SuperSpeed Golf training system

Guys, if you're thinking about form while doing SSG, you're not doing it correctly.

The objective is to swing out of your shoes, to train your body to learn how to go fast.

DaveMac...that may be the sole reason you haven't seen gains.

Guys/Gals...Don't swing the sticks like you would swing at the course. Swing them as fast as you possibly can. Out of your shoes fast. Almost falling over...twisting into your lead leg on the through swing fast.

Find Tyler Parsons' YouTube videos as a good instruction series on how to swing these things.

TLDR version = swing out of your shoes on every swing...set form to the side while training. Then clean up the swing at the range.

^^^ This x 1,000.

Very difficult mental hurdle for some to get over at first. Supposedly can be more difficult for very accomplished golfers according to the SSG guys...

Wanted to post a quick update. I have always been a 95-100 mph swinger. I've did the sticks for about 2 months in the spring, when I was playing no golf, went to the course and swing was completly lost. I blamed the sticks and put them away during the season and re-found my swing.

Started at it about 3 months ago again, 2-3x per week but added a lot of swings with my actual driver focusing on face angle at impact. Was on a trackman yesterday after not hitting many balls lately and was shocked to see the my lowest swing was 105 mph and when I started working on stepping on it I got a few up to 112-114 mph. The 'normal' 105 swing had as good or better control then I typically have had. I was carrying the ball into a pretty stiff headwind past where I normally land it on a calm day...has me really excited for next year! Hoping if I keep at it through the winter I can get 110 mph to be my stock speed.

I'm sold on the sticks and kicking myself for not sticking with them all summer.

I agree regarding the SSR. I didn't start seeing steady improvement in speeds until I ended up purchasing an SSR and consistently tracking my results. Without it, you're pretty much in the dark. Now every session I'm trying to better my previous best with each club/motion.

A few questions...my step swings are slower than the speed I get standing with the same color club? Not sure if the problem here is technique or maybe I'm not swinging directly in front of the SSR since I'm moving. What is your experience with the step swing?

Also, how would you say your actual driver speed compares to the green/blue/red?

There lies the problem with not using a SSR. Without instantaneous feedback you can’t notice little changes or different feels that give you more speed, thus remaining stuck in old bad habits. Faster swings aren’t always due to more effort. A change in movement is needed.

Point taken.

Still very frustrated by my lack of progress.

I agree regarding the SSR. I didn't start seeing steady improvement in speeds until I ended up purchasing an SSR and consistently tracking my results. Without it, you're pretty much in the dark. Now every session I'm trying to better my previous best with each club/motion.

A few questions...my step swings are slower than the speed I get standing with the same color club? Not sure if the problem here is technique or maybe I'm not swinging directly in front of the SSR since I'm moving. What is your experience with the step swing?

Also, how would you say your actual driver speed compares to the green/blue/red?

My step swings were always slower, too. My actual driver speed avg was 18/24/36 mph less than my red/blue/green pr’s.

There lies the problem with not using a SSR. Without instantaneous feedback you can't notice little changes or different feels that give you more speed, thus remaining stuck in old bad habits. Faster swings aren't always due to more effort. A change in movement is needed.

Point taken.

I hear you. Feedback is incredibly important, though.

Think about learning to walk as a baby... really complex motor movements, and unable to understand directions from adults in English, yet they get it because they have pure feedback on whether the combination of muscle movements and pressure shift are accomplishing the desired outcome (i.e. are they still upright, or on their butts). Put it all together and even if babies could understand us it'd be nigh-on impossible to explain to them what to do. Feedback is all they need. Learning to walk in zero gravity, on the other hand - with no real feedback- and then taking those skills to earth and assuming you 'had the movements' would probably yield really poor results.

There lies the problem with not using a SSR. Without instantaneous feedback you can't notice little changes or different feels that give you more speed, thus remaining stuck in old bad habits. Faster swings aren't always due to more effort. A change in movement is needed.

Point taken.

