2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Escaping California Thread (NO POLITICS)

BeerPerHole

I have heard good things about Boise. I do need to take the family to see it. I've also heard great things about Austin. I laughed when I saw Tom Kite interviewed on the tv during the PGA tourney there. "We love to have you come visit, just don't stay." Californians have flooded into Austin. But, they've flooded into many nice places.

Let me know when you come visit :)

On a side note, my brother in laws brother live in Austin and loves it.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beaufort S.C. is nice. Lived in the area 15 years ago and loved it.

I've lived in CA . . . San Diego and Vallejo, in the '80s. Three of my kids currently live in San Diego, and they're also thinking of bailing. The middle-class is getting thrashed and the public schools are outcome-based. Now, Sacramento is considering a whopping 15% payroll surcharge to support healthcare. It's all a shame, and I wish you well in your new location.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I have a short list so far. One place that intrigues me, on paper, is Portland, TX. Where are you, and what places do you think are worth looking at? I'd prefer good golf, close to a coast, good schools, affordable.

If you are talking about Portland, TX near Corpus Christi and Port Aransas, there is great fishing off the coast and in the bay their. As far as schools go, I'm not sure about Portland but my aunt just retired from Calallen high school just outside of Corpus and it was a pretty "wealthy" area with good schools, not sure how Portland TX stacks up.

If Portland TX is one you are looking at, be prepared for humid and hot days in summer and pretty much high humidity the entire year.

I live in the Austin burbs and was born and raised just outside of Austin. Thankfully I was more wise to choose Texas A&M as my alma mater, sorry longhorn fans. Back on topic......

I have a wife and 2 small kids, while we like and enjoy Austin, the traffic is absolutely terrible, the city planners did not want the population boom to come here, thus roads have been impacted with congestion. Trying not to get too political, but Austin is and has always been a little too far left for my liking. Around the burbs it's not so bad (Williamson County, or the northern burbs, is about as direct opposite to Travis county where Austin is as you can get).

Having said all of this, I have a job opportunity and will be accepting a position with my company that will have us moving to Phoenix. We are excited and nervous all together, but we have enjoyed our time living outside Austin.

Whew, this is getting long winded. One last point, I played golf today just north of Austin at my home course, teed off at 9 am and it was humid and sticky as all get out. Just be prepared for any coastal living situation, especially Texas, the humidity will be very high.

If you have any more questions about Austin or surrounding areas shoot me a PM, would be more than happy to discuss them or have you out to play golf sometime just north of Austin.

Thanks for the great input, everybody. Just last night I was at my kids' school for an event and a father there was wearing a South Padre Island tee shirt. I pointed and asked about what he knew about that area. Ends up he had lived in Texas about a decade while his wife was in the military and spent a lot of time around Corpus and the coast fishing (loves fishing as I do). The way he described the coast down there sounded like the kind of place I'd love to retire to - fairly unpopulated, the huge coastal channel with the redfish schools heading up and down, the laid-back people. Sounded pretty darn good. I also go tuna fishing here in California annually and I've been reading about the tuna fishing out of Corpus and Houston. I'd love chasing those blackfin.

I see talk on here of earthquakes. Man, I've ridden through plenty of those in Cali. This region doesn't get them very often, but when I was growing up in the bay area I remember sitting and eating my breakfast (just south of SF) and watching my cereal bouncing out of the bowl at our kitchen table and just continuing to eat...haha.

My colleague at work will be retiring from our office about the same time. I'm an engineer and he's an architect. He's heading to Houston. This also increases my ability to do part-time work if we're in the same region.

Thanks for the great input, everybody. Just last night I was at my kids' school for an event and a father there was wearing a South Padre Island tee shirt. I pointed and asked about what he knew about that area. Ends up he had lived in Texas about a decade while his wife was in the military and spent a lot of time around Corpus and the coast fishing (loves fishing as I do). The way he described the coast down there sounded like the kind of place I'd love to retire to - fairly unpopulated, the huge coastal channel with the redfish schools heading up and down, the laid-back people. Sounded pretty darn good. I also go tuna fishing here in California annually and I've been reading about the tuna fishing out of Corpus and Houston. I'd love chasing those blackfin.

