SuperSpeed Golf training system

So, why wouldn't this just work with varying the weights on 3 different clubs (possibly more)? I am assuming the weights serve a specific purpose per actual scientific study, but for a low grade SSG setup why couldn't you just do the following:

Alignment stick

Alignment stick with some weight added

7 iron

4 iron with weight

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

So, why wouldn't this just work with varying the weights on 3 different clubs (possibly more)? I am assuming the weights serve a specific purpose per actual scientific study, but for a low grade SSG setup why couldn't you just do the following:

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

They have done some research on the specific weights of the weighted clubs they sell but you can totally swing something other than a SSG speed stick.

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

They have done some research on the specific weights of the weighted clubs they sell but you can totally swing something other than a SSG speed stick.

One thing to keep in mind is that the SSG sticks are all the same length which keeps everything relative. This is also why I opted to make my own with one shaft and interchangeable weights. The only problem is, time lost between sets by changing weights. I posted a photo of this several pages back. (page 74 if you are curious)

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

I'm guessing SW and kick point need to be close enough to your actual driver. You can find cheap driver shafts for $10, someone posted how to use a cap screw and washers on the end of a driver adapter to get the weights right. Not a lot of money, very similar outcome

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

I'm guessing SW and kick point need to be close enough to your actual driver. You can find cheap driver shafts for $10, someone posted how to use a cap screw and washers on the end of a driver adapter to get the weights right. Not a lot of money, very similar outcome

Yep, that was me (Page 74). The photo shown was taken prior to actual weighing. I had to remove some of the larger washers to get the weight down to where it should be. The concept I have was to be able to interchange the weights as needed. (I took the assembled shaft to UPS store and used their scale.) I will prolly buy my own at Staples or some place if I can find one for under $40. Another benefit is that I do not have to ruin a shaft. but merely remove the club head from my driver and then replace it after the session, but since I had an extra shaft,(with adapter) I did not even have to do that.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Food scale from amazon, less than $20

There ya go...Thanks! :taunt:

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Food scale from amazon, less than $20

There ya go...Thanks! :taunt:

So, if we build our own 3 sticks...what should the TOTAL weight be for the 3 sticks ? Thanks

Green 45 inches 255g (20% lighter than driver)

Blue 45 inches 290g

Red 45 inches 335g (5% Heavier than driver).

Overall weights

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Yep, those are all from the SSG website. I used the food scale (which I already have for all my other club building), weight the shaft+grip to see ball park needed per stick. Im a geek so I 3D modeled the weights to get the exact length of each one assuming I was using 1" brass round stock. They ended up being a bit heavier than calculated (density must have been different), so I drilled holes on the other end to dial them in to gram

You can just as easily weight the adapter/screw/washers :taunt:

You might also want to measure your actual driver and go off that, esp if you play a heavier one

I haven't been quite as religious with the program as I was at the beginning. Definitely was seeing large gains at the beginning with the SSR and in ball speed as well. Recently I went to a Trackman fitting and my highest SS was 117.9. I'm sure I could've gotten it up to ~119-120 possibly if I really ripped into one. Previous highest a few years ago was 114.8 BUT, I only took 1 driver swing during that session. Ball speeds weren't great either, with my max being 171.4 compared to mid-to-high 170s I've been seeing on AboutGolf simulators and 174 max on GC2. I will be getting another fit on GC Quad in the coming months to see where I'm striking the Driver.

I've noticed the last few weeks I've lost some speed based on my averages, but I've also been doing them primarily outside in the freezing cold. Once I go indoors (1x a week tops) I notice my speeds increase back up to my average. BUT IT WORKS!!

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Purchased the super speed sticks and used them three times this week with the ssr. I believe this program has great potential, really seemed loosen up my body with the light sticks to allow faster swings with the heavy stick.

I was averaging 136 on the green sticks for the week with a high of 144 a few times, first goal is to push this to over 150 consistently.

Red stick 120 average for week with high of 126, goal is to be over 130 consistently.

I suppose based on that it makes sense to shoot for 140-145 speeds with the blue but for now they were 127 average.

My concern is the step swings/ running swings, i fear i am going to misplant my left foot and put too much torque on the left knee, i may jump into kneeling swings instead.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

Can you send me a link to the research they’ve done on the specific weights? I haven’t seen it. I know under and over weight swing research exists, but I have not seen their research showing their weights are the most effective.

I haven't been quite as religious with the program as I was at the beginning. Definitely was seeing large gains at the beginning with the SSR and in ball speed as well. Recently I went to a Trackman fitting and my highest SS was 117.9. I'm sure I could've gotten it up to ~119-120 possibly if I really ripped into one. Previous highest a few years ago was 114.8 BUT, I only took 1 driver swing during that session. Ball speeds weren't great either, with my max being 171.4 compared to mid-to-high 170s I've been seeing on AboutGolf simulators and 174 max on GC2. I will be getting another fit on GC Quad in the coming months to see where I'm striking the Driver.

