SM6 Wedges

FireMedicGolfer

I've read countless times that the 58.12 K grind is so good in the bunker. How is it with normal chip/pitch around the green?

As with all wedges, it is completely dependent on your swing. If you are steep its hard to find a better wedge around the green. If you are shallow its hard to find a worse wedge around the green. Players tend to make steep bunker swings and miss too far behind the ball when in the sand, which is the miss the high-bounce K "fixes" (slightly fat with a steep attack angle). If, when you pitch/chip, your miss is slightly fat and you have a steep attack angle you'll love it. If your miss is a right-shoulder-dips blade with a shallow attack angle it'll make you worse.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your take on the 58 degree Phil Mickelson mack daddy wedge?

Not sure if you are asking me, but from another thread (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1472282-most-versatile-lob/):

The PM grind is unique because it is a high bounce wedge where the leading edge sits directly flush on the ground (the bounce is "behind" the leading edge). This gives you a ton of forgiveness if you hit it fat (the high bounce skips it through the ball) or if you hit it thin (there is virtually no leading edge to thin it with). The result is a wedge that is very difficult to hit poorly around the green, but is also very difficult to hit well from distance (the sharp edge digs, the high bounce bounces you into the ball - which is fine for 10 yards, not so fine for 90).

No wedge is perfect. The PM grind is a good example. It would be tough to find a better configuration for around the green for 80% of low to moderately skilled players, but it would also be pretty tough to find a worse configuration for shots outside of 40 yards.

Everyone just throwing out wedges here is ridiculous. Low bounce vokey K grind?!? You know nothing about the OP's swing or miss and you are recommending what is probably the most expensive wedge in the world from a major manufacturer that is *incredibly unlikely* to help him. Someone who actually fits into a low bounce K is like someone who likes chocolate cake but hates brownies. The K grind helps you if your steep, and low bounce helps you if you are shallow. A highly skilled player (Duffner, for example) can notice this slight difference in bounce versus wide sole - that is, he can spin the ball with the lower bounce and still get forgiveness from the wide sole. It is unbelievably unlikely that the OP is like that (he wants to play high-spin stop shots but still have a wide sole). This requires very solid mechanics. I have no doubt you like the low bounce K as a +2.5. I also have no doubt it would be a disaster for the OP.

OP, wedge grind is an incredibly personal thing that is very, very unique to the individual player. Are you a picker, digger, driver, sweeper? Grind is all relative, there is no "good" grind. Stop just throwing out wedge types and grinds - that's ridiculous. OP, tell us way way more about your game, specifically about what your greenside divots look like, if any, and the greenside shots you struggle with.

Incidentally the PM grind is the exact opposite of the low bounce K - it is high bounce, tight leading edge. They basically took a wedge made for an elite player and flipped it.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

• 1 month later...

well i have been using my new 60 degree k grind now for a while - and i am loving it. its place in the bag is secure. it has really helped my short wedge game and has helped me convert a lot of tough up and downs from around the green.

it is really superior in the rough and is un beatable in the sand.

it has been a great purchase for me and has really opened my eyes to "using the bounce".

What is your take on the 58 degree Phil Mickelson mack daddy wedge?

Not sure if you are asking me, but from another thread (http://www.golfwrx.c...-versatile-lob/):

The PM grind is unique because it is a high bounce wedge where the leading edge sits directly flush on the ground (the bounce is "behind" the leading edge). This gives you a ton of forgiveness if you hit it fat (the high bounce skips it through the ball) or if you hit it thin (there is virtually no leading edge to thin it with). The result is a wedge that is very difficult to hit poorly around the green, but is also very difficult to hit well from distance (the sharp edge digs, the high bounce bounces you into the ball - which is fine for 10 yards, not so fine for 90).

No wedge is perfect. The PM grind is a good example. It would be tough to find a better configuration for around the green for 80% of low to moderately skilled players, but it would also be pretty tough to find a worse configuration for shots outside of 40 yards.

