MEMBER REVIEWS: The BIG TaylorMade TP5 / TP5x ball testing thread

HipCheck

Posted this elsewhere so if redundant for some please bear with me. Had a short 10 hole stint with the TP5 and will update next week.

Feel is ++++

Driver distance vs B330 2016 version a toss up. The TP5 has a softer feel off the face but keeps up without any problems . A slightly higher ball flight than the Bridgestone.

Irons provided a noticeable difference The carry of the TM was about 5 yds further from the 3 iron thru the 8 iron. Was in a 15 MPH wind and it had little effect on the ball. There was no problem with flighting the ball down when needed. The greens had just been sanded but most shots had about 2 ft of release.

Wedges only hit full shots since the greens were in less than great shape again good ball flight and stopping power.

Did not chip or putt because of greens. Scheduled to play towards the end of next week and will follow up with better details.

Normally the B330 or the Snell MBT as usual golf balls so will have a better comparison when not rushed for time on the course. From initial use like the TP 5 better than TPX and Penta 5. The ball seems to fit in the middle as far as firmness . Swing Speed 102 to 107 with driver.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious isn't the benefit to this ball to be better through wind ?

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

Was able to get out and play the TP5X today on mu home course. I normally play the ProV1x. I had a 2 club wind today (3 club on gusts) to test it against.

Off the Tee

Until my new Epic arrives I am hitting 3 wood and 2 hybrid off the tee. I didn't notice any distance gains or losses against my current gamer. It does seem to cut into the wind quite nice though. Didn't seem I had those really big spinners into the wind. That alone should make me like the ball.

Long Irons

I was consistently about a club longer than my usual 4-6 irons. Against the wind shots were very good. Spin off the long irons hitting the greens were less than my gamer. They were releasing about 10 feet against the wind. My usual long irons stick with little roll, or spin back. This is just going to take some getting used to.

Short irons

Didn't notice much difference here. I seemed to be about a 1/2 club longer in the 7-9 iron range.

Pitches and Chips

Here I did notice a fairly significant difference to me. I don't get nearly as much check-up as I do with the ProV1x. This is a significant area for me. If I was to game this ball I need a lot of practice to get the feel for it. My normal 30 yard low pitches would 1 hop and stop with the ProV1x. With the TP5x I was getting about 5 feet of roll out after the second hop. Out of the bunker I noticed rollout compared to what I am used to.

Putting

The ball didn't seem to feel as soft to me off of the putter face. It's certainly not a significant difference.

Also wanted to mention that the wear on the ball is about the same as the ProV.

Overall I am still on the fence about changing or not. I still have 10 of the 12 balls left. 1 hit the cart path which ended the life of that one. I also chunked one into the water on the last hole. Still plenty left to test. Finding a calmer day would for sure get a good taste of the ball for me.

@ Bryan what year B330 were you playing that it was the hardest? I'm getting ready to compare the new B330 and tp5x

The current B330. I still have a couple left and was throwin' them down tonight and hitting shots up against the TP5X, along with the Pro V1X. God, they're all just great balls. I notice the TP5X going the same off the wedges but higher on full swings. I hit a low, flighted 80 yard PW today that impressed me as the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do so to say it just "goes higher" would be misleading. It's on the full swings that I see it launching higher.

I wanted to add a little video to the mix after playing 18 holes with the ball to show off durability. You can see that HERE! No cart paths or tree smacks. Just 18 holes of play, including a nice flop shot eagle! (Had to throw that in as it was my only highlight of the day! LOL!)

Also, on the wind front, today it was 20-30mph winds and can honestly say, aside from some hooks caused by user error, this ball truly holds its line. I hit a drive that never wavered on 18 that went right at my target the entire time, all while the wind was blowing 20mph dead right. I was impressed.

[url="http://www.instagram.com/bryangolf"]Follow me on Instagram -->[/url] [url="http://www.instagram.com/bryangolf"]@bryangolf[/url]

TaylorMade M2 9.5* w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade M2 18* w/Graphite Design AD-DI 8X[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PXG 0311 54[/font][/color]* [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]w/DGTI S400[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade Spider Tour Red[/font][/color]

One round in the books today. Didn't have my best stuff, but some observations are below.