I've noticed the last few weeks I've lost some speed based on my averages, but I've also been doing them primarily outside in the freezing cold. Once I go indoors (1x a week tops) I notice my speeds increase back up to my average. BUT IT WORKS!!

Swing speed is a strange thing. Just being in an uncomfortable environment and my body automatically slows down. Just losing a little bit of confidence in my swing and I slow down. Just being a little bit under the weather and my swing slows down. I have been on Trackman and only able to swing 115, and then on another occasion, 125 so hang in there, it just wasn't your best swinging day but you are still well above average with your swing speed. Just think of how far they will go with that swing speed and middled contact every time. That thought right there drives me to improve my swing in both speed and contact. I love seeing bombs that take 9 seconds to land, and land in the fairway.

Edit: Question for you, what are your max numbers with each club atm? You are close to what I am actual clubhead speed wise. Just looking for another data point in my red club swing speed theory I have.

Thanks.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

Can you send me a link to the research they've done on the specific weights? I haven't seen it. I know under and over weight swing research exists, but I have not seen their research showing their weights are the most effective.

I would imagine we will never really see that information as it is proprietary to their process.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

Can you send me a link to the research they've done on the specific weights? I haven't seen it. I know under and over weight swing research exists, but I have not seen their research showing their weights are the most effective.

I would imagine we will never really see that information as it is proprietary to their process.

or part of marketing hype. Nothing wrong with that either. I am sure the makers put in some sort of research to come up with numbers they did and probably not just trial and error. I sent them a recommendation of threading the end of driver shaft and then screwing in the individual weights as needed and they told me that they had experimented with that but opted to go with their current process. Hey, if they can put threads on a tube of tooth paste, I see no reason why it could not be done on a golf shaft.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

So been doing these off and on for close to 3 years now. I have aquired a left thumb soreness (right handed golfer) Does anyone have any ideas on what has caused this? Any remedies? Thanks as always...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Alignment stick

7 iron

4 iron with weight

or part of marketing hype. Nothing wrong with that either. I am sure the makers put in some sort of research to come up with numbers they did and probably not just trial and error. I sent them a recommendation of threading the end of driver shaft and then screwing in the individual weights as needed and they told me that they had experimented with that but opted to go with their current process. Hey, if they can put threads on a tube of tooth paste, I see no reason why it could not be done on a golf shaft.

Could easily be done...and I'd pay them the same for 1 shaft and 3 weights. :nyam:

So been doing these off and on for close to 3 years now. I have aquired a left thumb soreness (right handed golfer) Does anyone have any ideas on what has caused this? Any remedies? Thanks as always...

I get more sore in a bad way swinging a dry club of any kind that hard simply I think because your body has to absorb all of that club energy that wasn't used on hitting a golf ball. If you hit a golf ball you don't have to absorb nearly as much energy to stop that club. Over time, the SSG club can hurt you so you have to take breaks for sure. Just my two cents on what I see from me and why I typically stick to getting the same type of workout by hitting golf balls full tilt.

Could easily be done...and I'd pay them the same for 1 shaft and 3 weights. :nyam:

I would be worried they would come loose over time. I would feel better if it was a torqued down screw like many of our drivers are secured. That is just me though.

That is what I did. I used an M6 cap screw and washers. It ain't going nowhere, but if I were worried, I would use a bit of low strength Loctite. I still recommend using the manufacturer's product if only for the reason they have used some research. (It also provides justification for spending the bucks).

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Today another speed training device appeared in my inbox. It is called Super Sonic X-10 and the video is from Peter Kostis.

It appears to combine the "Speed stick" (the one with sliding, audible component) with the Super Speed system. The main difference (other than the slide) is that it has a swing speed radar device mounted on the end of the shaft. I don't know how accurate it is, but it does have the adjustable resistance that the speed stick has and measures swing speed up to 120 mph. Price is $119. I would not mind seeing a review on this.

NEVER MIND! I found some reviews and I will pass on this one. Quality is questionable.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

I did the training last season pretty diligently for about 3 months. I golf 2-3x per week and noticed about a 10-15 yard gain with my driver. However, I noticed a definite dropoff in my accuracy and my touch shots suffered the most. My wedge play was the worst I have seen it since I can remember, just struggling to make proper contact on a 70 yard shot. I remember asking the SS Golf creators about this, and wondering if perhaps I should swing more "under control" while doing the training and they said absolutely not, swing as hard as you can. I tend to go well past parallel when doing this, and come out of my posture a bit more than I'd like.

I have since eliminated the step-through swings because it's just not comparable to a golf swing for me and where I would be swinging the fastest compared to my driver. For those interested, I swing the light stick about 140 doing the step-thru and my driver around 112-115.

