Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

yes, you can only park at the new club house if you have a tee time.

O fcourse, I have only ever stayed at the Old Course Hotel, it was awesome but expensive. Dundee would give you a city and not too far away.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I stayed in a place called Elderburn Lodges a couple of years ago. It's no more than 10 minutes drive to TOC and there are various options for sleeping up to 6 guests. There are 5 lodges on site. I think it works out at around £60 per person per night. I think that's reasonable and they were very comfortable to stay in. There are countless other places to stay around St Andrews that I'm sure others can chip in on. That's just my experience.

I've also stayed in the town intself but can't for the life of me think of the place name or where it was! I just know it was a stunning 6 bed townhouse. Expensive through the summer I'm guessing! My in-laws very kindly paid for that one. https://www.elderburnlodges.co.uk/

• Like 1

There's quite a few Heathland courses in Scotland. The definition isn't really fixed but I always use the term when it's a property with links style turf, heather and wild grassland. The Dukes in St Andrews as some healthland features, and is one I enjoy playing when we go up there.

Spey Valley is another classic Heathland course in Scotland and one which is really fantastic. We took a boys golf tour up that way and played Spey Valley, Grantown on Spey and Kingussie, the burgers in the club house in Kingussie are some of the best I've ever tasted in my life. Aberdeen angus paddys with home baked brioche buns.

Cathkin Braes is another heatland course in the West of Scotland but I don't see that it gets much of a mention. Has a very links feel despite being quite far inland.

Big shout out to all the guys who were meant to be on TOC or in Scotland playing links golf over these weeks. We cancelled a trip to Dornoch, Brora, Tain and Golspie. It was a tough call, but we've penceilled in the same trip for next year.

• Like 1

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

As said previously, there is free parking at the Links Clubhouse for golfers, but if you're staying in town and have parked your vehicle, you can walk there just as easily. For the evenings, there is parking in and around St Andrews, some of it free. In 2011 and 2012, the parking in Murray Place was free, and I was able to find a spot for our big Mercedes Vito every night. I believe that lodging is less expensive away from St Andrews itself, even as near as Crail. I've only stayed at B&Bs in St Andrews when I've been there, and they're less expensive than hotels, much less expensive than the Old Course Hotel. I enjoyed and recommend staying in town, its a great town to walk through, and you can't beat the proximity to bars and restaurants.

If you're playing Muirfield and North Bersick, I wouldn't recommend commuting from St Andrews. I believe its something like 90 minutes each way in good traffic, and I can find better things to do with myself for 3 or 4 hours than sitting in a minivan. There are lots of spots in North Bersick, and at least a few in Gullane that would do just fine.

• Like 1

I would look at Gullane also.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

There is plenty of parking at the golf courses, but not overnight and onlt for golfers playing. I'm sure there are deals to be found further out in the countryside. But I would recommend trying to rent a house in St. Andrews on AirBnb or you can contact Stephen at apartmentsinstandrews.com and he can help you find a place. There are tons of places you can find for around $200 a piece for week. He helped me find a house for the 8 of us on my last trip to St. Andrews. We rented a 5br house 150yds from TOC two years ago for about $250 each for the week and that was when the exachange rate was much higher.

Dave,

I'm starting intial plans for our next trip in 2022. I'm thinking Aberdeen/inverness area for this trip. Have you played or stayed any of the courses in that region? Looking at Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen, Nairn, Royal Dornoch, Brora, and maybe a couple more.

• Like 1

I have!

Royal Aberdeen is hard and fun! straight off the tee and you will play well!

Cruden Bay is easy, quirky and fun! I hate the 14th and 15th. plus the 6th hole annoys the hell out of me.

Nairn is a great course also.

Dornoch Is a classic and worth the drive.

