Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

4 hours ago, Olde Maroon said:

Hey, does anyone have an update on the renovations to the Woodlands course at Lawsonia? Also, did they do any work on the bunkers on the Links course? The bunkers are the only thing that really hold the Links course back at all. 

Thanks for any local info. 

I see that Woodlands tee times are available for May (Maybe earlier - I didn't check) but I didn't know the extent of the renovations. Always second fiddle to the Links, I'd like to know what their goals were and how it came out, too.

The bunkers on the Links are mostly flat-bottomed, as I recall, and don't seem to be too difficult to bring to a better standard. 

FYI, the Links greens are scheduled to be aerated on Mon., 5/17.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

I see that Woodlands tee times are available for May (Maybe earlier - I didn't check) but I didn't know the extent of the renovations. Always second fiddle to the Links, I'd like to know what their goals were and how it came out, too.

The bunkers on the Links are mostly flat-bottomed, as I recall, and don't seem to be too difficult to bring to a better standard. 

FYI, the Links greens are scheduled to be aerated on Mon., 5/17.

The reno was fairly extensive, and Josh told me he is really excited how it was going about a month ago. Here is what they describe as the scope of the work:

If you’ve played the Woodlands in the past, some improvements we think you’ll enjoy include:

• Rebuilt and redesigned bunkers on all 18 holes

• Rebuilt green surrounds on all 18 holes, adding expanded short grass areas

• Expansion of no. 2 green

• Restoration of "The Quarry" on no. 2

• Opened views to Green Lake on no. 3

• Rebuilt no. 3 tee complex

• Extensive tree clearing and trimming throughout the course

• Addition of improved drainage in slow-draining areas

• Fairway modifications on select holes

• New green on no. 18, with the original green serving as a fun "19th Hole"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ode said:

I thought they were filling in some/many of the day bunkers as well to make it more friendly off the tee?

Yes, that process began last season. Most of the fairway bunkers are now just grassy dips. I think overall they realized the tighter fairways plus tons of trees plus awkward fairway bunkers led to a less enjoyable experience. To say nothing for the general quality of the course when played alongside The Links. I'm really excited to see how it turns out. I just hope they dedicated some time to upgrading the Links bunkers as well, as they have been inconsistent at best, and downright disappointing at times. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Olde Maroon said:

Yes, that process began last season. Most of the fairway bunkers are now just grassy dips. I think overall they realized the tighter fairways plus tons of trees plus awkward fairway bunkers led to a less enjoyable experience. To say nothing for the general quality of the course when played alongside The Links. I'm really excited to see how it turns out. I just hope they dedicated some time to upgrading the Links bunkers as well, as they have been inconsistent at best, and downright disappointing at times. 

Agreed on all accounts.  Too much target golf off the tee box at The Woodlands.  Curious to see what 18 will be like with the new green....and will it still be a par 5?  

• Like 1

Played Petrifying Springs in Kenosha this morning.   I generally play out at Brighton Dale, but as a pass holder just makes sense to get out early during the week and was finished by 8:30am.  Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone who enjoys this course that it is in the best shape I have ever seen it in the 12 years or so of playing golf on the Kenosha County courses.   I believe they got a new super last year from one of the Kohler courses and they have that place whipped into shape.  It is not the longest course but the green complexes are something else and rolling smooth in my opinion. 

• Like 4

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

34 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

Played Petrifying Springs in Kenosha this morning.   I generally play out at Brighton Dale, but as a pass holder just makes sense to get out early during the week and was finished by 8:30am.  Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone who enjoys this course that it is in the best shape I have ever seen it in the 12 years or so of playing golf on the Kenosha County courses.   I believe they got a new super last year from one of the Kohler courses and they have that place whipped into shape.  It is not the longest course but the green complexes are something else and rolling smooth in my opinion. 

Thanks for the tip. I have never played Petrifying Springs, but it is on my list of courses to hit in 2021. I'm a fan of Brighton Dale, and usually play there a few times a year. For a busy course, I find the greens to be smooth and pretty consistent. Can't really ask for much more on a county course.

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

On 4/25/2021 at 11:31 AM, ode said:

Agreed on all accounts.  Too much target golf off the tee box at The Woodlands.  Curious to see what 18 will be like with the new green....and will it still be a par 5?  

Yup. Still will be a par 5 just much more reachable. They will be keeping the original 18th green and making a 19th hole around 60-70 yards for craps and gigs. Extremely excited to see the woodlands with the amount of greens removed in 4,9,10,11. The new logo looks sweet as well. 

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Whistling Straits is now allowing you to play the course without a caddie....early season rates are $220 until may 7th so not terrible if you were trying to knock it off the list  and not pay $500

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

3 hours ago, collje26 said:

Yup. Still will be a par 5 just much more reachable. They will be keeping the original 18th green and making a 19th hole around 60-70 yards for craps and gigs. Extremely excited to see the woodlands with the amount of greens removed in 4,9,10,11. The new logo looks sweet as well. 

Thanks for the info. I'm headed up there tomorrow for the weekend. I'm going to take a drive through the Woodlands to check out the new look. I'm really bummed it won't be open yet, but I'll just have to make another trip up to play it later this year. 

• Like 1

If anyone is looking to compete in some fun but competitive tournaments check out the new golf tour. Focused for the fox valley area but open to anyone. 

image.png

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 5/4/2021 at 7:49 AM, collje26 said:

If anyone is looking to compete in some fun but competitive tournaments check out the new golf tour. Focused for the fox valley area but open to anyone. 

image.png

Nice shooting.....assuming that's you in first.  Played Chasma for the first time late last year.  Enjoyed the back 9....front was ok.  Looked like they were renovating the bunkers on several holes.

10 hours ago, ode said:

Nice shooting.....assuming that's you in first.  Played Chasma for the first time late last year.  Enjoyed the back 9....front was ok.  Looked like they were renovating the bunkers on several holes.

You assumed right! Thanks, I played pretty well. The back 9 is a good test. Front 9 is ehhh. Seems like a lot of courses are renovating their bunkers in the area. 

• Like 2

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

On 5/6/2021 at 11:18 AM, ode said:

Played Broadlands, then Lac La Belle yesterday.  Amazing green complexes and fun layout at Lac La Belle.  Pic of #4 green:

IMG_20210505_124141883.jpg

How was lac la belle? I’m looking at playing there next weekend. Conditions? You’re own little review if you don’t mind? That picture looks fantastic 

2 hours ago, Lefty96 said:

How was lac la belle? I’m looking at playing there next weekend. Conditions? You’re own little review if you don’t mind? That picture looks fantastic 

I'm thinking of playing there on the way home from Sand Valley on the 20th. I'd love to see recent intel on conditions, etc. It would have been Lawsonia as the add-on course, no doubt, but they are punching greens that week.

Lac La Belle was a really good experience.  The green complexes are so good.  That pic of #4.....when I walked to the tee box it took me a bit to hit a shot.  Just sat there and admired.  I was not sure where the green started and ended.  It's all green.  That and #18 green are something to marvel at.  18 is some kind of finishing hole.  Even the greens that are kind of blah are really good.  You can use the contours and aim away from the hole and watch the ball work towards the hole.  Love greens like that.  They are young and still need some growing in, and are pretty slow.  Not a complaint, as it's too be expected.  Took a bit to get used to and forcing myself to hit it.  When those greens mature and speed up it's going to be magnificent.  A good mix of short, medium, and long par 4's.  Really enjoyed the short par 4's.  The par 3's are all really good.  IMO from the shorter hitters, playing 18 ,from the tips as a par 5 would be a super finishing hole and a real treat.  it's a test as a par 4.  It's uphill.  It was into the wind. The green ramps on all sides but the front.  It's attached to the putting green. Walking from the par 3 4th to the par 5 5th hole you can see it and I pointed it out to my buddy and said get ready for that.  I hit driver to the first cut on the right and had to hit a 2h with a nice amount of cut to the center of the green.  My best shot of the day.  Off the tee, the course allows for conservative play you won't need to hit driver on quite a few of the holes and some you won't be able to.  The bunker complexes are super, there are many of them.  My favorite holes were #2 a short par 4 that you could hit driver and try to bomb up by the green or draw between the left/center bunkers and right bunkers.  Their is a narrow fairway between them and the angle in is much easier.  Or play short of the bunkers and have a wedge in but a blind shot to green that slopes away and has false back so if you go to the back of the green it will run off.  #4.  See pic earlier.  You guys go experience it 😍. #5 I hit 3 wood, 3 wood, and was just short to a green that runs up hill to a hug ridge in the middle portion of the green.  Pin was left center and my buddy and I both used the ridge to funnel the ball to the hole.  I drained my birdie putt.  A short par 5 that you need to birdie.  That pin position is fun for a short approach and to try to use the contour of the green for a run up.  A runoff long will allow for reasonable up and down if you go long.  #9 a short par 4 up the hill to a green that shoots up in the air with a bunker of death (right of it).....don't go in it.  My buddy did and paid the price.  #10.  Hitting down the hill.  A dogleg right.  Green shapes left around to the right and is slightly above/uphill.  Pin was back right and I landed it just short of middle and it boomeranged to the back right.  Missed a 5 foot putt short.  Went driver 7i and was a my 2nd best shot of the day.  This green was apparent that you could use that slope with that pin position.  Not all the greens are that apparent until you walk up to them.  #16 is a really good par 5.  Bunkers on the left and a tree to the right of it that are carryable and if you do it's go time to the green that has a good ramp on the left and will kick/funnel to the right.  Ridge in the center will funnel ball to the right.  Pin was back/middle.  I carried the tree off the tee with a fade to the first cut, hit a 2h to the left side of the fairway and had a short pitch which I used that funnel left for a kick in bird.  Great hole.  The back 9 is pretty much ready and seems more mature then the front.  Some elevation change although not significant, its there and makes a difference and nice.  Some of the areas between the holes/long grass is not the most sightly as are the hazards/water, but nothing too off puting.  The clubhouse is really nice which the head pro, Clint, gave us a tour of.  Nice guy and like a mini museum.  Lots of history there!  Staff are super friendly.  The single who played through us at the Broadlands works there and let us know the greens were slower and noted we'd enjoy it.  He is 71 (per Clint) and carries his own bag.  He played through on #4 and was walking down 18 when my buddy and I were on 14.  That guy can hoof it.  When we finished (LL) we talked to another employee who talked to us for several minutes about the course and thanked us for coming out and was happy we enjoyed our time there.  Looking at the staff roster on the site that was the financial manger.  Good experience all around.

