2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What a terrific US Open !

Couples1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, I like to see the pros struggle and grind, like a typical US Open.

But, for me anyway, today is setting up to be an incredibly exciting final round.

Yes, it's atypical, this year someone is going to WIN the Open as opposed to someone losing it. It does feel somewhat like a regular tour stop, but if you try to just set that aside, the golf itself is still going to be compelling. Final round pressure in a major is going to be evident (especially for as many guys in contention trying for their first) no matter how the course plays.

There is nothing easy about Erin Hills... one miscue can put you in a really bad place. Weather played a role too... at the beginning of the week it looked horrible. Ended up raining at night and perfect conditions during the day. Rain made for soft greens, which changes things immensely.

Mostly, I think the USGA was gun shy. They should probably have brought the fairways in a bit, and certainly didn't need to mow the rough.

I don't disagree that this has been a great tournament and fun to watch. But so was the Waste Management and the St. Jude Classic. I think the disappointment is that this doesn't look any different from every other weekly tour stop. These guys are always compelling and fun to watch, that's the point of professional sports in general. The thing we're missing is the opportunity to see these guys truly challenged by the course. We get that once a year and this year we're being robbed of that. I don't know enough to say whether that is because this course isn't capable of truly challenging these golfing gods or the USGA lost its nerve, but I will look forward to watching this championship go back to Shinnacock and I hope the USGA goes back to protecting par.

I don't disagree that this has been a great tournament and fun to watch. But so was the Waste Management and the St. Jude Classic. I think the disappointment is that this doesn't look any different from every other weekly tour stop. These guys are always compelling and fun to watch, that's the point of professional sports in general. The thing we're missing is the opportunity to see these guys truly challenged by the course. We get that once a year and this year we're being robbed of that. I don't know enough to say whether that is because this course isn't capable of truly challenging these golfing gods or the USGA lost its nerve, but I will look forward to watching this championship go back to Shinnacock and I hope the USGA goes back to protecting par.

Yep.

The Masters is suppose to be about Augusta.

The Open is supposed to be about the old links course with windy conditions.

The U.S. Open is supposed to be about an incredibly tricked up course where pros look mortal, fighting life and death for to make par.

Erin Hills has been a British Open without the wind. A PGA Championship with large fairways and no trees. This is a very weak blend of two majors that are due up next. Nice job for whoever wins this one, to me they have a giant asterisk next to their name as far as a "Major" goes.

Why's it so offensive to some if we have ONE tournament a year where a mental war is waged against par?

What a waste of a major.

Yep.

The U.S. Open is supposed to be about an incredibly tricked up course where pros look mortal, fighting life and death for to make par.

Erin Hills has been a British Open without the wind. A PGA Championship with large fairways and no trees. This is a very weak blend of two majors that are due up next. Nice job for whoever wins this one, to me they have a giant asterisk next to their name as far as a "Major" goes.

Why's it so offensive to some if we have ONE tournament a year where a mental war is waged against par?

What a waste of a major.

Looks slightly more windy today... God I hope it plays a factor. I`d love for it to be written that, after 3 days of taking a pounding, Poor Erin started to put up a fight. Even still, I think the winner comes from the groups at 7 or 8. And, as I write that, I throw up just a little in my mouth. The groups at 7 and 8 under par..

Yep.

What a waste of a major.

Looks slightly more windy today... God I hope it plays a factor. I`d love for it to be written that, after 3 days of taking a pounding, Poor Erin started to put up a fight. Even still, I think the winner comes from the groups at 7 or 8. And, as I write that, I throw up just a little in my mouth. The groups at 7 and 8 under par..

Hopefully. So far this "major" has been nothing but a putting contest.

I don't understand why everyone wishes the course was harder, just because alot of players are under par. It's still competition among the players. I think it's great they're all shooting great scores. Keeps the mental part of it up and they play that much better. Yeah, there are some really long holes to contend with, but to watch a player be able to hit the green on 2 on a 600+ yd hole is just amazing!!

How many of you can land it on a 300yd fairway shot? Oh....right, this is WRX, where everyone can do it! HAha!!

