2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ANA rules issue (Merged)

Man_O_War

Uh-ho!

The LPGA is accessing Suzann Pettersen a 1 stroke penalty under Rule 16.1d for 'Testing the Surface of the Green' as reported by a viewer the day following Sunday's final round. Also, Pettersen will be accessed a 2 stroke penalty under Rule 6-6d for 'Returning an Incorrect Scorecard' in Sunday's round due to the Rule 16.1d infraction. A total of 3 strokes will be added to Pettersen's previously recorded 4-day T3 total of 13 under par 275. Pettersen's new total is 10 under par 278, which is a T6 finish with Cristie Kerr.

636267712258571755-ana-inspiration-sunday-6.jpg

Is this real??

No, no it is not real? But it just goes to show how stupid this whole thing is with penalties being called in by viewers the following day. Could someone at home challenge the LPGA to give Suzann Pettersen a 1 stroke penalty under Rule 16.1d for 'Testing the Surface of the Green' PLUS a 2 stroke penalty for returning an incorrect scorecard? Don't say no! The way the LPGA handled Lexi's penalties - it could absolutely happen... And that is just not right!

You've lost the single crumb of credibilty which some may have gifted you with. How about bowing out and slinking off to some thread about what kind of underpants Ricky Fowler wears.

I don't pay any attention to backward-thinking people from the boondocks.

I do.

Max Ehrmann says it well:

. . . and listen to others,

even the dull and the ignorant;

they too have their story.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do.

I'm starting to think that people should be required to pass a rules test before they are allowed to watch golf on television.

I do.

I'm starting to think that people should be required to pass a rules test before they are allowed to watch golf on television.

It better be an easy test. Open book for starters.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I do.

Azinger's broadcasting career is over then.

I do.

It better be an easy test. Open book for starters.

Even the PGA of Americas rules test is open book. Lol.

Has anyone actually given a reasonable explanation as to what Lexi was doing if she wasn't trying to improve her position by marking her ball?

She doesn't clean it, wasn't behind it to adjust any alignment marking, or anything - literally she just picked it up an inch off the ground, moved it over, and put it back down.

The "nobody puts it back exactly where they pick it up" theory doesn't hold much weight if the person marking their ball literally doesn't do anything other than move it to the side.

LOL yeah I mean Crossfield basically shut the door on this with his six year old able to mark it run around the flag and then put it down in line. If Lexi can laser a 250 yard 3 wood on a par 5 approach, she can mark the ball properly.

Phil's statement that many pro's do it is truer than people want to admit. I'm guessing it's always been a grey area that people tolerated, and the viewer brought it to the forefront. Maybe it's a good thing but for most players it really doesn't change a thing. For amateurs for example, if there is a spike mark in your line, do you move the ball over slightly? I don't do it cuz I feel like the mark is pretty minor, or else pitch marks I can repair. But if other people moved it an inch to avoid an imperfection on the green, I'm pretty OK with it. I think imperfections on the greens should exist, and if you can avoid them then do it. I don't like people moving the ball closer though as it's just an effort to make the same putt closer. But for pro's though, I'm not sure what the call should be.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Has anyone actually given a reasonable explanation as to what Lexi was doing if she wasn't trying to improve her position by marking her ball?

She doesn't clean it, wasn't behind it to adjust any alignment marking, or anything - literally she just picked it up an inch off the ground, moved it over, and put it back down.

The "nobody puts it back exactly where they pick it up" theory doesn't hold much weight if the person marking their ball literally doesn't do anything other than move it to the side.

Lexi appeared to roll the ball in her fingers in an attempt to align the mark on the ball toward the hole when she replaced it. I presume she has such a habit of aligning the mark on the ball that she felt compelled to do it even on that flat, straight-in 18" putt. Once she replaced the ball (though it was off the exact spot a bit) she took no time to easily make the putt dead-center in the hole.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Lexi appeared to roll the ball in her fingers in an attempt to align the mark on the ball toward the hole when she replaced it. I presume she has such a habit of aligning the mark on the ball that she felt compelled to do it even on that flat, straight-in 18" putt. Once she replaced the ball (though it was off the exact spot a bit) she took no time to make the putt.

It appeared to me that she didn't like the way the ball was sitting or something was near her ball that she didn't like. She made a mistake, there are consequences for mistakes. At the highest level, consequences are the harshest.

Lexi appeared to roll the ball in her fingers in an attempt to align the mark on the ball toward the hole when she replaced it. I presume she has such a habit of aligning the mark on the ball that she felt compelled to do it even on that flat, straight-in 18" putt. Once she replaced the ball (though it was off the exact spot a bit) she took no time to make the putt.

It appeared to me that she didn't like the way the ball was sitting or something was near her ball that she didn't like. She made a mistake, there are consequences for mistakes. At the highest level, consequences are the harshest.

True. But, like Phil Mickelson and Jack Nicklaus - giving a 2 stroke penalty for returning an incorrect scorecard was not fair. And, allowing a viewer to contest a player's play was not fair. And, to issue the penalty a day after the infraction was not fair.

I think Lexi made a mistake. I think it was totally innocent and unintentional with nothing to be gained since it was a flat, straight-in 18" putt, which was quickly and easily made with no problem. I think (at worse) Lexis should be given a 2 stroke penalty, but 'only' if it was given the same day as the infraction occurred and 'only' if the infraction was discovered by competitors or officials at the tournament. I am totally against viewers contesting a player's play.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

True. But, like Phil Mickelson and Jack Nicklaus - giving a 2 stroke penalty for returning an incorrect scorecard was not fair. And, allowing a viewer to contest a player's play was not fair. And, to issue the penalty a day after the infraction was not fair.

