2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

ANA rules issue (Merged)

Man_O_War

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but i would like the rule to be re-written as such: if a player was told of a rules infraction AFTER the signing of a scorecard which he/she wasn't aware of at the time of signing, he/she should be allowed to edit that particular scorecard and re-sign without penalty.

That brings in the question of "why bother", but if you have to be "by the book", this may be a good compromise.

I don't know... 2 days later and I'm still pissed off. Same way I felt after the men's US Open AND the Women's US Open last year.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can mark the ball with anything you wish - even a half-dead 10 lb catfish that is still flipping around and placed 10 feet away from where the golf ball is lifted. The important part is replacing the golf ball in the exact spot from where it was lifted. The problem is defining the word 'exact' - because it is practically impossible to insure that a golf ball can be replaced exactly where it was lifted. So, then the issue becomes - How close to the spot is close enough? And, how far away from the spot is too far away? Is ½ inch too much for a 75 foot double-breaker two-level putt when it is pouring down rain and the wind is gusting 35 mph on a 40° day when it is already past sunset?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Now that it's tax season, how many of you declared and paid your state sales tax on everything you bought on the Internet. Not aware of it, you say. Too bad, you broke the law anyway. Want to file an amended return, you say. No problem, the IRS will allow that. But not the LPGA.

(Note: I'm no tax expert, only trying to illustrate a point.)

the point is, this is not the IRS. It is not the NFL, the NBA, MLB or the National Quilting Society. Every sport has different rules and the Rules of Golf have been around longer than all of them. So let the straw man go.

Phil has an opinion like everyone else. He doesn't write the book though.

And the book isn't infallible as some want to treat it as sacrament.

Nothing is. Thems the rules though. If they don't like it they should maybe find another line of work

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

You can mark the ball with anything you wish - even a half-dead 10 lb catfish that is still flipping around and placed 10 feet away from where the golf ball is lifted. The important part is replacing the golf ball in the exact spot from where it was lifted. The problem is defining the word 'exact' - because it is practically impossible to insure that a golf ball can be replaced exactly where it was lifted. So, then the issue becomes - How close to the spot is close enough? And, how far away from the spot is too far away? Is ½ inch too much for a 75 foot double-breaker two-level putt when it is pouring down rain and the wind is gusting 35 mph on a 40° day when it is already past sunset?

Thats why I said they should define it in terms of the diameter of the ball. Give them a half-ball radius from where the ball was on the green. It wouldn't affect the line of putts except < 1 footers which are tap-ins anyway. Also, it will be easier to keep them accountable by having a specific measurement on course to determine if a violation happened.

Would be interesting if this happened to a player that isnt a fan favorite and american. I think alot of people would have said " hey she didnt follow the rules, she deserved it".

Give it up, I already tried that. Everyone insists that the reaction would exactly the same if this had happened to Lexi Thompson or if it had happened to Hyo Joo Kim.

Now that it's tax season, how many of you declared and paid your state sales tax on everything you bought on the Internet. Not aware of it, you say. Too bad, you broke the law anyway. Want to file an amended return, you say. No problem, the IRS will allow that. But not the LPGA.

the point is, this is not the IRS. It is not the NFL, the NBA, MLB or the National Quilting Society. Every sport has different rules and the Rules of Golf have been around longer than all of them. So let the straw man go.

Tell Vijay Singh that his lawsuit against the PGA is not valid in which he claims that he was treated differently than other golfers who also admitted to using deer antler spray... The PGA will pay dearly for that little snafu-bugaboo! Probably to the tune of around $100 million...

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Come on whr! Dramatic?? What about the heat and the kitchen buddy?!? You know there is no proof that it was intentional. There is no proof needed. It's a rule and she got caught braking it and paid the price. She is the only one that knows if it was intentional. It is only my opinion that she did it intentionally. I think she knows how to mark a ball properly and she chose to mark it for her advantage. Just like Phil said multiple pros do.

I'm in the kitchen bro, looks like you left. IMO, if you don't have proof, don't accuse someone of cheating.

Phil has an opinion like everyone else. He doesn't write the book though.

And the book isn't infallible as some want to treat it as sacrament.

Nothing is. Thems the rules though. If they don't like it they should maybe find another line of work

Nah the rules aren't bigger than the game. The usga needs golf more than golf needs the usga. No need to find another line of work just bifurcate.

You've just completed the circular argument.

No, I addressed a specific question. You asked by how much she was off the mark.