Little about me:

• 39 years old, above average athleticism
  • 7.9 index, swing speed ~105 give or take a couple depending on the day with the driver
  • For a year or so now, normal ball is a B330s

Notes (played 1 ball the entire round):

1. I felt like I got that magical distance boost with the driver. My buddy that normally outdrives me by 10-20 yards today was sitting even with me all day, and I even clipped him a couple times. This was huuuuuge.
  2. Irons, I did not notice a big jump, maybe a couple yards at most. Felt really good, solid hits felt superb.
  3. Did not stop as dramatically as the B330s with low irons as I'd expect (I've had times where I've pulled an 8i back hard) - ball would come to a rest maybe a foot past the ball mark. Which was just fine by me, I like that predictability.
  4. Felt just like I'd expect off the putter, decent amount of feel. Not clicky or mushy
  5. Lot of wind in spots today and I felt like it did NOT perform as well as the B330s. Tended to flare more when hitting into the wind, I quickly learned to club up and knock it down with this ball. I did NOT have my best iron game today so that could have been it.
  6. Good control around the greens with wedges, at least as good as the B330s
  7. Missed a ton of greens so I got to hit a variety of wedge shots. I felt control was pretty good, could check it or run it - but in spots it checked a bit more than I would have expected
  8. Ball did not get damaged hardly at all (1 ball for the round), I hit a ton of full wedges and a couple times I opened way up and hit ginormous flops over bunkers, and had a couple bunker shots. Just tiny little scuffs, nothing to worry about - ball is good for next round easily.

Overall IMO an incredibly solid ball, the only downside being I feel like it's not as penetrating into the wind as I'd like (will need to test it more in this scenario to make sure it wasn't just me). That distance gain though with the driver felt absurd at times - I'm going to have to validate that with a few more rounds against the same guy.

The price point is going to be huge for me - if I can find it at a reasonable cost I'd switch.

Two thumbs up to TM for giving away 100 dozen to test!

Great reviews guys, I look forward to reading more!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

My initial impression of the TP5X is that the ball felt softer than expected and performed very well in the wind. Played with winds between 10-20 mph today and was able to notice a few of the benefits. Personally, I have never been a fan of the ProV1 series as I felt the ball was too hard and spun too much for me so I typically play the Titleist Velocity or Nike RZN Platinum.

Off the tee, it did seem to launch higher than the Velocity with similar distance.

I noticed the best performance on iron shots. The TP5X flew longer and felt softer on with my Irons. Shots that I felt I didn't quite catch completely were going the same distance as the Velocity and well struck shots went further than usual.

Pitch and chip shots were a little harder to judge as I played on greens that were very firm.

The TP5X was impressive for the first try and will be tested again in a few days.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 Driver.
TaylorMade RBZ Tour TP 3 Wood.
Nike VRS 2 Hybrid.
Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons, 4-PW.
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 50, 54, 58.
Odyssey V-line 90 Putter.

About me:

Handicap: 13

Driver Swing Speed: Not entirely sure but probably around 98-100

Short game is my achilles heel

I tend to play whatever I can get my hands on for a deal but have been partial to the Chromesoft (2016), RZN Platinum and ZStar.

Review:

I played this weekend in a some wind and played the front nine with a KSig and the Back with the TP5 (regular).

Off the driver they seemed to have similar launches but was definitely a touch longer. Its hard to say how much longer but maybe 5-10 yards in general. I didn't notice any difference in iron length but iron trajectory was higher and I love the feel. Not as soft as a Chromesoft but very very pleasant. The course I played at has rock hard greens that are very hard to hold and I was holding greens much much better with the TP5. Not entirely sure if thats a function of spin or descent angle or both. I was equally dreadful with chipping as the KSig so I have no opinion to share on that.

The feel off the putter is very nice as well. It felt right in between a previous generation Zstar and the Chromesoft. I putted around at home with a bunch of different balls and these are probably my favorite for feel. I plan on doing a front/back with the previous generation ZStar, RZN Plat and 2016 CS but so far definitely prefer the TP5 to the KSig.