I see talk on here of earthquakes. Man, I've ridden through plenty of those in Cali. This region doesn't get them very often, but when I was growing up in the bay area I remember sitting and eating my breakfast (just south of SF) and watching my cereal bouncing out of the bowl at our kitchen table and just continuing to eat...haha.

My colleague at work will be retiring from our office about the same time. I'm an engineer and he's an architect. He's heading to Houston. This also increases my ability to do part-time work if we're in the same region.

We limited on trout in an hour and redfish another hour down at Baffin Bay last September. Then the hunt was on for the bull reds.

I was detailed to Houston once in October. It was 92* and 90% humidity, and the locals were all saying, 'thank god the heat finally broke'. Whaaat?

I've spent a decent amount of time in Houston for work (and almost ended up moving there for work). But I just couldn't do Houston. It's a decent city with a ton to offer. There are some really cool parts of the city (I.e The Heights). However, the humidity is unbearable. I was there in mid march and it was 90 and 90+% humidity. Some people are fine with humidity... I am not. I just get miserable. I'll take 110* with low humidity in Phoenix over 90* and 95% humidity every single time.

My mom however. Hates Phoenix. Hates the scorching heat. But she will go to South Carolina in August and lay by the pool for 8 hours in 100% humidity.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I'm not American obviously but have traveled a ton through the US....i love the pacific northwest, i have always said if i moved to the US it would be Portland, Oregon. I have some friends there who love it including one who moved from Montreal. Nice city, kind of small but still a "big city", some nice history, low crime rate, weather not terrible, and proximity to a nice wine valley.....that checks a lot of boxes for me!

Gotta agree Portland is an awesome area. It is pretty wet though. I have played golf there during work trips and more than once almost got my shoes sucked off my feet from the mud. One of the courses was a par 3 12 hole course, brewery, distillery, and restaurant. Greens fees included a pint of beer you were supposed to take out on the course with you. Great culture, very free and creative. You gotta get some tats and piercings though..

Edit: although every time I have been there I would occasionally look up at Mt Rainier and think 'not today big guy please'..

That is one great thing about the northeast. Winter can suck but no active volcanos or tectonic plates really.

The earthquake threat out west in our lifetime is something I'd rather not read or think about. I think most just put their hands over their ears and say "LA LA LA"

Not sure if you are serious about the no tectonic plates. When the Cascadia Fault goes it will obliterate Portland and Seattle

http://www.cnn.com/2...ne-earthquakes/

Yes i said that's the good thing about the northeast, not the northwest. Aware of the cascadia faults, it's actually a hobby of mine to read about this stuff!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I actually spent last week in Austin, which is a city i had not been to much in the past. I have a colleague moving there in a few weeks. Everyone i met there loves it, and it seems to be a good mix of young blood , without being completely all-of-the-bad-stereotypes-of-millenials young blood....like there's still some good old fashioned charm to it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If you love fishing here is a picture of a redfish I caught down at Baffin Bay this past September. We limited on trout in an hour and redfish another hour. Then the hunt was on for these bull reds.

Can you keep those at that size? If not, you shouldn't be holding them like that. One, holding them vertical can cause intestinal damage to the fish. Two, holding fish by the gill/gill plates is just cruel. think if some one decided to hold you up by your throat...

Forever Changing at this point.......

If you love fishing here is a picture of a redfish I caught down at Baffin Bay this past September. We limited on trout in an hour and redfish another hour. Then the hunt was on for these bull reds.

Can you keep those at that size? If not, you shouldn't be holding them like that. One, holding them vertical can cause intestinal damage to the fish. Two, holding fish by the gill/gill plates is just cruel. think if some one decided to hold you up by your throat...

Yes you can keep them that size, and you are correct that is not the correct way of handling a fish, that was the way the guide handed it to me. I have removed the photo to not show incorrect handling.

Yes you can keep them that size, and you are correct that is not the correct way of handling a fish, that was the way the guide handed it to me. I have removed the photo to not show incorrect handling.

Wow that's a big fish to keep haha. We can't keep reds bigger than 25". Also thank you. I wasn't trying to be an a** about it. The guide should know better and I just try to inform people about how to treat our resources.

Cheers

Forever Changing at this point.......

Ok

I'm here to help if I can be of assistance.

I was raised in Michigan, yes summers in Northern Michigan are grand. We had a summer cottage real close to Traverse City.