I've been frustrated after seeing little or no progress as well. I may be falling into the mistake of thinking about my swing and form while using the sticks. Started working on some swing changes right when I got them and haven't made progress on either front. I didn't have the speed radar originally but just bought one. I think it may help me to stop thinking about the swing and just doing whatever I can to get faster speeds. I had my first session with it yesterday and I think it gave me something else to focus on and should motivate me going forward.

Has anyone seen any studies or data that correlates the SSG speeds to club head or ball speed? Obviously there are a ton of variables but I was curious if there's been any research on that. For example, if you swing the green SSG stick at 125mph, that roughly correlates to a xxx driver clubhead speed or ball speed.

Point taken.

I've been frustrated after seeing little or no progress as well. I may be falling into the mistake of thinking about my swing and form while using the sticks. Started working on some swing changes right when I got them and haven't made progress on either front. I didn't have the speed radar originally but just bought one. I think it may help me to stop thinking about the swing and just doing whatever I can to get faster speeds. I had my first session with it yesterday and I think it gave me something else to focus on and should motivate me going forward.

Has anyone seen any studies or data that correlates the SSG speeds to club head or ball speed? Obviously there are a ton of variables but I was curious if there's been any research on that. For example, if you swing the green SSG stick at 125mph, that roughly correlates to a xxx driver clubhead speed or ball speed.

Posted this a little while back in the thread:

I find that my average swing with the green club is somewhere in the 10-12mph range faster than my on-course swing with the driver, which has held pretty constant even as speeds have changed. When I first got the system my on-course swing speed was 108-110mph (low 160s ballspeeds) and green club was hovering around 120. My average with the green is now right around 130mph and ballspeeds are generally in the mid-high 170s on solid strikes. Hope that helps.

Point taken.

I'm pretty confident that the SSR will help you to push your limits. Pushing your limits is the only way to grow with this stuff.

If you think about it we do something similar with resistance training, and we just accept that it works at this point. If we wanted stronger biceps we'd go to the gym and provide resistance to our biceps that exceeded what we were used to, and it would send a message to the brain that it needed to grow the slow-twitch muscle fibers in that area because we had new expectations of it. The brain and body would respond and our capabilities would improve.

With regards to the correlation between, say, green and driver, I haven't seen any studies. Red would be a much stronger correlation, because it's 5% heavier than a typical driver, but doesn't have the same aero resistance. Even then, a correlation would be somewhat loose because different people have different levels of 'control' issues when they pick up an accurate driver and know that they need to be accurate with it. The job of green is to trick your brain, and different people have different neurological efficiency.

What's working for me is swinging for the fences with the actual driver on the range (often after SSG) and trying to add control without reducing speed one iota. Solve the problem of going from swing the club that fast and barely making contact, to continuing to swing that fast and finding the center.

Distance first, accuracy second. Not that accuracy is of secondary importance; just that it is secondary in the process.

If I remember correctly...03SMURF got into the low 150 MPHs with the Green stick...swinging out of his shoes...on every swing.

I plateaud at 143 MPH with the Green stick...gripping the stick with 10 fingers...and swinging out of my shoes...on every swing.

My point is that the SuperSpeed swing and your normal 'course swing' aren't the same.

Swing these things as fast as you can...without hurting yourself.

The SSG gains will carry over into your 'couse swing'...usually after 3-6 weeks.

If I remember correctly...03SMURF got into the low 150 MPHs with the Green stick...swinging out of his shoes...on every swing.

I plateaud at 143 MPH with the Green stick...gripping the stick with 10 fingers...and swinging out of my shoes...on every swing.

My point is that the SuperSpeed swing and your normal 'course swing' aren't the same.

The SSG gains will carry over into your 'couse swing'...usually after 3-6 weeks.

;)

;)

Sometimes I really don't like you.