Edited by ode
Grammar
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, ode said:

Lac La Belle was a really good experience.  The green complexes are so good.  That pic of #4.....when I walked to the tee box it took me a bit to hit a shot.  Just sat there and admired.  I was not sure where the green started and ended.  It's all green.  That and #18 green are something to marvel at.  18 is some kind of finishing hole.  Even the greens that are kind of blah are really good.  You can use the contours and aim away from the hole and watch the ball work towards the hole.  Love greens like that.  They are young and still need some growing in, and are pretty slow.  Not a complaint, as it's too be expected.  Took a bit to get used to and forcing myself to hit it.  When those greens mature and speed up it's going to be magnificent.  A good mix of short, medium, and long par 4's.  Really enjoyed the short par 4's.  The par 3's are all really good.  IMO from the shorter hitters, playing 18 ,from the tips as a par 5 would be a super finishing hole and a real treat.  it's a test as a par 4.  It's uphill.  It was into the wind. The green ramps on all sides but the front.  It's attached to the putting green. Walking from the par 3 4th to the par 5 5th hole you can see it and I pointed it out to my buddy and said get ready for that.  I hit driver to the first cut on the right and had to hit a 2h with andwce.t amount of cut to the center of the green.  My best shot of the day.  Off the tee, the course allows for conservative play you won't need to hit driver on quite a few of the holes and some you won't be able to.  The bunker complexes are super, there are many of them.  My favorite hiles were #2 a short par 4 that you could hit driver and try to bomb up by the green or draw between the left/ce.ter bunkers and right bunkers.  Their is a narrow fairway between them and the angle in is much easier.  Or play short of the bunkers and have a wedge in but a blind shot to green that slopes away and has false back so if you go to the back of the green it will run off.  #4.  See pic earlier.  You guys go experience it 😍. #5 I hit 3 wood, 3 wood, and was just short to a green that runs up hill to a hug ridge in the middle portion of the green.  Pin was left center and my buddy and I both used the ridge to funnel the ball to the hole.  I drained my birdie putt.  A short par 5 that you need to birdie.  That pin position is.fun for a short approach and to try to use the contour if the green for a run up.  A runoff long will allow for reasonable up and down if you go long.  #9 a short par 4 up the hill to a green that shoots up in the air with a bunker if death right of it.....don't go in it.  My buddy did and paid the price.  #10.  Hitting down the hill.  A dogleg right.  Green shapes left around to the right.  Pin was back right and I landed it just short of middle and it boomeranged to the back right.  Missed a 5 foot putt short.  Went driver 7i and was a my 2nd best shot of the day.  This green was apparent that you could use that slope with that pin position.  Not all the greens are that apparent.  #16 is a really good par 5.  Bunkers on the left and a tree to the right of it that are carryable and if you do it's go time to the green that has a good ramp on the left and will kick/funnel to the right.  Ridge in the center will funnel ball to the right.  Pin was back/middle.  I carried the tree off the tee with a gas to the first cut, hit a 2h to the left side of the fairway and had a short pitch which I used that funnel left for a kick in bird.  Great hole.  The back 9 is pretty much ready and seems more mature then the front.  Some elevation change although not significant, its there and makes a.difference and nice.  Some of the areas between the holes/long grass is not the most sightly as are the hazards/water, but nothing too off puting.  The clubhouse is really nice which the head pro, Clint, gave us a tour of.  Nice guy and like a mini museum.  Lots of history there!  Staff are super friendly.  The single who played through us at the Broadlands works there and let us know the greens were slower and noted we'd enjoy it.  He is 71 (per Clint) a d carries his own bag.  Be played through on #4 and was walking down 18 when my buddy and I were on 14.  That guy can hoof it.  When we finished we talked to another employee who talked to us for several minutes about the course and thanked us for coming out and was happy we enjoyed our time there.  Looking at the staff roster on the site that was the financial manger.  Good experience all around.

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

• Like 1

Walked both Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley last Tuesday.   Long day to be sure but the walk is definitely doable.  They just don't have many times for people not staying on property to get in both courses on the same day.  I took what I could get but we literally had less than 10 minutes coming off Mammoth to get on a shuttle and up to Sand Valley.   8.5 hours to play both courses.   Mammoth definitely the easier of the two with extra wide fairways and what appeared to be larger greens.   I found the greens on Sand Valley to be more difficult but that might have also been because I started losing steam right before the 27th hole.   Anyway for so early in the season I was impressed with the condition and really thought it was a great facility.   Definitely made for a fun buddies trip and would recommend at least one round there if you are in the area playing anywhere else. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

2 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

Walked both Mammoth Dunes and Sand Valley last Tuesday.   Long day to be sure but the walk is definitely doable.  They just don't have many times for people not staying on property to get in both courses on the same day.  I took what I could get but we literally had less than 10 minutes coming off Mammoth to get on a shuttle and up to Sand Valley.   8.5 hours to play both courses.   Mammoth definitely the easier of the two with extra wide fairways and what appeared to be larger greens.   I found the greens on Sand Valley to be more difficult but that might have also been because I started losing steam right before the 27th hole.   Anyway for so early in the season I was impressed with the condition and really thought it was a great facility.   Definitely made for a fun buddies trip and would recommend at least one round there if you are in the area playing anywhere else. 

Headed there for 3 days next month for a buddies trip. Cant wait. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TBone0576 said:

This got me excited as well....trying to book a tee time as a single....I can get in 36 holes on a few days but there are very few options for singles in May....pretty crazy....Good for them....they will build anoter 2-3 courses total in the next 5-7 years in my opinoin.

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

28 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

Already building Sedge Valley and Lido.

I heard about the LIDO.  What is Sedge Valley all about?  Is that the Doak course?  I had heard a year ago it was on hold.....hoping its a go

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

3 minutes ago, BG5 said:

I heard about the LIDO.  What is Sedge Valley all about?  Is that the Doak course?  I had heard a year ago it was on hold.....hoping its a go

I'm pretty sure the Lido just jumped ahead of Sedge Valley because of how excited they probably are to bring it to Sand Valley.  Probably be a top 5 course in country.  Don't know much about Sedge other than they still planning on building it.

44 minutes ago, BG5 said:

I think Sedge Valley was to be a par 68 or something "non-traditional."  I also believe work on Sedge Valley went on hold to pick up the Lido project.  Lido will be 90% members and their guests with $50K up front.  They do have access to a ton of land.  It may grow significantly over time.

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

That makes sense about Sedge Valley.  When I played Sand Valley last year there was a lot of work being done on clearing land for Sedge Valley when we played in May.  With the amount of rounds being played at both Bandon and Sand Valley I think its safe to say Keiser is not afraid to keep on building courses.  HE is loaded and alot of the money is put up by other people so I think when its all said and done that Sand Valley will have 6-7 courses

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

19 hours ago, BG5 said:

This got me excited as well....trying to book a tee time as a single....I can get in 36 holes on a few days but there are very few options for singles in May....pretty crazy....Good for them....they will build anoter 2-3 courses total in the next 5-7 years in my opinoin.

I thought it were people taking advantage of reduced rates until the end of May when I tried to book foursomes for that time back in the end of March. Lodging was booked entirely for the last 3 weeks in May and finding tee times was difficult. While we were able to book rounds at both MD and SV, we couldn't get both courses on the same day. 

It looks like June, which is when the rates rise to their high season levels, is also heavily booked. They are knocking it out of the park up there in central Wisconsin. I don't know if the market research says this boom is sustainable, but hopefully it persuades the Keisers to expand both the lodging and golf course count at the resort. 

• Like 1

I think its safe to say that Sand Valleys location is ideal to people living in Chicago, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and even Michigan and other surrounding states.  People have shown that they will flock to play good golf courses and Sand Valley is simply amazing.  Good for them....good for the game of golf.....and good for the surrounding communities around Sand Valley.  Its a win win for everyone

• Like 3

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link