And I like to see a course the pros play on where the greens aren't billiard table flat, but turtle backed in alot of places.

They're struggling where it needs to be tough.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

Seeing all these low scores, some of the really big names who missed the cut are bound to be kicking themselves this weekend. 60-70 yard fairways, soft greens, four par 5's...pretty much a bomber's paradise by U.S. Open standards.

Rory said the course suited him but he has only played one tournament since the Masters. Too rusty. Dustin Johnson's child was born this week. Mind might not have been fully on the game. Jason Day just isn't playing that great.

Scott, Stenson, Noren, Rahm, Rose...hard to believe so many of them blew it this week.

This is what the "easy" critics need to reconcile.

6 of the top 10

8 of the top 12

Missed the cut.

I 100% agree...DJ, Rory, Day, Rose, Scott, etc. would argue that the course is pretty difficult. It's rewarding good shots and penalizing poor ones, and that's all you can ask for imo.

I'm so glad JT broke Johnny Miller's record...I was really sick of hearing about that!

Didn't happen in the final round during a comeback to win. You'd still hear about it.

Plus it was done at Erin Hills where a lot of people after going low.

. I personally think EH is tougher than Bethpage but that's just my opinion.

Erin hills par 72- usga rating 77.9 145

Bethpage par 71 usga rating 78.1 152

Never compare courses via ratings/slope. Dean Knuth, the Creator of the slope, told me last yr via email, that is a mistake.

I emailed him and asked how an easier course I was playing was rated tougher in slope than a more difficult course I had played by 7. Didn't make sense to me. He said never compare courses based on that. Ratings could have been done at different times by different people.

I don't understand why everyone wishes the course was harder, just because alot of players are under par. It's still competition among the players. I think it's great they're all shooting great scores. Keeps the mental part of it up and they play that much better. Yeah, there are some really long holes to contend with, but to watch a player be able to hit the green on 2 on a 600+ yd hole is just amazing!!

How many of you can land it on a 300yd fairway shot? Oh....right, this is WRX, where everyone can do it! HAha!!

And I like to see a course the pros play on where the greens aren't billiard table flat, but turtle backed in alot of places.

It's a putting contest for guys who can hit 60 yard wide fairways. Guess what, there are LD guys who could hit an 800 yard hole in 2 if you give them a wide enough fairway. Big f'n whoop.

This "major" has been a joke, period.

The top players missed the cut, (Rory, Day, DJ) but I don't believe the course beat them as much as their game plans did. We heard Rory state to the press, if you can't land your ball on a 60 yard wide fairway then you should pack your bags. I think all three and Bubba learned the hard way that 30 yards to either side of center isn't a lot of space when you hit your drives 350+ yards.

Ben Hogan wrote you can only have a one way miss to be successful because you can plan for the miss by moving your target to compensate, none of these three seem to have read his book. The big hitters that missed the cut didn't adjust to the course. They all hit fewer fairways and GIR than the average for the field.

As a course I like Erin Hills, but I wouldn't say it's a great US Open course. The weather took some of the teeth out of the course leaving only the fescue to defend it. It's a nice course but I don't see people lining up to play it other than to say they played a US Open course.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It's a putting contest for guys who can hit 60 yard wide fairways. Guess what, there are LD guys who could hit an 800 yard hole in 2 if you give them a wide enough fairway. Big f'n whoop.

You already made that clear in another post.

Remember: drive for show, putt for dough.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

It should be interesting to see what they do as far as setup next year at Shinnecock. Will they trick it up to keep scores low? The members swore they'd never have another Open there again after the '04 tournament left the place literally unplayable for the rest of that summer.

A bunch of rich white guys crying about not getting to play golf in the hamptons after a US open is at your course

First world cry me a river problems.

Good grief

I understand you're at a point in life where you have that luxury

Hi tail it to another course that has reciprocation

Poor baby can't play his home course

Would it make a difference if it were a bunch of black guys?

Would it make a difference if slavery was reversed?

Don't get bent because shinnecock fits my description.

Oh Noez! We can't play golf because the usga ruined the course.

