2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Distance Thread (Really looking at your distances)

Full swings, but not "stepping on it". I can squeeze an extra 5 yards out of each listed if I need.

LW (58): ?

SW (54): 105

GW (50): 115

PW (45): 128

9i (40): 143

8i (36): 155

7i (32): 165

6i (28): 180

5i (25): 195

4i (21) 205

3h (19) 225

3w (15) (rarely hit off the deck...carry it around 240 off the tee)

D: 260 (carry)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People not knowing how far they hit each club are only doing a disservice to themselves. Many golfers will say they hit a club a certain distance based on that one pure shot they hit. I play a lot of golf and it is rare indeed to see the golfers I am paired with hit approach shots long. The vast majority are short, and if there is a hazard fronting the green...

I base my distances on an average...throwing out any outliers. If anything, I am usually a bit long...deeper into the green. Better that though and coming up short into a hazard.

I also play the tee box given how far I hit my driver (driver carry distance multiplied by 26). I find I am hitting irons into most greens, unlike many I see hitting fairway woods and hybrids into many par 4's. I mean if that's one's definition of fun, have at it, but if the professionals have trouble hitting greens with such long clubs, what chance does the amateur have?

I am amazed at how this is such an ego driven game for many a golfer. Two examples: a fitter I spoke with was working with a client who picked up a legitimate 20 yards with a new driver. The client saw the shaft had an "L" on it and told the fitter he only plays stiff flex. He purchased a new driver that was no better than his old one, and left 20 yards on the table. // I was playing with a father/son twosome. The father was averaging about 150 off the tee, yet was playing the middle tees. After a few holes I asked the son why his father didn't move up. He sighed and said he'd been trying to convince him to move up, but his father refuses. He didn't hit one green in regulation all day...didn't come close...and was clearly frustrated.

This game is hard enough as it is. I am constantly amazed at the fragility of so many people that they let their egos dictate how to play this game. So many golfers are afraid of what other people will think (so they play back, start making excuses on the first tee before they hit their first shot, play the wrong kind of equipment, etc).

Me? I couldn't care less. I am playing because I am passionate about the game and to have a fun. Frankly, I am just grateful that I have the opportunity to play this great game.

What seems to get lost in the 3w thread that the OP posted heavily in, and now this one is that there are plenty of good golfers who know how far they hit it and make consistent contact. In the 3w thread it was like it was unfathomable that someone one could hit a few good three woods in a row. And now here, maybe some guys are super consistent with a PW and struggle with 5irons. That's ok. But to lecture people for pages on end about this theory to guys you've never met is just patronizing. There are people out there who can hit 10 consecutive 4 irons a similar distance This is an enthusiasts site. There are plenty of good golfers who visit this site. Many of the clueless ams do not visit this site. Also threads about distance tend to draw posts from longer hitters. This is all because guys claimed to hit 3 woods 250 in the air. I don't average that, but I can name 3-4 guys at my club who do. Juniors who murder the ball and play off sub 5 indexes. That's one club in a small golf province in Canada. But we're going to flip out because guys on an enthusiasts site with 200k members say they can do it

Couldn't have said it better

OP

I'm sorry I'm probably thick headed.

Can you please state in one or two sentences the point you're trying to make In this thread ?

Thank you.

For you Issac?

I was B#tt hurt in another thread, I cried a little, threw a fit, and decided to make my own thread to justify. :pimp:

Is that what you want to hear?

if not if you read everything you would understand, likely with your game, this thread really doesnt apply to you, but meh who knows.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I don't agree at all to your theory. My 3 wood carry # on solid strikes is 250, my 3 iron is 210. I can hit my # with my 3wood 9/10 times at a minimum, but with my 3 iron I'd drop the odds I hit my # to about 7/10. Both of these clubs when hit solid will have very similar dispersion (carry). I'm much more confident hitting my 3wood consistently than my 3 iron.

