2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What a terrific US Open !

Couples1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posts have nothing to do with accurate comments buddy! Opinion's still matter and guarantee more people think like me. Trust me - real golfers don't want to watch a major like this. This could be any tour stop and feels like it. If you think this does feels like a major so far, you are crazy.

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

27 posts in 10 years we're not missing much from this candidate

I'd like a lot more Holly, but great scoring and reward for good shots.

I don't get this...she doesn't add to the tourney. If you want to look at that, go to the strip joint...or...get a woman in your life.

Yeah but I enjoy seeing attractive women interspersed throughout my day like a bright ray of sunshine, and sometimes I like seeing them with clothes on to see what kind of interesting concoctions they came up with.

In conclusion, more holly, or whoever they find to do the holly job.

Posts have nothing to do with accurate comments buddy! Opinion's still matter and guarantee more people think like me. Trust me - real golfers don't want to watch a major like this. This could be any tour stop and feels like it. If you think this does feels like a major so far, you are crazy.

This US Open is a joke. Looks like every other tour stop and does not feel like a major. A bunch of unknowns shooting lights out. This is certainly not a major test. Golf better straighten itself out or I am done watching golf.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

27 posts in 10 years we're not missing much from this candidate

2000 U S Open

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I`d like to see this course play hard and fast. I`d rather see the leader at +6.

I agree. I grew up when "PAR" was strived for and "BIRDIES" were hard to attain. Nowadays, all these whiney brats complain about is the long, thick rough and the hard, dry & fast greens that they have to play on. Seriously? Roll back the ball and the metal head sizes, then let's hear them whine.

This is a joke! I thought the 2003 US Open was bad (never forget, you can't spell Olympia Fields without "Lymp") this is horrible!

Before I hear about all the rain it got, last year Oakmont got rain everyday except Sunday, on Thursday they cancelled the round early and many players played 36 holes plus on Friday. The difference is Oakmont has the history and the balls to set the course up on how they feel is championship worthy and let the USGA ride shotgun. Here Erin Hills just takes it and hopes not to upset them in hopes of getting another title. To be honest I played Erin Hills and was hoping for something special this weekend not the John Deere Classic to pop up.

The USGA for years have been wanting to get the Open back in the greater Chicago land area (be that just a hour drive away), safe to say the last two opens in the Central time zone has been bombs.... Erin Hill's and Olympia Fields

hollys white dress

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I think the real complaint isn't the scores being shot, it's who is shooting them.

If Phil, Rory and Jordan were tied at -11 after three rounds, there would be a lot less complaints. We'd be hearing more about how this is more like the Masters with the crowd roars and how much better this is than your usual US Open.

This is a great point. Much easier to stomach a 15 under US Open if the leaderboard is packed with Hall of Famers. Seeing the coarse ripped up by a bunch of pros who don't even have a headshot in the PGA Tour Media Guide is disappointing.

The only player in the Top 10 without a PGA or European Tour win is Xander Schauffele. I think Snedeker and Reed are the only two others outside the Fed Ex top 50 and they're among the more well known of the top 10. Fleetwood isn't in the Fed Ex Cup, but he's #2 in the Race to Dubai. It's not an impressive leaderboard to the man on the street, but it's fine for those of us who follow the tour every week. Someone will be getting to a whole new level tomorrow.

It won't be an impressive leaderboard to a guy reading a summary of the tournament on Wikipedia 20 years from now either. Like, if you tuned into Golf Channel Classics and they were replaying a major from 1998 and the leaderboard looked like this:

1. Chris Perry -12

Paul Stankowski -12

3. Phil Blackmar -11

4. Jeff Maggert -10

5. Scott Hoch -9

6. Joey Sindelar -8

Would you honestly watch that?

Justin Thomas - 24, Si Woo Kim - 21, Rickie Fowler - 28, Tommy Fleetwood - 26, Brooks Koepka - 27. Oldest player in the top 6 is Brian Harman - 30.

If you go back in 20 years, several of these players could be Hall of Famers. Fowler has already achieved a lot for his age and seems to be getting better. Justin Thomas has shot 59 and 63 in a major this year! Si Woo Kim won the Players at 21. Koepka and Fleetwood have so much talent. Only Harman is a bit unknown, but maybe he'll have a late peak, let's see how he does tomorrow.