Everyone just throwing out wedges here is ridiculous. Low bounce vokey K grind?!? You know nothing about the OP's swing or miss and you are recommending what is probably the most expensive wedge in the world from a major manufacturer that is *incredibly unlikely* to help him. Someone who actually fits into a low bounce K is like someone who likes chocolate cake but hates brownies. The K grind helps you if your steep, and low bounce helps you if you are shallow. A highly skilled player (Duffner, for example) can notice this slight difference in bounce versus wide sole - that is, he can spin the ball with the lower bounce and still get forgiveness from the wide sole. It is unbelievably unlikely that the OP is like that (he wants to play high-spin stop shots but still have a wide sole). This requires very solid mechanics. I have no doubt you like the low bounce K as a +2.5. I also have no doubt it would be a disaster for the OP.

OP, wedge grind is an incredibly personal thing that is very, very unique to the individual player. Are you a picker, digger, driver, sweeper? Grind is all relative, there is no "good" grind. Stop just throwing out wedge types and grinds - that's ridiculous. OP, tell us way way more about your game, specifically about what your greenside divots look like, if any, and the greenside shots you struggle with.

Incidentally the PM grind is the exact opposite of the low bounce K - it is high bounce, tight leading edge. They basically took a wedge made for an elite player and flipped it.

Great analysis of the PM grind wedge. Spot on.

I'm too ocd so I went with chrome. (46, 54, 60) The black look great on the shelf but not keen on the wearing marks etc. Should be no difference performance wise, just what best suits your eye.

Ping - G425 max dr, w/alta cb slate 

Ping - G425 max 5 wd & hy, w/alta cb red

Srixon - ZX MKii Utility, 4ut, w/UST recoil  

Srixon - ZX5 MKii 5i & ZX7 MKii 6-PW, w/SG s300

Titleist - Vokey SM9, 52.12°F, 56.12°D, 60.12°D w/DG s200

Scotty Cameron - Custom Phantom x5.5

Bridgestone - Tour B XS

• 2 weeks later...

Will they ever offer the whole SM6 range in the raw finish?

Pretty keen on a 50.12 and 56.14, but I don't like the stock finishes :(

Black finish plus vinigar equals raw with less rust. Read around on people removing it. I just took the finish off my SM5's and they look great.

Its actually incredibly easy to do and comes out awesome.

Here's a great article on how to do it:

https://www.mygolfsp...ng-golf-wedges/

I used rifle barrel oil after getting the metal blue-hot and my SM4s are a very unique flat blue finish with no color (you can burn the color out with the torch). But you can just leave them raw and not do the torch part of the process. As long as you wipe them down with an oil cloth after every round you won't get rust. If you finish with the blowtorch into whatever color you want you won't need the cloth nearly as much, but its hard to not need it at all (there are a few spos where rust can form if the carbon steel doesn't get hot enough everywhere even though it changes color).

EDIT: There is a chart somewhere on the web (i tried to find it) that shows you what color your wedges will seal at certain temperatures. All the low temps are blue and purple but they work their way up to brown, red, yellow and even bright white.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

• 7 months later...

Just got T7s, and they are fine. But he also picked up an Epon 210kgx at 56. Just looks so cool. Reminds him of old Tourney wedges...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Still love my SM6s... thinking of having my 52/12 bent to 50. I think the black finish is by far the best and still spin phenomenally well... They look cool raw but I can't imagine taking all that black away, they just look so sleek, even with some wear. I used to stay away from Vokeys but I am in love with the 6s.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I've got two new vokeys coming tomorrow and I can't wait! 56s and 60k both in steel grey.

I also got them with the same shaft I have in my irons, project x lz 6.0's which I absolutely love. This will be the first time I've had matching shafts in my wedges as my irons so I'm excited to see how it works out.

Where did you find them with project x lz shafts?

Im looking everywhere.

I just ordered 3 sm6 wedges last week from discounts dans with kbs 610. Depending on color and what wedges you want, you can still order from them with a custom shaft for a good price.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this still works on the sm7

Are you asking about stripping them raw? the answer is yes.

The most asked question on golf wrx.....

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered some SM6 in steel grey. Just curious how they look after several rounds? Don't mind sweetspot wear more curious if finish wears enough to cause glare?

No it will not glare. Even with wear

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Just ordered some SM6 in steel grey. Just curious how they look after several rounds? Don't mind sweetspot wear more curious if finish wears enough to cause glare?

No it will not glare. Even with wear

I've had the SM6 wedges in Steel Gray since they came out and they don't glare.

Just picked up a 46* steel grey, no glare either. Great looking wedge.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"