SuperSpeed Golf training system

It has been noted here several times, that when making swings with actual driver and no ball, the SSR will read 5 to 10 mph slower than when swinging and actually hitting a ball. I have found this to be true. When hitting a ball, my speed shows upper 80's to low 90's. When just swinging without a ball, I am 78 to 83 most swings. Just did a short session indoors with about a dozen swings without ball. Most swings 79 to 81 with a best of 85.

I also have recently gotten a swing caddie (for use only with ball) and will be interested to see how the swing speeds match up. We have a simulator at our clubhouse that I plan to use twice a week after the holidays are over. Goal is to get most of my swings in the 95 to 98 range by mid spring. Not much golf to be played here in northwestern VA this time of the year. Hope to get to FL in late Feb/early Mar.

You guys swinging 150 need to work on your putting instead. lol

This is a Superspeed Golf thread. Go putt somewhere else! :pimp:

I've been putting in my den :)

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

It has been noted here several times, that when making swings with actual driver and no ball, the SSR will read 5 to 10 mph slower than when swinging and actually hitting a ball. I have found this to be true. When hitting a ball, my speed shows upper 80's to low 90's. When just swinging without a ball, I am 78 to 83 most swings. Just did a short session indoors with about a dozen swings without ball. Most swings 79 to 81 with a best of 85.

I also have recently gotten a swing caddie (for use only with ball) and will be interested to see how the swing speeds match up. We have a simulator at our clubhouse that I plan to use twice a week after the holidays are over. Goal is to get most of my swings in the 95 to 98 range by mid spring. Not much golf to be played here in northwestern VA this time of the year. Hope to get to FL in late Feb/early Mar.

There's a post in here somewhere,but with a ball you need set the radar up more toward your rear foot and to angle the radar at 45 degrees so it's pointing at your back foot. Otherwise it picks up the ball.

I used to get higher readings with a ball (108-110 vs 95 on practice swings) until I started doing the above set up, now practice swings and ball swings are close to the same speed, thanks to SSG that's around 110 ?

I've tried to measure ball speed with the SSR, but have only been successful once. I think I put it like 5-6 feet in front of the tee (if not more). Tried this at the range the other day with the radar ~3 feet ahead of the ball and got some low readings off the Driver, around 143mph I think. More testing needed.

When using a ball, I set up with it about even with the ball but angled at 45 deg. back toward rear foot. Use same set up for practice swings. I agree that there is possibly some influence from the ball, but if it was using ball speed with a 100 mph swing, you would be seeing 145 to 150.

Well I think it's probably getting the ball and the club and confusing the heck out of the radar. That's the only reason it would make sense to see higher with a ball unless your swing is dramatically different.

I would try moving it back 6 inches or so. That fixed it for me.

The image below shows how I setup for hitting driver with a ball. Only real variance between this and when I swing the superspeed sticks is as follows:

1) SSR further forward, basically in line with front foot

2) SSR is facing more "up" (toward ceiling) to accommodate swinging a few inches above the ground.

If the SSR is angled 45° toward your rear, I'm not sure how it would pick up ball speed.

CK3M2gj.jpg

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I have always thought that the speed differences with and without a ball is all mental. One swing you don't intend to hit anything, and another you do. Even focusing on a blade of grass or a tee might not make you get the same results. I suppose it can also have to do with position of radar relative to your actual point of peak speed. Those two things I think can be one and the same sometimes or other times completely different.

For me, I am the opposite as I have mentioned a few times in here. I swing more free knowing I don't have to hit anything and my speeds are much much higher. Put a ball down and now my brain puts a governor on things because my swing is not controlled enough full speed to even hit the ball.

Example, dry swing with my driver all out is typically 130-135. With a ball its 125-130. There have been times I have been able to match and exceed my dry swings with a ball in front of me but that has been when my swing feels efficient and I am also able to effectively convince myself that there is no ball.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

150 mph RH Step-Change:

[media=]

[/media]

Please excuse Tommy Two Gloves here :taunt: I got mad blisters last time I went lefty (I need to regrip).

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

150 mph RH Step-Change:

[media=]

[/media]

Please excuse Tommy Two Gloves here :taunt: I got mad blisters last time I went lefty (I need to regrip).

Nice work, that's awesome!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

150 mph RH Step-Change:

[media=]

[/media]

Lol nice. I wear 2 gloves lefty too for the same reason.

I may try the sway and see if it helps any.

Must be nice doing it in a t-shirt.

:to_become_senile:

Unseasonable 45-55* week here in KC. It was borderline, but I was warmed up and doing my SS before the gym. I'm going to have to finagle some space in the garage starting next week.