Castle Stewart, has great views but not a massive fan, played it two times and wouldn't rush back.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I've been to Dornoch twice, played Royal Dornoch a total of 4 times, and once at Tain. RD is my favorite golf course, ever, anywhere. Tain is good fun, not in the same class, but not near the same cost either. We played it on an afternoon following a 4 hour drive from St Andrews, and it was perfect. There's not a lot in Dornoch, but enough for a good few days. I stayed once at 2 Quail, with my wife, and once at Tullochard with a group of 4 golfers, both are fine, and I know there are a few small hotels and more B&Bs nearby. With Brora, Tain, Golspie, and Royal Dornoch, you've plenty of golf to keep you busy if you choose to stay outside of Inverness.

Oh, I have a full day planned at Gullane, just wanted to get some opinions on those three, as they are on the way from St A to East Lothian.

From the course sites and other photos, It looks like they lay out in this order of preference:

Elie

Lundin

Leven

But I was wondering if anyone had played them and could make a recommendation. My plan for that day is to either play Dumbarnie and one of them, or play two of the three. Or I may go the other way and spend the day at Carnoustie. Still piecing things together.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

That is an excellent rota.

Played them all. Let me know if you want to expand do hidden gems. Fraserburgh or Lossiemouth.

Have you played Castle Stuart, Cruden Bay, Murcar, or Panmure? I was looking at the routing with flying into Edinburgh then driving to Dornoch and basing out of there for 2 nights playing Brora, and Royal Dornock. Then driving down to play Castle Stuart on the way Cruden Bay. Stay in Cruden Bay for 3 days playing Cruden Bay, Murcar, and Royal Aberdeen. Then making my way down to play Panmure on my way to St. Andrews. Stay 2 nights in ST. Andrews playing TOC and The Castle Course. Then make my way down to Gullane and stay for 2 nights playing #1, and North Berwick. Then drivng back to Edinburgh and flying out the following day.

We played Levin last time we were there. It was not in very good shape. I am wanting the play the new course at Crail though. I have heard some good things about it. I believe it was done by Gil Hanse.

Absolutely would love to hear your comments and advice.

I've played Panmure a couple of times, I really enjoyed it. The holes nearest the clubhouse are relatively plain, but all of a sudden you come out into this rumpled landscape with a dozen really good golf holes not quite visible among the small dunes. I really recommend it.

But looking at your itinerary, you're looking at a ton of windshield time. You're looking at 4 hours or so from EDI to Dornoch, on the day of arrival after flying overnight. Then a few days later, 3-1/2 hours driving time from Dornoch to Cruden Bay, sandwiched around a round of golf. Cruden Bay to St Andrews may only be a couple of hours driving, but again sandwiched around a round of golf, and 2 hours more to get to Gullane. You could pick any two of those stopping points, instead of 4, and still have more than enough great golf.

• Like 1

Yeah, as usual I start out big and end up whittling down. Just so many great courses I want to play.... Prob a good chance we drop the St. Andrews leg and the Gulane leg and make that a trip for another time. REALLY want to play Cruden Bay.

Yep. Got a full day at Crail in the schedule, as well. The final day in Scotland will be at N. Berwick, which I am so excited to play. Basically, I'll be spending 4 days in/around St Andrews, then three in/around Gullane. I was supposed to be there starting this next weekend, and it's killing me to think I have to wait another year...

But it does mean I get another chance for a guaranteed time at TOC, which would make planning so much easier. As it is, I just have several days on the calendar as "TOC or other StA course" and will be winging it those days, even if that means queuing up at 0:Dark:30

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

For what its worth, I reckon it would be better to go North around the coast Carnoustie/Cruden Bay/Castle Stuart first and then play Royal Dornoch when you are adjusted to everything Scottish before dropping south back to St Andrews. Royal Dornoch is so special that it would be a pity to play it when you are very tired after a long drive. Also playing a few other courses en route will help the appreciation aspect.

• Like 2

Hope you get the advanced time. That would make the schedule much easier.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve played Carnoustie several times but I certainly could do Panmure, then make my way up to Aberdeen, for Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, and Cruden Bay. Stop off at Castle Stuart, Then finish up with Dornoch and Brora last.

Why so keen for Cruden Bay?Why not Trump? I am certainly anti Murcar, its one stupid golf course.

