SuperSpeed Golf training system

How much did y'all spend on your DIY clubs?

Mine aren't exactly the same but I'm almost done building mine for about $15. That's Canadian so like $11 USD. I used thin PVC pipes and lead tape.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I would absolutely not trust swinging a PVC pipe with a weight at the end for any period of time, especially not in the cold great white north

You can get graphite shafts for ~$10/each if you look hard enough, grips for $3, bar stock is $20. If you have the tools you can make a proper set, otherwise you can invest some $$ on tools and make a proper set AND have cool tools!

I've never actually measured my swing speed with the radar when swinging my SuperSpeed clubs, but I can tell they have been working on the course, and on some monitors when trying clubs.

This past weekend, I played for the first time since August, and it was a chilly weekend. The high on Sunday when I played was 50*, overcast, and about a 10 mph wind. My iron distances were the same as they would be in the middle of summer time, which really surprised me. I thought I would have to hit more club into greens like I normally do when the temperature drops.

I had 2 instances that really stand out on the course. The first was on a Par 3 that was playing at 145 yards, and slightly downwind. I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole. A couple of years ago, that probably would have been hole high at best. I also had 155 yards to a flag in the middle of the green on a par 4 into the wind. Full 7 sounded good, and I hit it pure. I did the pose because it looked like it was all over the flag, and then the drop once the ball flew the green....oops. :black eye:

It's a great system that I have recommended to a few buddies.

Your comment...."I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole". It's a well-known fact that timing of a slower swing = more distance. I've heard it over-and-over about guys who said the "didn't try to hit it hard"...yet the ball went much farther. That's the key....timing.

I don’t think so. Taking a 3/4, choked down, soft swing will NEVER give you more club or ball speed. Likely his irons spin and launch quite high normally and doing the above gave him a very low spin, low trajectory shot that just carried farther.

I've never actually measured my swing speed with the radar when swinging my SuperSpeed clubs, but I can tell they have been working on the course, and on some monitors when trying clubs.

This past weekend, I played for the first time since August, and it was a chilly weekend. The high on Sunday when I played was 50*, overcast, and about a 10 mph wind. My iron distances were the same as they would be in the middle of summer time, which really surprised me. I thought I would have to hit more club into greens like I normally do when the temperature drops.

I had 2 instances that really stand out on the course. The first was on a Par 3 that was playing at 145 yards, and slightly downwind. I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole. A couple of years ago, that probably would have been hole high at best. I also had 155 yards to a flag in the middle of the green on a par 4 into the wind. Full 7 sounded good, and I hit it pure. I did the pose because it looked like it was all over the flag, and then the drop once the ball flew the green....oops. :black eye:

Your comment...."I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole". It's a well-known fact that timing of a slower swing = more distance. I've heard it over-and-over about guys who said the "didn't try to hit it hard"...yet the ball went much farther. That's the key....timing.

I don't think so. Taking a 3/4, choked down, soft swing will NEVER give you more club or ball speed. Likely his irons spin and launch quite high normally and doing the above gave him a very low spin, low trajectory shot that just carried farther.

Lower spin might have had something to do with it, but I've never been able to hit an 8 iron that far with a 3/4 swing while choking down. Hitting one that far downwind in the cold would have required me to try to hammer that 8 iron a couple of years ago. I've experienced plenty of situations where I was longer than expected throughout this past year, so the SuperSpeed golf system definitely works.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I would absolutely not trust swinging a PVC pipe with a weight at the end for any period of time, especially not in the cold great white north

You can get graphite shafts for ~$10/each if you look hard enough, grips for $3, bar stock is $20. If you have the tools you can make a proper set, otherwise you can invest some $$ on tools and make a proper set AND have cool tools!

Really? Ok thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eye out on the pipes for any cracking.

Having said that, previous to making these, I used about a 50+" pvc pipe with a couple wraps of lead tape to warm up and also do some informal speed training and its been two years with no issues.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

I don't think so. Taking a 3/4, choked down, soft swing will NEVER give you more club or ball speed. Likely his irons spin and launch quite high normally and doing the above gave him a very low spin, low trajectory shot that just carried farther.

Bingo. He swung the club faster with less effort, a byproduct of the training. A slower swing will never make the ball go dramatically further, period

Bingo. He swung the club faster with less effort, a byproduct of the training. A slower swing will never make the ball go dramatically further, period

He didn't swing faster with less effort....that makes no sense...he had a moment where clubhead speed was efficient at and beyond the ball...not too early. #1 fault that I see all the time is swinging too early.

