Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

Has anyone shipped their clubs back to the US from St. Andrews? I am shocked that this isn't a service they provide. They recommended looking into "Mail boxes etc" does anyone have experience with this?

I am headed to Greece for a week after Scotland and can't bring the clubs.

Maybe if you were staying there the hotel might, but not at all surprised in general the course doesn't want to get involved in worrying about a bunch of random golf bags.

Just about every major course I have ever played in the United States will take care of this for you. It is a surprisingly easy service to provide you have a room that stores packed clubs and the carrier picks them up. It is actually very surprising they don't, considering the amount of traveling players they have. I'll just chalk it up to the old school charm though, no big deal.

It might also be an issue with the sheer volume of visiting players, and having 6 courses under their management. I've never used Shipsticks, but I bet most of the hotels in town have experience, and the local offices for the major courier services certainly have experience. I've never looked into it, but I wonder if you could save a couple of dollars by dealing directly with Fedex or UPS.

True. In my experience dealing directly with them has been more expensive actually. I guess they have some sort of deal with Shipsticks and they are able to offer a cheaper price. Plus they run 15-20% off deals quite often. Worst case scenario I leave my clubs in Scotland and have to go back and get them at a later time....and play all of the courses again.

These really ARE first world problems, aren't they? You're playing golf in Scotland, and then you HAVE to spend a week in Greece. I know you'll figure it out, have a great time.

Just did a little chat with Ship Sticks.

DHL is the drop off option according to the guy I chatted with. I was curious as to Glasgow as well. Here's what he sent, but I'm sure an email or phone call and they can assist.

DHL in Glasgow 2 Campsie Dr, Paisley PA3 2SG, UK

DHL Service Point (Ryman St Andrews) 126 Market St, St Andrews KY16 9PD, UK

My chat info won't copy into an intelligible format, but if you check with Ship Sticks they'll give you the DHL location in St. Andrews where you can drop off. Looks easy to get to. I agree with dropping of myself vs. adding another piece to the delivery puzzle, but other plans/business hours/etc. play into all of that.

My chat info won't copy into an intelligible format, but if you check with Ship Sticks they'll give you the DHL location in St. Andrews where you can drop off. Looks easy to get to. I agree with dropping of myself vs. adding another piece to the delivery puzzle, but other plans/business hours/etc. play into all of that.

If my search is right, the DHL drop point is in Market Street, right next to the Tailend Restaurant. Maybe a 3-block walk from the Golf Inn.

If my search is right, the DHL drop point is in Market Street, right next to the Tailend Restaurant. Maybe a 3-block walk from the Golf Inn.

Yep, he said Market Street!

Yep, he said Market Street!

Yeah, the landmark I thought of first was the Keys Bar. That might indicate how I spent a lot of my non-golfing hours.

I am on a waitlist for Muirfield and don't really expect to get a tee time. So instead I am looking at Gullane 2, Luffness, Dunbar, or Glen Golf Club. (Gullane 1 is booked). Suggestions?

Cannot remember whether you were driving it or just training it outta Edi, but I'd suggest Goswick- it's only 45 mins further down the coast from Dunbar.

My favorite amongst the next tier tracks like Gullane, New/Jubilee, Western Gailes, etc...

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I am on a waitlist for Muirfield and don't really expect to get a tee time. So instead I am looking at Gullane 2, Luffness, Dunbar, or Glen Golf Club. (Gullane 1 is booked). Suggestions?

Cannot remember whether you were driving it or just training it outta Edi, but I'd suggest Goswick- it's only 45 mins further down the coast from Dunbar.

My favorite amongst the next tier tracks like Gullane, New/Jubilee, Western Gailes, etc...

Interesting, never heard of it. I'll look into that. It is a little further than we were planning. It is the day we get in, we are staying in North Berwick. We get in around 7am we were going to check out Edinburgh then I was going to try to play in the evening somewhere close to our accommodations and try to stick out the day without falling asleep too early and f'ing up my schedule.

We get in around 7am we were going to check out Edinburgh then I was going to try to play in the evening somewhere close to our accommodations and try to stick out the day without falling asleep too early and f'ing up my schedule.

Are you taking a red eye, and planning to stay awake on the flight? Doesn't one normally have trouble falling asleep, given that one's body clock is 6 hours behind?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Interesting, never heard of it. I'll look into that. It is a little further than we were planning. It is the day we get in, we are staying in North Berwick. We get in around 7am we were going to check out Edinburgh then I was going to try to play in the evening somewhere close to our accommodations and try to stick out the day without falling asleep too early and f'ing up my schedule.