And I don't agree with the 2 stroke penalty for the score card. If rules are about promoting a fair game, integrity, and level playing field, then that's an inappropriate way to exercise that rule (and what it's really meant for.)

And without that two stroke penalty for the score card, this is an entirely different situation and discussion.

Unfortunately, when you review the situation, she missed the Mark by quite a bit. Other pros saying they do it too doesn't change that. It originally be noticed by a person on a couch doesn't change that. Nor does her intention.

Likewise, neither does you or anyone else declaring how much she missed to be not that much. It was enough to be noticed, and upon review deemed worth a penalty.

20-1/20 Player Places Ball-Marker Approximately Two Inches Behind Ball

Q.A player consistently places his ball-marker approximately two inches behind the ball on the green. He says that he does so to ensure that he does not accidentally move the ball. Does such a procedure comply with the Rules?

A.No. A player who places a ball-marker two inches behind his ball cannot be considered to have marked the position of the ball with sufficient accuracy. Accordingly, each time he does so, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke, as provided in Rule 20-1, and must place the ball as near as possible to the spot from which it was lifted (Rule 20-3c).

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The question is - just how exact do you have to be in replacing the ball? Is 1mm worthy of a penalty? how about .5mm?

Using high definition cameras, you can clearly see that the ball was not replaced exactly. We all have seen people intentionally eke out an inch or two. But, she was bent over from he waist and re-positioning the logo. It doesn't look intentional to me. Maybe everyone who plays golf should take an extra 5 seconds on every putt and make sure they replace exactly to the millimeter. Since my public course rounds are already over 5 hours, what's another 12 minutes or so.

What happened to trying to make the rules easier and speed up the game?

The new rules don't take effect until 2019.

The problem is defining the word 'exact' - because it is practically impossible to insure that a golf ball can be replaced exactly where it was lifted. So, then the issue becomes - How close to the spot is close enough?

The book sets sort of a high bar for rigor when it comes to defining things, but I think this is sort of ridiculous and becomes more of a game as opposed to a logical argument.

(Not to single you out, it's been mentioned one way or another all over the place for days)

I'm no golf pro, certainly not a rules official, but I feel like anyone who's played golf at least a handful of times understands what is meant by replacing the ball exactly. Suggesting otherwise, especially when it comes to pros, seems, like I said, more like a game than a valid point.

Have you ever walked up to your marker and been confused about what would pass as acceptable for replacing the ball? Even after standing for a few minutes waiting your turn? Cause she replaced it immediately.

Have you ever placed the ball, only to watch it roll slightly after you released it, and not thought "well, that's not the right spot"?

It's pretty easy to tell what passes as the 'exact' spot and what doesn't.

Q.A player consistently places his ball-marker approximately two inches behind the ball on the green. He says that he does so to ensure that he does not accidentally move the ball. Does such a procedure comply with the Rules?

A.No. A player who places a ball-marker two inches behind his ball cannot be considered to have marked the position of the ball with sufficient accuracy. Accordingly, each time he does so, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke, as provided in Rule 20-1, and must place the ball as near as possible to the spot from which it was lifted (Rule 20-3c).

I did not know there was a limit of how far behind the ball the marker can be placed, and that 2" is too far behind the ball. Is 1¾" too far? How about 1½"? Maybe 1¼"? How about 1"? Where in the rules is it stated just exactly how far is correct?

The Rule 20-1 uses the word 'immediately' behind the ball. What is the USGA's definition of the word 'immediately'? In my world the word 'immediately' is a period of time, not a distance...

Come on whr! Dramatic?? What about the heat and the kitchen buddy?!? You know there is no proof that it was intentional. There is no proof needed. It's a rule and she got caught braking it and paid the price. She is the only one that knows if it was intentional. It is only my opinion that she did it intentionally. I think she knows how to mark a ball properly and she chose to mark it for her advantage. Just like Phil said multiple pros do.

I'm in the kitchen bro, looks like you left. IMO, if you don't have proof, don't accuse someone of cheating.

Oh god you again. Why do you care if I think she cheated?. I've repeated over and over again that it is my opinion. It is becoming the opinion of a lot more people. If she did not do it intentionally she probably has some sort of motor skill issue and needs to get that checked out. How miserable are you? Are you afraid that your wife is going to find your stiff sock and crusty Lexi golf digest cover while you are slumping over it in tears because some big bad internet man called her a cheater. You are better than this man.

