2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger Woods greatest shot of all time

Smash Factors

BSC, do you have a youtube of Mcelvur's top WRX posts about Tiger?

(sorry , throwback site reference, you had to be here)

he is missed.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSC, do you have a youtube of Mcelvur's top WRX posts about Tiger?

(sorry , throwback site reference, you had to be here)

Forget about mculver.

What about TDO?

He called the whole thing!

Ahhh, what can you do. At least the torch has been passed to the new generation...

https://mobile.twitter.com/mshamburger1/status/838502974863323136

If youre in the mood to watch the

Best golf you will ever see.

Pour yourself a brandy (it will go well with the music), turn up the volume, and cast this on your tv.

The end is superb ; )

Awesome! Thanks for posting. I'm ready to go play golf now!

BTW, the 60 yard slice 3 wood he hit about halfway through that video was my favorite shot he ever hit. I remember watching that live, seeing where he was aiming with his foot line, and calling my wife in from the other room to watch. We both lost it when he stuck it close.

You think about it: at various times in his career, Tiger has been considered the best driver of the golf ball (early under Harmon), best FW player (same), best iron player (Haney), and best putter (pre-accident). The genius of his play gets somewhat lost in all of the recent issues he has had with injuries and the like. We tend to forget how truly amazing he was with a golf club in his hand. He was simply better than his competition at pretty much every aspect of the game.

Gosh it's so easy to forget how baggy golf clothes were all the way back in that era.

As a 235 pound former catcher who is built like Shrek, I miss the wide selection of clothing with a more "generous" fit.

A sign of a real man is being able to fill one of those pre-Adidas purchase, 100% cotton Ashworth shirts out!! You don't want to mess with a man whose arms could stretch those shirt sleeves!

epic shot and a major he let get away. That couldve easily been 15, YE Yang episode 16 and shouldve run down Michale Campbell at Pinehurst 17 and just for fun he let a few slip away post scandal on the weekend 18, 19. This all just off top of my head, probably others that in a perfect world get him to 20 even with the scandal and injuries.

Some of those are very generous gives and not considering the ones he won that he could have lost - Rocco Mediate, Bob May, Chris DiMarco could have easily gone the other way. Tiger wasn't even second that often comparing to Nicklaus, think of all the extra majors that Nicklaus could have won.

And then there's Mickelson. If we're giving majors to him that he could/should have won then Tiger might be looking over his shoulder for most majors in his generation.

Pour yourself a brandy (it will go well with the music), turn up the volume, and cast this on your tv.

[media=]

[/media]

The end is superb ; )

Purely epic stuff, historic and heroic. Dude was, is and will always be golf. No one has ever played the game better. Bone chilling bad a** on the course. He cut your heart out and handed it back to you in the palm of his hand with eyes of steel. Todays erratic, soft, whiny, multi millionaire kids who are just as likely to miss a cut as contend would need to change their underwear 10 times if they were paired with prime Tiger.

What am I reading here?

epic shot and a major he let get away. That couldve easily been 15, YE Yang episode 16 and shouldve run down Michale Campbell at Pinehurst 17 and just for fun he let a few slip away post scandal on the weekend 18, 19. This all just off top of my head, probably others that in a perfect world get him to 20 even with the scandal and injuries.

A little revisionist though with all due respect. He could have also had as little as 10 though. He didnt let it get away Beem took it away from him. Yang took it away from him. Look at the smirk on tigers face after yang makes birdie on 18 right in his face. He has that you mother f***er look!

at 9:55 of the video

https://www.youtube....h?v=yk6dQCa9Oyk

Or how about the one that was given to him by a cheating fan during the Bob May playoff? Tiger coulda shoulda woulda won plenty more, but could easily have won less. I'd say all things considered 14 was about right on the money.

Gosh it's so easy to forget how baggy golf clothes were all the way back in that era.

As a 235 pound former catcher who is built like Shrek, I miss the wide selection of clothing with a more "generous" fit.

A sign of a real man is being able to fill one of those pre-Adidas purchase, 100% cotton Ashworth shirts out!! You don't want to mess with a man whose arms could stretch those shirt sleeves!

Ha. I was a skinny kid who couldn't fill out those old school shirts. Now I'm middle aged (man that hurts just typing that) with the customary spread who stretches out the new shirts in all the wrong places. Life always seems back to front.

The end is superb ; )

Watching this clip would put poor old Rocco into therapy. So many miraculous breaks went tigers way in that Open. Rocco got Greg Normans entire career in one tournament.