I have heard great tings about Kilspindie, just west of North Berwick.

http://golfclubatlas...lspindie000140/

Short, fast to play, interesting, and relatively level. That might be a good idea for travel-weary legs.

And if you want to stay close to North Berwick, the Glen is really good fun, great views, without being punishing. There are some pretty good climbs, especially the first hole. The scenery at Gullane 2 is identical to Gullane 1, but its a very solid course. Dunbar is good as well, but a little drive.

Oh, be sure to get a fish dinner(fish and chips) at the Old Gullane Clubhouse Restaurant.

Short, fast to play, interesting, and relatively level. That might be a good idea for travel-weary legs.

And if you want to stay close to North Berwick, the Glen is really good fun, great views, without being punishing. There are some pretty good climbs, especially the first hole. The scenery at Gullane 2 is identical to Gullane 1, but its a very solid course. Dunbar is good as well, but a little drive.

Oh, be sure to get a fish dinner(fish and chips) at the Old Gullane Clubhouse Restaurant.

Kilspindie is a must play for us and playing the Glen on your earlier recommendations!

Kilspindie is a must play for us and playing the Glen on your earlier recommendations!

We were split, and chose to play the Musselburgh Old Course with hickory-shafted clubs, instead of Kilspindie. That was fun, but I'm not sure we wouldn't have enjoyed Kilspindie more.

We get in around 7am we were going to check out Edinburgh then I was going to try to play in the evening somewhere close to our accommodations and try to stick out the day without falling asleep too early and f'ing up my schedule.

Are you taking a red eye, and planning to stay awake on the flight? Doesn't one normally have trouble falling asleep, given that one's body clock is 6 hours behind?

I'll give you my experience as someone that is in Europe and Asia usually 10-12+ times/year. Most of my trips are work related and thus I usually get there at some point on Monday and leave Friday after weeks full of meetings. Usually 1-2 trips/year is solely for golf as well. In both cases the one thing that I absolutely force myself to do is to stay up to normal hours on the first day I'm there. I've been doing this for years and it has served me well. Early afternoon of the arrival day is where you have to fight through it but after that you're good to go. I've never had trouble falling asleep if I follow this way of handling it. The only thing that occasionally happens is that I'll go to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 3am. When that happens I just go straight to the gym and run a few miles, no more than 5 or so, just to get a little fatigue. Then take a nap before heading to work or to play golf.

In the last month my travel schedule over the course of 19 days was PHX-DEN(1)-FRA-DUB(3)-FRA-LAX(1)-SFO(1)-LAX(2)-PHX(.5)-DFW-ATL(2)-DFW(1)-PHX(1)-ORD-DIA-HYD(4)-DIA-BOS(1)-PHX. Parentheses indicate the time in days I spent at each. That looks like 9 different time zones that I spent time in during that time and I followed what I said above. Slept pretty much normal every day and often had client/team dinners at night.

I'll give you my experience as someone that is in Europe and Asia usually 10-12+ times/year. Most of my trips are work related and thus I usually get there at some point on Monday and leave Friday after weeks full of meetings. Usually 1-2 trips/year is solely for golf as well. In both cases the one thing that I absolutely force myself to do is to stay up to normal hours on the first day I'm there. I've been doing this for years and it has served me well. Early afternoon of the arrival day is where you have to fight through it but after that you're good to go. I've never had trouble falling asleep if I follow this way of handling it. The only thing that occasionally happens is that I'll go to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 3am. When that happens I just go straight to the gym and run a few miles, no more than 5 or so, just to get a little fatigue. Then take a nap before heading to work or to play golf.

In the last month my travel schedule over the course of 19 days was PHX-DEN(1)-FRA-DUB(3)-FRA-LAX(1)-SFO(1)-LAX(2)-PHX(.5)-DFW-ATL(2)-DFW(1)-PHX(1)-ORD-DIA-HYD(4)-DIA-BOS(1)-PHX. Parentheses indicate the time in days I spent at each. That looks like 9 different time zones that I spent time in during that time and I followed what I said above. Slept pretty much normal every day and often had client/team dinners at night.

This is my plan. Our flight leaves Chicago Monday night and we get into EDI around 7am. I am going to try and sleep as much as possible on the plane. If I can get 3-4 hours I'll be happy. Then the goal is to stay as busy as possible that day, checking out Edinburgh, maybe do that castle thing, eat etc. Then drive to North Berwick unpack a little and get a late afternoon round in before going to sleep. We'll see if we can stick to it. I am pretty good on little sleep, idk how she will do though lol.