So I got the TP5 out for my weekend rounds.

A little about me - I am generally a sprayer off the tee, but have gotten much better over the last few years. Current handicap is 7.6 index, which has dropped from 10.4 on Jan 1, but I played in the 8-9 neighborhood over the last year.

I hit high iron shots w lots of spin, and I can get my 8 iron to spin back if the greens are soft.

Driver speed is around 100-105 mph, depending on how warm I am. Driver distance is usually 255 carry with little roll, due to the fact that I hit a high ball.

I am a little iffy around the greens, but my bunker play is pretty good, and I am not so good at the two hop and stop shots, so I generally play for roll out.

I have played 48 holes with one ball (lost my first one on the 5th hole, have played the second since). Durability - it is a little scuffed, but no significant blemishes. I took photos, but cannot figure out how to get them into this thread via tapatalk, so I will have future photos re:cover beating which I took after 40 holes (and a few visits into the desert, at least 10 sand shots, but no trees).

Conditions have been windy, which is not unusual for this time of year, but the velocity has been greater - 20-25 mph on Fri, a little less on Sat, but the usual 5-10 on Sunday. Temp in the mid 60's each day.

Driver - The feel of this ball off the driver reminds me of the B330rx. Not surprising, certainly. A well struck shot feels just great. Only issue I had w driver is the same I have with other balls - it seems to ride the L->R wind pretty good (but I chalk that up to my swing). Distance is on par with most other balls - I cannot tell whether I gain a few yards or not. My tee shots seemed to land in the expected areas, but I did have a few exceptions which I will attribute to wind. I can move the ball both ways off the tee, and only lost a couple of tee shots (all pulls) but the ball was not at fault, and I could find it pretty easily, in the expected areas where I am with other balls.

Hybrid - this ball seems to launch pretty high, both w tee and off the turf. Great feel and no issues w unwanted movement.

Irons - I feel this ball holds its line on well struck iron shots very well. I played a number of shots expecting the ball to move, but ended up in bunkers as often as not, due to the straight line the ball held. I really like the approach spin - even with mid irons, the ball did not roll out very much, and downwind I was able to keep the ball pretty close to its ball mark w wedges. I can spin the ball back pretty good, but this ball seemed to want to roll out or stay pretty still - I only had one ball roll back any significant distance (greater than 4 feet), most shots rolled out a bit (between 3 and 10 feet) from the ball mark.

Greenside - I think this ball behaves like many other balls around the green. It spun well out of the bunker, it rolled out well on chips, very predictable. No issues whatsoever. I imagine that, if I could hit the two hop stop shots, it would be fine. I really like the feel around the green and never felt the ball jumped or behaved unpredictably on any shot. I knew what I wanted the ball to do, and it performed very well for my expectations.

Putter - I really like the feel of this ball off putter. It doesn't have either the soft or firm feel that other balls have (ChromeSoft or ProV1x), and I putted very well for me with this ball. I had 3 birdies in each of the last two rounds (which is a lot for me) and drained a few long putts (20-25 ft). Different putters, too. So I like putting w this ball.

Overall, after three rounds w this ball (minus one hole), I have full confidence in its performance for my game. It performs best for me on approach shots and with putter.

Taylormade TP5 Testing!

So I am about to leave for the airport for a weekend trip and what shows up at my door? A box from Fed Ex with the Tmade logo on it! I just want to say thank you to Golf WRX and Taylormade for this awesome testing thread and hooking us up with a fun way to participate in the release of new product.

About my game:

I am a casual golfer obsessed with the equipment and technology golf continues to introduce. I shoot in the mid to low 80s consistently, my game has improved with significant practice over the past 6 months since moving to warmer weather. I get to actually practice with free time, and my goal this summer is to break 80 consistently. I'm looking to improve my short game right now big time.