I actually did ssg from December thru April and saw about 5mph gain on ball speed on avg. I had been about 158-160 last November. By April I was about 163-164 as per GC2. At that time, my green max was 142 and blue max 136. Since April, between work being crazy and any free time for golf going to just golf, I didn’t do any sessions until the other day and had used my GC2. I noticed that ball speed only dipped 2 mph and my ssg were almost maxed as I hit 140 with green and 135 with blue. The point is that it seems like the gains made somehow stayed with me, which I would have never guessed considering I will be 40 next month.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

For me personally, I swing like I swing a golf club. My normal driver swing is probably 85% effort but have found it is not any faster by adding more effort. With the SSG I swing maximum effort and then change technique to see higher numbers on the SSR. Over the last two weeks I have learned that I need to finish my backswing by almost feeling like I pause and then have loose wrists in order to get maximum speed. I might pick up on other things as the weeks go by but for now I apply those two feels to my driver and my ball speed is up 5mph in 2 weeks of using SSG. Without the SSR I would have never learned this because it does not "feel" faster.

For me personally, I swing like I swing a golf club. My normal driver swing is probably 85% effort but have found it is not any faster by adding more effort. With the SSG I swing maximum effort and then change technique to see higher numbers on the SSR. Over the last two weeks I have learned that I need to finish my backswing by almost feeling like I pause and then have loose wrists in order to get maximum speed. I might pick up on other things as the weeks go by but for now I apply those two feels to my driver and my ball speed is up 5mph in 2 weeks of using SSG. Without the SSR I would have never learned this because it does not "feel" faster.

This is exactly why you HAVE to have the SSR (or similar) for this to be effective. Only a small amount of the improvement you see in your swing speed is going to come from doing the exactly same thing faster by building up muscle, etc. A VAST MAJORITY of the speed you're going to gain is instead in your mind--you have to FIGURE OUT how to swing faster. That's going to lead to changes in your swing--faster backswing, deeper turn, higher hands, bigger pause at the top, more forceful planting on the lead foot going down, and the list goes on. There's just no way to figure out how much each of those things effect your swing speed until you get real-time feedback!

My last swings with the green have gone from 122 to 142 mph over 3 months. The system works and the SSR is a must have.

With that kind of gain (impressive!), I'm wondering if you could quantify percentages of how much is due to muscle enhancement vs how much is due to technique?

Do you feel like you changed the WAY you swing the club very much? Like more stall and whip, moving shoulder girdle faster, quicker hips (just spewing here) etc.

Or, is it just same old swing and it just moves the club head faster with better conditioned muscles?

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

My last swings with the green have gone from 122 to 142 mph over 3 months. The system works and the SSR is a must have.

With that kind of gain (impressive!), I'm wondering if you could quantify percentages of how much is due to muscle enhancement vs how much is due to technique?

Do you feel like you changed the WAY you swing the club very much? Like more stall and whip, moving shoulder girdle faster, quicker hips (just spewing here) etc.

Or, is it just same old swing and it just moves the club head faster with better conditioned muscles?

I would say not much due to muscle but more technique. The one muscular thing I’ve noticed that after doing a session my abs are sore.. seem to engage more of a crunch move I believe.

As for technique, I’ll list a few things here:

1) More weight shift to the trail foot on backswing and then the push off seems to add 5 mph to my swing.

2) A thread here mentioned a faster backswing leads to faster downswing... this is good for 2-3 mph.

3) Biggest improvement is sequencing. Starting with foot weight shift, then hips while just getting to the top of the backswing really helps. The step drill really engraned this for me. I also do this drill occasionally as my practice swing on the tee box. This slingshot effect is key to building speed, Tyler Ferrell in The Stock Tour Swing talks about this.

4) The Stock Tour Swing also talks about the transition down being separate from the release. The transition down he wants you to swing the handle as fast as possible. The thinking of swinging the handle as opposed to the club head is key.

5) The release involves planting off the front foot and then lastly releasing the wrists. It’s like whipping a towel where the last thing you do is brace/plant your hand by stopping it .. releasing the snap.

6) Must use radar to see what works for you and your swing.

I don’t try to change my swing too much even though it seems like there’s a lot going on above. Just swing super hard. I’m a 5 index so my swing is pretty decent.

I would say not much due to muscle but more technique. The one muscular thing I've noticed that after doing a session my abs are sore.. seem to engage more of a crunch move I believe.

As for technique, I'll list a few things here:

1) More weight shift to the trail foot on backswing and then the push off seems to add 5 mph to my swing.

2) A thread here mentioned a faster backswing leads to faster downswing... this is good for 2-3 mph.