Good contact is a given, but not sure how any of that is relevant in this thread. This thread is about the SSG training system, which is specifically designed to increase your maximum speed potential assuming you are already happy with your contact. So going off topic and saying one should swing slower with better contact in this thread is completely pointless and borderline trolling

Proper delivery and center contact at slower speed can certainly result in longer distance vs a faster speed with non optimal contact and clubhead delivery.

Are you crazy for posting this? LOL! I said the same thing and got hammered. That said, I understand folks trying to increase speed...but I also understand these guys are so into it they have a Costco 48 battery pack to ensure their Swing Speed Radar unit is working. OK SSG guys...I'm poking fun...don't get all excited and attack me!

He didn't swing faster with less effort....that makes no sense...he had a moment where clubhead speed was efficient at and beyond the ball...not too early. #1 fault that I see all the time is swinging too early.

I am swinging faster straight across the board. All of my irons are all 5-10 yards longer in terms of carry from when I started using this system. I have a very smooth swing, so I'm not trying to hit the ball harder at all. Anytime I try to hit the ball harder, I get out of sync, and completely screw the shot up.

I'm a 7 handicap, so I'm not a bad golfer, and I'm aware of what my misses are and when contact is good. I measure distances to targets on the range and on the course, so I'm aware of how far I hit my irons comfortably. My PW was a comfortable 115 yard club, and it's now a comfortable 120-125 yard club. Those instances I listed in my post above weren't just a one time thing where I got lucky and hit my irons good for the first time all round. I've had a lot of instance like this over the past year of playing golf.

This past weekend was 40* colder than it was the last time I played golf, and my distances were the same as they were in August when I last played 11 weeks ago. I've never had that happen before on the course. I've always had to club up once the temperature drops. I've had the same set of irons and shafts for the past 4 seasons, so it's not a new set of clubs with stronger lofts doing this.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

How much did y'all spend on your DIY clubs?

Mine aren't exactly the same but I'm almost done building mine for about $15. That's Canadian so like $11 USD. I used thin PVC pipes and lead tape.

Mine was $10/shaft, $1/grip, and $30 for the bar stock, which I could make 2 sets out of. So $48 (33+15) if I count only half the bar stock.

I did have to purchase a 0.335 drill bit, but I don't count tools in the price... those just go in the shop forever.

Ordered my bar stock yesterday and will be looking for 3 shafts to start my build.

Few questions for all that are using the superspeed set up ( homemade version )

What are you doing for a warm up prior to going full out with the sticks ?

I have a simulator and could hit shots before hand to loosen up .

Are you using the Superspeed training videos on you tube for the workout ?

Last question is has anybody not seen any real gains in speed or loose their ability to make as good of center contact as before training ?

Ordered my bar stock yesterday and will be looking for 3 shafts to start my build.

What are you doing for a warm up prior to going full out with the sticks ?

Don't overthink it with the build. Go to menards and get some washers, weigh them and glue them on a shaft. Done.

I do jumping jacks and hit a few balls. I should probably stretch more but I've yet to sustain an injury.

I do ~10 squats, some toe touches, couple lunges, stretch my arms/back out quickly, and do some dry light swings with the green. Probably less than 5 minutes to warm up....perhaps I should warm up more. I notice sometimes if I barely warm up my first Green swings are noticeably slower (like 5mph).

Like I've said in previous posts, I've seen recorded gains in both clubhead speed & ball speed with the use of the PGA SS monitors (both GC 2 and about Golf simulator - which is the same simulator Alex Etches of GolfBox on YouTube uses):

Clubhead speed was between 117-120 on the PGA monitors with my Driver prior to starting SSG. Last week I hit a high of 127 with my Driver (and 128 with a used Epic SZ off the rack).

Ball speed was between ~160mph on mishits up to 168mph with my Driver (170-171mph with a used TM M2 off the rack). Last week I recorded 175mph with my Driver and up to 177mph with the Epiz SZ. Lowest reading of the day was the first mishit @ 167mph. To justify this, it felt like I hit a brick lol. Also, the next lowest was 172mph on another slight mishit. Most were between 175 - 177 (I took most swings with the Epic SZ, which was producing slightly higher ball speeds).