Clubs:

RBZ 10.5

M2 3HL

UDI 3 iron

RSI tour 4-9

EF wedges 47,50,56,60

Spider black, Odyssey 9 ProType milled

(Gaming spider for the last 2 months, Odyssey is old faithful and may hop back in the bag at some point, it tends to get hot)

Current ball is the Nike RZN Black, has been since it came out. I don't mind the former feel due to the fact that it holds lines off the tee for me. I can shape both ways and know how it is going to react. I flight my irons somewhat high as well, and the trajectory of the RZN has really worked for me.

Now onto the TP5- I got out to the prac fac today, will be able play a round within the next couple days!

First impressions:

-The packaging is sweet

-Soft feeling cover to touch

-Lots of feel, noticeable from the first carpet roll (spider black insert was made for this ball, feels great off the milled face as well)

Putting:

After rolling a couple on the carpet Friday, I got to roll on the greens and chip for a couple hours today. I was incredibly impressed with the overall feel of the ball. It feels like butter off the putter face. The spider black insert with the Nike ball was a tough switch for me, hence keeping the odyssey around. The spider Nike combo felt somewhat clicky, and came off the putter face a bit hot for me. I was missing a lot of puts long, however do keep in mind I have only been using the spider a couple months. After hitting the green with the TP5, that may not be the case and I'm excited to see how it performs on course.

Chipping:

This is where the ball really impresses me so far. I was moving around for a solid hour hitting my different shots, and the feel off the face compared to the Nike is WAY softer. The Nike spins well, however with the TP5 I could get a bit more aggressive with my chips and still stop the ball in plenty of time. You can really hear a satisfying thump when the ball lands and spins. I was really happy with the feel and I'm hoping the ball may end up helping my short game on the course. Time will tell!

I will update this once I get on the course in the next couple days after work! I should also be able to get on the monitor within the next week or so when visiting a friend, so I can get some real time numbers! Thanks again Tmade and WRX!

Posted this elsewhere so if redundant for some please bear with me. Had a short 10 hole stint with the TP5 and will update next week.

Feel is ++++

Driver distance vs B330 2016 version a toss up. The TP5 has a softer feel off the face but keeps up without any problems . A slightly higher ball flight than the Bridgestone.

Irons provided a noticeable difference The carry of the TM was about 5 yds further from the 3 iron thru the 8 iron. Was in a 15 MPH wind and it had little effect on the ball. There was no problem with flighting the ball down when needed. The greens had just been sanded but most shots had about 2 ft of release.

Wedges only hit full shots since the greens were in less than great shape again good ball flight and stopping power.

Did not chip or putt because of greens. Scheduled to play towards the end of next week and will follow up with better details.

Normally the B330 or the Snell MBT as usual golf balls so will have a better comparison when not rushed for time on the course. From initial use like the TP 5 better than TPX and Penta 5. The ball seems to fit in the middle as far as firmness . Swing Speed 102 to 107 with driver.

Second go round with TP5 substantiated initial thoughts.

Wedge play 75yd and less one or 2 small bounces and just rolls to a stop. A bit more stopping distance on chips than B 330s or MTB about the same with the B330 non S version.

Putting give a medium soft feel. Just a slight click

Distance gain on irons is real.

Where this ball definitely gets an A+ is wind. This ball does not take a back seat to any other competitor in that department that I have tried.. Even into a 17 to 21 MPH wind the driver only seemed to lose 5 to 7 yds on a well struck shot. Even with a heavy crosswind at my back the balls wanted to hold it's line.

TM definitely has a winner with this model.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Hi All,

I was fortunate to be one of the recipients of the dozen golf balls from Taylor Made to test out. Here is my initial review as I only had time for a short session in the indoor studio today, more to follow when I get some on course testing.

Handicap: No official one as I am a PGA Member. Typically shoot from 68-76 really depends on the day and if I am able to get some practice in.

Driver SS: 110-115 (working on some things so it fluctuates a bit)

7 iron SS: 90-93

Typically a higher spin/high launch player so the TP5x was a better fit for my game

Initial impressions:

After hitting the ball a bit at the PGA show I was impressed with the feel of it. Solid and a touch softer than I was expecting. Ball appeared to be launching higher for me.

In studio testing numbers 7 iron:

TP5x

SS: 88.1 avg.