I'm planning to ask my doctor for a week's supply of Ambian. I here it works pretty good.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

We have been getting bigs from several different companies as we want to be able to get to play the Old Course. We would be staying in St Andrews at a 3 star Hotel (Ardgowan) to save some $. The courses they have scheduled are the following. 1. Old Course 2. Kingsbarnes 3. Carnouiste 4. Jubilee 5. Castle Course. Transportation is provided to each location. The best rates we have seen is $4400 per person + flights. We would be traveling in June 2020. Can you tell me if this is a good price and if you would recommend this hotel and thoughts on Jubilee and Castle Course and if we should try to find a different course near by? Thanks everyone as we really apppreciate your feedback.

We have been getting bigs from several different companies as we want to be able to get to play the Old Course. We would be staying in St Andrews at a 3 star Hotel (Ardgowan) to save some $. The courses they have scheduled are the following. 1. Old Course 2. Kingsbarnes 3. Carnouiste 4. Jubilee 5. Castle Course. Transportation is provided to each location. The best rates we have seen is $4400 per person + flights. We would be traveling in June 2020. Can you tell me if this is a good price and if you would recommend this hotel and thoughts on Jubilee and Castle Course and if we should try to find a different course near by? Thanks everyone as we really apppreciate your feedback.

I assume you are going to enter the lottery this summer and not be committing to that kind of arrangement this early in the game? Not sure they even know their guaranteed slots for 2020 until later this year?

If you can afford it (and I never considered going over until I got lucky in the lottery which I only half-heartedly entered so I understand if it is THE trip The Old Course being a must play) that's pretty much the way to go for a guarantee, but what you are paying per person isn't far off what 4 of us spent total on our two week trip for lodging, car rental and green fees, including The Old Course and several others, all arranged from the comfort of my living and dining rooms.

I’ve actually stayed at the Ardgowan when I booked late this past year. It was fine. Just your average B&B type place. Nothing special but nothing terrible either. Easy walk to the clubhouses.

Price feels a bit high but my guess is that is due to the Old Course guaranteed time. When we went last year and played the first 3 days at Machrihanish and followed that with Old, Castle, New/Jubilee and Carnoustie it was closer to $3200 but we didn’t have a guaranteed time at Old. That said, we also went with single rooms so it was more expensive than it needed to be if we had wanted to share rooms. I also used a guy that I’ve used for more than 20 trips to the Scotland and Ireland so I’m definitely getting his best price as a repeat customer.

Do you feel like if you miss out in the lottery this August and still want to play the old course will you still be able to get tee times with these travel companies? We would be booking 9-10 months in advance. When is the right time to book since we want June 2020 which is there busy season?

Looks like dcmidnight hit the nail on the head in his answer in your thread. Just think of it as needing a couple extra plane tickets. ;-)

Based on my experience, I'd pay $1500 just to play The Old Course if that was my only shot at a Scotland trip (I wouldn't pay that for the rest of the family as well, lol, so something to be said for just one person paying the premium).

Gullane 2 and Dunbar are the stand outs here. But if you have the $$ $ to spare I'd try for North Berwick. It's awsome.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

interesting with the staying awake on the arrival day.

I travel back and forth from Scotland to Houston.

On way to Scotland I try and take the latest flight, 6pm ish or later(Singapore Airways this time home) then arrive go for dinner and last till 10pm. I don't sleep on planes. the next two nights I am fine but tired then 3 nights after after I am always screwed, wide away at 4am ish then after that I am fine. Officially it takes 1 day per hour of time difference to fully adjust.

With Scotland having such a mild winter, my course has already done the hollow timing prep a month early. I arrive home end of April for a month and thinking the course is going to be in great condition for so early in the season. I plan on golfing as much(at least 22) of the 30 days I will be home for.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Gullane 2 and Dunbar are the stand outs here. But if you have the $$ $ to spare I'd try for North Berwick. It's awsome.

Thanks, should have mentioned I am playing North Berwick. It is the whole reason we are actually going to be in East Lothian. NB is a big bucket list course for me.

Thanks, should have mentioned I am playing North Berwick. It is the whole reason we are actually going to be in East Lothian. NB is a big bucket list course for me.

Just played it last week and it was amazing. Posted up a couple of photos in my "March Golf" thread over in the WRX travel UK section if you're interested.

Just played it last week and it was amazing. Posted up a couple of photos in my "March Golf" thread over in the WRX travel UK section if you're interested.

Definitely, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Anybody travel to St Andrews with a Verizon smartphone? Is it better to simply pony up for the TravelPass ($10 a day), or buy a SIM ($20 - $30) in Glasgow, and do without a phone while sitting around Heathrow waiting for my connecting flight?