Here is a pic of my current progress throughout each of the first 6 recorded weeks (each week of data represents 4 sessions).

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

So after reading this thread I decided to see what happens with out weighted sticks. Basically I just use my driver and skytrak. I don't know the full system, just a few things posted in the thread. What I do is I'll swing a few just left handed, just right handed Then I swing all out with the ball on the tee so I can record ball speed on skytrak. I get no data on club head speed with the 1 handed swings, and given that club head speed is a calculation on skytrak I don't really care what it says. So I'm focusing on ball speed, because in the end the ball is the only judge of your swing.

Since doing this 3 months ago balls speeds have gone up about 10 mph. I was consistently hitting 145 with an occasional 150 ball speed. Now I'm swinging what seems to be much smoother swing and hitting 155-158 ball speeds. When I really lean into one, and actually hit it on the center of the club face, I'm over 160. These speeds have been pretty consistent over the last couple of weeks, so I'm comfortable that they are "locked in."

I'm sure I could get better results with SSG, but it appears as long as you spend some time focusing only on swing speed, it will gradually creep up.

*The skytrak calculated club head speeds were in the 100-102 range, now they are 105-108 range after about 3 months for what it's worth.

There should be more discussion of this. The real question is not if SSG works, it is if the results can be attributed to merely "doing something" or if there is something unique about the program. How does it compare to other simple approaches such as what is often suggested...hit your last 10 balls on the range as hard as you can.

It seems like this is somewhat like dieting/exercise in that for the most part how you do it is less important than doing it.

So after reading this thread I decided to see what happens with out weighted sticks. Basically I just use my driver and skytrak. I don't know the full system, just a few things posted in the thread. What I do is I'll swing a few just left handed, just right handed Then I swing all out with the ball on the tee so I can record ball speed on skytrak. I get no data on club head speed with the 1 handed swings, and given that club head speed is a calculation on skytrak I don't really care what it says. So I'm focusing on ball speed, because in the end the ball is the only judge of your swing.

Since doing this 3 months ago balls speeds have gone up about 10 mph. I was consistently hitting 145 with an occasional 150 ball speed. Now I'm swinging what seems to be much smoother swing and hitting 155-158 ball speeds. When I really lean into one, and actually hit it on the center of the club face, I'm over 160. These speeds have been pretty consistent over the last couple of weeks, so I'm comfortable that they are "locked in."

I'm sure I could get better results with SSG, but it appears as long as you spend some time focusing only on swing speed, it will gradually creep up.

*The skytrak calculated club head speeds were in the 100-102 range, now they are 105-108 range after about 3 months for what it's worth.

There should be more discussion of this. The real question is not if SSG works, it is if the results can be attributed to merely "doing something" or if there is something unique about the program. How does it compare to other simple approaches such as what is often suggested...hit your last 10 balls on the range as hard as you can.

It seems like this is somewhat like dieting/exercise in that for the most part how you do it is less important than doing it.

So I would ask what is the point of that discussion.

Each person is different and will get different things out of the differing systems. Some people will relate better to SSG because it's more structured. It's like paying for a personal trainer, do you need one to lose weight? No, but that structure might help you follow through on your commitment.

Some people are ok just doing it on their own, and knowing that there might be a quicker way to succeed but they derive more benefit from the gratification of doing it on their own.

So in reality, does it matter? I simply wanted to point out that doing something seems to also provide benefits. They might not be as quick, and they might not be 100% of what you'd get another way. But focusing only on swing speed for one or two dozen swings a couple times a week will produce results. I just know what seems to be working for me and wanted to put that out there in case it helps someone else. If I'm the odd-ball and everyone else in the world wants to go with SSG, that's fine by me and good luck to them.

I agree but with the added stipulation that you need to have some sort of measurable feedback for it to be effective. I said in an earlier post in this (long) thread that if I were to have to choose between the SSG sticks and the SSR radar, I'd take the radar hands down. There's certainly a muscle-building aspect to building swing speed (which is accomplished by using the overspeed training to trick your mind into swinging the red stick faster, and thus build that up), but many of the gains really just come from figuring out HOW to swing a club fast, which you can really do with any old club given the right feedback. Without any kind of feedback you can put in more effort but much of it will likely be wasted.

I agree but with the added stipulation that you need to have some sort of measurable feedback for it to be effective. I said in an earlier post in this (long) thread that if I were to have to choose between the SSG sticks and the SSR radar, I'd take the radar hands down. There's certainly a muscle-building aspect to building swing speed (which is accomplished by using the overspeed training to trick your mind into swinging the red stick faster, and thus build that up), but many of the gains really just come from figuring out HOW to swing a club fast, which you can really do with any old club given the right feedback. Without any kind of feedback you can put in more effort but much of it will likely be wasted.

I have the SSR and the Swing Caddie SC2000 so I agree with you. I have a flexible schedule so I hit a ton of balls...almost everyday that I don't play. I have been able to creep my SS up 5 mph consistently over time just by using the SSR for feedback. As you know, hitting balls is different than swinging sticks in the driveway. There is a difference between increasing club head speed and applying the increased club head speed on the golf course that translates into persistently lower scores.

I am not bashing the program, in fact I may go ahead and give it a whirl. With that said, at the amateur level, based on what I see on the course and with who I play golf with, length is not an issue for most golfer's. I play with plenty of golfer's who can't hit a green with a 7 iron in their hand and than can't get up and down. Of course if you have competitive aspirations that is a different story. Being 20 yds behind somebody that is just as good as you is a problem.

One of my usual partners, who has played older equipment for years, finally upgraded, gained 25 yds of the tee and an extra club with his irons, and still shoots the same exact scores. Anecdotal, but you get the point.

I am curious since the SSR shows inflated numbers is anyone has recorded green shaft speeds in relation to actual driver ball speeds and then tracked improvement that way? I really don't care what the SSR shows, I just want to see actual ball speeds increase. According to Skytrak, my SSR is reading 9mph fast and my carry distance IRL is pretty much identical to what the skytrak is telling me. My last session showed my green (standard stance) at 121. I am curious if there is anyone else in that area and how fast your driver ball speeds are. Mine are 146-150.

I am curious since the SSR shows inflated numbers is anyone has recorded green shaft speeds in relation to actual driver ball speeds and then tracked improvement that way? I really don't care what the SSR shows, I just want to see actual ball speeds increase. According to Skytrak, my SSR is reading 9mph fast and my carry distance IRL is pretty much identical to what the skytrak is telling me. My last session showed my green (standard stance) at 121. I am curious if there is anyone else in that area and how fast your driver ball speeds are. Mine are 146-150.

you will have to place SSR in the "right" place. I get funky numbers like yours time to time.

Curious as to how the SSG works out for you as my bs is right in the 150 area .

Would be happy to get to 160 BS as long as I can keep the accuracy that I have now .

you will have to place SSR in the "right" place. I get funky numbers like yours time to time.

Not just that, I think the key take away isnt the raw number the SSR is giving, but the change/increase over time.

Please excuse the redundancy in these posts...just trying to show that done with consistency, the program works.

This won't be an exact science....and please keep this in mind. My Baseline SSG numbers were 124mph for starting green. I didn't realize the Step Swings were included in the Intro Protocol, so I didn't track them until Week 2. In week 2, my Finishing Green (normal stance) average was 135. Week 2 starting green was 127 average.

At the start of SSG my ball speeds were in the 160s give or take. A really bad strike would hover around 158-161 but a great strike in the upper 160s. Fast forward a 4 - 5 weeks and my starting Green was 133mph, finishing green 139mph. Ball speeds were consistently 168 - 172 (highest 174) with mishits in the mid 160s.

1 week after the numbers above, I went back and was recording 175mph average ball speeds, with the highest 177. My first Driver swing was mishit @ 167mph. After that every swing was above 172mph. My SSG averages really didn't change much, but I had recorded as high as 145 with the Green.

For what it's worth, I don't think I will continue to increase ball speeds quite at this rate. However, I saw a big jump in ball speed in the first 4 - 6 weeks of the program. I will say that I have been consistently doing squats, which may have also helped a bit during this time. But I would attribute most of the gains to the SSG program because I had worked out before and did not see gains anywhere near this. Hope this helps.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Not just that, I think the key take away isnt the raw number the SSR is giving, but the change/increase over time.

I get that but what I am getting at is the correlation between improved numbers with the green shaft vs ball speed. So if you increased 5mph average green shaft then how much faster ball speed did you see. Hope that makes sense. I am going to track this, just curious if others have as well.

Thanks 300_Straight! Thats what I was looking for.