Best Public Courses within 1.5 hours of Boston

youngun87

Not a huge GL fan, but in terms of conditions, not much better close to Boston. In Waltham, you have some closer mediocre options in Sandy Burr, Wayland, and Leo J Martin. All are within 15 minutes of edges of Waltham, but all are typically in poor shape. That being said, Leo J and Sandy Burr are Donald Ross designs...

You cannot possibly call Leo J mediocre. That is an insult to mediocrity.

Leo J is awful. Borderline not even golf.

Also no evidence that it was designed by Donald Ross, despite what the t-shirts in the “pro shop” say...

It’s better than a driving range, and there are no stupid houses around it.

You think better than a driving range? The range at least has new mats to hit off of...

Enjoy the next episode of Shotmakers.?

Leo J is out, ...

Off with his head!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo J is out, how about George Wright?

I am a big fan of George Wright. It is beloved by the GCA set, but I think it is actually well deserved. BUT, it is still a muni and conditioning is generally hit or miss. I would personally pick George Wright over Granite Links every single day

Not a huge GL fan, but in terms of conditions, not much better close to Boston. In Waltham, you have some closer mediocre options in Sandy Burr, Wayland, and Leo J Martin. All are within 15 minutes of edges of Waltham, but all are typically in poor shape. That being said, Leo J and Sandy Burr are Donald Ross designs...

Also no evidence that it was designed by Donald Ross, despite what the t-shirts in the "pro shop" say...

I was trying to be kind by calling it mediocre, but I won't disagree with you. The best part about Leo J. is cross country skiing (actually, the new range isn't half bad if you're OK with hitting of turf).

Hadn't realized it wasn't a documented Ross course - thanks for sharing

I am a big fan of George Wright. It is beloved by the GCA set, but I think it is actually well deserved. BUT, it is still a muni and conditioning is generally hit or miss. I would personally pick George Wright over Granite Links every single day

Also no evidence that it was designed by Donald Ross, despite what the t-shirts in the "pro shop" say...

I was trying to be kind by calling it mediocre, but I won't disagree with you. The best part about Leo J. is cross country skiing (actually, the new range isn't half bad if you're OK with hitting of turf).

Haven't played GW but I do think granite links is EXTREMELY overrated.

Haven't played GW but I do think granite links is EXTREMELY overrated.

Live ten minutes from GL would rather play Pinehills and drive 45 minutes

Seems like George Wright is the play. TPC Boston just punched the greens last week. GW has not yet.

Anybody who punched in the last couple of weeks is dealing with some pretty significant winter damage - it’s not a typical maintenance procedure to punch this early, but a lot of supers are trying to bring their greens back from a brutal late winter.

Design-wise, Leo J has the finest back 9 in Boston. Public or private.

Uh. What's your favorite hole? The dead flat and straight Par 3 10th? The 290 yard straight, flat Par 4 11th? The 250 yard(!) Par 3 12th?

I'll give you that the two Par 5's (16 and 18) are entertaining holes. And 17 is "fun" but not good (for those keeping score at home, it's a blind, drivable Par 4).

But it's the worst back nine in Newton, Wellesley, and Weston (the three towns it meanders through) combined.

Design-wise, Leo J has the finest back 9 in Boston. Public or private.

Uh. What's your favorite hole? The dead flat and straight Par 3 10th? The 290 yard straight, flat Par 4 11th? The 250 yard(!) Par 3 12th?

I'll give you that the two Par 5's (16 and 18) are entertaining holes. And 17 is "fun" but not good (for those keeping score at home, it's a blind, drivable Par 4).

But it's the worst back nine in Newton, Wellesley, and Weston (the three towns it meanders through) combined.

I'm sort of joking. I will just be riding hard for Leo until my dying day because it's basically where I learned to play the game. That being said, 10 is not a good hole. 11 is fun in match play or any sort of gambling situation. I personally think there is something interesting about 11 and 12 playing roughly the same distance back to back at different pars and what that does to people's approach to those holes. Not sure how many times you've played Leo, but I can't even tell you how many times I have seen people hit an iron or hybrid on 11, pitch up, and make a 3, then turn around on 12, a hole that plays almost the same, and try to crack a driver up there on the green and make 5 or worse. 13, 14, & 15 are all good and strategically interesting holes that force you to make a decision on the tee and live or die with it. And 16 and 18 are good tough par 5s that can make or break a round in the closing stretch. I'll give you that 17 isn't a great hole, but I also haven't seen many people actually hit that green from the tee. I think I heard they shortened it, and made it a par 3 though to speed up play (not sure as I haven't been back in a while). So that being said, maybe not actually the best back 9 in the metro west, but I think with better conditioning and not taking 6 or 7 hours to play, people would think differently about it. Truly there's no way you think the back 9 at Newton Commonwealth is better though, c'mon man!

edit: are they really selling t-shirts in the pro shop saying it's a Ross design???