This is clearly a time of transition on the main Tours. There are so many great golfers in their 20s at the moment. They need time to make their own records.

I agree with pretty much everything, but especially about Holly. Not my cup of tea. Would much rather see Amanda Balionis.

Amanda has those crazy eyes going. There might be a restraining order in her future.

Man didn't you see holly on the post round coverage???!

I didn't even recognize her.

Shes looking dark AF, I thought they had Pam Oliver doing golf

There's no way the USGA didn't know this was coming. In my opinion, they decided to cave to players demands and make a us open easy because of the crap they took last year.

It is not possible that the members truly believed that could produce and even par winning score with 50 yard wife fairways on a par 72. There is no way they are all that thick.

Cut the fairways in half and put 3 to 5 inch rough around the greens and 5+ off the fairways. Simple as that.

Players aren't afraid of tight pins and low cut run off areas when they are bombing it 350 and hitting fairway after fairway.

When there is less fear of failure, there is less pressure. Anyone that has played sports understands this.

I think the real complaint isn't the scores being shot, it's who is shooting them.

If Phil, Rory and Jordan were tied at -11 after three rounds, there would be a lot less complaints. We'd be hearing more about how this is more like the Masters with the crowd roars and how much better this is than your usual US Open.

This is a great point. Much easier to stomach a 15 under US Open if the leaderboard is packed with Hall of Famers. Seeing the coarse ripped up by a bunch of pros who don't even have a headshot in the PGA Tour Media Guide is disappointing.

The only player in the Top 10 without a PGA or European Tour win is Xander Schauffele. I think Snedeker and Reed are the only two others outside the Fed Ex top 50 and they're among the more well known of the top 10. Fleetwood isn't in the Fed Ex Cup, but he's #2 in the Race to Dubai. It's not an impressive leaderboard to the man on the street, but it's fine for those of us who follow the tour every week. Someone will be getting to a whole new level tomorrow.

It won't be an impressive leaderboard to a guy reading a summary of the tournament on Wikipedia 20 years from now either. Like, if you tuned into Golf Channel Classics and they were replaying a major from 1998 and the leaderboard looked like this:

1. Chris Perry -12

Paul Stankowski -12

3. Phil Blackmar -11

4. Jeff Maggert -10

5. Scott Hoch -9

6. Joey Sindelar -8

Would you honestly watch that?

Justin Thomas - 24, Si Woo Kim - 21, Rickie Fowler - 28, Tommy Fleetwood - 26, Brooks Koepka - 27. Oldest player in the top 6 is Brian Harman - 30.

If you go back in 20 years, several of these players could be Hall of Famers. Fowler has already achieved a lot for his age and seems to be getting better. Justin Thomas has shot 59 and 63 in a major this year! Si Woo Kim won the Players at 21. Koepka and Fleetwood have so much talent. Only Harman is a bit unknown, but maybe he'll have a late peak, let's see how he does tomorrow.

This is clearly a time of transition on the main Tours. There are so many great golfers in their 20s at the moment. They need time to make their own records.

I think Thomas, Fowler, and potentially Reed are legitimate stars. I'd be willing to bet that once the clock strikes midnight at this US Open for most of the others on the leaderboard their chariot will turn back into a pumpkin. Happens at every major. Guy we've never heard of comes out of Nowheresville to lead or contend and then once the major is over he disappears. It just so happens that at this major, that unheralded guy is actually an unheralded group of guys.

There's no way the USGA didn't know this was coming. In my opinion, they decided to cave to players demands and make a us open easy because of the crap they took last year.

It is not possible that the members truly believed that could produce and even par winning score with 50 yard wife fairways on a par 72. There is no way they are all that thick.

Cut the fairways in half and put 3 to 5 inch rough around the greens and 5+ off the fairways. Simple as that.

Players aren't afraid of tight pins and low cut run off areas when they are bombing it 350 and hitting fairway after fairway.

When there is less fear of failure, there is less pressure. Anyone that has played sports understands this.

The course is playing this way because 3 inches of rain this week made the greens receptive and perfect.

I guarantee you - in fast and firm conditions, these greens would be VERY hard to hold, especially with the amount of mid and long irons being played. And balls would be running through the fairways into the rough and bunkers that these guys are aiming at with no fear right now.

Nothing can be done about the weather.

The course is playing this way because 3 inches of rain this week made the greens receptive and perfect.

I guarantee you - in fast and firm conditions, these greens would be VERY hard to hold, especially with the amount of mid and long irons being played. And balls would be running through the fairways into the rough and bunkers that these guys are aiming at with no fear right now.

60 yard wide fairways? Gimme a break. It's a grip and rip it course.

I`d like to see this course play hard and fast. I`d rather see the leader at +6.

Go watch the B flight at your club championship.

Not to pick on this post but why do people want to see the best players shoot scores you see every day at home? These guys shooting +6 would be like your buddy 5 capper struggling to break 100.

Not much they can do about soft conditions. Guys are getting very little roll and still reaching 600 yard part 5's. Scores today were similar to a 1990 round at Medinah.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The thing is if you made this course a par 70, with 600 yard par 4s, it would be more like a US Open. Thomas would be at -5, which would be more in line with a regular US Open. That's the issue with this course is that one of its main defences is how long it is. But they could make it 8,500 yard par 72 in these conditions and you'd probably still get a player under par. Length just doesn't really create an issue anymore. They're regularly making a par 5 of well over 600 yards.

Meanwhile Merion could be 6900 yards and the scores would be worse. Tight courses, firm greens challenge more than length does these days.

Merion is 6900 yards and the scores were worse. It rained there and +1 won. Eric Hills just isn't a US open course. Not even a championship course. Better off returning to farm land.

The fairways are enormous. If anything getting the fairways soaked in water would make birdies more difficult because the course would play stupid long, but I see nice run out on these fairways.

I will concede to you that firmer greens without the rain would make birdies more difficult on this course, but at the same time, there's no rough around the greens to penalize players for that firmness. Also if the course does super dry out, tee shots get longer and produce more wedges as well as making the par 5s more reachable.

I think you are right in what you say but only to a degree. IMO, Erin hills does not produce a course too terribly difficult even with fast greens given the layout

"completey ruin the design of the course and the architects intent because it rained a half foot and the wind hasn't blown and I want to see pros be a hack like me"

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

No, it's really not.

This is the 2nd U.S. Open that I have watched on a Links style course, much fun to watch, but not up to U.S. Open standards. Both times the Pro's just ate these courses up, without wind they have no teeth.

There are so many straight big hitters that they are just killing on these wide fairways. I hope we don't see another U.S. Open on these kind of courses.

Justin Thomas was amazing today, this kid hits it straight and very far, 127 MPH swing speed, Tiger was only 124. The kid is a record breaker, 63 is a hell of a score.

No, it's really not.

Yes, yes it is. Wide fairways and no rough around greens. That's grip and rip if I've ever seen it.

Go watch the B flight at your club championship.

Not to pick on this post but why do people want to see the best players shoot scores you see every day at home? These guys shooting +6 would be like your buddy 5 capper struggling to break 100.

Not much they can do about soft conditions. Guys are getting very little roll and still reaching 600 yard part 5's. Scores today were similar to a 1990 round at Medinah.

Because that's the test the US Open presents that sets it apart from the other majors:

The masters has Augusta and the back nine charges.

The US Open has lightning quick hard to hold greens and deep rough, the test is to survive the setup.

The Open has the unpredictable weather, that's the test there.

The PGA plays great courses in fair conditions, but the fair conditions are why it's considered the weakest major. If anything it's the one that lacks character.

So that's the issue. This course isn't presenting the US Open test and if you do that too many times it loses its character and turns into the PGA and then we start debating if the players should replace it on the rota.

shinnecock on steroids my butt...Erin Hills is no US Open course

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

No, it's really not.

Yes, yes it is. Wide fairways and no rough around greens. That's grip and rip if I've ever seen it.

And the top 3 players, the biggest hitters in the world mc and combined for +19. Mostly because they couldnt hit the fairway.

So you are not correct on grip it n rip it.