Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

Whew. That's a relief. All I have to do is shift with my left hand rather than my right.

And stay on the left side of the road....

Yup and watch for a natural inclination to go from 1st to 4th, as on the North American side of the pond 1st to 2nd is towards you and over there it will be away from you.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Whew. That's a relief. All I have to do is shift with my left hand rather than my right.

And stay on the left side of the road....

Yup and watch for a natural inclination to go from 1st to 4th, as on the North American side of the pond 1st to 2nd is towards you and over there it will be away from you.

Exactly, the pattern is basically identical, with first to the left, 5th or 6th to the right. I never had an issue with shifting, but every once in a while when making a turn I'd have to actively think. My wife and I have it worked out, whoever is NOT driving says, at every single intersection and roundabout, "Stay LEFT."

This will be my first international trip. I usually fly Southwest in the U.S. Any favorite travel booking sites? How far in advance would you suggest booking the flight?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This will be my first international trip. I usually fly Southwest in the U.S. Any favorite travel booking sites? How far in advance would you suggest booking the flight?

Not the cheapest route, but United flies to EDI direct from Chicago, just a heads up if that is something important to you. We are flying out Monday night and get in early Tuesday morning.

I'd have thought United as well, from Chicago. Another option, we took IcelandAir in June,and saved about $400 per person over the United fare from Washington DC. We flew to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh, but that wasn't a problem. All IcelandAir flights connect through Reykjavik

• Like 1

United is on my permanent sh*t list. While a direct flight would be nice, a layover isn't out of the question.

It appears that the trip via train/bus from Glasgow is only 50 minutes longer than the trip from Edinburgh. 'Might be worth considering.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Anyone know anything about cars? Looking for a rental, what is a Skoda and are they any nice?

They are fine. I've had them a few times over the years. They're under the VW umbrella, typically a generation behind platform speaking of the current VW/Seat offering. Assuming you're seeing an "Octavia or similar" listing? Which would be like a Jetta. Or maybe the Fabia? Which would be like a smaller Golf, think Ford Fiesta.

Ah gotcha thanks. Looking at either the Skoda Superb Estate wagon or Mercedez C Wagon. Need a lot of space for clubs and suitcases.

Skoda Superb Estate is a huge car. Based on a platform of the A6 only bigger boot. Good wheels for a trip.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

United is on my permanent sh*t list. While a direct flight would be nice, a layover isn't out of the question.

It appears that the trip via train/bus from Glasgow is only 50 minutes longer than the trip from Edinburgh. 'Might be worth considering.

I just wanted to make sure there was little chance as possible that my clubs got misplaced during layovers and flight changes. Especially because it seems like so many go through Heathrow. That is my biggest fear.

Anyone know anything about cars? Looking for a rental, what is a Skoda and are they any nice?

They are fine. I've had them a few times over the years. They're under the VW umbrella, typically a generation behind platform speaking of the current VW/Seat offering. Assuming you're seeing an "Octavia or similar" listing? Which would be like a Jetta. Or maybe the Fabia? Which would be like a smaller Golf, think Ford Fiesta.

Ah gotcha thanks. Looking at either the Skoda Superb Estate wagon or Mercedez C Wagon. Need a lot of space for clubs and suitcases.

Skoda Superb Estate is a huge car. Based on a platform of the A6 only bigger boot. Good wheels for a trip.

Thanks, I booked a luxury wagon and that is one of the options as well as a couple others. Good to know.

I'm going to Scotland in April. I reached out to Muirfield and got a tee time secured, so I couldn't pass up the chance to travel the rest of the country. How hard will it be to get on the Old Course using the lottery as a single that time of year? Will I need to line up early in the AM if unsuccessful? Every other course I want to play seems to be accessible during my visit, the Old Course is the only gamble. But I do plan to leave 3 or 4 days to make it work.

I'm going to Scotland in April. I reached out to Muirfield and got a tee time secured, so I couldn't pass up the chance to travel the rest of the country. How hard will it be to get on the Old Course using the lottery as a single that time of year? Will I need to line up early in the AM if unsuccessful? Every other course I want to play seems to be accessible during my visit, the Old Course is the only gamble. But I do plan to leave 3 or 4 days to make it work.

