2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What a terrific US Open !

Couples1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's confession time: I liked chambers bay and loved the tournament it produced..

Wow, I'm glad to finally get that off my chest...

And it feels good, telling y'all, my internet friends...

-Chris

2015 US Open was pure, unscripted drama. Who cares if the greens are made of broccoli?

Fox coverage is astronomically better than CBS. and getting better.

I've never really understood the joy of watching pros struggle. The US Opens where the winner is +2 are incredibly boring to me. I'd rather watch players get rewarded for good shots instead of missing a 4 foot box on a green and then being 40 yards off of it. This course isn't exactly easy. Just look at what a lot of great players shot. But if you play good, you can be rewarded here. That seems to me to be a great golf course.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I think the real complaint isn't the scores being shot, it's who is shooting them.

If Phil, Rory and Jordan were tied at -11 after three rounds, there would be a lot less complaints. We'd be hearing more about how this is more like the Masters with the crowd roars and how much better this is than your usual US Open.

This is a great point. Much easier to stomach a 15 under US Open if the leaderboard is packed with Hall of Famers. Seeing the coarse ripped up by a bunch of pros who don't even have a headshot in the PGA Tour Media Guide is disappointing.

No one is forcing you guys to watch it

Who says I am?

Oh so then you're commenting on something you haven't watched. Yea, sure.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Posts have nothing to do with accurate comments buddy! Opinion's still matter and guarantee more people think like me. Trust me - real golfers don't want to watch a major like this. This could be any tour stop and feels like it. If you think this does feels like a major so far, you are crazy.

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

27 posts in 10 years we're not missing much from this candidate

Trust you to tell me what a "real golfer" is? Ha please tell me what constitutes the definition...his should be good.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

It will miss more than just me. I bet the ratings for this will be terrible. You are crazy if you think this type of golf in a major is entertaining to anyone. I think the "so called" big names these days have gotten complacent. They need these top players to start competing and playing more. I am as much of golf fanatic as anyone, but this is not major golf or a major golf test. As Nicklaus and other greats have always said, the best and toughest golf course, bring out the greatest golfers in the world. Surely, don't see that here.

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf. Not too much exciting has happened this year, except when Dustin was winning early. The big names have dropped off. Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer would think this stuff is laughable. Big names don't miss major cuts and are in contention. How many times did Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer and Woods miss cuts and not compete at a Major.

Winner of a US Open should be a top world wide golfer and should be close to par. USGA should be embarassed.

Golf will miss you.

This guy is awesome. Please tell me more omniscient one!!

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Great US Open so far. The course is doing what the USGA set out to do, which is to identify the best players. DJ wasn't playing well coming in. Neither was Rory and neither was Day.

Fowler has been playing well. Koepka has played well. Thomas has been great all year. Harman is having his best year.

Should be a great final round.

And to think they somehow have done all of this with no trees.

Chamblee said the course isn't long enough. What? Merion was under 7,000 yds plus it rained and the winning score was over par.

Hopefully it's windy tomorrow.

They tricked up Merion to keep scores high. Pins were tucked in stupid spots.

So what? That was a great tournament.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

No, I don't think the scores should be par, but par should be a challenge. Most of the young Pro's now a distance masters, shot making is not at a premium, and course management is not as a big of a factor. Not saying these guys can't make difficult shots, I am sure they can, but it rarely comes up. The tour is mostly power, and of course putting.

It is just a different game from previous years.

I think the real complaint isn't the scores being shot, it's who is shooting them.

If Phil, Rory and Jordan were tied at -11 after three rounds, there would be a lot less complaints. We'd be hearing more about how this is more like the Masters with the crowd roars and how much better this is than your usual US Open.

This is a great point. Much easier to stomach a 15 under US Open if the leaderboard is packed with Hall of Famers. Seeing the coarse ripped up by a bunch of pros who don't even have a headshot in the PGA Tour Media Guide is disappointing.

No one is forcing you guys to watch it

Who says I am?

Oh so then you're commenting on something you haven't watched. Yea, sure.