Launch: 19.5

Carry: 168.7

Smash: 1.395

BS: 121.4

Spin: 6450

Height: 110

Dispersion: 6 feet left of center

Tour Preferred X

SS: 87.5 avg.

Launch: 19.3

Carry: 169.5

Smash: 1.40

BS: 122.5

Spin: 6650

Height: 111

Dispersion: 21 feet left of center

As you can see from my session this morning that the numbers were pretty similar with both balls, only difference being a touch lower spin and better dispersion with the TP5X.

I am going to continue to add to this post as I get some practice time in with the balls. Overall I am very impressed with the feel and performance of the golf ball relative to some of the others that we hit in the studio. I will be conducting a ball to ball test with the TP5x versus some of the other current model balls. Will report back with findings once I am able to get this accomplished.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I received mine on Friday night and was not expecting them that quick as I got the email on Thursday.

I played Sunday morning and the wind was 25-30mph so I got a good feel for how these balls play in the wind. I didn't have the best ball striking round but I did hit a few shots that really allowed me to see how these would re-act.

I was a little nervous about these after the chipping green as they didn't seem to bite on short pitches and chip shots (the greens are fast and firm where I play), but I did love the feel off the putter. Initial chips and putting on carpet I liked the feel more than the b330 I have been playing and they seemed to land softer than the b330 on the carpet as well, it is tough to gauge them on the carpet and such short shots but that was the initial impression.

1st hole 300 yards down wind and 200 to the ditch, I usually hit driver up by the green or layup with a 6 iron and have 95ish in. I hit 7 iron today that reached the ditch and that surprised me a little bit as I have never reached it with the 6 before, first hole so I am not sure if that is a fluke or not.

2nd hold I had 107 into a 25mph head wind. I hit my stock sand wedge (112 full shot) and absolutely flew the green long, it wasn't thinned or anything like that but the ball just got through the wind, better than any ball I had seen before.

4th hole I had 99 down wind and tried to take a little off a lob wedge (97 full shot) and the ball flighted out a little lower, landed just past pin high and stopped on the 2nd bounce.

7th hole 130 par 3 straight cross wind from left to right, I almost always go long with a Pw so I always use the 50 and if I come up touch short you are putting/chipping up the hill so it is a better choice. Tried to carve one in to the right pin and missed it off the green right and pin high. Usually a 125 club for me.

13th hole, 137 par 3 and flighted down a little 9 iron into a slight crosswind and hurting and again the ball went about 8 yards longer than the bridgestone so I am long off the back.

18th hole 285 par 4, water all left and 1 fairway to the right, (you have to hit the worst shot ever to lose a ball right), into a 30mph head wind. Group ahead is on the green so we figure we can hit into this wind it shouldn't be a problem, my ball hit their cart on the first bounce, I was completely shocked as I expected to be 40 yards short of the green with that wind. Now I can normally get up by the green or on it without wind and a good shot but this was crazy to get their on that day. Guys I play with every week were 40 behind me and normally the same distance when we all hit it good.

As I talked with the guys after the round everyone kind of pointed out one thing (and this was my biggest take away from the ball) is how great it is in the wind. It bores into a head wind better than anything else I have played before. The tpx from last year is not even close in my opinion of how good this ball was in the wind. As far as distances I can't be sure if the ball is longer, shorter, or the same on an average day but in the wind it is definitely longer for me.

Chipping and pitching: I had a much different opinion after the round than I did before the round about this. I have been struggling with this area for a couple weeks until Friday last week when I realized I was yipping at the ball and almost stopping completely at impact (amazing what 30 balls, a wedge and 6 or 7 beers can do). Into the wind on even short chips the ball just lands dead and stops where it hit. Cross winds and down wind the ball reacted almost identical to the b330 for me.

I asked my buddy what he thought (very high spin player, steep AoA, who hits it so low you have to duck if it he hits and you are infront of him) what he thought (he is a prov1 only guy) and he liked it but it did not grab for him on short pitches, kinda as expected I thought.

Feel: I personally like the feel, it is a little firmer than most tour balls as this model should be but I like that. Helps to have buttery soft irons and smooth shafts so to me it felt great.