As a single, you cannot enter the ballot, so your only option is to line up in the very early morning. Another option, however, is to work through your lodging to see if anyone else is interested in entering the Ballot. If you can join up with someone and apply, you increase your chances. Be sure to bring your handicap card.

Be sure to check the busy dates. You can find more information here:

https://www.standrews.com/Play/Courses/Old-Course/Booking-the-Old-Course

Went toward the end of April 2016, I was able to show up at 5:50 AM and get out at 7:30 AM. I was also able to show up at 4:45 AM and get out at... 7:30 AM.

April is amazing because you can pretty much find a game anywhere you want.

Have fun, everything about St Andrews is special.

G

Realistic drive time from St Andrews to Aberdeen? Maps says 1:45, is that about right for early afternoon? I have heard driving around there usually takes longer.

scott_donald is an Aberdeen resident and active on here, you could PM him or maybe wait and see if he chimes in.

I actually asked a friend who lives South of the Forth and travels up to Aberdeen a handful of times a year for work and reckons it's accurate for non-peak hours.

If you are looking at getting to a tee time, I'd leave a big buffer, you never know if there will be roadworks or an accident.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Check it out using the route planner at theaa.com, that usually has the most accurate drive times

Realistic drive time from St Andrews to Aberdeen? Maps says 1:45, is that about right for early afternoon? I have heard driving around there usually takes longer.

scott_donald is an Aberdeen resident and active on here, you could PM him or maybe wait and see if he chimes in.

I actually asked a friend who lives South of the Forth and travels up to Aberdeen a handful of times a year for work and reckons it's accurate for non-peak hours.

If you are looking at getting to a tee time, I'd leave a big buffer, you never know if there will be roadworks or an accident.

Thanks for the info. Have a free afternoon/evening on my trip. Part of me wants to play Royal Aberdeen over Kingsbarns. Looking at the pictures and reading about them both, it seems like it may be more of what I am looking for.

Hmmm I drove back from there to Aberdeen in about 1 hour 15. there is average speed cameras now on the main road from Aberdeen to Dundee, set at 70 so I just set cruise control.

Aberdeen sucks getting into it when its busy but the bypass is supposed to open by the end of the year so that will make things far easier depending on where you are driving.

where you playing?

61 miles as the crow flies from my house and says 1 hour 35 on google maps right now.

I am lurking.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Thanks for the info. Have a free afternoon/evening on my trip. Part of me wants to play Royal Aberdeen over Kingsbarns. Looking at the pictures and reading about them both, it seems like it may be more of what I am looking for.

If it's a one over the other choice and no way to hit them both in, then I would say Aberdeen.

Kingsbarns is cool but it's more like Bandon Resort so if you've been to Bandon then why not get another round of proper UK links golf in at Balgownie :)

F.T.

Hmmm I drove back from there to Aberdeen in about 1 hour 15. there is average speed cameras now on the main road from Aberdeen to Dundee, set at 70 so I just set cruise control.

Aberdeen sucks getting into it when its busy but the bypass is supposed to open by the end of the year so that will make things far easier depending on where you are driving.

where you playing?

61 miles as the crow flies from my house and says 1 hour 35 on google maps right now.

I am lurking.

I am staying in St. Andrews and have tee times scheduled early Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat. So I would play an early round one of those days then drive up early afternoon, right after eating lunch I would assume.

If it's a one over the other choice and no way to hit them both in, then I would say Aberdeen.

Kingsbarns is cool but it's more like Bandon Resort so if you've been to Bandon then why not get another round of proper UK links golf in at Balgownie :)

That is kind of my thought. It will almost certainly be one or the other. Kingsbarns looks great, but part of me wants to history and Scotish feel. Though I have played Bandon, and up until this point, it is my favorite place in the world ha.

I am staying in St. Andrews and have tee times scheduled early Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat. So I would play an early round one of those days then drive up early afternoon, right after eating lunch I would assume.

what time of year?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

End of August, last week.

light should be fine then.

for playing Royal Aberdeen I am guessing it would be a 3 ish tee time, Saturday would be a bad day as there are comps all the way up till 3.30 ish for members then from 4 there normally is an hour of visitors. If I am playing a few holes then I wait till 7 on a Saturday so I can cut in after the visitors and still not catch them till the 17/18 as they can be real slow.