In my career I have lived in Wash D.C. , Las Vegas, Scottsdale AZ., Rancho Mirage, Ca. and now I am living in Asheville , NC.

I personally would pass on anywhere in Texas. The climate is rough in most spots.

I really liked the desert SW, especially as a golfer, but the summers are a b****.

I suggest anywhere in NC or SC.

Charleston is grand. The cost of living is quite high as it is such a popular new city to locate to.

Savannah is fine as well.

Asheville is booming. It is not near the coast(but not that far really), but has all the outdoor activities anyone could want really.

It is far more reasonable in cost of living compared to Charleston.

The Asheville climate is one of the best in the middle south.

Mild winters and not really scorching (Atlanta ) summers.

Very nice people all around the area. Artistic neat feeling. I call it the Portland of the East Coast.

Schools are just fine in some suburban areas.

I just wanted to contribute as I have lived out west, in the mid west, and now North Carolina.

If it wasn't so often dreary, I would consider Portland or Seattle as well.

You can keep Texas, Florida, and the deep South.

I couldn't live in the upper Mid West year round for sure either.

That would cause suicide for any Cali Golden Bear person. Trust me on that.

Golf is awesome all over the Carolina's as well.

We all know that is important.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

Ok

I'm here to help if I can be of assistance.

I was raised in Michigan, yes summers in Northern Michigan are grand. We had a summer cottage real close to Traverse City.

In my career I have lived in Wash D.C. , Las Vegas, Scottsdale AZ., Rancho Mirage, Ca. and now I am living in Asheville , NC.

I personally would pass on anywhere in Texas. The climate is rough in most spots.

I really liked the desert SW, especially as a golfer, but the summers are a b****.

I suggest anywhere in NC or SC.

Charleston is grand. The cost of living is quite high as it is such a popular new city to locate to.

Savannah is fine as well.

Asheville is booming. It is not near the coast(but not that far really), but has all the outdoor activities anyone could want really.

It is far more reasonable in cost of living compared to Charleston.

The Asheville climate is one of the best in the middle south.

Mild winters and not really scorching (Atlanta ) summers.

Very nice people all around the area. Artistic neat feeling. I call it the Portland of the East Coast.

Schools are just fine in some suburban areas.

I just wanted to contribute as I have lived out west, in the mid west, and now North Carolina.

If it wasn't so often dreary, I would consider Portland or Seattle as well.

You can keep Texas, Florida, and the deep South.

I couldn't live in the upper Mid West year round for sure either.

That would cause suicide for any Cali Golden Bear person. Trust me on that.

Golf is awesome all over the Carolina's as well.

We all know that is important.

I didn't know you were in Asheville, that's my spot!

I would check out Austin, Nashville, or Ashville NC.

Nooo!!!!!!!!!! Pretend none of these cities exist. Californians have pretty much ruined Austin and have been moving to Nashville in droves recently....

I have heard that before.

First, when I lived in Metro Detroit, everyone wanted to escape to almost anywhere else.

When I lived in greater Wash. D.C. most wanted to move south, but not too far like all the way to Florida.

I was in Vegas next and I wanted the heck out after 10 years there. Many Californians were moving into Vegas, but that

wasn't why I wanted out. I wanted a "normal city" with some natural charm. Vegas has none of that! lol

Phoenix was an improvement and I liked it very much. As said earlier in this thread it is made up of Midwesterners for sure.

Heck it's Chicago of the desert.

I lived in the Californian desert next, and I had many golfing buddies that were from Portland and Seattle (snowbirds they were).

They always said the droves of Californians coming to their cities was out of control. It really pissed them off.

Californians are great people in my book. If I made 800k a year and only had to commute 3 miles max to work each way daily

I would take living there for sure. Anywhere Seal Beach south to La Jolla would be fine!

I am really far from that income level though.

Nobody wants to leave Asheville and after being here 5 years I understand.

Still I'm a born and raised proud Michigander at heart.

CKLW (which old guys here knows what that is?)

Tigers baseball

Lakes

Boating

Fishing

....and cars baby!

Remember change is good.

Nooo!!!!!!!!!! Pretend none of these cities exist. Californians have pretty much ruined Austin and have been moving to Nashville in droves recently....

First, when I lived in Metro Detroit, everyone wanted to escape to almost anywhere else.