Also, the bs about distances on here is so overblown. I live in the PNW where it is constantly cold, wet, windy, no roll, and heavy air. If I play in TX, CA, Colorado, etc. on a hot day, I'd add 10-15 yards carry and about 20 more of roll (off the tee) to my distances. I went to school in CA and it was stupid how much further the ball goes there. Those that run to the PGA Trackman averages also completely ignore this. Those #s that are always posted here do not take into account weather, temperatures, altitude, conditions, etc. The PGA tour intentionally plans tournaments to be played in the best possible weather, hence why these early season events tend to be in Hawaii, LA (although the storm screwed that up!), etc. The guys play in pristine conditions most of the time, so those trackman #s understate what actually happens on the course.

I never understand why people get so obsessed about distance on the internet. There are so many factors involved (including how honest that person is being) that it is essentially irrelevant. All that matters is how far you need to hit the current shot you're standing over, and picking the proper club for that shot given the current conditions.

And that is ok, your opinion is your opinion, I did not expect this to be universal and a one size fits all thread. I will say this, realistically speaking.

I intend to use this thread for myself as well, to really settle in on a happy median,

I would not be surprised 2 months later I revise the listed distances and something changed in my swing, either longer or shorter... that is why I have a day job, but in all honest opinion, if you do not even know what your base lines and reliable base lines are for your clubs, how do play golf LOL?

I mean even if there is wind.... its a 125 yards, because you dont keep track you can hit a 4,5,6,7,8,9 iron 125 yards at any point in time to give you the most optimal chance at scoring? You sir are incredible and special at that! With that reading your response you missed the point of this thread.

I am NOT talking how long you can hit it, exactly what you stated in your last statement is what the point of this thread was about, "picking the proper club for the shot given the current conditions" You said it, i said that, I am agree, so not sure what you are actually disagree with me about?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

People not knowing how far they hit each club are only doing a disservice to themselves. Many golfers will say they hit a club a certain distance based on that one pure shot they hit. I play a lot of golf and it is rare indeed to see the golfers I am paired with hit approach shots long. The vast majority are short, and if there is a hazard fronting the green...

I base my distances on an average...throwing out any outliers. If anything, I am usually a bit long...deeper into the green. Better that though and coming up short into a hazard.

I also play the tee box given how far I hit my driver (driver carry distance multiplied by 26). I find I am hitting irons into most greens, unlike many I see hitting fairway woods and hybrids into many par 4's. I mean if that's one's definition of fun, have at it, but if the professionals have trouble hitting greens with such long clubs, what chance does the amateur have?

I am amazed at how this is such an ego driven game for many a golfer. Two examples: a fitter I spoke with was working with a client who picked up a legitimate 20 yards with a new driver. The client saw the shaft had an "L" on it and told the fitter he only plays stiff flex. He purchased a new driver that was no better than his old one, and left 20 yards on the table. // I was playing with a father/son twosome. The father was averaging about 150 off the tee, yet was playing the middle tees. After a few holes I asked the son why his father didn't move up. He sighed and said he'd been trying to convince him to move up, but his father refuses. He didn't hit one green in regulation all day...didn't come close...and was clearly frustrated.

This game is hard enough as it is. I am constantly amazed at the fragility of so many people that they let their egos dictate how to play this game. So many golfers are afraid of what other people will think (so they play back, start making excuses on the first tee before they hit their first shot, play the wrong kind of equipment, etc).

Me? I couldn't care less. I am playing because I am passionate about the game and to have a fun. Frankly, I am just grateful that I have the opportunity to play this great game.

I dont play with PGA tour pros, nor high level players, and this is what I see on a normal basis, in comparison to some others on this forums, Yes the greater may play in clubs, mini tours, PGA Tour what ever, but I dont... I play with everday joe, and I see exactly what Sean typed above.

If 80% of golfers cant break 90, That leaves the greater percent of 20% on this forum, Or the greater 80% outside of this forum looking in. I was one of them and still am the 80% looking in, If I was humbled even earlier in my golfing career, Im sure I would be at a much higher level than I am right now...... FACT.......

Thanks Sean for the insightful post.......

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I hit my 4iron(23*) 200 yards like a few of y'all but only get 230 carry at most with my 15* 3wood?

Do you launch the ball low? Some low-launchers I know prefer 16-18º woods/hybrids and can actually hit them a little farther and more accurately because they can launch them more comfortably.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

How are y'all getting 250+ carry with presumably a 15* 3wood?