3) Biggest improvement is sequencing. Starting with foot weight shift, then hips while just getting to the top of the backswing really helps. The step drill really engraned this for me. I also do this drill occasionally as my practice swing on the tee box. This slingshot effect is key to building speed, Tyler Ferrell in The Stock Tour Swing talks about this.

4) The Stock Tour Swing also talks about the transition down being separate from the release. The transition down he wants you to swing the handle as fast as possible. The thinking of swinging the handle as opposed to the club head is key.

5) The release involves planting off the front foot and then lastly releasing the wrists. It's like whipping a towel where the last thing you do is brace/plant your hand by stopping it .. releasing the snap.

6) Must use radar to see what works for you and your swing.

I don't try to change my swing too much even though it seems like there's a lot going on above. Just swing super hard. I'm a 5 index so my swing is pretty decent.

Thanks, much appreciated the detailed response.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Does anyone have an excel template they use to track their SSG results?

PM me your email I’ll send one to you.

I sent a PM, I'm interested as well if you're willing to share.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My understanding is that the SSR does not measure club head speed accurately if there is no ball to impact (not sure why that is). With an actual driver, in my case, the SSR will read about 5 to 6 miles per hour less when swinging without a ball. Do most of you find that to be the case? It is also my understanding that the SSR speed (when using a ball) will read a little higher than the same swing as measured on a more expensive LM (Trackman, Flightscope, etc.)

I understand that the main purpose of the SSR is to measure relative change over a period of time rather than give a truly accurate swing speed.

Thanks,

Bruce

My understanding is that the SSR does not measure club head speed accurately if there is no ball to impact (not sure why that is). With an actual driver, in my case, the SSR will read about 5 to 6 miles per hour less when swinging without a ball. Do most of you find that to be the case? It is also my understanding that the SSR speed (when using a ball) will read a little higher than the same swing as measured on a more expensive LM (Trackman, Flightscope, etc.)

I understand that the main purpose of the SSR is to measure relative change over a period of time rather than give a truly accurate swing speed.

Thanks,

Bruce

Trackman is meant to report the speed of the CG of the club while the SSR picks up the fastest moving part (the toe), which accounts for the difference. More pronounced the faster the rate of face closure clearly.

Thanks,

Bruce

This is accurate. The SSR will always show a higher value when hitting a ball. I believe it has to do with the fact that you subconsciously release the club differently when there is a ball. I've also noticed that the SSR reads a little bit high in regards to swing speed with the Driver when compared to a GC2 or GC Quad.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Thanks,

Bruce

This is accurate. The SSR will always show a higher value when hitting a ball. I believe it has to do with the fact that you subconsciously release the club differently when there is a ball. I've also noticed that the SSR reads a little bit high in regards to swing speed with the Driver when compared to a GC2 or GC Quad.

I have seen the same results.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Ella and I both made 3mph jumps last night with the light stick. I am up to 125 and she is up to 95. My long drive is 290 and hers is 146. We do our week 3 update on Saturday! As much as I want to break 300, I am so pumped for her to break 150. She got a new driver last night so that should help. Exciting times :)

So I just did my 2nd workout with the SuperSpeed (bought last January, used once, and shelved them due some lower back pain) and wow did I forget how much of a workout it is even on the intro protocol. I was starting to sweat a bit by the end, albeit I was in jeans and a long sleeve shirt in my garage. Also, I sort of like that dynamic warmup even though at first I thought it was silly.

I never ordered the radar (a combination of being cheap and stupid I miagine) so I don't have my baseline numbers, but I just ordered the radar and am going to start tracking progress once I receive it.

Shout out to donuts for the Excel template. What does everyone usually track? Just your highest speed for each exercise (standing, step change, kneeling, etc) with each color (green, blue, red) for both sides? Or do you record all swings? I don't want to overkill the analysis and add a bunch of extra time to the process.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

we have kept track of the fastest swing at the end with the light stick but all I really care about is ball speed so that is our main focus. The SSR will make a huge difference for you

I don't have a sim or launch monitor, so I guess clubhead speed will have to be my metric to determine gains.

Is the SSR pretty accurate when hitting a ball with a club?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen