2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What a terrific US Open !

Couples1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with pretty much everything, but especially about Holly. Not my cup of tea. Would much rather see Amanda Balionis.

Amanda has those crazy eyes going. There might be a restraining order in her future.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I agree with pretty much everything, but especially about Holly. Not my cup of tea. Would much rather see Amanda Balionis.

Holly was gently, finely crafted by the hands of god...complex doctors.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I`d like to see this course play hard and fast. I`d rather see the leader at +6.

I agree. I grew up when "PAR" was strived for and "BIRDIES" were hard to attain. Nowadays, all these whiney brats complain about is the long, thick rough and the hard, dry & fast greens that they have to play on. Seriously? Roll back the ball and the metal head sizes, then let's hear them whine.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I think the real complaint isn't the scores being shot, it's who is shooting them.

If Phil, Rory and Jordan were tied at -11 after three rounds, there would be a lot less complaints. We'd be hearing more about how this is more like the Masters with the crowd roars and how much better this is than your usual US Open.

This is a great point. Much easier to stomach a 15 under US Open if the leaderboard is packed with Hall of Famers. Seeing the coarse ripped up by a bunch of pros who don't even have a headshot in the PGA Tour Media Guide is disappointing.

I think the real complaint isn't the scores being shot, it's who is shooting them.

If Phil, Rory and Jordan were tied at -11 after three rounds, there would be a lot less complaints. We'd be hearing more about how this is more like the Masters with the crowd roars and how much better this is than your usual US Open.

This is a great point. Much easier to stomach a 15 under US Open if the leaderboard is packed with Hall of Famers. Seeing the coarse ripped up by a bunch of pros who don't even have a headshot in the PGA Tour Media Guide is disappointing.

No one is forcing you guys to watch it

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

The birdie barrage today certainly makes it difficult to feel like a US Open. I've enjoyed the way Erin Hills sets up, however I'd like to see it play more difficult.

The USGA, and even the PGA of America, are always stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to setting up the courses for their premier championships, and it's due in large part to the time of year they are played.

The prevailing weather conditions in the midwest, northeast and southeast (heck, in pretty much all the USA) in June through August invariably are hot, humid days with pop-up thundershowers. It is exceedingly difficult to setup a championship course in the ideal way without catching a huge break from Mother Nature.

Just another reason why the Masters is the perfect major championship. In mid-April the hot temperatures and high humidity are usually absent, thus allowing the folks at Augusta National to present a perfectly challenging test of golfing skills. :)

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf. Not too much exciting has happened this year, except when Dustin was winning early. The big names have dropped off. Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer would think this stuff is laughable. Big names don't miss major cuts and are in contention. How many times did Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer and Woods miss cuts and not compete at a Major.

Winner of a US Open should be a top world wide golfer and should be close to par. USGA should be embarassed.

No one is forcing you guys to watch it

Who says I am?

The only player in the Top 10 without a PGA or European Tour win is Xander Schauffele. I think Snedeker and Reed are the only two others outside the Fed Ex top 50 and they're among the more well known of the top 10. Fleetwood isn't in the Fed Ex Cup, but he's #2 in the Race to Dubai. It's not an impressive leaderboard to the man on the street, but it's fine for those of us who follow the tour every week. Someone will be getting to a whole new level tomorrow.

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf. Not too much exciting has happened this year, except when Dustin was winning early. The big names have dropped off. Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer would think this stuff is laughable. Big names don't miss major cuts and are in contention. How many times did Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer and Woods miss cuts and not compete at a Major.

Winner of a US Open should be a top world wide golfer and should be close to par. USGA should be embarassed.

Golf will miss you.

The only player in the Top 10 without a PGA or European Tour win is Xander Schauffele. I think Snedeker and Reed are the only two others outside the Fed Ex top 50 and they're among the more well known of the top 10. Fleetwood isn't in the Fed Ex Cup, but he's #2 in the Race to Dubai. It's not an impressive leaderboard to the man on the street, but it's fine for those of us who follow the tour every week. Someone will be getting to a whole new level tomorrow.

Most definitely. This is a fine leaderboard of mostly young and rising stars, and someone is going to take their CV and golfing reputation to the next level. It will be very interesting to watch how these guys deal with that prospect tomorrow.

It will miss more than just me. I bet the ratings for this will be terrible. You are crazy if you think this type of golf in a major is entertaining to anyone. I think the "so called" big names these days have gotten complacent. They need these top players to start competing and playing more. I am as much of golf fanatic as anyone, but this is not major golf or a major golf test. As Nicklaus and other greats have always said, the best and toughest golf course, bring out the greatest golfers in the world. Surely, don't see that here.

Golf will miss you.

It won't be an impressive leaderboard to a guy reading a summary of the tournament on Wikipedia 20 years from now either. Like, if you tuned into Golf Channel Classics and they were replaying a major from 1998 and the leaderboard looked like this:

1. Chris Perry -12

Paul Stankowski -12

3. Phil Blackmar -11

4. Jeff Maggert -10

5. Scott Hoch -9

6. Joey Sindelar -8

Would you honestly watch that?

Funny, if this were a regular Tour event most would be saying it's Bomb and Gouge and boring, the ball goes too far, etc.

But because it has U.S. Open attached to it, it's great golf.

Personally, I like the U.S. Open scores be closer to par. It's what makes it different. Occasionally you see a guy go off, Tiger 2000, Rory 2011 on a soft Congressional, and Kymer at Pinehurst when he made everything, but generally speaking I like watching these guys struggle. The rest of the year it's a birdie fest. U.S. Open shouldn't be.

Totally agree with you.

It won't be an impressive leaderboard to a guy reading a summary of the tournament on Wikipedia 20 years from now either. Like, if you tuned into Golf Channel Classics and they were replaying a major from 1998 and the leaderboard looked like this:

1. Chris Perry -12

Paul Stankowski -12

3. Phil Blackmar -11

4. Jeff Maggert -10

5. Scott Hoch -9

6. Joey Sindelar -8

1. Chris Perry -12

Paul Stankowski -12

3. Phil Blackmar -11

4. Jeff Maggert -10

5. Scott Hoch -9

6. Joey Sindelar -8

Hell yeah! "Mags" was one of my faves!

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

27 posts in 10 years we're not missing much from this candidate

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"