TIMES FOR VISITORS

Monday & Wednesday 10.00 - 11.30 a.m. & 2.00 - 3.30 p.m.

Tuesday & Thursday 2.00 - 3.30pm

Friday 10.00 - 11.00 a.m. & 2.30 - 3.30 p.m

Weekends - after 3.30 p.m.

here is a typical end of august booking -

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

That is kind of my thought. It will almost certainly be one or the other. Kingsbarns looks great, but part of me wants to history and Scotish feel. Though I have played Bandon, and up until this point, it is my favorite place in the world ha.

That's what I mean. They are simply awesome :) I enjoyed the 4 at Bandon more than Kingsbarns (admittedly I have loads of Bandon resort rounds and only 2 Kingsbarns rounds).

So why not go for that something different and still an awesome course in its own right.

F.T.

End of August, last week.

light should be fine then.

for playing Royal Aberdeen I am guessing it would be a 3 ish tee time, Saturday would be a bad day as there are comps all the way up till 3.30 ish for members then from 4 there normally is an hour of visitors. If I am playing a few holes then I wait till 7 on a Saturday so I can cut in after the visitors and still not catch them till the 17/18 as they can be real slow.

TIMES FOR VISITORS

Monday & Wednesday 10.00 - 11.30 a.m. & 2.00 - 3.30 p.m.

Tuesday & Thursday 2.00 - 3.30pm

Friday 10.00 - 11.00 a.m. & 2.30 - 3.30 p.m

Weekends - after 3.30 p.m.

here is a typical end of august booking -

Thank you for the info, super helpful. It will most likely be Thursday. I may put in a request now for as late as possible (3:30 if open).

anybody every taken a train from edinburgh to north berwick? ... i assume the trains "run on time" and are much more dependable than traffic ...

Yes, I took that train from Edi out to NB a year or two ago and it was quite easy. Just go down to Waverley station and there should be a train on time. It goes past Musselburgh, Muirfield, and Gullane. Takes about half an hour with a very short walk to the course. You will love it. A really memorable course and a nice little clubhouse bar for afters.

anybody every taken a train from edinburgh to north berwick? ... i assume the trains "run on time" and are much more dependable than traffic ...

Yes, I took that train from Edi out to NB a year or two ago and it was quite easy. Just go down to Waverley station and there should be a train on time. It goes past Musselburgh, Muirfield, and Gullane. Takes about half an hour with a very short walk to the course. You will love it. A really memorable course and a nice little clubhouse bar for afters.

thanks ...

I did it last spring and it worked perfectly well. On time trains, 30 minutes ride from Waverley Station + 5 minutes walk to club house. What a great day it has been, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did !

• 3 weeks later...

Do most courses in Scotland not have twilight offers? When looking for 2nd rounds for a day I thought maybe we could get a deal playing late in the afternoon, but it doesn't really look like that is a thing.

Which clubs are you looking at.

You'll see a mix of 'day tickets' + single rounds + twilight options.

Not every course will have all 3, but if you don't see a twilight option, you should see a day ticket one. Some times clubs don't advertise cheaper twilight rates as such, but if they have a booking engine and you can check you may still see lower rates late afternoon.

F.T.

Do most courses in Scotland not have twilight offers? When looking for 2nd rounds for a day I thought maybe we could get a deal playing late in the afternoon, but it doesn't really look like that is a thing.

Which clubs are you looking at.

You'll see a mix of 'day tickets' + single rounds + twilight options.

Not every course will have all 3, but if you don't see a twilight option, you should see a day ticket one. Some times clubs don't advertise cheaper twilight rates as such, but if they have a booking engine and you can check you may still see lower rates late afternoon.

I was mainly looking at Carnoustie, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay and Trump International rates. Was thinking of play a combo 2 of those 4 one day. But didn't see anything as far as "twilight" so I'm not sure we want to pay full price for an end of the trip 2nd round of the day.