2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SoCal NET Team Play -- Playoff Bound with a team of mostly scratch golfers

We had a make-up match against Morgan Run at their place on Saturday and needed to win outright in order to advance to the playoffs. Always tough to get a win on the road in golf.

Well we won handily, and advanced to the playoffs. There are 12 guys that play each week, and usually our top 8 - 10 players carry LI's of 2 or below.

We routinely had to give 4-8 strokes per man, on average, and finished 5-1 in pool play against three teams with the format being a home and home against each with players paired in teams of two, each player playing an individual match and also a team match with his partner vs the other team.

Always a good time, and always great competition.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thurs or Sat team?

Saturday. Thursday also mdse the playoffs.

Congrats. We made the playoffs also.

What club?

• 2 weeks later...

We won our first round of the playoffs match, 33-15. Shot 5-under 67 to win a tough match giving up 8 strokes. Won 3&2.

Playing a new driver at 44-inches. LOVE IT!

You give 8 and drop a 67 on you opponent? On his course? CLUTCH!

Thanks! And, yeah, played really well. Played the whites, with a rating/slope of only 68.5/118, but I'll take it! :-)

You give 8 and drop a 67 on you opponent? On his course? CLUTCH!

Thanks! And, yeah, played really well. Played the whites, with a rating/slope of only 68.5/118, but I'll take it! :-)

Was he in shock afterwards?

Yes, kinda. LOL

I just looked at the results of your team's match. I can't believe that amount of strokes some of you were giving. 19-22 in some matches! And you guys still kicked Word not allowed! You guys look like the favorites to take it all.

Meadowlark will be tough next week. They won it all last year.

I just looked at the results of your team's match. I can't believe that amount of strokes some of you were giving. 19-22 in some matches! And you guys still kicked Word not allowed! You guys look like the favorites to take it all.

Meadowlark?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Meadowlark?

Big time sandbaggers. If you look at all of their matches, 60% of their guys shoot their handicap or better playing off of their L.I. At home, the percentage is higher yet.

Meadowlark?

Big time sandbaggers. If you look at all of their matches, 60% of their guys shoot their handicap or better playing off of their L.I. At home, the percentage is higher yet.

I was going to say.. how is that even enforced? We had a first round bye and have our match this Thursday. Thought of playing a net format against Meadowlark makes me cringe.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Meadowlark?

I was going to say.. how is that even enforced? We had a first round bye and have our match this Thursday. Thought of playing a net format against Meadowlark makes me cringe.

You play Thursdays, as do I which seems to have less of that going on. Saturdays are much worse for sandbagging. Look at some of the matches Obee's team played last week. They had their scratch guys playing 22-23 handicaps in a couple! I think they gave at least 6 in every match. That's ridiculous in match play. The SCGA doesn't even require a TeamPlay scores be posted as tournament rounds except the playoffs. That is a huge mistake.

I am starting to really hate SCGA team play. There are SO many sandbaggers playing. If you look at Meadowlark they have a YUGE advantage. You have to look at their course and its rating. We have played them in years past and it is almost impossible to beat them with the amount of strokes they get. The course is rated so low at 115/67.1 par 70. Super short course at 5500 yards. so if you play there regularly you will have a higher index than your actual playing ability because if you shoot even par there it posts like a 5 or 6 handicap. Courses like this one and Fullerton also run amuck with baggers. I have played for years and been a Team Captain for 10+, i have since retired from that, but Brookside also is a huge sandbaggin team. In their own club they re-rate their players handicaps for their own tournaments but leave whatever it is for team play so they have an advantage. It's sad and at this point SCGA doesn't seem to want to manage the damn thing. They now just let teams form their own groupings and we get stuck playing crappy courses. Years ago the draw was you got to go around to different courses. If you don't play for one of the privates you get screwed. There is my Team Play rant, just too many baggers and the players who do it have no shame and think it is funny.

Anyhow, good luck in team play and against Meadowlark, you need to crush at your home course!!

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

What club?

Sorry, just saw this reply. Industry Hills.

