get readings all over the place with your SSG clubs, could mean low battery in radar, your home built clubs are not as simple in shape as ssg clubs and tougher for radar to read accurately and consistently, you don't consistently reach max speed where the radar is placed or you have an occasionally jerky swing path.

Again, these are from my personal experience and observations. I feel pretty good about all of them being quite true for the majority of people but of course I can't be 100 percent sure without a formal set of tests.

I hope that helps some.

Have you found that the SSR reads more "true" with a certain orientation of the unit? Meaning, do you set it up facing at a 45* angle like their instructions say to? I've seen enough videos/pictures where people basically have the radar facing them and not facing/oriented back at an angle.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I hope that helps some.

Have you found that the SSR reads more "true" with a certain orientation of the unit? Meaning, do you set it up facing at a 45* angle like their instructions say to? I've seen enough videos/pictures where people basically have the radar facing them and not facing/oriented back at an angle.

I got it to read more consistently and closer to real while testing simultaneously with a Trackman once. I had to move it back about 12 inches towards my trailing foot from the recommended position but I still kept the 45 degree angle. This essentially seems to account a bit for the high toe speed readings, but even then, I still got plenty of head scratcher numbers.

I really recommend that you judge your realistic driver speed potential by how fast you swing your red ssg club. Put a tee down, place the radar as recommended by the directions and swing that red club hard as you can and try and hit that tee. Swing 10 times. Throw out any numbers that deviate significantly from the majority of your swings. Take a look at your numbers and note your max and min when swinging all out. A person can have much more peace of mind knowing that those numbers are pretty legit.

Example for me personally. I own a homemade red ssg club equivalent and just the other night I recorded 121, 119, 123, 131, 134, 122, 124, 118, 125, 121. I threw out the 131 and 134. Reason being, highest ball speed I have ever recorded on Trackman was 185, highest I have recorded on my Skytrak is 184, and highest ball speed my SSR has ever recorded is 188. Pretty sure 131 and 134 are out of my range. The rest of the numbers jive with what I have recorded ball speed wise. On a good day, my solid hits typically range from 175 to 185.

This works for me anyways.

I hope that helps some.

I got it to read more consistently and closer to real while testing simultaneously with a Trackman once. I had to move it back about 12 inches towards my trailing foot from the recommended position but I still kept the 45 degree angle. This essentially seems to account a bit for the high toe speed readings, but even then, I still got plenty of head scratcher numbers.

I really recommend that you judge your realistic driver speed potential by how fast you swing your red ssg club. Put a tee down, place the radar as recommended by the directions and swing that red club hard as you can and try and hit that tee. Swing 10 times. Throw out any numbers that deviate significantly from the majority of your swings. Take a look at your numbers and note your max and min when swinging all out. A person can have much more peace of mind knowing that those numbers are pretty legit.

Example for me personally. I own a homemade red ssg club equivalent and just the other night I recorded 121, 119, 123, 131, 134, 122, 124, 118, 125, 121. I threw out the 131 and 134. Reason being, highest ball speed I have ever recorded on Trackman was 185, highest I have recorded on my Skytrak is 184, and highest ball speed my SSR has ever recorded is 188. Pretty sure 131 and 134 are out of my range. The rest of the numbers jive with what I have recorded ball speed wise. On a good day, my solid hits typically range from 175 to 185.

Do you also place it 12" back using the SSG clubs?

I really haven't had any abnormally high readings, which would jive with what you say above about swinging really inside out. I've never had an inside out path. I have been setting up with the SSR pretty much in line with my lead foot and then still angling 45* rearward when using the SuperSpeed sticks. Even when using driving and hitting a ball, I line up the center of the SSR with the ball and then angle 45* rearward which does a good job of reading. I've gotten anywhere from 108 - 116mph when hitting balls. I would guess my average the last couple of years was 108-109mph based on a driver fitting I did on an GC2 prior to starting SuperSpeed where most swings were in that range and then a couple higher into 110-111mph. So I feel like I am getting pretty good readings when hitting balls.

My swings with the red lately have been a couple of mph faster, I think I have gotten it up to 119 or 120mph with my good side.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I hope that helps some.

I really haven't had any abnormally high readings, which would jive with what you say above about swinging really inside out. I've never had an inside out path. I have been setting up with the SSR pretty much in line with my lead foot and then still angling 45* rearward when using the SuperSpeed sticks. Even when using driving and hitting a ball, I line up the center of the SSR with the ball and then angle 45* rearward which does a good job of reading. I've gotten anywhere from 108 - 116mph when hitting balls. I would guess my average the last couple of years was 108-109mph based on a driver fitting I did on an GC2 prior to starting SuperSpeed where most swings were in that range and then a couple higher into 110-111mph. So I feel like I am getting pretty good readings when hitting balls.

My swings with the red lately have been a couple of mph faster, I think I have gotten it up to 119 or 120mph with my good side.

No, I keep my radar in typical recommended position for SSG swings. I only move it back when swinging my driver to sort of offset what the toe reads do to inflate the speed reading. I would be curious to learn if your red swings also jive well with your standard driver swing. It seems to be rare, but sometimes the radar will read low speed for peoples drivers rather than too high. I always thought that was to do with a shiny hosel or a swing path difference which makes radar more likely to read the heel. Do you you know what your typical and highest ball speeds with driver are?

No, I keep my radar in typical recommended position for SSG swings. I only move it back when swinging my driver to sort of offset what the toe reads do to inflate the speed reading. I would be curious to learn if your red swings also jive well with your standard driver swing. It seems to be rare, but sometimes the radar will read low speed for peoples drivers rather than too high. I always thought that was to do with a shiny hosel or a swing path difference which makes radar more likely to read the heel. Do you you know what your typical and highest ball speeds with driver are?

No idea on ball speeds, haven't really ever been measured on ball speed. I guess I didn't really look at it or ask when I did my driver fitting. Focused on club head speed as well as dispersion.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen