SuperSpeed Golf training system

I thought Matt was going with Ian down to FL? I'm sure they'll be doing taping of some stuff to try and promote those meet ups as I would wager TXG makes $$ off them. Plus... advertising.

Yeah he [Larry] seems to really get the whole ground pressure thing. I do see he tries to get his players to "downc0ck" the wrist during the DS which is a feeling/thought I never have, so it'll be interesting to see how that shapes up. I do know I need to work on getting more depth and probably using my legs even more, so I am looking forward to what he'll teach me.

I feel like I'm not really after distance right now though, I'm really much more concerned about proper mechanics and having a solid, repeatable motion. Even the courses that I do play from the tips, they still aren't even remotely challenging to me length wise. Not that I don't want more speed... But it's not something that's costing me strokes right now. I've seen plenty of guys who are around scratch who barely hit their driver 250. For now, I'd rather be 250-260 in the fairway than try to hit everything 290+ but maaaaaybe I'm not totally sure where it's going. Try to use SSG to slowly up my average "game time" swing, and focus on putting and short game for when I miss greens on my approaches. Then... maybe worry about tossing all my drives out there 290+ every time.

You're absolutely right. Orlando TXG Sessions....Matt will be there too.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

You will love txg. Im actual still here in Canada but I have to say these guys are the absolute best.

As far as ssg...my first driver swing of the day was about 115. Started this year off with a max of 104. Im a total believer.

That's with swing flaws, too. I know what I need to work on after my lesson with Larry... I see myself around 120-125 once I get that sorted out. I can post some pictures tomorrow of my time at txg and my gcquad numbers. What a great experience.

Hey all, thought I would share my overspeed training club build instructions, as well as a spreadsheet I made which will calculate the "head weight" for the light, medium, and heavy weights. Essentially it will calculate how large of a piece of barstock (I use brass) you need to cut to get a desired weight. Then you cut it slightly oversize so you can fine tune it with filing/grinding.

It's a pretty simple project, and I did the whole thing in maybe an 1-1.5 hours (not counting cure time for the epoxy and grip drying time).

https://www.golfleaguetracker.com/glthome/projects/overspeedtraining

Check out my other DIY projects as well which I've shared on this site many year ago.

Hey all, thought I would share my overspeed training club build instructions, as well as a spreadsheet I made which will calculate the "head weight" for the light, medium, and heavy weights. Essentially it will calculate how large of a piece of barstock (I use brass) you need to cut to get a desired weight. Then you cut it slightly oversize so you can fine tune it with filing/grinding.

It's a pretty simple project, and I did the whole thing in maybe an 1-1.5 hours (not counting cure time for the epoxy and grip drying time).

Check out my other DIY projects as well which I've shared on this site many year ago.

They look great! Well done

Guessing the swingweight of those are pretty close to your stock driver? I would think u would want those pretty close so they felt similar during dynamic movement.

I'm excited to say that since my last visit to the PGA SS practice pay monitors, ball speed and swing speed has increased. Swing speed is definitely inflated a bit, but the consistent increase is all I care about. I tracked a best 128mph (!) on the monitor with consistent reads between 125 and 127. My previous best was 124.

Not to mention, more importantly, ball speed increased as well. I tracked a personal best 177mph ball speed with consistent numbers above 174.

I am so pumped about this! Not only is it increasing my max speed, but on a consistent basis. I can't wait to continue the training over the winter and see what the full program can offer!!

So I'm looking at my numbers from Quad from my visit to TXG... I was having some poor contact but I did have a max CHS of 118.6 and max carry of 293. Granted, Quad does over estimate by a few %... I'm extremely happy with 290 carry. My max carry from February of this year was about 265.

aZDE1Zrl.png

And totally off topic but if you guys get a chance to try out the new VA composite shafts.... they are BEAST. Check out this 3w shot:

xjYjAqEl.png

That thing will be a monster for me off the tee on windy days.

Thank you for this instruction guide. I’m going to do this myself. Thank you again!

$$$$

I'm excited to say that since my last visit to the PGA SS practice pay monitors, ball speed and swing speed has increased. Swing speed is definitely inflated a bit, but the consistent increase is all I care about. I tracked a best 128mph (!) on the monitor with consistent reads between 125 and 127. My previous best was 124.

Not to mention, more importantly, ball speed increased as well. I tracked a personal best 177mph ball speed with consistent numbers above 174.

I am so pumped about this! Not only is it increasing my max speed, but on a consistent basis. I can't wait to continue the training over the winter and see what the full program can offer!!

What kind of balls were you able to hit there? I was trying out a JPX 919T 7 iron at GG Friday and noticed my ball speed (and subsequently my CHS due to a preset smash factor) was way down compared to what I’m used to seeing. The balls were some generic looking Maxfli’s that felt worse than decent range balls. I even managed to break one while there. You may be in the 180’s ball speed now.