I'm sort of joking. I will just be riding hard for Leo until my dying day because it's basically where I learned to play the game. That being said, 10 is not a good hole. 11 is fun in match play or any sort of gambling situation. I personally think there is something interesting about 11 and 12 playing roughly the same distance back to back at different pars and what that does to people's approach to those holes. Not sure how many times you've played Leo, but I can't even tell you how many times I have seen people hit an iron or hybrid on 11, pitch up, and make a 3, then turn around on 12, a hole that plays almost the same, and try to crack a driver up there on the green and make 5 or worse. 13, 14, & 15 are all good and strategically interesting holes that force you to make a decision on the tee and live or die with it. And 16 and 18 are good tough par 5s that can make or break a round in the closing stretch. I'll give you that 17 isn't a great hole, but I also haven't seen many people actually hit that green from the tee. I think I heard they shortened it, and made it a par 3 though to speed up play (not sure as I haven't been back in a while). So that being said, maybe not actually the best back 9 in the metro west, but I think with better conditioning and not taking 6 or 7 hours to play, people would think differently about it. Truly there's no way you think the back 9 at Newton Commonwealth is better though, c'mon man!

edit: are they really selling t-shirts in the pro shop saying it's a Ross design???

I've played the Leo J more times than I care to admit. But it's cheap. It's convenient (for me). And if I drive by and nobody's on the course, I'll sneak out for $10 or whatever the greens fee is these days.

But even if we ignore conditioning...

10 is a bad hole.

11 is a bad (but fun-ish) hole.

12 is a bad hole.

13 is a bad hole (the fairway cant from right-to-left just makes it super awkward).

14 is a reasonable golf hole. Put a fairway bunker in and maybe some greenside protection and you'd have a real golf hole.

15 is a bad hole (350 yards, dead straight, weird blind approach).

16 is actually a 'decent' hole. All world compared to the rest of the 9.

17 is bad but fun.

18 is miserable - a Par 5 where you can't really hit driver, can't really hit a reasonable second shot, just have to work yourself around the bend.

The worst of it is that as a busy muni, you've got people waiting for greens to clear on 10, 11, 12, 15 and 17. It's just a setup for a 3 hour nine.

And yes, they're really selling "Designed by Donald Ross" t-shirts in the "pro shop" (or at least they were last year).

I've played the Leo J more times than I care to admit. But it's cheap. It's convenient (for me). And if I drive by and nobody's on the course, I'll sneak out for $10 or whatever the greens fee is these days.

But even if we ignore conditioning...

10 is a bad hole.

11 is a bad (but fun-ish) hole.

12 is a bad hole.

13 is a bad hole (the fairway cant from right-to-left just makes it super awkward).

14 is a reasonable golf hole. Put a fairway bunker in and maybe some greenside protection and you'd have a real golf hole.

15 is a bad hole (350 yards, dead straight, weird blind approach).

16 is actually a 'decent' hole. All world compared to the rest of the 9.

17 is bad but fun.

18 is miserable - a Par 5 where you can't really hit driver, can't really hit a reasonable second shot, just have to work yourself around the bend.

The worst of it is that as a busy muni, you've got people waiting for greens to clear on 10, 11, 12, 15 and 17. It's just a setup for a 3 hour nine.

And yes, they're really selling "Designed by Donald Ross" t-shirts in the "pro shop" (or at least they were last year).

I'm almost too excited to get into the minutiae of Leo J so i'll try to show some restraint. When I think about a "bad" golf hole, I take that to mean that it doesn't sufficiently reward great play, and doesn't necessarily penalize bad shots very much. That's basically the whole front 9 at Leo J aside from like #3. 12 is not a bad hole, it's just long from the back tees. Being short of the green is a pretty straightforward up and down, but obviously being a par 3 it's tempting to try to get it up there. Again, I don't think it's bad, it's just hard. The fairway on 13 flattens out on the left side, but taking it that direction obviously brings death into play. If you do go up the right side you have an awkward hooking approach to a green where left is not good. I don't think it's a bad hole, I think it forces you to hit two good shots to make a 4, and two really really good shots to make something better. IMO 14 doesn't need any hazards, just better conditioned rough. But you can cut some of the length off the hole by going along the tree line on the right. The main defense is that the green is tiny so if you're hitting a longer iron is can be a tough ask. 15 doesn't have to be blind. You can leave it on the top tier and see at least half of the flagstick (depending on where it is), but you'll have like 70-100 yards more than if you hit a drive into the swale and take the blind shot. 18, like some of these other holes, just forces you to make a decision about what you're gonna do and stick to your plan. The second shot is really hard, and it's the only par 5 there i've never hit in 2 (or seen anybody else hit in 2), but I don't think that makes it bad.

At least we agree about 10 not being good :). Other than that I think it's a fun side of golf besides the condition and how long it takes to play. I'm gonna have to try to track down one of those shirts next time I'm there.

I'm not sure which is worse

1. This Leo J debate in general, or

2. The fact you two have played it enough to have this debate...

And when can you fly around Leo J? I drive by that course 2x per day and the place always seems crowded

The worst is that despite having the ability to play a perfectly conditioned private course, I still end up playing multiple rounds a year at Leo J. Masochism.

There are times that it's not busy. Early morning. Some random mid-days. You can catch it right.

I'm almost too excited to get into the minutiae of Leo J so i'll try to show some restraint. When I think about a "bad" golf hole, I take that to mean that it doesn't sufficiently reward great play, and doesn't necessarily penalize bad shots very much. That's basically the whole front 9 at Leo J aside from like #3. 12 is not a bad hole, it's just long from the back tees. Being short of the green is a pretty straightforward up and down, but obviously being a par 3 it's tempting to try to get it up there. Again, I don't think it's bad, it's just hard. The fairway on 13 flattens out on the left side, but taking it that direction obviously brings death into play. If you do go up the right side you have an awkward hooking approach to a green where left is not good. I don't think it's a bad hole, I think it forces you to hit two good shots to make a 4, and two really really good shots to make something better. IMO 14 doesn't need any hazards, just better conditioned rough. But you can cut some of the length off the hole by going along the tree line on the right. The main defense is that the green is tiny so if you're hitting a longer iron is can be a tough ask. 15 doesn't have to be blind. You can leave it on the top tier and see at least half of the flagstick (depending on where it is), but you'll have like 70-100 yards more than if you hit a drive into the swale and take the blind shot. 18, like some of these other holes, just forces you to make a decision about what you're gonna do and stick to your plan. The second shot is really hard, and it's the only par 5 there i've never hit in 2 (or seen anybody else hit in 2), but I don't think that makes it bad.

At least we agree about 10 not being good :). Other than that I think it's a fun side of golf besides the condition and how long it takes to play. I'm gonna have to try to track down one of those shirts next time I'm there.

11 and 12 are both sort of Par 3.5 holes. If you birdie 11, it doesn't feel like any great accomplishment, and you can hit four pretty good shots and walk off 12 with a bogey not feeling badly about yourself. Neither are really good holes. Just hit three straightforward shots and walk off.

13 is probably one of the better holes, and that's not saying much. At least it usually has grass on the fairway. It's a tough tee shot and leaves you (likely) with an awkward second. But still, you're talking about a hole that you can easily play 3W / 7i and walk off with Par. Then you have to walk half a mile over the river and through the woods to 14 tee.

For the past couple of years, 14 has been hardpack dirt for the entire length of the hole. Zero grass. Maybe a patch of clover here and there. It's hard to imagine how this hole would play if it actually had any "conditioning" at all. But it could be a reasonable hole. The small green isn't enough, because it's too easy to get up-and-down on the Leo J greens. They're so slow, you can pitch anything to stop on a dime.

The blind shot into 15, no thanks. You're right, if you play it carefully, you *might* be able to see the top of the flagstick as you hit your second. You never get a look at the green. I suspect that in 1936, the play was to try to land it short on the downslope and roll onto the green, but that's not happening with current conditions.

Then you walk a mile to 16 tee. I've got no problem with 16. That's a fun Par 5.

17 we agree on. Fun but stupid hole.

18 has no redeeming values. You just hit three good shots with long irons and then putt.

