SuperSpeed Golf training system

^ Clubhead speed is important, but ball speed is premium. I understand doing the SSG you want to see clubhead speed increase, but the end goal is really to increase ball speed as an effect of increasing club speed.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

^ Clubhead speed is important, but ball speed is premium. I understand doing the SSG you want to see clubhead speed increase, but the end goal is really to increase ball speed as an effect of increasing club speed.

I understand this, I just don't have access to a means for measuring ball speed so I measure clubhead speed. Ball speed is a result of clubhead speed & impact, so all else being equal an increase in clubhead speed results in an increase in ball speed. I understand the golf swing doesn't exist in a vacuum and that impact will likely be affected by trying to swing faster, but all the same ball speed will increase at some rate if clubhead speed is increasing unless the smash factor really goes down.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I understand this, I just don't have access to a means for measuring ball speed so I measure clubhead speed. Ball speed is a result of clubhead speed & impact, so all else being equal an increase in clubhead speed results in an increase in ball speed. I understand the golf swing doesn't exist in a vacuum and that impact will likely be affected by trying to swing faster, but all the same ball speed will increase at some rate if clubhead speed is increasing unless the smash factor really goes down.

Knowing ball speed is a good means of verifying your swing speed results. You can lay down your SSR and try to hit low bullets over it into a net. It can be difficult to get it to read reliably but if you get it just right, you can rattle off a bunch of good reads in a row. Just be careful not to hit the SSR. If anything, it should read low due to cosine effect. If it pops out some really high number, disregard it.

Edit: Just to add to this, knowing ball speed (which is generally easier for radar devices to read accurately vs your swing speed) helps keep a person grounded with reality. I have had several times now where I thought I hit my goal of 130 mph swing speed, but until I see balls in the 190s on a legit launch monitor, I won't believe it. So for now, I know what are realistic swing speeds for me and I know how much bs my SSR is giving me when I swing my driver. Very helpful. I recommend something like a Mevo, or Swing Caddie to help with this when hitting balls at the range or at home into a net. It will help supplement with information the SSR can't easily provide.

Edit 2: Swing caddies struggle to read over 175 mph just fyi for you big hitters. This is at least true for the SC100, I was told the same for SC200 but I have seen it read 176 before so idk.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I didn't realize you dont have access to a launch monitor, my bad!

I was only able to get the SSR to read ball speed once like 2 years ago. I've only tried a couple times but I think I will try it again this week.

Totally agree ball speed keeps your swing speed numbers in check. I was seeing club speed of 130 the other day but with max ball speed of 178, I know the absolute max it could be is 120. I know the monitor reads high anyway, just reiterating the point. It's the same monitor Alex from Golfbox on YouTube uses.

I was only able to get the SSR to read ball speed once like 2 years ago. I've only tried a couple times but I think I will try it again this week.

Totally agree ball speed keeps your swing speed numbers in check. I was seeing club speed of 130 the other day but with max ball speed of 178, I know the absolute max it could be is 120. I know the monitor reads high anyway, just reiterating the point. It's the same monitor Alex from Golfbox on YouTube uses.

I got it to read well for many shots ONE TIME. It has been difficult to find that butter zone again, it often picks up the club speed instead of ball. I had it about 5 feet in front laying down and I hit as low of bullets as I could with driver over it to give it the best chance. Had reasonable high numbers show up, but it also had low numbers when I would hit it too high and offline. If you can find the butter zone, it can be fun to try and get big numbers.

I got it to read well for many shots ONE TIME. It has been difficult to find that butter zone again, it often picks up the club speed instead of ball. I had it about 5 feet in front laying down and I hit as low of bullets as I could with driver over it to give it the best chance. Had reasonable high numbers show up, but it also had low numbers when I would hit it too high and offline. If you can find the butter zone, it can be fun to try and get big numbers.

Were you able to pop 190? I ask because I know you said you are typically high 170s - mid 180s, so if you popped 190 that gives me a chance to hit 180!! Lol.