I hit my 4iron(23*) 200 yards like a few of y'all but only get 230 carry at most with my 15* 3wood?

I swing harder and hit it cleaner on a more consistent basis w/ my 3 wood. I have about a ~25 yd gap between my 2 iron and 3 wood, but I can hit that # w/ my 3 wood more consistently. Plus the whole graphite shaft thing is in play here.

I am NOT talking how long you can hit it, exactly what you stated in your last statement is what the point of this thread was about, "picking the proper club for the shot given the current conditions" You said it, i said that, I am agree, so not sure what you are actually disagree with me about?

The whole diminishing returns stuff is completely untrue.

I dont play with PGA tour pros, nor high level players, and this is what I see on a normal basis, in comparison to some others on this forums, Yes the greater may play in clubs, mini tours, PGA Tour what ever, but I dont... I play with everday joe, and I see exactly what Sean typed above.

If 80% of golfers cant break 90, That leaves the greater percent of 20% on this forum, Or the greater 80% outside of this forum looking in. I was one of them and still am the 80% looking in, If I was humbled even earlier in my golfing career, Im sure I would be at a much higher level than I am right now...... FACT.......

Thanks Sean for the insightful post.......

:hi:

I use the Golfshot app and since 2009 I have hit 76% of my fairways. I have hit roughly 44% of my greens in that time frame. Pretty good sample size.

I'm also lucky to hit it 255 with a 97-103 dd

I'm a flat swinger, and a picker so sometimes my height isn't right. If I fly at greens from 160 sometimes i may catch it thin and find the hazards. If I aim for the mouth of the green It always links golf bounces on.

I know my distances and can't really go flag hunting until I get my 8 iron in my hand.

Yes and your statement, speaks volume, "Its untrue" because you say it is, at least give your statement a fighting change give some examples, As unfortunately, the longer PGA tour pros go, the wilder they get and with that, same with amateurs, +handicaps, scratch handicappers, I dont know ANY player in my entire life, that hits a Driver straighter dead on with a precise distance, better than their LW,SW,GW or PW......

LOL, I would bet you hit your lower irons, with better distance control and direction than you do with your driver.

*edit* I re-read your post, You are unique, if you have that ability, Thats great you have more consistency with your 3wood, than you do your other irons, That, I would say is rare, But then I ask you this questions, Do you not see this as something to work for to increase? Why are you more consistent with your 3 wood then your other clubs?

Are the clubs fit wrong, are you swinging different, Could you setup your clubs similar to feel like your 3wood and swing all your clubs super consistent?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

How are y'all getting 250+ carry with presumably a 15* 3wood?

I have distances similiar to yours, but the guys that carry it 250 are only like 10% more, isnt that reasonable to think they can do that?

Actually you bring up a very very good point, "Its only 10%" And yes it is reasonable to think so, repeatable, is another questions, or on demand. Stars gotta align to have a repeatable swing with clubs alot longer, (again diminishing returns at longer clubs as I discussed)

with a good swing, 143mph ball speed, 3wood @ 11* launch with 3600rpms, = about 230 yards carry, Generically speaking, = 143/1.48 = 96mph Swing speed, for a 3wood,

What does it take to hit a 250 carry 3 wood, 152 mph ball speed with the similar launch characteristics, That is an 9mph ball speed increase. = 152/1.48 = 102mph swing speed, for you to increase by 10% you need to increase your swing speed by 6mph,

Again sure there are beast that are out there that have it, no doubt, this is just asking, are "you/any" player realistic to your numbers internally, I dont care if you are or not, Just putting things into perspective.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

For 3 wood carry I think you have to state whether its from the deck or tee, because there's a difference of like 20 yards, at least for me

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

Until late 2015, I didn't really know mine. I thought I did, but game golf changed all of that that. Been using game golf for about 50 or so rounds now, and so according to game golf, here are my average distance with full swing. I go at it about 80 %. Standing on flat ground I can hit the ball several yards farther, but most of my shots are not from flat ground. Ball below my feet, I will swing a 7i easy for better control rather than an 8. Ball above my feet, I will hit a 9 because I know the ball is gonna go longer than average. etc. I will tell you guys this too. Midway through last year, my HC started dropping since I learned what it's really gonna take to get pin high. And being pin high (or close to it) more often made my short game a bit easier.