I usually play Sunday/Monday/Friday as all winter long here has been in the 80's in the afternoon and 65 in the morning but we adopted a puppy after the round Sunday so I didn't play Monday but will be back on the course Friday to test them some more.

Final thought today is the durability. They are exceptional, now I am not a guy who tears the cover off the ball with wedges and can usually get 15 holes out of a ball no problem but these are remarkable so far. Again it is one round but take a look at the picture below: This one ball was used on 18 holes and there is ONE mark on it. It is shocking as bad as I played that I didn't lose a ball as this course is very tight with a lot of trouble but some days are like that.

Any questions ask away. Will be adding more after the round is played on Friday and Sunday.

Hello everyone,

I was sent a dozen of TP5x. Super excited to type this up to hopefully help those out trying to find a ball for them :).

A little about me. Mid HC that seems to be on the right track to trending downward haha. swing speed for driver is around 95-100 (so not wrx speed). 7 Iron is my 160 club. Cannot recall how I answered in the questionnaire, but i guess they thought the x was a good one haha. I currently play the ChromeSoft. Was finally able to get out and play a round with this ball last night. On a course that I play a lot at so very familiar with my landing areas and what not. PLayed nine with a couple of balls, then 18 with just the TP5x.

TeeBox:

Off the driver, the TP5x feels really nice. First thing I noticed was the flight. I hit a pured driver shot (for once haha), and the ball flight was perfect. It was a mid flight that seemed very piercing. I hit my chromesoft and chromesoft x which weren't hit quite as well but decent. THe tp5x was way out in front. probably due to quality of strike, but I will say that on that par 5, I had only ever gotten to that point (200 from the green) once or twice before and those were with some wind. During the full round with the TP5x, I came to the same par 5 and hit a ball to about the same spot. No where near as good of a hit. There was also another drive that I hit a very low/healy and it was in my normal landing spot.... hmmm pretty nice there haha. It was consistently a bit ahead the ChromeSoft and ChromeSoftX.

Irons:

Some here are seeing a bigger distance gain in the irons. I was not seeing a huge gain yesterday. A few yards maybe. THe biggest thing I saw was spin. Again flight was lovely. a higher flight, but never seemed to balloon (was not a lot of wind though so time will tell). With the added height and decent spin on it (without TM or FS I can't say it was spinning higher or not than normal), I was noticing a lot of shots backing up. I don't normally back shots up, but a lot of of my mid and low iron shots were, even with the CS and CSx so take that for what it is worth. Feel was great as well. Long irons, were a lower flight, but really checked up nicely. Same with 3 wood. Had one get on the green on a par 5 that hit and stopped within 10 feet of the pitch mark.

Wedges & Putter:

Wedge play was awesome. I had great control of the ball and it checked nicely. Very Prov like (better than prov 1x). The putter was a nice click. not super mushy as I feel the CS can feel like. I am more partial to the CSx as I play more with it and I think the TP5x will get involved as well.

I played the best round in a long time last night. Shot an 81 with a ton of confidence that I was getting from the ball. I am pretty giddy with it and hope to see more from it.

I know this isn't too in depth right now, but I need more rounds with it. I will say, that the feeling is great and I really love the flight I am getting compared to the CS and CSx. I will post more as I play. Thanks again Golf Wrx and Tmade.

Forever Changing at this point.......

While I'm not part of this testing - was able to hit apples/apples in a blind test the TP5x and 2017 ProV1 on Trackman Sunday (no logos, just sharpie'd numbers on the balls), with a stock stiff, 2017 M1 5i. Over a span of 30 swings:

I averaged 141.2 ball speed with the ProV1

I averaged 145.7 ball speed with the TP5x

I averaged roughly 200-300rpms less with the TP5x (both the TP5x and the ProV1 were giving me optimal spin numbers, at a minimum -- some were above optimal; specifically carry yardages)

I averaged less than half a degree higher launch with the TP5x

Average smash factor was relative, but the TP5x edged the ProV1 by .04 overall (1.39 and 1.43 respectively)

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Recently hundreds of GolfWRX members applied to test new TaylorMade TP5 / TP5x golf balls. We were happy to include 100 members in this round of testing!