What kind of balls were you able to hit there? I was trying out a JPX 919T 7 iron at GG Friday and noticed my ball speed (and subsequently my CHS due to a preset smash factor) was way down compared to what I’m used to seeing. The balls were some generic looking Maxfli’s that felt worse than decent range balls. I even managed to break one while there. You may be in the 180’s ball speed now.

What launch monitors do GG and PGA SS use? I have been on a GC2 at a Dicks Sporting Goods and they had crap golf balls too. Broke one and many seemed dead even when I know I crushed them. I was getting lower than what I can do bs wise, but it could have also just been a bad swing day.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Awesome numbers.

I have been meaning to ask, how are you surprised by your results? I thought you were already quite fast and knowingly so based on some other threads I have seen you in. Mainly LD Lab section. Just curious if you were like I was a while back and knew you were fast but never were able to confirm it reliably. Anyways, good luck. You will see 180s no doubt soon. I am striving to get more consistently in the 180s and straight. End goal is 190s when I squeeze both cheeks and be able to control it most of the time for use on scramble leagues.

Some par 4s that are so doable from the tees we play at my home course!

https://www.golfleag...erspeedtraining

Guessing the swingweight of those are pretty close to your stock driver? I would think u would want those pretty close so they felt similar during dynamic movement.

Depends on the weight. The light and medium weight are lighter, and the heavy is heavier. On my website I included a spreadsheet which I created that you can plug in your current driver weight, then the weight of each training club is calculated, and even the head weight is calculated for you. I even go so far as to tell you how large of a weight to cut out based on the bar stock you use and shaft diameter.

What launch monitors do GG and PGA SS use? I have been on a GC2 at a Dicks Sporting Goods and they had crap golf balls too. Broke one and many seemed dead even when I know I crushed them. I was getting lower than what I can do bs wise, but it could have also just been a bad swing day.

I think I was on a GC2 @ GG.

I was using the practice balls they have supplied. I typically use them when on the monitors, so I was just staying consistent. I may try a ball from the bag there to see if there is any difference, though.

They have 3 different monitors depending on where you are. The practice bay has "About Golf" simulators if I'm not mistaken. The lesson booths and 'free fitting' have GC2 and the pay-to-play fit has the GC Quad.

I typically use the practice bay "About Golf" simulators because it's where I go to hit indoors during the winter months. That's where my last session saw peak of 174mph ball speed and 124mph club speed, compared to 177mph ball speed this time and 128mph club speed. Again, the club speed is inflated probably almost 10mph. If I take the 177 and divide by Trackman's 1.50 smash it's exactly 118. I'd imagine I'm between 118 and 119.

Awesome numbers.

I have been meaning to ask, how are you surprised by your results? I thought you were already quite fast and knowingly so based on some other threads I have seen you in. Mainly LD Lab section. Just curious if you were like I was a while back and knew you were fast but never were able to confirm it reliably. Anyways, good luck. You will see 180s no doubt soon. I am striving to get more consistently in the 180s and straight. End goal is 190s when I squeeze both cheeks and be able to control it most of the time for use on scramble leagues.

Some par 4s that are so doable from the tees we play at my home course!

Thanks. I wasn't sure it was going to work this quickly. I'm already seeing gains just finishing the Intro Protocol, I haven't done 1 kneel swing yet. I've just been doing the Normal, Step & finishing Green with 5 swings now instead of 3. The fact I've seen significant gains this quickly is what has me really excited. I really would like to see how this transfers to the course. The Driver is my best club, so I rarely hit anything else off the tee unless it calls for it.

I have a similar goal to you now. I wanted 185, but now I want 190!! Good luck to you!

Anyone ever filmed their swings face on with high speed video? I have a casio exilim that can do up to 1000 fps at crappy resolution but I usually use the 240 fps and 480 fps which are better quality. I use the camera to nerd out and estimate my swing speed when I don't trust my SSR. For those that have read my past posts, I have a home built SSG club that is exactly the same length, and very close the the same mass as my gamer driver (its much heavier in swing weight though) and I filmed myself swinging that as my SSR is very up and down with measuring my speed. It will show 117 one swing, 121 another swing, then I will rattle off 130-134 for 5 swings in a row. I suspect it might be position related, or its reading some other part of my club at times. Anyways, I used the high speed camera to try and better understand if I am swinging that much slower on some swings because of technique or effort or something and found that each one of my swings were identical and ridiculously fast. I calculated 135 mph via 240 fps, repeated with 5 swings, and verified with 480 fps. I basically counted how many frames it took for my club to release through the last 90 degrees of its motion and used that to calculate potential speed.

So with all of that, (and I have suggested this before as a guess of what is going on with me), if I can assume that number is correct, and SSR is reading correctly when it displays 130s, how the heck do I make that happen with a ball in front of me? Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions of how they pretend the ball isn't there, and are able to swing through the ball rather than hit at the ball? I would like to utilize this ability of mine on occasion but I am usually about 10% slower with a ball in front of me (which is exactly opposite of what a lot of other people find, as they are 10% faster with a ball).

Sorry this is frustrating me. I have a goal of 190s bs and I would like to dabble in LD maybe for fun but I need to figure out this mental block.

Anyone ever filmed their swings face on with high speed video? I have a casio exilim that can do up to 1000 fps at crappy resolution but I usually use the 240 fps and 480 fps which are better quality. I use the camera to nerd out and estimate my swing speed when I don't trust my SSR. For those that have read my past posts, I have a home built SSG club that is exactly the same length, and very close the the same mass as my gamer driver (its much heavier in swing weight though) and I filmed myself swinging that as my SSR is very up and down with measuring my speed. It will show 117 one swing, 121 another swing, then I will rattle off 130-134 for 5 swings in a row. I suspect it might be position related, or its reading some other part of my club at times. Anyways, I used the high speed camera to try and better understand if I am swinging that much slower on some swings because of technique or effort or something and found that each one of my swings were identical and ridiculously fast. I calculated 135 mph via 240 fps, repeated with 5 swings, and verified with 480 fps. I basically counted how many frames it took for my club to release through the last 90 degrees of its motion and used that to calculate potential speed.

So with all of that, (and I have suggested this before as a guess of what is going on with me), if I can assume that number is correct, and SSR is reading correctly when it displays 130s, how the heck do I make that happen with a ball in front of me? Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions of how they pretend the ball isn't there, and are able to swing through the ball rather than hit at the ball? I would like to utilize this ability of mine on occasion but I am usually about 10% slower with a ball in front of me (which is exactly opposite of what a lot of other people find, as they are 10% faster with a ball).

Sorry this is frustrating me. I have a goal of 190s bs and I would like to dabble in LD maybe for fun but I need to figure out this mental block.

Take this with a grain of salt, but where do you position the SSR compared to the ball? When I tee up, the ball is positioned in-line with my front foot. Not inside the front heel, but in-line with my front foot. I believe this helps me generate a later release and an upward swing on the ball. This may force you to release later in your swing.

I also try to keep my lead shoulder closed as long as I can. This really helps me stay behind the ball and bring the club to the same spot more frequently. I've also noticed my speed increases on the SSR when I focus on keeping my lead shoulder closed as long as I can.

The only way to measure it the way you're doing is to calculate how far the club has moved between frames, so you need some sort of ruler down on the ground or some other reference. Not real accurate since the club is moving on an arc, so you'd have to have an arc ruler. Measuring how many frames through last 90 degrees doesn't mean anything.

for example, 1mph = 17.6 inches/second.

At 480 frames/second, 1 mph = 0.03666".

I get that by taking 17.60" / 480 = 0.03666"

That means that at 100 mph, the clubhead moves 3.66" between frames.

The only way to measure it the way you're doing is to calculate how far the club has moved between frames, so you need some sort of ruler down on the ground or some other reference. Not real accurate since the club is moving on an arc, so you'd have to have an arc ruler. Measuring how many frames through last 90 degrees doesn't mean anything.

I used to think that was the best way too, but given my many many attempts to do it, I realized it isn't given the camera I have. I would need 10k fps and high resolution to capture that accurately. Its too short of a distance, and not enough frames. I can explain to you why I feel my angular method is much more accurate in a PM if you would like. Keep in mind, I also uploaded to youtube and compared against other videos of swings of well documented players. I compared many videos and noted whether I covered the same distance faster or slower. I was always faster or exactly the same.

Anyways, any ideas on how to free the beast as I like to call it? Might just boil down to a swing flaw that my subconscious corrects on the fly and lowers my speed in order to actually hit the ball. I am hoping its just a mental thing where all I have to do is find a trick that makes me stop trying to hit the ball rather than swing through.

Take this with a grain of salt, but where do you position the SSR compared to the ball? When I tee up, the ball is positioned in-line with my front foot. Not inside the front heel, but in-line with my front foot. I believe this helps me generate a later release and an upward swing on the ball. This may force you to release later in your swing.

I also try to keep my lead shoulder closed as long as I can. This really helps me stay behind the ball and bring the club to the same spot more frequently. I've also noticed my speed increases on the SSR when I focus on keeping my lead shoulder closed as long as I can.

I place it where I would place the ball. Its weird, I will get 117-124 usually, but then rattle off several in the 130s though I don't feel I swung differently, or with with any changing effort. I used to think the 130 reads were due to a sudden change in direction from a really bad inside out swing, but I have largely rid myself of that yet still get them. Oh well. Questions still stands, anyone have any helpful hits to avoid swinging at the ball and swinging through instead. I have tried many things but I am always looking for other ideas. I know I have some speed to free up if I can master that part of the swing.

I place it where I would place the ball. Its weird, I will get 117-124 usually, but then rattle off several in the 130s though I don't feel I swung differently, or with with any changing effort. I used to think the 130 reads were due to a sudden change in direction from a really bad inside out swing, but I have largely rid myself of that yet still get them. Oh well. Questions still stands, anyone have any helpful hits to avoid swinging at the ball and swinging through instead. I have tried many things but I am always looking for other ideas. I know I have some speed to free up if I can master that part of the swing.

Try placing the ball farther forward. This may force you to release later than you typically would.

I used to think that was the best way too, but given my many many attempts to do it, I realized it isn't given the camera I have. I would need 10k fps and high resolution to capture that accurately. Its too short of a distance, and not enough frames. I can explain to you why I feel my angular method is much more accurate in a PM if you would like. Keep in mind, I also uploaded to youtube and compared against other videos of swings of well documented players. I compared many videos and noted whether I covered the same distance faster or slower. I was always faster or exactly the same.

Feel free to pm me or talk about it here. I don't see the correlation between face closure and SS.

Feel free to pm me or talk about it here. I don't see the correlation between face closure and SS.

I see where we are crossed up. By release, I am referring the the shaft of the club not the club head. Club head release would be even harder to measure!

Try placing the ball farther forward. This may force you to release later than you typically would.

I do already put it quite far forward, I find this makes me hit the ground before the ball if I focus on that. I experimented with something counter intuitive. I tried to swing at a spot behind the ball, basically middle of my stance. My thinking is that my low point and focus will be behind the ball, but then I will catch the ball on the upswing. Each time I tried it, the strike on of the ball was a surprise, which is what I want to feel. The contact was good, don't know about the speed or direction yet. Didn't have the simulator fired up. I will test it out some more this week. Never thought to try this before ha.

Larrybud, I just wanted to thank you for your excellent write up and stunning display of generosity in sharing it!

Love this site and the folks that make it great!

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

I've never actually measured my swing speed with the radar when swinging my SuperSpeed clubs, but I can tell they have been working on the course, and on some monitors when trying clubs.

This past weekend, I played for the first time since August, and it was a chilly weekend. The high on Sunday when I played was 50*, overcast, and about a 10 mph wind. My iron distances were the same as they would be in the middle of summer time, which really surprised me. I thought I would have to hit more club into greens like I normally do when the temperature drops.

I had 2 instances that really stand out on the course. The first was on a Par 3 that was playing at 145 yards, and slightly downwind. I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole. A couple of years ago, that probably would have been hole high at best. I also had 155 yards to a flag in the middle of the green on a par 4 into the wind. Full 7 sounded good, and I hit it pure. I did the pose because it looked like it was all over the flag, and then the drop once the ball flew the green....oops. :black eye:

It's a great system that I have recommended to a few buddies.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Larrybud, I just wanted to thank you for your excellent write up and stunning display of generosity in sharing it!

Love this site and the folks that make it great!

You're welcome. I plan on doing some other write-ups of my DIY stuff... now that snow is on the ground I'm going nuts over here. lol

For those having trouble connecting your training swing to a real swing in front of a ball, I decided to only use an old gamer head and lighter, womens head that use the same shaft and removable adapter. Typically womens heads are about 10-15 g lighter which gives a decent spread between clubs. This allows me to hit foam balls into a net which helps the faster swings actually translate better to the range/course. Building these from old heads on eBay may not be that expensive if you have an old driver gamer with a removable adapter.

I've never actually measured my swing speed with the radar when swinging my SuperSpeed clubs, but I can tell they have been working on the course, and on some monitors when trying clubs.

This past weekend, I played for the first time since August, and it was a chilly weekend. The high on Sunday when I played was 50*, overcast, and about a 10 mph wind. My iron distances were the same as they would be in the middle of summer time, which really surprised me. I thought I would have to hit more club into greens like I normally do when the temperature drops.

I had 2 instances that really stand out on the course. The first was on a Par 3 that was playing at 145 yards, and slightly downwind. I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole. A couple of years ago, that probably would have been hole high at best. I also had 155 yards to a flag in the middle of the green on a par 4 into the wind. Full 7 sounded good, and I hit it pure. I did the pose because it looked like it was all over the flag, and then the drop once the ball flew the green....oops. :black eye:

It's a great system that I have recommended to a few buddies.

Your comment...."I hit a soft 8 iron (choked down and had a 3/4 swing) and I was 40 feet past the hole". It's a well-known fact that timing of a slower swing = more distance. I've heard it over-and-over about guys who said the "didn't try to hit it hard"...yet the ball went much farther. That's the key....timing.