When I lived in greater Wash. D.C. most wanted to move south, but not too far like all the way to Florida.

I was in Vegas next and I wanted the heck out after 10 years there. Many Californians were moving into Vegas, but that

wasn't why I wanted out. I wanted a "normal city" with some natural charm. Vegas has none of that! lol

Phoenix was an improvement and I liked it very much. As said earlier in this thread it is made up of Midwesterners for sure.

I lived in the Californian desert next, and I had many golfing buddies that were from Portland and Seattle (snowbirds they were).

They always said the droves of Californians coming to their cities was out of control. It really pissed them off.

Californians are great people in my book. If I made 800k a year and only had to commute 3 miles max to work each way daily

I would take living there for sure. Anywhere Seal Beach south to La Jolla would be fine!

Tigers baseball

Lakes

Boating

Fishing

....and cars baby!

Remember change is good.

I'm a Michigan guy as well..... Grew up in Commerce (Metro Detroit), went to Michigan State and moved away. Chicago, Jackson MS, then settled in Franklin TN (25 minutes south of downtown Nashville).

I'm just grouping Californians into a big lump of people, actually some of my really good friends here are from there. They escaped the taxes, crazy real estate and insane laws to come to a more "normal" place. But they're one of the first ones to speak up against being careful that the California "values" don't spread as their home state has become tough to live in.

But in terms of Austin, this was the line that people moving into town tried to cross.... http://kxan.com/2015/04/02/city-looks-to-regulate-bbq-smoke/

Rumor has it that movement was led by out-of-towners, mainly from CA. Plus, have you been to Austin lately? It's a liberal, hipster free for all..... Great if it's your thing.... Nashville is actually kind of moving that way. They just elected a very liberal mayor.

Tigers baseball

Lakes

Boating

Fishing

....and cars baby!

Remember change is good.

I'm a Michigan guy as well..... Grew up in Commerce (Metro Detroit), went to Michigan State and moved away. Chicago, Jackson MS, then settled in Franklin TN (25 minutes south of downtown Nashville).

I'm just grouping Californians into a big lump of people, actually some of my really good friends here are from there. They escaped the taxes, crazy real estate and insane laws to come to a more "normal" place. But they're one of the first ones to speak up against being careful that the California "values" don't spread as their home state has become tough to live in.

But in terms of Austin, this was the line that people moving into town tried to cross.... http://kxan.com/2015...late-bbq-smoke/

Rumor has it that movement was led by out-of-towners, mainly from CA. Plus, have you been to Austin lately? It's a liberal, hipster free for all..... Great if it's your thing.... Nashville is actually kind of moving that way. They just elected a very liberal mayor.

Yes. Facts are facts and if you live in Davidson County, you are under some rough stuff. Luckily, you live south of that community so you are okay my friend.

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

A little... that's putting it mildly

Lake Effect snows.... brutal

Decent Skiing though up there.

But when can you expect to get your first round of golf in?

Late April?

Excellent statement.

Kind of rough?

How about over just a ways from TC is Gaylord.

141 inches of annual snow fall!

That's northern Michigan.

The average US city gets 26 inches!

Every pickup has a plow on it.

And spring hits on Memorial Day.

Brutal

Lol

My favorite places in the country (excluding CA): Asheville, NC; Denver/Golden, CO; Flagstaff/Sedona, AZ; Traverse City, MI

Traverse City is the only one you could say is really on a coast (Lake Michigan) but the winters are a little rough compared to where you're from.

A little... that's putting it mildly

Good call 2ball

As a native Texas, stay away from Houston. I wouldn't live in that city except under extreme circumstances. As others have said, the humidity is downright ridiculous. I'm talking about walking outside in December and your glasses fog up and it feels like you just walked into a bathroom that you wife just used up all the hot water in an hour long shower.

Yes, it gets hot. Really hot.

The hill country is pretty popular now (relatively low humidity and great weather just about all year). San Antonio and west of there. Austin is great as previously mentioned.

I go back and forth between Texas Gulf Coast and northern Minnesota.

No state income tax in Texas makes it my home.

100 golf courses in Houston area, but 75% private.

California is different/strange to outsiders, so if you're looking to recapture CA elsewhere - that'll be tough!

Closest to CA is probably Austin, TX.

Texsport

Nowhere NEAR 75% private. Not even close.