Taylormade TP5

I've gotten back into the program again in the last few weeks (back to the intro protocol after a 6 month break) and have been seeing increases pretty much every session. Then today I did it in the morning instead of the afternoon when I normally do it and was back to around my starting swing speeds. Would you say it's not worth doing in the morning for me as I can't keep the speed up, or would it still have benefits?

For those who have been using the system for a while now, how is your long term results?

I have been using them off and on since they came out 2+ years ago. I live in Bend OR and we shut it down for the year around Dec, pick back up in March. During these last two winters I have done this system 2 to 3 times a week. I notice in the begging of they season my club head speed is faster for sure. I struggle to keep doing the system during the season. My swing speed slows down through out the year for sure but my overall baseling is about 3mph higher than when I started it. I am 47 years old and a +2 handicap for reference...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

For those who have been using the system for a while now, how is your long term results?

I have been using them off and on since they came out 2+ years ago. I live in Bend OR and we shut it down for the year around Dec, pick back up in March. During these last two winters I have done this system 2 to 3 times a week. I notice in the begging of they season my club head speed is faster for sure. I struggle to keep doing the system during the season. My swing speed slows down through out the year for sure but my overall baseling is about 3mph higher than when I started it. I am 47 years old and a +2 handicap for reference...

Sounds very similar to my experiences. I wonder what they advise for maintaining during season. It doesn't seem realistic for pros or amateurs to swing all-out 90+ times 120+ MPH 3 times per week during the competitive season (daily practicing, weekly competition, etc.). I wonder what they tell their pros on Tour to do weekly.

Taylormade TP5

Sounds very similar to my experiences. I wonder what they advise for maintaining during season. It doesn't seem realistic for pros or amateurs to swing all-out 90+ times 120+ MPH 3 times per week during the competitive season (daily practicing, weekly competition, etc.). I wonder what they tell their pros on Tour to do weekly.

I couldn't find anything definitive on their website, but just given what they recommend for protocols I'd have to think they have you doing during golf season.

"Level 2 Protocol – Begin during the 17th week of training and continue for 4-6 months."

Just to get from into protocol through level 2 requires 8-10 months. I know some of us have long winter layoffs but not that long.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I couldn't find anything definitive on their website, but just given what they recommend for protocols I'd have to think they have you doing during golf season.

"Level 2 Protocol – Begin during the 17th week of training and continue for 4-6 months."

Just to get from into protocol through level 2 requires 8-10 months. I know some of us have long winter layoffs but not that long.

It's not something you put down when golf season starts. This should be a part of your weekly practice from now until forever.

I don't agree with everything Clay teaches or says, but I do like several of his videos. This is one. Just another voice preaching my personal mantra regarding upping your speed by swinging all out with your driver when you practice. He also preaches other things you find taboo in golf instruction these days which I love. I say if you can make it work and work well, swing ugly (although I personally think swings like Bubba's and Jack Nicklaus' were awesome, I have ended up swinging very much the same by teaching myself and not trying to copy anyone, it just feels natural). This is part of what makes SSG work so well, its doing something similar imo.

[media=]

[/media]

I don't yet know how to embed a video, I will research and do that in a bit here. (Bingo, got it)

I had sort of a down session this afternoon, and didn't really exceed any of my previous bests with any color on either side.

On the bright side, I was hitting balls after and decided to take a few driver rips. Set a PR at 116mph, which is two higher than my previous high. Pretty pumped!

CWxuY1F.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Quick question for you guys. I’ve been wanting to get the super speed sticks for a while. How essential is the radar? I’ve got access to a gc quad so I can take club head speeds when hitting balls but obviously that won’t work with the sticks. Is the radar seen as essential even when you have access to a launch monitor?

Quick question for you guys. I’ve been wanting to get the super speed sticks for a while. How essential is the radar? I’ve got access to a gc quad so I can take club head speeds when hitting balls but obviously that won’t work with the sticks. Is the radar seen as essential even when you have access to a launch monitor?

Seeing the speeds on individual swings and improvement visually each session is huge. To me personally it's a huge motivator.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Seeing the speeds on individual swings and improvement visually each session is huge. To me personally it's a huge motivator.

This. For me I would make a goal, then add 5 mph and go for that goal. It snowballed and had kept me working at it.

I've got the sticks and the radar is under the Xmas tree. I'm telling you right now you need the radar!

Yes of course you can swing the sticks without it, but your missing the point of brain training fast. You NEED those numbers on everyswing to feed your brain fast or slow feedback.

I'm guessing you would lose about 50% of effectiveness without it

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2