SuperSpeed Golf training system

Does anybody know..... Do the simulators at Golf Galaxy juice ballspeeds? Was hitting 7i yesterday (919 Forged, so I think 32* loft) and I was getting a few to carry around 184 or so. Even really really bad hits were going like 160-165 (which is my normal well struck distance).

Maybe I'm so bad with center contact that when I am striking it flush I'm getting the 180 carry, but 8/10 times I'm not center striking so my "average" carry is more like 165?? Has superspeed golf gotten me so fast I'm gaining 20 yards carry on irons? That's crazy.

Do not use store units for any comparison. Yes the distances are juiced on purpose.

Would someone one with a higher swing speed to start with gain as much as some one with a slower swing speed? Lets say swing mechanics were the same. Or is it the faster you are it becomes harder to reach the next mph? Similar to a car going 0-60 and then 60-120.

I swing between 114-117 and hoping to get to 125 comfortably.

Would someone one with a higher swing speed to start with gain as much as some one with a slower swing speed? Lets say swing mechanics were the same. Or is it the faster you are it becomes harder to reach the next mph? Similar to a car going 0-60 and then 60-120.

I think you can gain from it, but if you are like me, it doesn't do much but maintain. I am at the point where I might only benefit from strength training and losing some weight and maybe some technique tweaks. From what I have observed. Everyone's body has a natural limit that can be achieve just by practicing swinging very fast. You basically teach the muscle you have to fire quickly, and learn to time everything just so you get peak speed at the ball. Once you reach that limit, it seems weight training helps break that limit further but not necessarily a ton. Depends on genetics and stuff too at that point.

If you already weight train for golf, and do SSR for golf, and you have kind of peaked and haven't moved the needle much, you might be at your genetic limit and anything above that might be extra difficult to achieve unless you maybe tweak equipment you use to squeeze a few more mph (lighter driver, different swing weights maybe).

Just my thoughts anyways.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

From all I’ve read, anecdotally it seems like the slower swing speed players or older players in the 80-90 mph swing speeds gain less than the younger, fitter players that swing 110+

From all I’ve read, anecdotally it seems like the slower swing speed players or older players in the 80-90 mph swing speeds gain less than the younger, fitter players that swing 110+

Thats good to hear. Im 26 and use to weight lift heavily. Im slimmer now and train for golf so should gain some from that alone. 1 handicapp so my swing is pretty sound already. I will build my own and and track my progress over the winter on here.

Thats good to hear. Im 26 and use to weight lift heavily. Im slimmer now and train for golf so should gain some from that alone. 1 handicapp so my swing is pretty sound already. I will build my own and and track my progress over the winter on here.

I think you will do well then. If you’re not going to buy the sticks at least buy the radar. Without it you’re just guessing swing to swing and session to session. It’s like doing a fitting without a trackman or cg quad.

From all I've read, anecdotally it seems like the slower swing speed players or older players in the 80-90 mph swing speeds gain less than the younger, fitter players that swing 110+

I think you will do well then. If you're not going to buy the sticks at least buy the radar. Without it you're just guessing swing to swing and session to session. It's like doing a fitting without a trackman or cg quad.

Second the vote on the SSR. I actually think having the radar as feedback is potentially more helpful to building up swing speed than the SuperSpeed system. Don't mean that to be a knock on the sticks as the whole system is probably a more efficient way to go about things, but I think most people will see gains even if you just go swing your driver as fast as you can in front of a radar every day and figure out what you need to change to swing faster.

You can definitely gain. I swing very similarly and I've seen gains already just after finishing the Intro protocol. I think it will benefit those who have more fast twitch muscle fibers more than those with slow twitch fibers, if that makes sense. It can certainly help build more fast twitch, but I think those blessed with them already will see better gains.

However, it also is a great way to learn better sequencing of the body. I find myself using the ground better than I already was. Again, I've only just finished the Intro protocol so I'm looking forward to more gains. I'll post a summary of my progress shortly so you can get an idea, considering we were starting at very similar SS.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Here is another point of view on SSR.

There is also the potential for it to be a demotivating factor, if progress is stagnant or slow, seeing the same disappointing results can do more harm than good.

Some pages back the analogy of scales for a dieter was used but once again weighing all the time when trying to loose weight is bad practice.

Ideally having SSR is better than not but it is probably best to use it infrequently, rather than every single session.

Jury is still out on the benefits of the Superspeed system from my own personal experience.

From all I've read, anecdotally it seems like the slower swing speed players or older players in the 80-90 mph swing speeds gain less than the younger, fitter players that swing 110+

I think you will do well then. If you're not going to buy the sticks at least buy the radar. Without it you're just guessing swing to swing and session to session. It's like doing a fitting without a trackman or cg quad.

Second the vote on the SSR. I actually think having the radar as feedback is potentially more helpful to building up swing speed than the SuperSpeed system. Don't mean that to be a knock on the sticks as the whole system is probably a more efficient way to go about things, but I think most people will see gains even if you just go swing your driver as fast as you can in front of a radar every day and figure out what you need to change to swing faster.

This is interesting. I don’t have the SSR. Just use the sticks. I record my driver SS with an old BEL swing mate I found on eBay. The swing mate won’t record the stick swings. Should I be investing in the SSR? Or is it purely feedback? Meaning does the feedback tell you how to swing faster or just a way for you to track?

Let me ask you this - when you drive your car do you ever use a speedometer? When you lift weights do you ever read the little annoying numbers on the sides of the plates? When you golf do you ever measure your distances? Then why the hell would you not want to measure your swing speeds when you are doing swing speed training? Speed training being the operative words in that last sentence. This is apparantly some kind of advanced level physics problem for some people. When you are training - in anything - you need to quantify and measure - in some capacity - what you are doing. Duh.... SSR is the tool for this. Sorry that is wrong... SSR is the CHEAPEST tool for this.

This is interesting. I don’t have the SSR. Just use the sticks. I record my driver SS with an old BEL swing mate I found on eBay. The swing mate won’t record the stick swings. Should I be investing in the SSR? Or is it purely feedback? Meaning does the feedback tell you how to swing faster or just a way for you to track?

If you are measuring and recording your driver SS then you're probably fine, but like most things in this game what it feels like like you are doing is not necessarily what you're doing, and swinging the club fast can be the extreme here. Sometimes I feel like I'm swinging all out and for the life of me I can't get the green stick to 130, like to the point that I think the SSR is broken. Then I realise it's a technique issue (in my case failing to complete my turn entirely). When I make the compensation all of a sudden I don't even feel like I'm swinging as hard and I'm recording speeds in the 134-136 range. That's something I could also do with just a driver and the SSR, but without a way to measure your speed you're never going to experience that.

If you are measuring and recording your driver SS then you're probably fine, but like most things in this game what it feels like like you are doing is not necessarily what you're doing, and swinging the club fast can be the extreme here. Sometimes I feel like I'm swinging all out and for the life of me I can't get the green stick to 130, like to the point that I think the SSR is broken. Then I realise it's a technique issue (in my case failing to complete my turn entirely). When I make the compensation all of a sudden I don't even feel like I'm swinging as hard and I'm recording speeds in the 134-136 range. That's something I could also do with just a driver and the SSR, but without a way to measure your speed you're never going to experience that.

Exactly. I find the same thing. When I fail to make a complete turn and rush the downswing, I see speeds significantly less than I'm used to. Then when I make a full turn, slight pause, then pivot on my front foot the numbers spike up, even sometimes when I feel like I swung slower. It's amazing. SSR is a must for this.

Here is another point of view on SSR.

There is also the potential for it to be a demotivating factor, if progress is stagnant or slow, seeing the same disappointing results can do more harm than good.

Some pages back the analogy of scales for a dieter was used but once again weighing all the time when trying to loose weight is bad practice.

Ideally having SSR is better than not but it is probably best to use it infrequently, rather than every single session.

Jury is still out on the benefits of the Superspeed system from my own personal experience.

The radar actually motivates me to meet or exceed my latest results. If I didn’t have it or was feeling lazy or tired I don’t think I would be focused or motivated on some days.

It’s like that carnival game where you hit a sledgehammer on the button and it tells you how hard you hit. The game would be absolutely no fun without a measure. It’s the same with the SSR.

When it comes to my last swings with the Green, I always swing more than the number specified. I'm up to the 5 swings each side now, and I swing 8-10x at least just to try and get as fast as I can.

The SSR is a must when it comes to speed training. It not only is great for during training, but tracking your progress week in and week out as well. I would never be as motivated if I didn't see consistent results from tracking after each session.

I've been doing a work out during a modified SSG program and maybe getting over a hump. I'm mixing in jumping jacks, squats, planks, lunges, wall sits, push ups and crunches between sets with the green, red stick and hitting drivers to max out swing speed and ball speed. It's basically making the SSG program a more physical workout.

I'm seeing early returns and also getting in better shape!

In the first 6 weeks of my training, I've noticed a few important things:

1) It's working! Not only are my fastest swings faster, but I've noticed consistent results throughout the 5 swings per stick.

2) Taking a couple days off every once in awhile actually helps. When you're swinging as hard as you can constantly, taking some time off may help you fully recover. I took 4 days off before my workout last night and consistently swung the fastest I've ever swung. With the green, I hit 137, 138 twice, 139 and 140 twice. I've only swung 140-141 a total of 4x in the 6 weeks, and 2 were last night. TAKE A FEW DAYS OFF AND YOU MAY BE SURPRISED AT THE RESULTS.

3) Though somewhat obvious, working out in-tandem with the SSG may be beneficial. I don't do sets of weight training in between swings, but I've been doing some workouts at home with body weight and light dumbbells and I've gained ~6-7lbs. I don't know if that's helping as well, but I feel much better.

Does anyone ever feel like they strain/pull a muscle? I mean you are going 100%.

You certainly can. Depends a bit on your age and imo, how much golf you played prior to doing this. Just from playing golf regularly, you get golf flexible/golf strong if you know what I mean. That helps prevent injury on its own. Already being used to swinging 100% helps too like myself but yes, these can definitely injure you especially if you are pushing your body limits. I have to be careful. I get sore ligaments if I do too much swinging with a weighted club. All of the club energy is being transmitted through your body instead of the ball and its harder on you imo. The ball really absorbs a lot, and not hitting a ball is a bit like dry firing a compound bow, it can be disastrous.

Just be careful not to over do it, and if you feel pain, stop and take a few days off to let it heal. If you are in your 20s you can probably go at it as much as you want almost, if in your 30s and 40s, or older, it would be a different story likely (depending on how your body has aged).

I am personally taking a few days off from hitting on my simulator, tweaked my knee. The mats grab my foot too well and it puts a lot more stress on my left knee. Really have to be careful with that stuff as you get older.

This is the big week! Have a fitting on Friday and I'll see if my ball speeds have truly gone up after about 6 weeks of SSG. I'll be doing one more session tomorrow, and I might do a very fast one Friday right before the fitting as I'm in the bay.

Managed to see 124 ball speed out of my 7i a week ago which is up by a lot. Tried to really go after a few and saw 180 carry. Granted I'm guessing spin was lowered from the mat.

It will also be interesting to see what my speeds are like this Friday, and if I can maintain that all winter only doing SSG 2-3x per month.

This is the big week! Have a fitting on Friday and I'll see if my ball speeds have truly gone up after about 6 weeks of SSG. I'll be doing one more session tomorrow, and I might do a very fast one Friday right before the fitting as I'm in the bay.

Managed to see 124 ball speed out of my 7i a week ago which is up by a lot. Tried to really go after a few and saw 180 carry. Granted I'm guessing spin was lowered from the mat.

It will also be interesting to see what my speeds are like this Friday, and if I can maintain that all winter only doing SSG 2-3x per month.

Good luck to you. If I may make a suggestion though. If you aim low results wise, you can't be disappointed. Expect a very conservative improvement, and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you really want to see your true gains, don't do the SSG before your fitting. This would allow the potential for artificially inflating your speed if you do it right before your fitting.

Good luck! I have no doubt you will see an increase in both swing and ball speed.

If you really want to see your true gains, don't do the SSG before your fitting. This would allow the potential for artificially inflating your speed if you do it right before your fitting.

Good luck! I have no doubt you will see an increase in both swing and ball speed.

True... but I want to get that glorious 160 ball speed that I almost hit about 3 weeks ago when I was on trackman (highest was like 158.9)! I didn't do SSG before that session though.

In a way, I almost want to inflate my CHS though...? I'm traveling quite a bit to do this fitting and I don't plan to get fit for clubs again any time soon. If I keep up with SSG for the foreseeable future, I'd hate to "outgrow" whatever shafts I'm fit in this week because I continue to make gains each month. Know what I mean?

True... but I want to get that glorious 160 ball speed that I almost hit about 3 weeks ago when I was on trackman (highest was like 158.9)! I didn't do SSG before that session though.

In a way, I almost want to inflate my CHS though...? I'm traveling quite a bit to do this fitting and I don't plan to get fit for clubs again any time soon. If I keep up with SSG for the foreseeable future, I'd hate to "outgrow" whatever shafts I'm fit in this week because I continue to make gains each month. Know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean. Then go for it! Especially if your plan is to continue SSG training over the winter.

Good luck. I hope that 160+ ball speed becomes the norm!

I know exactly what you mean. Then go for it! Especially if your plan is to continue SSG training over the winter.

Good luck. I hope that 160+ ball speed becomes the norm!

I hope so! Not sure if you follow Plugged in Golf, but one of the main editors did SSG for a fair amount of time and went from about 99chs average to now about 115. His 3w speed is up around 108 now. So... in my mind, as long as I keep working it, there's no reason I can easily average 115, starting from about 104 this Sept. Of course this may take me until next summer in conjunction with some lessons, but I don't really plan to stop training.

I've read a few cases of guys gaining well over 12% average speed and like 15%+ maximums. I'll probably tell my fitter to of course fit me properly but to maybe keep in mind that I plan for my speeds to increase in case I'm in between two shafts or flexes.