Now I just bounce between the regular swings and the kneeling swings (great for shoulder turn mobility) and try to maintain proper balance and form more than before. I would advise people to be careful with swinging as ridiculously fast as possible because it may backfire. Just my experience, I've read much of this thread and know many of you have had more success with this than I have.

well, my speed training was short lived. I finally achieved a nice inside-out path with speed, but I guess it was a bit much as I managed to hit the SSR. I took it apart and noted it was fairly simply built and the screen was easily removeable. I sent email off to the company and they are sending me a new LCD screen at no charge. It should be okay as there was no other noticeable damage. LCD has a penny sized black spot (bruise), but everything else looks fine. The unit is pretty hardy it seems. We shall see. FWIW, I have gained 20 mph in dry swings.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

well, my speed training was short lived. I finally achieved a nice inside-out path with speed, but I guess it was a bit much as I managed to hit the SSR. I took it apart and noted it was fairly simply built and the screen was easily removeable. I sent email off to the company and they are sending me a new LCD screen at no charge. It should be okay as there was no other noticeable damage. LCD has a penny sized black spot (bruise), but everything else looks fine. The unit is pretty hardy it seems. We shall see. FWIW, I have gained 20 mph in dry swings.

A friend of mine bought the swing speed radar they offer to help with his speed training. I tried it out of curiosity and found it to be wildly inaccurate. It was giving me a club head speed of 136 mph with my 3 wood. Other, much more expensive units, GCQuad etc., have me consistantly at 98-102 with the driver. Which is consistant with my on course carry distances. My friend was getting a club head speed of about 115 with a driver. He typically is in the 90 mph range on the course. Which is born out by his carry distances of 215-220. Anyone else having these issues with this unit? I suggested he send it back as defective.

A friend of mine bought the swing speed radar they offer to help with his speed training. I tried it out of curiosity and found it to be wildly inaccurate. It was giving me a club head speed of 136 mph with my 3 wood. Other, much more expensive units, GCQuad etc., have me consistantly at 98-102 with the driver. Which is consistant with my on course carry distances. My friend was getting a club head speed of about 115 with a driver. He typically is in the 90 mph range on the course. Which is born out by his carry distances of 215-220. Anyone else having these issues with this unit? I suggested he send it back as defective.

There appears to be quite a difference in the readings depending on placement of the unit. Others have told me that the best results are to place the unit 8 Inches so in front of the unit (towards the target) facing back at about a 45 degree angle. Regardless, of the readings are once you decide where to place it, they will serve as a benchmark. Some have told me that the readings are within 2-3 mph of Trackman. My own experience shows my air swings are faster than with a ball, but the manufacturer says just the opposite is supposed to happen. So, for me, I just look for improvement regardless of the actual numbers. I tried the SC100 and observed the same as you with SSR and I sent it back, BUT the numbers were all over the place and many swings would not even register. As for distance, I have read that carry is 2.4 x swing speed with driver and 1.7 x swing speed with mid iron.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

You probably have it on baseball setting. Press the button to toggle indicator to golf club

Nah, he probably has it on kilometers instead of MPH.

My problem with the unit is that it doesn't register air swings properly at all for me. I can swing the driver 110 when hitting the ball (SSR is pretty accurate with this, but still has its issues of +/- 5mph or more sometimes). But then when I take the exact same swing without a ball, it only registers 90 mph. I know it is not me "releasing way past where the ball would be" like the manual says. Because I even put a tee in the ground and tried to whack it like a golf ball and still only 90mph.

I think what is happening is that it doesn't register the clubhead properly (doesn't seem to register my SSG sticks properly either). It will register the ball when hit, and I place it like manual says, so the ball is only registered when on clubface. And maybe a split second after it leaves clubface, hence I get some readings +5-10mph higher.

Overall, I sent one unit back and got a second one and same issues. I even swung both side by side and one swing they are dead on (+/-1mph within each other, but still off by 20mph IMO on air swings) and others they are off by 3mph or more from each other. So there is a lot of variability, and best to use these units to measure averages and overall progress. E.g. day 1 hitting balls on range I was 102-107mph. Now I am 114-118mph. While my actual swing is about 110mph. Reason for those higher readings is because I try to hit the ball as hard as possible when using SSR, so I probably do crank it up to 115mph when warmed up and really going after it.

I've been having issues with my SSR lately too. It used to be extremely consistent but now I get readings all over the place. I'll swing a stick that should be reading around mid 120's and it will show 110, then 113, then 126, then 110, etc. If I hadn't used this for about 4-5 months already and never had this problem I would think it was my swing.

Does anyone else have issues with their SSR reading all over the place? Maybe I need new batteries? Does lighting affect readings?

I've been having issues with my SSR lately too. It used to be extremely consistent but now I get readings all over the place. I'll swing a stick that should be reading around mid 120's and it will show 110, then 113, then 126, then 110, etc. If I hadn't used this for about 4-5 months already and never had this problem I would think it was my swing.

Does anyone else have issues with their SSR reading all over the place? Maybe I need new batteries? Does lighting affect readings?

Try new batteries. I think mine always got wacky when it was low on battery.