SM6 Wedges

FireMedicGolfer

"Bounce is your friend" - Bob Vokey

"The majority of amateurs don't have enough bounce" - Everyone else who isn't Bob Vokey

I agree which is exactly why I went with a 50-F....54-S....58-K

How is that 54S working out? I have 54F currently but plan to go 54S in my new wedge set.

Great. Haven't hit it from sand yet but it's got some stellar veritilaty around the green due to the trailing edge. The grind has plenty of bounce for full swings. It's just a very versatile grind.

Good to hear. Think I am going to order these with the 120S like you have. Was thinking 115 wedge shaft but I think you and others mentioned the 120s has a lower ball flight - which is what I need in wedges. Only another month or so until my club opens :(

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are killing me. My set is new and i want to change it. Wonder what will be the difference between a 58 s and a 58k.

The K has a much wider sole and more bounce.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

"Bounce is your friend" - Bob Vokey

"The majority of amateurs don't have enough bounce" - Everyone else who isn't Bob Vokey

im not sure what to think about that!!

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Bounce = good.

However for me, the K Grind just doesn't work...it's very comparable to the Nike Engage Square...wide sole with lots of bounce...and it just doesn't work for me!

Just found out that my 58S in Jet Black w/ Ctaper 120s will be arriving Thursday. Likely going to strip it like the folks on here.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X

wanted to make a quick update on my situation. decide to try the 52.12 bent to 50, the 56.10 m bent to 54 and keep the 58.10s as it is. If it doesn't work out the way i want' we, me and my clubfitter, decided to try 51 and 57 instead. i must admit that i personnaly think that 51/57 will be the best for me..... will see in a week.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

a little update on my high bounce experiment. for those that are just reading this -- i was given a new 60 degree K grind with 12 of bounce.

i had my first extended use of this in the short game area. i have to say it hits totally different than the low bounce 60. i am not totally sure that i like it. what i have discovered is that in order to use the bounce you need a very shallow or sweeping ball strike. if you get too steep - you just stick it in the ground or it bounces and you bled the ball.

one thing i did notice was great distance control when using the club to flip to 3 different pin positions (30, 45 and 60 yrs).

the real great advantage was the ease of getting shots of the sand. i really felt i had great control of getting shots out and moving towards the pin.

Just because you have a wedge with a ton of bounce, does not mean it will help you on a steep strike, especially on soft ground. The leading edge digging has nothing to do with bounce.

On full shots, the effect is VERY noticeable (divots will shallow out significantly) as the swing is very up and down.

Chipping/pitching, those who struggle with chunks are typically steep into the ball, and then have low hands through impact...and the bounce is never engaged.

Taylormade Spider X

the high bounce experiment continues.

another thing i have noticed is that my distance with the higher bounce wedges seems to be less than the low bounce wedges. not sure if that is a side effect of more bounce, confidence. but my 60 degree K grind 12 just is not able to hit the ball as far as the 60 L grind 4. however the feel and touch with the wedge are a little better - if that makes any sense.

if there are those of you considering a switch you may want to try a little stronger loft in your higher bounce wedges.

the sand game continues to be the strong point. its nothing short of a miracle and i think the sand game alone gets this club in my bag.

another thing i have noticed is that my distance with the higher bounce wedges seems to be less than the low bounce wedges. not sure if that is a side effect of more bounce, confidence. but my 60 degree K grind 12 just is not able to hit the ball as far as the 60 L grind 4. however the feel and touch with the wedge are a little better - if that makes any sense.

if there are those of you considering a switch you may want to try a little stronger loft in your higher bounce wedges.

the sand game continues to be the strong point. its nothing short of a miracle and i think the sand game alone gets this club in my bag.

Are you opening up the club face in the sand? Playing it square? Or both?

Thanks for the update :-)

Exciting thread! Getting custom fit tomorrow in Plano, TX at Golf Tech with Bo Hodnett. Heard nothing but great things. Coming from sm4's.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Are you opening up the club face in the sand? Playing it square? Or both?