I wish I could drive the ball 275, heck, even 250 but I don't. It is what it is.

Driver 238

3 wood 213

4 Hybrid - 189

4 iron 184

5 iron 171

6 iron 159

7 iron 146

8 iron 138

9 iron 133

PW 116

50 - 102

SW 88

Yes and your statement, speaks volume, "Its untrue" because you say it is, at least give your statement a fighting change give some examples, As unfortunately, the long PGA tour pros go, the wilder they get and with that, same with amateurs, +handicaps, scratch handicappers, I dont know ANY player in my entire life, that hits a Driver straighter dead on with a precise distance, better than their LW,SW,GW or PW......

LOL, I would bet you hit your lower irons, with better distance control and direction than you do with your driver.

*edit* I re-read your post, You are unique, if you have that ability, Thats great you have more consistency with your 3wood, than you do your other irons, That, I would say is rare, But then I ask you this questions, Do you not see this as something to work for to increase? Why are you more consistent with your 3 wood then your other clubs?

Are the clubs fit wrong, are you swinging different, Could you setup your clubs similar to feel like your 3wood and swing all your clubs super consistent?

By your own logic, you're saying its untrue because you say it is. See how crazy that sounds? If you lack cognitive flexibility to even consider the fact that you may be wrong, then you are hampering your ability to improve. In addition, it just makes your 'opinion' posts completely meaningless.

Your counter argument is you don't know anyone who hits a driver as consistent as a lob wedge? I never said those words, and neither has anyone else in this thread. Your point is irrelevant.

3 woods are incredibly easy to hit. Ever notice the trend lately of people ditching 2, 3, 4, and sometimes even 5 irons to put more woods and hybrids in their bag? Ever wonder why that is? They are simply easier to hit for many players. This fact goes against your core argument.

As far as distances go, I'm more reliable and consistent than I used to be and would certainly like to hit it farther like anyone else, but I'm fairly happy with how I hit it. I carry my driver about 260-265 on a very good swing, 6 iron about 170-175, and PW 125-130. I just got a ridiculous shaft for my 3 wood that makes it play differently than any 3 wood I've hit, and it does put me in that category of potentially carrying a 3 wood 250 off the tee and maybe the turf as well.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

By your own logic, you're saying its untrue because you say it is. See how crazy that sounds? If you lack cognitive flexibility to even consider the fact that you may be wrong, then you are hampering your ability to improve. In addition, it just makes your 'opinion' posts completely meaningless.

Your counter argument is you don't know anyone who hits a driver as consistent as a lob wedge? I never said those words, and neither has anyone else in this thread. Your point is irrelevant.

3 woods are incredibly easy to hit. Ever notice the trend lately of people ditching 2, 3, 4, and sometimes even 5 irons to put more woods and hybrids in their bag? Ever wonder why that is? They are simply easier to hit for many players. This fact goes against your core argument.

Before this gets derailed, Lets see if we can address the topic?

Do you know your distances?

Are you comfortable with your distances?

Are they confirmed on course with accuracy?

If yes to all, then you are good? No point in getting into a pissing contest with you.

With that My theory about diminishing return at the top of the bag, is generally speaking, Same with many discussions here, there are many unique players and abilities that just go against the mold high handicappers playing better with blades, scatch players playing better with SGI and hybrids,

But generally speaking, the bottom of the bag is much more reliable to collect and validate distance. The upper end of the bag is much harder to collect this data, along with being accurate in both distance control and dispersion control in comparison to the bottom of the bag. If you feel this theory is wrong please feel free to address why its wrong as by data, statitics and people that play golf this holds true, Diminishing returns on the upper end. again, A consistent swing applied to a PW will likely have better distance control and dispersion than a 7iron, with that a 7iron will have better dispersion and distance control than a 5 wood and so forth, if this is wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

You can call me names and all kinds of other stuff, I really dont care, but if you want to debate/discuss something then discuss it rather just saying Im untrue?

Lets start there and then we can discuss my driver vs LW and the Woods & Hybrids to replace a 2,3,4,5,6,7 iron.......... as that really has nothing to do with my topic.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

OP

I'm sorry I'm probably thick headed.