I did not know there was a limit, and 2" was too far behind the ball. The Rule 20-1 uses the word 'immediately' behind the ball. What is the USGA's definition of the word 'immediately'? In my world the word 'immediately' is a period of time, not a distance...

How close? Close enough so you can reasonably replace it. It's really not rocket science, and nobody expects anyone to get it back using a microscope.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Bottom line is an issue like this needs to become a MAJOR topic of the R & A, USGA, PGA, LPGA and both senior PGA/LPGA Tours. There needs to be scrutiny to the home viewer calling/emailing in a infraction possibility. Either the players must do better work as to abide by the Rules of Golf or there needs to be plenty of rules officials present at every single professional event to catch all violations with LOTS of monitors running 24 hours a day during said events. This is ridiculous. Phill Michelson said it very well yesterday, there are guys on tour who consistently replace their ball on the green gaining an advantage all the time. Better path to the hole etc.. Unfortunately integrity is the biggest issue in question here. Who has it and abides by Every Rule of Golf? Do I think Lexi Thompson cheated? No. Did she replace her ball incorrectly? Yes. The Rules are the Rules, live by them or find another profession.

No, I addressed a specific question. You asked by how much she was off the mark.

And I don't agree with the 2 stroke penalty for the score card. If rules are about promoting a fair game, integrity, and level playing field, then that's an inappropriate way to exercise that rule (and what it's really meant for.)

And without that two stroke penalty for the score card, this is an entirely different situation and discussion.

Unfortunately, when you review the situation, she missed the Mark by quite a bit. Other pros saying they do it too doesn't change that. It originally be noticed by a person on a couch doesn't change that. Nor does her intention.

Likewise, neither does you or anyone else declaring how much she missed to be not that much. It was enough to be noticed, and upon review deemed worth a penalty.

THANK YOU for putting this into words. I could not quite figure out how. People know what is right and wrong! Wanting to define exact is a cop out.

Would have, Could have, Should have...

It's over and done with.

LPGA followed the rules. I think we need to focus more on correcting the rules instead of what they should have done.

We learned from Phil that players cheat all the time and got away with it. Does that make it right to ignore it?

Would be interesting if this happened to a player that isnt a fan favorite and american. I think alot of people would have said " hey she didnt follow the rules, she deserved it".

Give it up, I already tried that. Everyone insists that the reaction would exactly the same if this had happened to Lexi Thompson or if it had happened to Hyo Joo Kim.

I think the reaction would be pretty much the same if had happened to anyone in that circumstance, i.e. leading the tournament on the last day etc etc. Remember how many people felt the 14 year old Asian player in the Masters who was docked for slow play was docked because they could get away with it. In that case many felt he was unfairly treated simply because he wasn't a big name.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I did not know there was a limit of how far behind the ball the marker can be placed, and that 2" is too far behind the ball. Is 1¾" too far? How about 1½"? Maybe 1¼"? How about 1"? Where in the rules is it stated just exactly how far is correct?

The Rule 20-1 uses the word 'immediately' behind the ball. What is the USGA's definition of the word 'immediately'? In my world the word 'immediately' is a period of time, not a distance...

There are a lot of things you don't know apparently, like the word immediately. It can not only reference time but also space.

Vijay Singh suit has no relevance whatsoever to the point you listed it in.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

There are a lot of things you don't know apparently, like the word immediately. It can not only reference time but also space.

Just one more click on the link he kindly posted for us.

immediately

[ih-mee-dee-it-lee]

Spell Syllables

• Synonyms
  • Examples
  • Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

adverb

without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once:

Please telephone him immediately.

with no object or space intervening.

closely:

immediately in the vicinity.

without intervening medium or agent; concerning or affecting directly.

conjunction

Chiefly British. the moment that; as soon as.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Just one more click on the link he kindly posted for us.

immediately

[ih-mee-dee-it-lee]

Spell Syllables

• Synonyms
  • Examples
  • Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

adverb

without lapse of time; without delay; instantly; at once:

Please telephone him immediately.

with no object or space intervening.

closely:

immediately in the vicinity.

without intervening medium or agent; concerning or affecting directly.

conjunction

Chiefly British. the moment that; as soon as.

That's funny. He posted a link to the definition and then still got it wrong. You just can't make some of this stuff up! Lol

Actually, you said she didn't come even remotely close to the spot, so I asked exactly how much she missed it by, and you said, by enough to be noticed. But you did not quantify how much that amount was, which is what I was asking. If she had put the ball in her pocket, walked away, let others putt, and then put the ball where she put it, nobody would have noticed anything, because it really wasn't very far away at all. Only a super nit-picky rules geek would take issue.