Thanks for the update :-)

i usually open shots in the sand a little. i don't go full open like the pros do - however.

I need advice , please give me some support or enlightenment : ..... here we go,

Should I buy COMPLETE golf set including AW and SW ( in my opinion, the SW is useless for me ) , but having a full complete set ( 5 to P, A, S ) really makes me happy. I have peace of mind with complete set :) :)

OR , Should I buy PARTIAL set 5 to P only, and actually I make wiser or better decision ( like most better golfers ) to alternate A and S wedge with Vokey SM6 50/12 ( for A replacement ) and 58/12 ( for S replacement ).

Me choosing the 2nd option is also means $300 savings..... And I already have Vokey SM6 50/12 still brand new at home.

Thanks people .... I really need this.... I cannot decide.

Depends on the set but most of the time a set GW/AW is ok. If a set even offers a SW and LW they are generally a Game Improvement set and those clubs can get very big and clunky.

If you already have a Vokey 50 deg then just get another Vokey. Global Golf / 3Balls always have deals on used Vokeys so you could experiment for cheap.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

over the last couple of rounds i have used the K grind 60 in more and more situations. i am getting used to "using the bounce" to achieve better results and it has been working although progress at times has been some times - well 2 steps forward and a step back.

i have been better with this club around the green than the low bounce 60. we will see how it does when i use it in some competitive situations. today i used it to rescue par twice in really difficult up and down situations so i am hopeful.

over the last couple of rounds i have used the K grind 60 in more and more situations. i am getting used to "using the bounce" to achieve better results and it has been working although progress at times has been some times - well 2 steps forward and a step back.

i have been better with this club around the green than the low bounce 60. we will see how it does when i use it in some competitive situations. today i used it to rescue par twice in really difficult up and down situations so i am hopeful.

i hesitate to put a k grind over a l grind due some tight lies i might come across. How do you handle the tight lies?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Well i bought a 52.12 and a 58.10s 2 weeks ago. Played 3 rounds in florida on my golf trip and i must admit that i regret my purchase. I should have bought a 50.08f, a 54.10s and a 60 either l or m grind. Found my self with some shot that i could use a 54 in the sand, and the 60 could have worked better on tight lies with a m or l grind. You might see a 52/58 in jet black in the bst soon.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Well i bought a 52.12 and a 58.10s 2 weeks ago. Played 3 rounds in florida on my golf trip and i must admit that i regret my purchase. I should have bought a 50.08f, a 54.10s and a 60 either l or m grind. Found my self with some shot that i could use a 54 in the sand, and the 60 could have worked better on tight lies with a m or l grind. You might see a 52/58 in jet black in the bst soon.

I have a 58* L grind and it is awesome. Phoenix is dry, the turf can be really firm and the lies can be tight. It performs incredibly well off these types of lies. In the bunker, I have found myself pulling out the 54* F grind a bit more when it's fluffy. The L grind 58* can easily go straight under the ball with that little amount of bounce. If the sand is more firm/packed or the lie is perfectly flat, than the 58* is fine. But anywhere where it's super fluffy or the lie isn't great, the L Grind on my 58* seems harder to work with than the 54* with more bounce.

The S grind didn't work for me at all. I have also never been a fan of M grind. I can work with them but never feel comfortable with them. Most of my duffed/chunked/etc chips from tight lies have come with a M grind in my hand. The L grind has pretty much eliminated that. Now it's figuring out the bunker swing to get consistency.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I have a 58* L grind and it is awesome. Phoenix is dry, the turf can be really firm and the lies can be tight. It performs incredibly well off these types of lies. In the bunker, I have found myself pulling out the 54* F grind a bit more when it's fluffy. The L grind 58* can easily go straight under the ball with that little amount of bounce. If the sand is more firm/packed or the lie is perfectly flat, than the 58* is fine. But anywhere where it's super fluffy or the lie isn't great, the L Grind on my 58* seems harder to work with than the 54* with more bounce.