A little revisionist though with all due respect. He could have also had as little as 10 though. He didnt let it get away Beem took it away from him. Yang took it away from him. Look at the smirk on tigers face after yang makes birdie on 18 right in his face. He has that you mother f***er look!

at 9:55 of the video

https://www.youtube....h?v=yk6dQCa9Oyk

Or how about the one that was given to him by a cheating fan during the Bob May playoff? Tiger coulda shoulda woulda won plenty more, but could easily have won less. I'd say all things considered 14 was about right on the money.

I'm biased since it was at a Canadian Tournament but his shot out of the bunker on 18 at Glen Abbey was just as ridiculous. It was over water!!!!!

I agree! That was a bunker shot!

That shot and others on the video show that Tiger was far more than a short game, as some seem to think. His short game highlight reel is so incredible sometimes his long game is overlooked. Tiger had the most clutch short the game has game ever seen, but he also hit some of the most incredible long shots I have seen in my 40 years of watching golf.

The fairway bunker shot at the Canadian Open and the chip in at the World Cup when he was paired with DD are the two that I always remember. That 6 iron was absolutely obscene. He hit it 217 yards out of a bunker. If DJ did that today we would be thinking that it was a crazy distance to hit a 6 iron but 17 years ago, the guy back then was super human.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

@0.45 Who was the playing partner 15-20 yards past Tiger off the tee? ☺

I knew some wise @ss would say that.

Oh, how ya doin, AJ?

; )

Think that was Monty. Heard he has that ball mounted and hanging up over the table in his breakfast nook ; )

Haha!

I'm very well Bsc thanks, looking forward to visiting the good ol USA for some golf in Florida. Hope life is treating you well.

I was looking up some old Tiger stats and his strokes gained on approach in 2006 was quite frankly ludicrous at around 2.5 shots per round!

Still, I'd put Rory's 3 wood on 16 at the K Club or Jason Day's 2 iron at Baltusrol up there with those great Tiger shots.

What makes that 3iron most special is that there are probably only a handful of players in history who:

a.) have the physical tools to execute the shot

b.) who have the balls in that moment to go for that shot

Flop shots, chip-ins, and clutch putting are cool but they are something that virtually all TOUR players / high-level amateurs are capable of doing.

The 3-iron was epic.

Shot of MacAllan 25 prior to hooking up with Buffy the Perkins waitress.. Oh wait not that kind of shot

Tiger is too cheap to drink Macallan 25....but good one!

What makes that 3iron most special is that there are probably only a handful of players in history who:

a.) have the physical tools to execute the shot

b.) who have the balls in that moment to go for that shot

Flop shots, chip-ins, and clutch putting are cool but they are something that virtually all TOUR players / high-level amateurs are capable of doing.

The 3-iron was epic.

Absolutely.

My personal favorite, at Stanford, just screwing around practice round, no tournament. Fairway bunker shot (again!),little bit blind, steps into bunker, gets set, rips the perfect shot, and starts to walk backwards in bunker while staring down the ball flight to the cup. He stepped backwards to get completely out of the bunker, never looked down, watched the ball stop a few feet from the hole.

Not a big deal to most who know Tiger's greatest hits, but the impressive part was he walked backwards out of the bunker without looking away from the ball and had stepped in the exact same footprints in the sand he made going in. Weird...

Filthiest, IMO, was the draw/hook on #9 at Augusta in 2010:

You can't really see it in the video, but that ball hooked like a boomerang.

Very hard to argue, even seeing it so many times I still can't fathom that shot. To hook it that far and keep it under trees that low, if I didn't see it I would say impossible.

What about this 2i slice from 265?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRc_lECmc2Q

The fairway bunker shot at the Canadian Open and the chip in at the World Cup when he was paired with DD are the two that I always remember. That 6 iron was absolutely obscene. He hit it 217 yards out of a bunker. If DJ did that today we would be thinking that it was a crazy distance to hit a 6 iron but 17 years ago, the guy back then was super human.

It was a great shot under pressure but at the same time also overrated. I used to think he took the 6 iron because he had lip trouble and hit the shot extra hard. But if you watch the shot from the blimp you can see that the lip wasn't really in play and it went a ridiculous distance because it was strongly downwind (watch the flagstick).

(blimp shot at 5.34).

Again not to say it wasn't a great shot (clearly it was) but it was also a stock 6 iron for him in those conditions.