I don't need to shove my head into a septic tank to tell you it smells like shite. There have been approximately 30 hours of coverage on Fox and I've watched maybe five of that. And if it comes down to a fierce, pitched duel tomorrow between Brain Harman and Tommy Fleetwood I would rather watch high definition video of a hobo taking a six hour nap.

Ok. If its not a grip it n rip it course, then what kind of course is it?

Good question.

I dont have the background to really understand the principles of course design that well. I see people just looking at the board and thinking its a shootout course but theres more going on here. You cant really bomb and wedge since offline is dead and while the fairways are very wide if you sit back, some fairways narrow a lot and are guarded if you want to air it out.

The names on top are not at all big hitters but they are playing the best golf. They *are* playing "us open" golf: fairways, well positioned approaches, and some stellar greenside work. The putting actually look pretty tough and

Had it not rained as much youd see far fewer stuck approaches, esecially long ones and some very tricky putting.

Id love to hear some opinions by some involved in course design/the industry.

My view if you have to trick a course up so much to protect par, you might as well play on a putt putt course. I don't care what the winning score is.

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Square Strike Chipper (black) 45 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty X5 duel 33 in / 40g    

9 HC

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf. Not too much exciting has happened this year, except when Dustin was winning early. The big names have dropped off. Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer would think this stuff is laughable. Big names don't miss major cuts and are in contention. How many times did Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer and Woods miss cuts and not compete at a Major.

Winner of a US Open should be a top world wide golfer and should be close to par. USGA should be embarassed.

I have to wonder if Phil is sitting at home watching this scoring and thinking "My God, I had a real chance."

Chamblee said the course isn't long enough. What? Merion was under 7,000 yds plus it rained and the winning score was over par.

Hopefully it's windy tomorrow.

They tricked up Merion to keep scores high. Pins were tucked in stupid spots.

So what? That was a great tournament.

No it wasn't. If they want to play it at Merion then they should play the course as it was designed.

Seeing all these low scores, some of the really big names who missed the cut are bound to be kicking themselves this weekend. 60-70 yard fairways, soft greens, four par 5's...pretty much a bomber's paradise by U.S. Open standards.

Rory said the course suited him but he has only played one tournament since the Masters. Too rusty. Dustin Johnson's child was born this week. Mind might not have been fully on the game. Jason Day just isn't playing that great.

The U.S. Open is supposed to be about shot making, placing your ball in the best position. It is not supposed to be about strictly power, that is what is happening. Fun but not shot challenging. 700+ yard par 5, ridiculous!

600+ yard par 5s are no different than 575 yard par 5s 25 years ago.

If you've seen the course you would know that it's not just about power. The guys who are in the lead are there because they are hitting the best shots, missing in the right spots and getting up and down.

Seeing all these low scores, some of the really big names who missed the cut are bound to be kicking themselves this weekend. 60-70 yard fairways, soft greens, four par 5's...pretty much a bomber's paradise by U.S. Open standards.

Rory said the course suited him but he has only played one tournament since the Masters. Too rusty. Dustin Johnson's child was born this week. Mind might not have been fully on the game. Jason Day just isn't playing that great.

Scott, Stenson, Noren, Rahm, Rose...hard to believe so many of them blew it this week.

No, I don't think the scores should be par, but par should be a challenge. Most of the young Pro's now a distance masters, shot making is not at a premium, and course management is not as a big of a factor. Not saying these guys can't make difficult shots, I am sure they can, but it rarely comes up. The tour is mostly power, and of course putting.

It is just a different game from previous years.

And somehow Brian Harman is at the top of the leaderboard. And Tommy Fleetwood is right behind him.

Being long helps and is important. But it doesn't mean anything if the rest of their game is mediocre.

It is a great course, great tourney so far and a fun leaderboard. Problem is it feels like a regular tourney. You could slap a sponsor on this thing and act like it was a PGA event and no one would be any the wiser.

Btw, I am baffled by the lack of a super long hitter like Champ or DJ or Bubba not having destroyed this course, so there's that fwiw. I guess the ability to hit it 500 yards doesn't mean you are going to win all the time like the announcers would have you believe.

I have to wonder if Phil is sitting at home watching this scoring and thinking "My God, I had a real chance."

I think Phil's career record in the U.S. Open gives him the confidence to believe he has a good chance every year. :)