The S grind didn't work for me at all. I have also never been a fan of M grind. I can work with them but never feel comfortable with them. Most of my duffed/chunked/etc chips from tight lies have come with a M grind in my hand. The L grind has pretty much eliminated that. Now it's figuring out the bunker swing to get consistency.

up in canada, the condition are more soft than what i played last week in florida. The l grind would have been great there. Have you tried the l grind in softer condition?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I'd be interested in that 52 if you want to pass along a deal.

It just comes down to the MAJORITY of the shots you will be faced with. There is no one miracle wedge that works in every condition, however there are miracle players that can make nearly any wedge work on any shot. Big difference.

Being steeper and more "hitter" with the wedges, the bounce and S grind is great for me. A tight lie has never scared me but a wet one does.

Taylormade Spider X

Need your help guys. I have a 52.12f, a 56.10m sm5, a 58.10s grind and a spin milled 2009 60.10 ( similar to a k grind). If i take the 52 and bent it to 51, the 56 to 55 and the 58 to 59, will it make sense? Tried 52, 58 and found i had a too big gap with my 46 pw. Almost 20 yards. Maybe an other shaft in my 52.... i play c taper lite stiff in my irons and in my sm6 i have stock s200. Need your advices guys!

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

i hesitate to put a k grind over a l grind due some tight lies i might come across. How do you handle the tight lies?

well this is a good question. i will say the transition to the higher bounce club for me has been gradual and i have deployed the club in more and more situations. But i will say the K grind has no problem with a tight fairway lie. But, you have to learn how to use the bounce of the club. This is not easy, because you don't trap the ball as much as you kind of skid through the shot. The only real problem is lies that are tight -- like hard pan, firmly packed waste bunkers etc.

where the k grind excels is in the bunkers, in rough around the greens and in chipping from fairway lies.

for me the club makes sense because i don't hit 14 greens in regulation and i am frequently faced with situations where i need to get up and down out of some difficult lies.

i echo the sentiments of those that have said that no one wedge will get exactly what you want on every shot.

well this is a good question. i will say the transition to the higher bounce club for me has been gradual and i have deployed the club in more and more situations. But i will say the K grind has no problem with a tight fairway lie. But, you have to learn how to use the bounce of the club. This is not easy, because you don't trap the ball as much as you kind of skid through the shot. The only real problem is lies that are tight -- like hard pan, firmly packed waste bunkers etc.

where the k grind excels is in the bunkers, in rough around the greens and in chipping from fairway lies.

for me the club makes sense because i don't hit 14 greens in regulation and i am frequently faced with situations where i need to get up and down out of some difficult lies.

i echo the sentiments of those that have said that no one wedge will get exactly what you want on every shot.

wise words.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Been using vokeys since the SM1 and oilcan/black stripped to raw steel is the best way IMO. No glare and no ugly wear patterns:

IMG_0271_zpsb1wbbszq.jpg

how did you strip them. Also can you strip chrome wedges. I just got sm6 in chrome but still have a md3 50 degree in raw black. I would at least like to get that one to raw. So can you tell me how you did it to your wedges

Been using vokeys since the SM1 and oilcan/black stripped to raw steel is the best way IMO. No glare and no ugly wear patterns:

IMG_0271_zpsb1wbbszq.jpg

how did you strip them. Also can you strip chrome wedges. I just got sm6 in chrome but still have a md3 50 degree in raw black. I would at least like to get that one to raw. So can you tell me how you did it to your wedges

All the information you seek is in this thread. Just go back and read.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Last years wedges (USA Theme for Ryder Cup year)

This year, stripped em and did up a Masters theme. Like this years better (getting better at the process) and can't wait for the Masters!

hold on… your saying that you stripped chrome vokeys. If I'm hearing this right it is great news for me. So is that what you did

IMG_0271_zpsb1wbbszq.jpg

i did the raw black one. Still can't find of you can do chrome. Leaning to no because it seems like a plating

IMG_0271_zpsb1wbbszq.jpg

i did the raw black one. Still can't find of you can do chrome. Leaning to no because it seems like a plating

It is possible, but you need some serious chemicals I believe. Much more than the vinegar/CLR technique used on the raw black ones!