Were you able to pop 190? I ask because I know you said you are typically high 170s - mid 180s, so if you popped 190 that gives me a chance to hit 180!! Lol.

188 is my highest on there. Good strikes that I hit low read 178-184 typically. I contacted the maker of SSR and he confirmed that if anything, it would read low (barring any obvious outliers from interference or other). I had my Skytrak on simultaneously, and the ones that read the best were sub 12 degree launches, my 188 was 16 degrees, so in theory, given the cosine effect, it could have been 190 but I haven't been able to repeat it. I was feeling REALLY strong that day.

Edit: added gif I made when I got it to read consistently. Note, I was barefooted for all but the 188. I put shoes on to get that lol. I had plenty of bad strikes and really low reads from hitting too high and not directly over the radar that I did not take a pic of. Just took pics of my well struck, and well picked up balls.

How are you facing the unit? Perhaps I was doing it wrong and I believe I was. I was doing Scenario 1 below, which just seems wrong given the way it faces when you measure CHS. Oops.

How are you facing the unit? Perhaps I was doing it wrong and I believe I was. I was doing Scenario 1 below, which just seems wrong given the way it faces when you measure CHS. Oops.

#1, but i don't think it actually matters much, given the way radar works.

I assume the radar works/reads perpendicular to the face of the SSR, so if it's flat on it's back it's reading straight up vertically and the orientation anywhere from 0-360* wouldn't matter.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I guess that's true. It may be easier to read in scenario 2 though, since it's taller than it is wide. Will try and report back.

Does anyone else feel soreness in the lower left back (for righties) after doing a session? I always feel something in the lower left back, right on the belt line.

I sometimes do, but that existed for me before ever doing SuperSpeed and is something I have been trying to pin-point and work on for about a year now.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Does anyone else feel soreness in the lower left back (for righties) after doing a session? I always feel something in the lower left back, right on the belt line.

I sometimes do, but that existed for me before ever doing SuperSpeed and is something I have been trying to pin-point and work on for about a year now.

I have it at times, its called goat hump. At least that is my problem.

I believe core weakness can be a culprit of lower back pain after rigorous swinging. I too, have it from time to time after swinging, typically the next day. It doesn't linger or remain painful, but it's something I'm looking into. Strengthening the core is always helpful for any sport.

Soooooooooo, I got exactly 7 SuperSpeed sessions in before I accidentally hit the radar and smashed it into 1000 pieces. I have no idea how it happened. I was on a hitting mat, it was sitting off. I don't know if the mat moved in transition or I just lost focus. Luckily, I was swinging right-handed into a swinging bay and no one was hurt.

:censored2:

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Soooooooooo, I got exactly 7 SuperSpeed sessions in before I accidentally hit the radar and smashed it into 1000 pieces. I have no idea how it happened. I was on a hitting mat, it was sitting off. I don't know if the mat moved in transition or I just lost focus. Luckily, I was swinging right-handed into a swinging bay and no one was hurt.

Don't feel too bad, I have gone through a few for exactly the same reasons. I don't know how it happens, just a practice swing and I am just not aware of how close I am to the radar at times.

That sucks. Full disclosure, I have done the same thing.

Ugh! Sorry about that. I won't lie, I grazed it the other day doing the left green swing. Thank goodness I just grazed it, which resulted in just a small crack on the bottom.

At least it's proof we're all swinging out of our shoes!!

Ugh! Sorry about that. I won't lie, I grazed it the other day doing the left green swing. Thank goodness I just grazed it, which resulted in just a small crack on the bottom.

At least it's proof we're all swinging out of our shoes!!