I think Lexi made a mistake. I think it was totally innocent and unintentional with nothing to be gained since it was a flat, straight-in 18" putt, which was quickly and easily made with no problem. I think (at worse) Lexis should be given a 2 stroke penalty, but 'only' if it was given the same day as the infraction occurred and 'only' if the infraction was discovered by competitors or officials at the tournament. I am totally against viewers contesting a player's play.

Who cares that she made the putt? I don't understand how anyone can say it was unintentional - she literally just picked the ball up an inch and moved it over. So she didn't mean to do that?

People are defending her like she's their first born.

These pros can hear a cricket fart 700 feet away while they're teeing off, and suddenly they innocently don't know how to mark a ball anymore. GTI. Gym, Tanning, I'm Not Buying It.

That said, the 4 strokes is stupid because I don't think people should be able to delay calling a penalty on someone else and adding 2 strokes to it. It was right in that it was the letter of the law, but that needs to be changed. It leaves open the potential for people to notice mistakes and just put off notifying someone to add 2 additional strokes in the middle of a round.

Who cares that she made the putt? I don't understand how anyone can say it was unintentional - she literally just picked the ball up an inch and moved it over. So she didn't mean to do that?

These pros can hear a cricket fart 700 feet away while they're teeing off, and suddenly they innocently don't know how to mark a ball anymore. GTI. Gym, Tanning, I'm Not Buying It.

That said, the 4 strokes is stupid because I don't think people should be able to delay calling a penalty on someone else and adding 2 strokes to it. It was right in that it was the letter of the law, but that needs to be changed. It leaves open the potential for people to notice mistakes and just put off notifying someone to add 2 additional strokes in the middle of a round.

You can't prove it was intentional either.

Regardless, it's still a 2 stroke penalty. The scorecard penalty was a joke.

Total speculation on your part. If the ball is in a depression, it will deviate more on a short putt than a longer one, with a low putter speed. Plenty of pros have missed em. Stadlers was closer than that in the Ryder cup.

Whilst I agree it probably should have to be decided by the time the card is signed, I have no problem with viewers ringing in at all. It's obvious now, sadly, that it's a professional sport where the result and the payday is everything and honour means nothing.

I go to the Open every year, and it's incredible how meticulous these guys are about every detail. Every. Single. Player. Makes it very hard to believe someone could be so sloppy in their marking by accident.

Probably should have to call it in before the end of the round though.

What a player might learn from this: in the future, for a 12 inch putt, mark ball, put in pocket. Let others putt out. Then replace the ball and finish.

Screw pace of play and all of that. Once the ball is in the pocket for a few minutes, nobody is going to notice a .5" movement.

Problem solved.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Didn't they say it was called in that day but it took them until the next day to review it? I'm sure they get a bunch of drunk chucklefarts calling in stupid stuff all day long.

Using a camera to assess a penalty is dumb unless you're going to have a camera on every player for every shot. The DJ "grain of sand" penalty was dumb and the Lexi ball marking penalty was dumb.

Didn't they say it was called in that day but it took them until the next day to review it? I'm sure they get a bunch of drunk chucklefarts calling in stupid stuff all day long.

Using a camera to assess a penalty is dumb unless you're going to have a camera on every player for every shot. The DJ "grain of sand" penalty was dumb and the Lexi ball marking penalty was dumb.

No idea. But it's obvious from this that certain players do, indeed, need a camera on them at all times. Sad.

No idea. But it's obvious from this that certain players do, indeed, need a camera on them at all times. Sad.

lol. SAD!

Maybe put a GoPro on the brim of every player's cap or visor. Pretty hard to mark & replace your ball if you're not looking at it. It could also help grow the game among coal miners.

As I recall they said on air that is was called in/emailed on Sunday when her group was on the 7th hole. They notified her on 12 when they were done looking at it and making a decision.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Here's the best thing about all of this.

This was such a blatant act of cheating by Lexi that it takes a zoomed in, slow version video of it in order to detect it. Think about that.

She should be banned. Utter disgraceful from a so called athlete. Disgraceful

Suzanne Petersen? Is that u?

I wonder if he called for Tigers ban for cheating and andmitting to it at the Masters.

Based on the user name I think not.

Here's the best thing about all of this.

This was such a blatant act of cheating by Lexi that it takes a zoomed in, slow version video of it in order to detect it. Think about that.

and 2 other players 3 caddies and the rest of the free world missed it while watching live... and oh yea a walking ref and whomever kept her score ( peterson maybe) signed it as correct .... F-me ...man such huge huge event...lol but wait.. if we hit enhance 12 times, change the lighting and mark the ball with a 4 pixel blue blurb and play it back slowly , the blue blurb isnt in the right place.. GTFO.... some of us play golf and strike a ball ...and some of us worship the rule book...

And with snowflakes like you we should allow any cheating because they're only cheating themselves.

Phil and Brandel suck if they didn't act when seeing other players replace their ball in a better position.

I like the fact that players can be busted by armchair referees since the players allow too much leniency.

Ian Baker Finch has remarked several times how players help each other by not marking their ball near the hole when the other player is still playing from off the green and the unmarked ball becomes a potential backstop. I've noticed this for nearly 20 years now.

When polling caddies on tour there has always been 50%+ admission of witnessing their player cheat in the previous year.

I think the fact that a player could be a camera now at any time(cell phone videos) should lower this number, but players policing themselves in a manner like Jack talked about(very low key) is most important. Along with disqualifications when deemed necessary.

Jack also said when the round is over that it should be done. No revisions. Great cherry picking there. Snowflake. Please. Yellow snow maybe.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 3 weeks later...