If she had really been "not remotely close" then everyone would be wondering why Lexi was such an idiot cheating on a 12" putt. But that's not the case.

As mentioned before, "exactly" in the same spot is an impossibility. So it really does become an issue of "how much" and what was to be gained. I think you don't want to quantify the actual distance she missed "exact" by is because you know it will just make the whole thing obviously silly.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Oh god you again. Why do you care if I think she cheated?. I've repeated over and over again that it is my opinion. It is becoming the opinion of a lot more people. If she did not do it intentionally she probably has some sort of motor skill issue and needs to get that checked out. How miserable are you? Are you afraid that your wife is going to find your stiff sock and crusty Lexi golf digest cover while you are slumping over it in tears because some big bad internet man called her a cheater. You are better than this man.

Who exactly? You sound like the person who says, "let's go streaking, everyones doing it!" Only to find no one came with you 300 yards down the block.

If Lexi did cheat, as you have repeatedly said, then she's one hell of an actress, given her response to the ruling and post tournament tears/remarks that were incredibly classy.

In fairness, when the Rules of Golf were written, I doubt that they took into consideration that somebody 100 years from now might be calling in a day late to report a violation that nobody else saw. The governing bodies have come to the conclusion that many of their rules are in need of revision and they intend to do so in 2019. This is another one they should look at.

If they really want the ball replaced exactly where it was, then invent a universal ball mark that frames the golf ball on both sides (u shaped) and make everybody use it. This is 2 women's majors and 1 men's major in the last 2 years that have been marred by Rules infractions that border on ridiculous. The Game of Golf deserves better than to have their Championships decided by people who can't hit the ball out of their shadow but can decide based on an HD camera in slow motion that it was you that caused your ball to move on a hill with 14 stimp greens and it wasn't the wind or the slope.... just because you were the last one seen near it before it moved. Well... at least they were 51% sure it was you.

What I find somewhat perplexing in all this is the fact that neither her playing partner and/or caddie, never saw anything. From a personal observation, any competition, golf wise, that I've been in, I always paid attention to what the players in my group were doing. After all, we're playing for something other than grins and giggles and the pro's are playing for serious money. What transpired with Lexi was a farce and the LPGA totally over reached. The amount of condemning comments from both everyday golfers and pro's alike, seem to attest to this. I fully realize that a game/competition must have rules in order to be equitable to all involved, but every other sport on the planet has official monitors during playing. Golf also has monitors, being those that play with you and even if it's a game of individual integrity, you still are being observed. To have an outside agency intervene well after the fact is asinine. No other sport allows this and neither should golf. The only reason it's happening is because of modern technology and IMO, that technology has overstepped it's purpose. Unless every golfer is under the same scrutiny, the field is not protected and it then becomes what's known as selective enforcement and obviously unfair.

I totally agree....!!

Her playing partner was watching..... this mis marking/replacing did not cause her playing partner concern. It was observed, judged by a competitor, and didn't require any further action.

And if an official was with the group then that person should have been watching as well. If they thought the awkward display of replacing the ball caused some concern they should have said something right then so it could be reviewed prior to signing the card.

Putting it back in the same spot when you are trying to IS technically impossible, but it's gonna be real close if you are TRYING. Missing that spot by the diameter of the coin is not trying to put it in the same spot. If any one actually has trouble putting it on the correct side of the coin when they are trying to do it, they've got problems beyond playing honorable golf.

It's not like she put it back on the correct side and it kept rolling to the wrong side of the coin. She put it back on the wrong side and it stopped dead just as you would expect. And then she played it.

Who exactly? You sound like the person who says, "let's go streaking, everyones doing it!" Only to find no one came with you 300 yards down the block.

If Lexi did cheat, as you have repeatedly said, then she's one hell of an actress, given her response to the ruling and post tournament tears/remarks that were incredibly classy.

She cheated moron. What the hell!?! Are you watching old school and trying to come up with one liners to dog me? You are so damn obnoxious. She is crying because she got caught! Phil knows it, Jack knows it. You are the only idiot that does not. Argue with somebody else about it, my opinion is not gonna change. Let me out of your weird, self pitying, late 90's movie watching, grandpa joke making, hot kitchen. Freak