Members will not receive a PM, but rather an email from "[email protected]" indicating they were selected.

If you received a package in the mail already, congrats! Test away and add your reviews below.

We appreciate everyone who applied.

Thanks!

I received an email a few days ago but have not received the balls yet.....

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

While I'm not part of this testing - was able to hit apples/apples in a blind test the TP5x and 2017 ProV1 on Trackman Sunday (no logos, just sharpie'd numbers on the balls), with a stock stiff, 2017 M1 5i. Over a span of 30 swings:

I averaged 141.2 ball speed with the ProV1

I averaged 145.7 ball speed with the TP5x

I averaged roughly 200-300rpms less with the TP5x (both the TP5x and the ProV1 were giving me optimal spin numbers, at a minimum -- some were above optimal; specifically carry yardages)

I averaged less than half a degree higher launch with the TP5x

Average smash factor was relative, but the TP5x edged the ProV1 by .04 overall (1.39 and 1.43 respectively)

Interested to see those numbers again with either the TP5x v ProV1x or the TP5 v ProV1 when I tested on the simulator I got very similar results from the TP5 and Pro V1 and it has stood up to that as I just finished playing a scramble today where we had 3 guys so I was using ProV1 and TP5 when it was my chance to hit 2 shots. Many times whether good or bad the balls ended up with in a few yards of each other which I found pretty funny considering how nerdy I think on the spin and launch numbers of tech and balls hahah.

Recently hundreds of GolfWRX members applied to test new TaylorMade TP5 / TP5x golf balls. We were happy to include 100 members in this round of testing!

Members will not receive a PM, but rather an email from "[email protected]" indicating they were selected.

If you received a package in the mail already, congrats! Test away and add your reviews below.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I live within 15 minutes of Taylormade's headquarters...

Taylormade M1 440, Fujikura Atmos TS Black 70 TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade M2 Tour T3 12*, Atmos TS Black 80TX Tipped 1.75"
Taylormade P7-TW 3-PW, DG TI X100
Vokey SM7 56.14F / 60.12D, DG S400
Byron Morgan 615

Thanks!

Balls ship from GA I think, or somewhere in the S.E.. CA is probably the longest shipping time. Mine were delayed 1 day and arrived today. Im guessing you CA guys will have yours tomorrow?

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Update on TP5 -

I have played the same ball for 66 holes and it looks a little beat up, but certainly not unplayable in my opinion. I will add photos to the post when I get back to the course, as I left the ball in my bag.

Thoughts - I did not have the best ball striking day, but with less wind over the last two rounds, I have a better feel for the ball.

1) It has nice roll out on approach shots. I have only spun three iron shots back, two of which landed on a false front, two were with my gap wedge (which tends to spin back more often than any of my other clubs). I did have a few balls roll out a little further today than they had in the past - a 180 yd uphill 5i rolled from the middle of the green to the back fringe. A 6i rolled out about 20 feet. A downwind hybrid rolled out 51 paces (hit the front of the green, ended up just short of the back apron).

2) I still cannot get the hop and stop action that I like and can sometimes see w ProV1x. I generally play for greenside chip roll out, so not a big deal, but a few times I left myself short sided and the ball ran by the flag a little more than expected (2-3 yards).

3) Love the feel and sound w putter! It is a really nice ball to putt with.

4) Distance is on par with, or a little longer than, my usual ball distances. I would need to play this ball during the summer months to really know what the distance differences are, but for my winter/cool weather game, distances are solid.

5) Durability is really good. The ball, after 66 holes, including multiple sand shots (4 yesterday, 3 today) and visits to the desert (at least 6 shots out of the desert today alone), has no major holes, cuts, or gashes. A few scuffs, maybe one wedge shred, but I will try to get a pic tomorrow and put it in the post.

UPDATE W PHOTOS

Thanks!

Balls ship from GA I think, or somewhere in the S.E.. CA is probably the longest shipping time. Mine were delayed 1 day and arrived today. Im guessing you CA guys will have yours tomorrow?