Can you please state in one or two sentences the point you're trying to make In this thread ?

Thank you.

For you Issac?

I was B#tt hurt in another thread, I cried a little, threw a fit, and decided to make my own thread to justify. :pimp:

Is that what you want to hear?

if not if you read everything you would understand, likely with your game, this thread really doesnt apply to you, but meh who knows.

I was being serious. I genuinely don't really understand what's happening in this thread but that's OK I'll go find another one .

Cheers

On the point of SGI fliers ... They are mostly getting the distance from low spin numbers (varying reasons like loft & head design) ... lets make this situational ... I play golf in rural Ireland, its wet, windy & the rough is long. A said SGI 7i is spinning at 5600 for me off a mat in a driving range, dry ball, dry clubface. That same strike from the long wet grass, downhill, downwind ... that thing is spinning maybe <2000RPM .... its going to go an absolute mile!

I know someone will say that this could happen with any head design, but the point is, Id rather start with a higher spinning iron, also a smaller clubhead that will have as little contact with the grass as possible & give me the best chance of a ball that might stop on the green!

Modern SGI irons dont have "hotspots" but 5 or 6 years ago I'd argue that they did.... Yes ... I'm looking at you Taylormade Burners :taunt:

I don't think about distance in the same way as OP.

I think about dispersion.

Shorter irons is about controlling distance (front to rear) whereas longer shorts is more about side to side variability because of spin differences.

If I have a tucked pin up front at say 148 yards and my 29 iron is "150 yards", I am really thinking in terms of my process capability or range of distances, which is more like 145-152 yards because the distribution of distances is skewed. So, unless my game is on, I might hit a little cut with 28 iron and be very satisfied with a 25 foot putt. If I slightly mishit the little 28 iron, I look like a hero but in either case, I have a chance at birdie.

On the other hand a 212 yard shot gets me thinking left vs right and where trouble is. If the pin is on the right and death is over there, and if I know my variance with my 24 iron is plus/minus 18 yards, my aim is 18 yards left of the pin.

It is sort of like shooting sporting clays, your shots have patterns. Shotguns and golf shots are not rifles, they are more like sprayers and some of us pray more than others.

Disclaimer: these distanec figures are fictitious to protect the innocent

Driver distance is insignificant to me. As long as possible is how I rate it.

3 wood is about 265 total, or when all my other clubs cannot reach.

From there, I measure the maximum distance of each club on a solid strike. I take an average of about 20 solid shots on the range. That's my distance for that club.

On the course I apply that distance, then take into account slope, wind etc... Also where I would land on a poorer strike, which is usually shorter than a solid hit. That will determine what club I hit.

Before this gets derailed, Lets see if we can address the topic?

Do you know your distances?

Are you comfortable with your distances?

Are they confirmed on course with accuracy?

If yes to all, then you are good? No point in getting into a pissing contest with you.

With that My theory about diminishing return at the top of the bag, is generally speaking, Same with many discussions here, there are many unique players and abilities that just go against the mold high handicappers playing better with blades, scatch players playing better with SGI and hybrids,

But generally speaking, the bottom of the bag is much more reliable to collect and validate distance. The upper end of the bag is much harder to collect this data, along with being accurate in both distance control and dispersion control in comparison to the bottom of the bag. If you feel this theory is wrong please feel free to address why its wrong as by data, statitics and people that play golf this holds true, Diminishing returns on the upper end. again, A consistent swing applied to a PW will likely have better distance control and dispersion than a 7iron, with that a 7iron will have better dispersion and distance control than a 5 wood and so forth, if this is wrong please feel free to enlighten me.

You can call me names and all kinds of other stuff, I really dont care, but if you want to debate/discuss something then discuss it rather just saying Im untrue?

Lets start there and then we can discuss my driver vs LW and the Woods & Hybrids to replace a 2,3,4,5,6,7 iron.......... as that really has nothing to do with my topic.

I didn't call you any kind of name. You were the one unwilling to have a logical discussion, which is exactly what I pointed out. You replied to this by getting upset and using all caps, etc. Take a step back and re-read your own posts man....unreal!