This has definitely been a fear of mine since starting SuperSpeed. I can tell I'm pretty conservative/tentative in how high above the ground I swing, especially left handed because a good number of my lefty swings don't get read by the radar.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So after finishing the 24 weeks of Level 2 Protocols, and mixing in the Level 3 protocols, did some of y’all just start over from the beginning? Trying to figure out where to go from here.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Appreciate all those sharing their experiences here. I haven't tried the SS system, but I watched all the protocol videos and I'm left with a lingering question - if one sort of followed the protocols by just swinging regular clubs hard for the months required, how closely would the gains match the SS system? It seems that just swinging really hard (not at a ball) in the same way, week after week, one would build up more strength and speed without needing to purchase or make the SS clubs. How much of the gains are really from their different weighted clubs and how much are really from just working out hard for months?

Appreciate all those sharing their experiences here. I haven't tried the SS system, but I watched all the protocol videos and I'm left with a lingering question - if one sort of followed the protocols by just swinging regular clubs hard for the months required, how closely would the gains match the SS system? It seems that just swinging really hard (not at a ball) in the same way, week after week, one would build up more strength and speed without needing to purchase or make the SS clubs. How much of the gains are really from their different weighted clubs and how much are really from just working out hard for months?

Just from my own personal experience, similar gains can be had just by swinging hard as you can at the driving range for a while each time you go. To me, this system provides a more structured way of upping your capabilities in the form of an exercise, and doesn't require you to possibly embarass yourself at a driving range. I personally feel swinging an actual club at a ball is a better use of time and might even yield better results but not everyone can do that in the winter so these ssg clubs really come in handy for those people that can't.

In my opinion, if you prefer to use your driver and do dry swings or hit balls as hard as you can to up your speed, good for you. Other options are to buy SSG clubs or make your own on the cheap. Whatever you choose to do, sticking with it is the key to success imo.

No one would be able to answer your questions accurately.

If you have lower back pain that’s not associated with a disk this little stretch gets rid of the pain immediately.

This video helped me tremendously.

A radar is a must, the feedback is the key. I'd say youd lose some gains by not swinging the lighter club FAST.

As I continue the journey I'm realising that swinging the lighter club at max speed is really targeting something different from the heavier club at something short of max speed. For clarity I'm trying to swing both max, but I hit max speed with the lighter one obviously.

Take things to the extreme. Swinging a very heavy club at 90mph will train something different to a very light club swinging at 140mph. Yes moving from the heavy to the light will yeild results, and it will feel very light. But I'd be surprised if someone could swing at 90 for 6 months and all of a sudden flip a switch and start hitting 140mph.

The brain and muscles need to learn and train fast

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Just from my own personal experience, similar gains can be had just by swinging hard as you can at the driving range for a while each time you go. To me, this system provides a more structured way of upping your capabilities in the form of an exercise, and doesn't require you to possibly embarass yourself at a driving range. I personally feel swinging an actual club at a ball is a better use of time and might even yield better results but not everyone can do that in the winter so these ssg clubs really come in handy for those people that can't.

In my opinion, if you prefer to use your driver and do dry swings or hit balls as hard as you can to up your speed, good for you. Other options are to buy SSG clubs or make your own on the cheap. Whatever you choose to do, sticking with it is the key to success imo.

I agree with all that is said here. You just have to make a commitment to swinging hard. SSR is a must too as it will give you feedback on what swinging faster really feels like.

I would say that the SSR is more important than SSG to gain swing speed. If you could only buy one without the other, I would go with SSR. You will gain more swing speed from swinging driver hard on range with SSR feedback than swinging SSG sticks in your back yard with no SSR feedback.

That said, if you have will and time to do the SSG training, I would recommend it. Swinging driver hard on range and doing SSG program will get you even more distance. But 80% of those gains can be had without SSG sticks. E.g. you might go from 100mph to 108mph with only SSR and swinging hard on range. But might go from 100mph to 110mph if you do SSR on range and SSG at home.

I have a lot of data from my own experience that supports my thesis. I will try to share it later today.

Still haven't tried to read ball speed, but topped my PR again today and didn't have a single driver swing under 112mph out of probably 12-15 swings after my SuperSpeed session today. I'll be thrilled to average 112+mph this coming season.

http://imgur.com/a/uBrRaaz

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen