SuperSpeed Golf training system

This is the big week! Have a fitting on Friday and I'll see if my ball speeds have truly gone up after about 6 weeks of SSG. I'll be doing one more session tomorrow, and I might do a very fast one Friday right before the fitting as I'm in the bay.

Managed to see 124 ball speed out of my 7i a week ago which is up by a lot. Tried to really go after a few and saw 180 carry. Granted I'm guessing spin was lowered from the mat.

It will also be interesting to see what my speeds are like this Friday, and if I can maintain that all winter only doing SSG 2-3x per month.

If you really want to see your true gains, don't do the SSG before your fitting. This would allow the potential for artificially inflating your speed if you do it right before your fitting.

Good luck! I have no doubt you will see an increase in both swing and ball speed.

True... but I want to get that glorious 160 ball speed that I almost hit about 3 weeks ago when I was on trackman (highest was like 158.9)! I didn't do SSG before that session though.

In a way, I almost want to inflate my CHS though...? I'm traveling quite a bit to do this fitting and I don't plan to get fit for clubs again any time soon. If I keep up with SSG for the foreseeable future, I'd hate to "outgrow" whatever shafts I'm fit in this week because I continue to make gains each month. Know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean. Then go for it! Especially if your plan is to continue SSG training over the winter.

Good luck. I hope that 160+ ball speed becomes the norm!

I hope so! Not sure if you follow Plugged in Golf, but one of the main editors did SSG for a fair amount of time and went from about 99chs average to now about 115. His 3w speed is up around 108 now. So... in my mind, as long as I keep working it, there's no reason I can easily average 115, starting from about 104 this Sept. Of course this may take me until next summer in conjunction with some lessons, but I don't really plan to stop training.

I've read a few cases of guys gaining well over 12% average speed and like 15%+ maximums. I'll probably tell my fitter to of course fit me properly but to maybe keep in mind that I plan for my speeds to increase in case I'm in between two shafts or flexes.

Wow....no I don't follow them, but I read their reviews on equipment I'm interested in. ~10-12% is a huge jump in speed. I totally believe that, though, considering I've seen gains already in the introduction protocol. 10% would put me in the mid 120s!

I need to start doing the kneeling swings, the only problem is by the time I get home from work it's dark out. I guess I just need to put the lights on in my backyard and suck it up!

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Wow....no I don't follow them, but I read their reviews on equipment I'm interested in. ~10-12% is a huge jump in speed. I totally believe that, though, considering I've seen gains already in the introduction protocol. 10% would put me in the mid 120s!

I need to start doing the kneeling swings, the only problem is by the time I get home from work it's dark out. I guess I just need to put the lights on in my backyard and suck it up!

I certainly don't represent the best case scenario for improvement, but since I started my "quest for speed" I gained 20%. I started out though with the following...

Terrible Swing Mechanics

Poor Flexibility

Good but not amazing fast twitch conditioning

Too much tension

Long winter offseasons

I have literally undone all of those items to get to where I am today. I am quite sure I am at my body limit without some serious gym time. Essentially, I am at my natural limit. Anything beyond that would be required that I maintain it through time in the gym, where as what I currently have is easily maintained just by swinging on my simulator every couple of days.

I would make a reasonable guess and say if you have a lot of room for improvement in all of those things you could stand to do as well or better than myself, especially if you also plan to hit the gym. If you already have most of those things it might be considerably less. Everyone is different of course.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

@ 300

Get er done!!! When I get home it's almost pitch black out and I'm still out in the driveway doing it haha. However for knee swings... I'll need to invest in a pad or something. I live in a condo community too... people give me oddddddd looks when I'm out there haha. YOLO though, I don't see them trying to better themselves.

Also, I read another story about a guy on... gosh, I don't remember what tour, but he was a struggling pro averaging about 105mph. He did SSG for one year and after was averaging about 115. So gains of 15%+ are possible. I think for me, barely taking lessons and still being a little tight in the muscles, I've got a lot of potential. This winter I'm really gonna focus on lifting and stretching. My squat has gotten pathetic and it's the #1 thing I'm looking to improve to help get my speed up.

I certainly don't represent the best case scenario for improvement, but since I started my "quest for speed" I gained 20%. I started out though with the following...

Terrible Swing Mechanics

Poor Flexibility

Too much tension

Long winter offseasons

I have literally undone all of those items to get to where I am today. I am quite sure I am at my body limit without some serious gym time. Essentially, I am at my natural limit. Anything beyond that would be required that I maintain it through time in the gym, where as what I currently have is easily maintained just by swinging on my simulator every couple of days.

I would make a reasonable guess and say if you have a lot of room for improvement in all of those things you could stand to do as well or better than myself, especially if you also plan to hit the gym. If you already have most of those things it might be considerably less. Everyone is different of course.

Wow, congratulations! Those are amazing gains. How is it impacted your game?

@ 300

Get er done!!! When I get home it's almost pitch black out and I'm still out in the driveway doing it haha. However for knee swings... I'll need to invest in a pad or something. I live in a condo community too... people give me oddddddd looks when I'm out there haha. YOLO though, I don't see them trying to better themselves.

Also, I read another story about a guy on... gosh, I don't remember what tour, but he was a struggling pro averaging about 105mph. He did SSG for one year and after was averaging about 115. So gains of 15%+ are possible. I think for me, barely taking lessons and still being a little tight in the muscles, I've got a lot of potential. This winter I'm really gonna focus on lifting and stretching. My squat has gotten pathetic and it's the #1 thing I'm looking to improve to help get my speed up.

LOL. That's great. You gave me the motivation to do it, considering you do it in your driveway! I go in my backyard typically after 9, sometimes 1030pm and swing on my patio with my lights on lol, so I might as well move it onto my back lawn! I remember you saying the kneeling swings really seemed to add another level of speed, so I am looking forward to that.

As I noticed on the course this past week, I really need to practice my short game....(which I will a bunch over the winter)...but who said I can't get longer at the same time?! : ]

Terrible Swing Mechanics

Poor Flexibility

Too much tension

Long winter offseasons

@ 300

LOL. That's great. You gave me the motivation to do it, considering you do it in your driveway! I go in my backyard typically after 9, sometimes 1030pm and swing on my patio with my lights on lol, so I might as well move it onto my back lawn! I remember you saying the kneeling swings really seemed to add another level of speed, so I am looking forward to that.

As I noticed on the course this past week, I really need to practice my short game....(which I will a bunch over the winter)...but who said I can't get longer at the same time?! : ]

Eh, I am worse but not because I am way longer. I experiment with my swing too much and don't play nearly enough. Simulator I just got and its helping. Ended up being the longest guy I know though, but not on average. Give me a 50 swing LD competition ill likely win. Take me that many swings to get in a groove lol.

Terrible Swing Mechanics

Poor Flexibility

Too much tension

Long winter offseasons

@ 300

Yup I think I scare the little kids, too. Not to mention my non dominant side swings seem to get seen more often than the dominant side... people probably thinking I'm a uncoordinated wacko.

Yeah, not that hitting balls is bad.... but I think I'll make way more improvements in my game in the next year by getting a higher CHS + getting better at chipping and putting. I'm shooting high 80s now so I'm too the point where I'm not really losing balls anymore and I'm constantly around the green with my approaches, but rarely hitting greens outside of about 140-150 yards. Means I'm facing about 10-15 chips from the rough each round as my average GIR right now is about 5.

Not much beating balls will do when you hit your drive 300 and are left with a 40 yard pitch and you barely make par. All about the shots inside 100 if you ask me once you're getting your drives out there.

Question for you guys who are doing this regularly: how are you logging your swing speeds? Honestly half the reason I haven't really gotten into it is it seems like such a pain to log everything. Tried doing an audio recording once where I called out the speed after each swing, but then it basically took me twice as long as I had to re-live the entire session to log the speeds. Surely there's an easier way to do this. I tried getting my wife to write them down for me but for some reason she's not really all that keen :dntknw:

Question for you guys who are doing this regularly: how are you logging your swing speeds? Honestly half the reason I haven't really gotten into it is it seems like such a pain to log everything. Tried doing an audio recording once where I called out the speed after each swing, but then it basically took me twice as long as I had to re-live the entire session to log the speeds. Surely there's an easier way to do this. I tried getting my wife to write them down for me but for some reason she's not really all that keen :dntknw:

Lol! I do my 3 or 5 swings and write down the highest on a piece of paper before moving to the next side.

Could just make a mental note of your personal bests with each. Know what you started at and what you see after several sessions and you will see the improvement. I don't feel like a person needs to record the whole thing, takes some of the fun away I think. To each their own but I just know what I was a few years back and what I am now, thats all I care about. I also have trackman sessions I took photos of to show my progress to me.

how are you logging your swing speeds?

I use SSR with my SkyTrak. I make mental notes of highs with my SSG sticks and pay way closer attention to ball speed when actually hitting balls. I admittedly do a modified SSG system.

Interesting. I've pretty much given up hitting driver on my Skytrak. Get some funky readings with ballspeeds in the 170+ range, and I just have a fear that hitting a ball at the screen that hard isn't going to result in anything good which makes it really hard for me to really "go after one" in such a confined space.

how are you logging your swing speeds?

I use SSR with my SkyTrak. I make mental notes of highs with my SSG sticks and pay way closer attention to ball speed when actually hitting balls. I admittedly do a modified SSG system.

Interesting. I've pretty much given up hitting driver on my Skytrak. Get some funky readings with ballspeeds in the 170+ range, and I just have a fear that hitting a ball at the screen that hard isn't going to result in anything good which makes it really hard for me to really "go after one" in such a confined space.

I have an outdoor setup that can take any ball speed you throw at it. I think recording ball speed is very important for my training. I can swing as hard as possible during SSG and then find the middle of the club face when hitting balls. This makes for a super measured/controlled swing I can take to the course.

Average speed today with driver was 107, topped out at 110, pretty much where it was 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe I've hit a little bit of a wall? Either way, I'm not losing speed and I've cut back to doing SSG 1x per week now that it's off season for the most part. I think I can actually get more as I'm not in love with the Pro Blue shaft. Mega stiff handle section messes with my timing.

7i average speed was 92, with a max of 97 as well, which is up from about 87-88mph earlier this year.

Almost definitely going to need heavier or stiffer wedge shafts now... SW full shots were spinning over 13k 0_0 One as high as 13.6k... that ripped back almost 23 feet.

Average speed today with driver was 107, topped out at 110, pretty much where it was 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe I've hit a little bit of a wall? Either way, I'm not losing speed and I've cut back to doing SSG 1x per week now that it's off season for the most part. I think I can actually get more as I'm not in love with the Pro Blue shaft. Mega stiff handle section messes with my timing.

7i average speed was 92, with a max of 97 as well, which is up from about 87-88mph earlier this year.

Almost definitely going to need heavier or stiffer wedge shafts now... SW full shots were spinning over 13k 0_0 One as high as 13.6k... that ripped back almost 23 feet.

Was this via a trackman you have these numbers? Your 7 iron is quite fast for topping out at 110 with driver. Just an observation. You may have some inefficiencies in your driver swing you can clean up to free up another 5 mph or so.

Was this via a trackman you have these numbers? Your 7 iron is quite fast for topping out at 110 with driver. Just an observation. You may have some inefficiencies in your driver swing you can clean up to free up another 5 mph or so.

Yes sir, Trackman. Indoors though so I don't trust it much more than for ballspeed and maybe I put 95% stock in CHS since it's only measuring the CG.

With out a doubt I have some waste in the driver. I know I still hump el goat a little bit, which I don't do seem to do in the irons or wedges too much.

One thing that bugs me is inside on trackman it conssstanntttllyy tells me I hook the ball with driver, yet I go outside... almost never hit hooks. Sure I will pull it, but my stock shot is generally a tiny fade when executed right. The typical miss when I'm swinging well is just a straight pull which it's all too bad. Bad days the miss is a big swoopy cut... but never hooks.

Speeds do seem odd. My driver is about 25mph faster than my 7 iron on Trackman.

Yeah not sure... It was putting me around 165-170 carry which seems about right for normalized data. The one I swung 97 I didn't hit center so I suffered a bit on carry and spin.

Here's a question I just thought of:

Doing SSG on grass with golf shoes vs on pavement with sneakers. How many of you actually lace up and go train on real grass? It just kind of dawned on me I'm probably losing out on MPH by doing this in my driveway using my regular gym shoes.

I do it on pavement as well. Interesting observation....

Yeah not sure... It was putting me around 165-170 carry which seems about right for normalized data. The one I swung 97 I didn't hit center so I suffered a bit on carry and spin.

I see your signature.....Are you getting fit @ TXG?

Doing SSG on grass with golf shoes vs on pavement with sneakers. How many of you actually lace up and go train on real grass? It just kind of dawned on me I'm probably losing out on MPH by doing this in my driveway using my regular gym shoes.

Be careful, I've definitely noticed my knees are sore after doing this with spikes. I think gym shoes and a hard surface are safer.

Yup, tomorrow.

Be careful, I've definitely noticed my knees are sore after doing this with spikes. I think gym shoes and a hard surface are safer.

I want to try it once just to see what I feel like after. My feet tend to slip a bit on the pavement. I;ve been playing hockey for almost the past 2 decades so my knees are kind of used to taking a beating.

Yup, tomorrow.

AWESOME! Ian is an amazing fitter; knowing all the intricacies of swing dynamics and head/shaft combos. Perhaps you could get a YouTube vid out of it!? Lol. Love their channel.

I would love to get fit by Ian, but I don't know if I could commit to the distance. I'm in NY. Sounded like you have a drive ahead of you as well, though. Please post your feedback.

I do this with some sneakers and pavement. I have spikeless golf shoes, so I may give this a shot just to see if there is a difference. Thank you for the heads up.

Side note: Last night was a weird session. I swung a bit slower (consistently) with most of my swings....BUT....I had by far my fastest swings at the same time. I've been getting mid to high 130s on my 1st set of Green, but only managed 130 to start. But once I moved into step Green I hit 145...which is 4mph faster than I've seen on the monitor. I was a bit surprised and thought it could be a fluke. Next swing was 139 and the following was 142. After that they were a few MPH slower, but I guess it wasn't a fluke? I also finished up the final Green with both 138 and 141.

It just seemed odd it jumped up so much. Not that I'm complaining! But had me wondering.

AWESOME! Ian is an amazing fitter; knowing all the intricacies of swing dynamics and head/shaft combos. Perhaps you could get a YouTube vid out of it!? Lol. Love their channel.

I would love to get fit by Ian, but I don't know if I could commit to the distance. I'm in NY. Sounded like you have a drive ahead of you as well, though. Please post your feedback.

So... I was all set to go with Ian and I got a call last week, "Ian can't do your fitting because he has to fly down to Orlando on the 8th, instead of the 9th in the evening like was planned".

DOH!!

Was too late to try and cancel or reschedule my plane and also hotel (bringing the wife, going to tour Toronto for the weekend) so I am still going. Cam will be fitting me, and I have full confidence it will be fine. Would I have loved to meet Ian and pick his brain some? Totally. But I am sure Ian shares all his knowledge with his guys and that they would all give a great fit. Besides, I am just a lame 14HC right now anyway, but I've never had a real fitting other than for putter.

I have this whole sheet of notes I'm bringing with me about things I like, don't like, observations from this years season, etc. lol Cam is going to think I'm a nut.

So, unlikely a Youtube video will come out of my fitting but I will share my experiences for sure. I am also getting a lesson with Larry Cheung (the guy Matt and Ian both go to) so that will be fun as well. He might tape that and put it on his channel, who knows.

So... I was all set to go with Ian and I got a call last week, "Ian can't do your fitting because he has to fly down to Orlando on the 8th, instead of the 9th in the evening like was planned".

DOH!!

Was too late to try and cancel or reschedule my plane and also hotel (bringing the wife, going to tour Toronto for the weekend) so I am still going. Cam will be fitting me, and I have full confidence it will be fine. Would I have loved to meet Ian and pick his brain some? Totally. But I am sure Ian shares all his knowledge with his guys and that they would all give a great fit. Besides, I am just a lame 14HC right now anyway, but I've never had a real fitting other than for putter.

I have this whole sheet of notes I'm bringing with me about things I like, don't like, observations from this years season, etc. lol Cam is going to think I'm a nut.

So, unlikely a Youtube video will come out of my fitting but I will share my experiences for sure. I am also getting a lesson with Larry Cheung (the guy Matt and Ian both go to) so that will be fun as well. He might tape that and put it on his channel, who knows.

Damn!! That's kind of a bummer. Despite Ian being the owner/face of TXG, it seems Cam knows a lot as well. Good luck with the fitting and I'm sure it'll be great. Definitely make a point to say Hi to Matt! Lol.

Larry Cheung seems to know his stuff as well. Seems really cool you are getting a lesson with him. Awesome stuff.

I thought Matt was going with Ian down to FL? I'm sure they'll be doing taping of some stuff to try and promote those meet ups as I would wager TXG makes $$ off them. Plus... advertising.

Yeah he [Larry] seems to really get the whole ground pressure thing. I do see he tries to get his players to "downc0ck" the wrist during the DS which is a feeling/thought I never have, so it'll be interesting to see how that shapes up. I do know I need to work on getting more depth and probably using my legs even more, so I am looking forward to what he'll teach me.

I feel like I'm not really after distance right now though, I'm really much more concerned about proper mechanics and having a solid, repeatable motion. Even the courses that I do play from the tips, they still aren't even remotely challenging to me length wise. Not that I don't want more speed... But it's not something that's costing me strokes right now. I've seen plenty of guys who are around scratch who barely hit their driver 250. For now, I'd rather be 250-260 in the fairway than try to hit everything 290+ but maaaaaybe I'm not totally sure where it's going. Try to use SSG to slowly up my average "game time" swing, and focus on putting and short game for when I miss greens on my approaches. Then... maybe worry about tossing all my drives out there 290+ every time.