Good luck in Team Play, I know a few guys on your team, Like Fulligar and Killeen. I have played in the the Brae a bunch of times as well. Ed was trying to get me to join Industry for a while it is just tough for me to play Thursday with work. I heard they no longer have the Industry Hills Championship since Mike moved to the Desert?

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

What club?

Sorry, just saw this reply. Industry Hills.

Good luck in Team Play, I know a few guys on your team, Like Fulligar and Killeen. I have played in the the Brae a bunch of times as well. Ed was trying to get me to join Industry for a while it is just tough for me to play Thursday with work. I heard they no longer have the Industry Hills Championship since Mike moved to the Desert?

Yes. Course management didn't support it well, just like they don't support the men's club. A lot of old time members have left. This is my last go around.

I can't explain how shocked I am that this is net. We have a fraction of the golfers here in MI and field straight up match play teams. Good luck to all you guys in the playoffs!
we have gross team play also.

I can't explain how shocked I am that this is net. We have a fraction of the golfers here in MI and field straight up match play teams. Good luck to all you guys in the playoffs!

Yes, was about to post this. Sad thing is the Net Team Play is WAYYYYYYYY more serious than Scratch League it pretty much every club. The bagging is ridiculous.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Ahhh, makes sense then. Those net matches are probably nuts.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

One of the best for me was a guy from Saturday at a public track with no regulation as mentioned above.. I was a +2 playing a 5, giving 7 shots and the guy shot -1 gross.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I'll tell you something crazier than that. The SCGA has a net best ball championship that is open to affiliate clubs as well, which are traveling clubs that don't have a home course. That is a SERIOUS sandbagging festival. You have to remember that with the 6-7 million golfers here in SoCal you scratch players make up no more than 1% of it. They have to have tournaments for the masses as well. The problem is they just don't police the sandbagging. The insist on leaving it up to the clubs, which in some cases, is the fox-guarding-the-henhouse approach. I will say I have played in some of the SCGA's gross competitions ad for all the problems with their net events, the do an excellent job administering the gross ones.

One of the best for me was a guy from Saturday at a public track with no regulation as mentioned above.. I was a +2 playing a 5, giving 7 shots and the guy shot -1 gross.

So he could possibly have beaten a mid-level LPGA player. Maybe that the answer to how it could happen...sand bagging on the index.

Obee, nice work. The SCGA league page actually shows you shot a 65. To shoot that low on the road in a playoff match is incredibly clutch.

Regarding Meadowlark, I'm not sure if it's an issue of sandbagging or simply a poorly rated course. All of the par 3's are tough. Holes 2 and 8 are both 250 yard par 4's, but aren't really "gettable" due to hazards bordering the green and/or positioning of the tee boxes. Hole 12 is one of the toughest muni greens in So Cal.

A guy who shoots 78-80 there consistently is a solid golfer, and yet would be rated around a 10-11 index. I'm guessing that if I played most of my golf at Meadowlark, my handicap would go up a few strokes.

Maybe some of these guys are sandbaggers to boot (I have always suspected that a lot of match play veterans carefully "manage" their handicaps), but I think the course has a role in that as well. At any rate, good luck to Bear Creek and Obee. It would be nice to see the defending champs get the boot.

Obee, nice work. The SCGA league page actually shows you shot a 65. To shoot that low on the road in a playoff match is incredibly clutch.

Regarding Meadowlark, I'm not sure if it's an issue of sandbagging or simply a poorly rated course. All of the par 3's are tough. Holes 2 and 8 are both 250 yard par 4's, but aren't really "gettable" due to hazards bordering the green and/or positioning of the tee boxes. Hole 12 is one of the toughest muni greens in So Cal.

A guy who shoots 78-80 there consistently is a solid golfer, and yet would be rated around a 10-11 index. I'm guessing that if I played most of my golf at Meadowlark, my handicap would go up a few strokes.

Maybe some of these guys are sandbaggers to boot (I have always suspected that a lot of match play veterans carefully "manage" their handicaps), but I think the course has a role in that as well. At any rate, good luck to Bear Creek and Obee. It would be nice to see the defending champs get the boot.

I was 5-under with 2 to go. They gave me birdies on the last two holes! LOL. DORKS!!