Nothing more hilarious to me than entitled PEOPLE complaining about their personal luxuries

It should be interesting to see what they do as far as setup next year at Shinnecock. Will they trick it up to keep scores low? The members swore they'd never have another Open there again after the '04 tournament left the place literally unplayable for the rest of that summer.

A bunch of rich white guys crying about not getting to play golf in the hamptons after a US open is at your course

Good grief

Nothing more hilarious to me than entitled PEOPLE complaining about their personal luxuries

When you pay a significant amount of money to belong to a club you expect to get your value out of it. No matter how much money they have no one likes to waste it. As for the demographics, why does that even matter unless you're racist.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

i love erin hills, think its awesome. Today should be fun, the wind should make it interesting but i think that unless u are close to the lead u wont win because nobody is shooting a 63

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Hopefully. So far this "major" has been nothing but a putting contest.

Actually it's been a driving accuracy contest.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Good grief

Definition of faux outrage and jealousy on your part I'm afraid

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

We get it man. Don't watch then

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

It seems strange to me to see so many people firing rounds of 6,7,8 under in a US open and Justin Thomas just posted 63.

I love golf though and it IS the US Open and with so many players so few strokes apart and all of them capable posting mid 60s on any given day, it shold make for an exciting finish.

Johnny Miller is telling all his friends his 63 was in a final round at a tougher course.

Everyone keeps writing these comments but hitting every green in reg made the USGA rethink course setup forever.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Good grief

When you pay a significant amount of money to belong to a club you expect to get your value out of it. No matter how much money they have no one likes to waste it. As for the demographics, why does that even matter unless you're racist.

Politics not allowed on this board. And I'm not racist. It would seem the members of rich conservative exclusive clubs are.

Congrats on taking something said in jest and instantly becoming offended

God bless The internet.

I have zero compassion for shinnecock members complaining that their course is unplayable.

This article is 25 years old but makes my point exactly. Get off my back for stating facts that somehow offend you

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/14/style/members-only.html?pagewanted=all

The Shinnecock set has memberships at more than one club. I hope the USGA bakes it out again and that crew can all go play winged foot and deepdale for the rest of the summer, they'll be fine.

Thrill thanks for the answer. It seems the rest of the replies kind of went sideways! LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

The top players missed the cut, (Rory, Day, DJ) but I don't believe the course beat them as much as their game plans did. We heard Rory state to the press, if you can't land your ball on a 60 yard wide fairway then you should pack your bags. I think all three and Bubba learned the hard way that 30 yards to either side of center isn't a lot of space when you hit your drives 350+ yards.

Ben Hogan wrote you can only have a one way miss to be successful because you can plan for the miss by moving your target to compensate, none of these three seem to have read his book. The big hitters that missed the cut didn't adjust to the course. They all hit fewer fairways and GIR than the average for the field.

As a course I like Erin Hills, but I wouldn't say it's a great US Open course. The weather took some of the teeth out of the course leaving only the fescue to defend it. It's a nice course but I don't see people lining up to play it other than to say they played a US Open course.

And not at the $250 price tag either.

It seems strange to me to see so many people firing rounds of 6,7,8 under in a US open and Justin Thomas just posted 63.

I love golf though and it IS the US Open and with so many players so few strokes apart and all of them capable posting mid 60s on any given day, it shold make for an exciting finish.

Johnny Miller is telling all his friends his 63 was in a final round at a tougher course.

Everyone keeps writing these comments but hitting every green in reg made the USGA rethink course setup forever.

Love him or hate him, but Miller is right.

Good grief

Politics not allowed on this board. And I'm not racist. It would seem the members of rich conservative exclusive clubs are.

Congrats on taking something said in jest and instantly becoming offended

God bless The internet.

I have zero compassion for shinnecock members complaining that their course is unplayable.

This article is 25 years old but makes my point exactly. Get off my back for stating facts that somehow offend you

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/06/14/style/members-only.html?pagewanted=all

Pretty funny demonizong a whole demographic you've never met while chiding someone else's rational viewpoint. Also it seems you're the one who's offended by the very existence of rich people. Bless the Internet is right hilarious

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black