Hope so but I already bought a dozen last week when they were released.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I received my balls on Friday and have been itching to get out to the course. I finally got the chance to escape for a quick testing today only to find the greens at my club had been punched. Bummer.

All that to say, I did get to walk around the course and hit a lot of drivers, irons, and wedges. My review for the time being will be based on feel and distance.

About me...

I am a +1.1 right now and typically play the ProV1x. Driver swing speed is around 115, give or take a few. I carry a 6 iron around 195 if all goes well.

On the first hole today I was playing into about a 15mph north wind. First, I hit the ProV1x and it rolled out to about 280. I then hit the TP5x and it rolled out to about 295. I was sold. Put all of my ProV1x stock on BST and was all in on the new TP5x.

On the second hole, I hit a four iron with each ball and then ended up about 5 yards from each other with the ProV1x edging out the TP5x by a yard. No real difference in flight. Maybe a little softer feel from the TP5x. Hit a couple 9 irons into the green, and again, no real difference.

On the third hole, I hit a driver with each ball into the same north wind with the edge going to the ProV1x by about 15 yards (the ProV1x was hammered). I proceeded to close my BST ad.

The general feel of the TP5x is softer. Softer off the putter face, and a little softer off the driver and irons as well.

After playing 9 holes with the two balls without chipping and putting I didn't really notice any major difference with the two balls. One shot would favor the ProV1x by a couple yards and the next would favor the TP5x by a couple of yards. The performance was great and I would have no issue playing either ball. It did seem like the TP5x kept its color and original look longer during the 9 holes. No real durability issues with either.

I will get out and play more with them once my greens heal up for a more in depth review. We will see at that time how the TP5x (and I) hold up in a good money game with my normal group.

Looking forward to getting back out with them!!!

1000C796-B173-45F7-80DB-C684B6DCF105_zpsnkzcjzwa.jpg

C288E8FD-E132-47BC-AC78-3644A65088FB_zpscbkyd0sm.jpg

93E8B031-CAA1-40C2-975C-BFB3D7AB6843_zps12wkwl1d.jpg

0ED44405-1599-4D59-B743-127C1BBE9BED_zpsdbrnnzst.jpg

Tee minus 2 days till official testing. Thursday morning 7:30 tee time. Ya Buddy!!!!

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Recived my TP5x last week and today I had my first chance to use the balls, albeit short game only. Currently I play the B330 and have been happy overall with the B330.

Look:

This is important to me. In my opinion, nothing will look as good as a Titleist. The script and color are perfect. I'm not sure if patents keep other companies from using their color, but it suits my eye the best.

Feel:

To me, the ball felt very similar to the B330 off of the putter and pitch shots. It's a nice feel, a little firmer than a ProV1x, but still soft and what you would expect from a premium ball.

Performance:

Again, very similar the the B330. Plenty of spin aorund the greens, there is no shot I don't feel confident in pulling off. Probably not quicte as much spin as the TP5 or B330s, but enough to get it done.

I will update on full shots when I get a chance to compare. Thanks to GolfWRX and TaylorMade!

Love reading all of the different experiences. It's so crazy how different we all are. For me to think the TP5X is softer than B330 and Pro V1X, and then some other testers putting them in a different order, it's just funny how our thoughts on feel and sound differ.

Also, interesting to see how some find added yardage in different places. Love this thread!

BTW...just bought 3 TaylorMade Inergels off eBay the other night! I have a Firesole driver that I'm gonna pair up with it to do then ultimate 1999 vs 2017 test!

Inergel/Firesole VS TP5X/M2 :superman2:

[url="http://www.instagram.com/bryangolf"]Follow me on Instagram -->[/url] [url="http://www.instagram.com/bryangolf"]@bryangolf[/url]

TaylorMade M2 9.5* w/Project X HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade M2 18* w/Graphite Design AD-DI 8X[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade UDI 3 Iron w/Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade P770 4 Iron, P750 5-PW w/True Temper DGTI X100[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PXG 0311 54[/font][/color]* [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]w/DGTI S400[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]​Titleist Vokey SM6 60* M Grind w/DGTI S400[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade Spider Tour Red[/font][/color]