There is an on going joke that when the players at Murcar get to the 3rd green they look over to the 10th at RAGC and wish they were playing there instead.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Thanks for the advice. I will look into them.

Hey guys,

Thought I would drop in a very quick review of Dumbarnie Links from the weekend. I drove up from my home in Edinburgh on Saturday morning and it took me about 45 minutes. https://www.dumbarnielinks.com/

For those of you who maybe haven't seen this pop up on links golf media in Europe or the US, Dumbarnie is in Upper Largo in Fife, it's very near to Leven. The course was due to open for advance tee times in May but due to Covid19 that was pushed back. The club house construciton is also delayed but from what I saw at the weekend it's very close to being finished. Exec Summary - Dumbarnie is one of the finest new links courses I've played in the last 10 years, it's going to shoot striaght up the Scotland/UK rankings as it beds in. If you're in Fife it's really a must play and easily rivals Kingsbarns, Crail, The Castle and Elie.

Clive Clarke and his team had a fantastic piece of land to work with and they certainly made the best of it. There are similarities to Tump International but there are also markded differences. The thing I like the most was the modern approach to routing agaisnt some classic links design. There are several risk reward holes with dual fairways and it really tries to move away from bomb and gouge golf. The 15th was my perosnal favourite. You step onto a par 5 having pulled driver (automatically) only to see there are big decisions to be made. I opted for an iron from the tee to make it a 3 shot approach but admired how it demanded a stragegy from the player.

Course condition was excellent, the greens surfaces were immaculate. On the periphery of the holes and round the larger dune complexes, due to the movement of the earth there is still some settling to be done. It's not the fully finished product, but most of us will know that bedding in takes 3-5yrs. There is a range of tees on offer and this weekend there were 3 sets laid out. We played a combinaiton of the Blues and Blacks for a totaly yardarge of just under 7000. Playing the blues alone would have been 6400ish. The Championship tees would provide a very serious test, especially in the 10-15mph winds we had. As an example the Champ tees on 15 make the hole 608yds instead of 545yds.

I've attached a few pictures, though the sea fog didnt make for postcard picture taking and visibility wasn't fantastic until the mid day heat chased away some clouds. The website has some great content and I'd encourage any visiting golfers to take a look. My club in St Andews are making a trip later next month and I'm going to go back for another crack at it.

img-20200613-114841-01.jpeg

img-20200613-121129-01.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow very jealous, I have not seen a bad review yet from here.

Iona Stephen on Instagram seems to be playing it also and puts lots of vids up.

Are the Fairways Royal Aberdeen wide or TrumpAberdeen wide? first pic looks more narrow and second look wide.... trying to see if it's a modern or tradition links feel.

This thread always makes me want to play links golf bad!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

The fairways are a real mix. I scouted the very back tips tees on more than half of the holes, so they're wide at the layup areas and more narrow at the aggressive landing spots. There's a lot more room for a miss than at Royal Aberdeen I can tell you that for sure. For a really new course I was shocked at just how solid, true and well rolling the greens were. Only air mailed wedges left a pitch mark and from above the hole there could be some real butt clenching knee knockers. I've called out above that it's a modern links, and that stems mainly from the ability with machinery to create and adept elevation. Classic or traditional links courses are just laid out to however the land was. Trump International and Dumbarnie are not like that, and I love it, there's more dramatic scenery, rises and drops. I played Muirfield last summer and it was a very special round, but without the history and the tradition, it's a very very flat course. If i was being especially mean, it could be described as dull in some parts.

There's been a boat load of Pros up to Upper Largo of late and they've all been really complimentary, but they probably didn't pay to play. I parted with £115 ($142) of my own money, which isn't cheap and I think it was worth it for exposure to top tier links golf, a course that I think will host tournaments in the future. It's worth noting that full rack rate is £235 ($290).

I couldn't justify £235 for a brand new course with a few decent reviews. £115 initial introductory offer would seem more sensible to me that increases to the lofty heights of Kingsbarns et al in a few years time once it gains the reputation to deserve the price tag. It's a no from me. Presumably it's a course where there are no membership options?