It's such a lousy course. And yet, I play there so much...

I'm not sure which is worse

1. This Leo J debate in general, or

2. The fact you two have played it enough to have this debate...

And when can you fly around Leo J? I drive by that course 2x per day and the place always seems crowded

The worst is that despite having the ability to play a perfectly conditioned private course, I still end up playing multiple rounds a year at Leo J. Masochism.

There are times that it's not busy. Early morning. Some random mid-days. You can catch it right.

11 and 12 are both sort of Par 3.5 holes. If you birdie 11, it doesn't feel like any great accomplishment, and you can hit four pretty good shots and walk off 12 with a bogey not feeling badly about yourself. Neither are really good holes. Just hit three straightforward shots and walk off.

13 is probably one of the better holes, and that's not saying much. At least it usually has grass on the fairway. It's a tough tee shot and leaves you (likely) with an awkward second. But still, you're talking about a hole that you can easily play 3W / 7i and walk off with Par. Then you have to walk half a mile over the river and through the woods to 14 tee.

For the past couple of years, 14 has been hardpack dirt for the entire length of the hole. Zero grass. Maybe a patch of clover here and there. It's hard to imagine how this hole would play if it actually had any "conditioning" at all. But it could be a reasonable hole. The small green isn't enough, because it's too easy to get up-and-down on the Leo J greens. They're so slow, you can pitch anything to stop on a dime.

The blind shot into 15, no thanks. You're right, if you play it carefully, you *might* be able to see the top of the flagstick as you hit your second. You never get a look at the green. I suspect that in 1936, the play was to try to land it short on the downslope and roll onto the green, but that's not happening with current conditions.

Then you walk a mile to 16 tee. I've got no problem with 16. That's a fun Par 5.

17 we agree on. Fun but stupid hole.

18 has no redeeming values. You just hit three good shots with long irons and then putt.

It's such a lousy course. And yet, I play there so much...

At the end of the day I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. The conditioning has always been so bad that it's hard to know how any of the holes should really play. All I'm saying is that the bones are there on the back for a pretty fun and challenging 9 holes of golf. As I said before, it's hard for me to pass up an opportunity to mount a vigorous defense of Leo.

10 years ago you could zip around on the weekdays mid-morning or early afternoon, but real life gets in the way of being able to do that now. I don't know why you'd ever play there if you had access to any private course in the area though haha. As kids we'd typically take our chances sneaking on at Brae Burn or Wellesley and then revert to Leo for a second 18 or after getting booted. FWIW the nickname established by the former pro at Leo J. was "The Boneyard" or "The Bone" because it's where golf came to die. If I could get a The Boneyard designed by Donald Ross shirt, I'd wear it everyday.

George Wright was a fun track. I only got to play 12 holes but I was able to appreciate the course layout. Greens were tricky!

They can really make that course special if they put money into it!

You were brave to go out in the rain yesterday...I imagine the first hole at GW was a bit of a swamp.

George Wright is legitimately a very good routing with "good" muni maintenance. The layout itself is entirely capable of being among the best, but the conditioning is always going to hold it back some. With perfect conditioning, it would be a very very good course (though I do find 13/14/15/16 to be relatively weak holes).

George Wright was a fun track. I only got to play 12 holes but I was able to appreciate the course layout. Greens were tricky!

They can really make that course special if they put money into it!

You were brave to go out in the rain yesterday...I imagine the first hole at GW was a bit of a swamp.

George Wright is legitimately a very good routing with "good" muni maintenance. The layout itself is entirely capable of being among the best, but the conditioning is always going to hold it back some. With perfect conditioning, it would be a very very good course (though I do find 13/14/15/16 to be relatively weak holes).

I was there on Tuesday

So admittedly my frame of reference is a bit dated, in that I haven't actually played Leo J since probably 2002... but I will say EVERY time I drive by (which is generally daily), the place seems packed (morning and night). My wife plays it with her friends from time to time and her 3 hour 9 hole experiences would further lead to my impression of it being crowded

That being said, if you're ever going to take the plunge and play one day, let me know - I'll join you. I should probably refresh my opinion of the place given my criticism here (and elsewhere)

As someone who has been tortured playing public courses in the metro west / greater Boston zip codes (Leo J, Sandy Burr, Wayland, sassamon, maplegate)....the only two golf courses that I avoid are freshpond ( home of the near 4 hour weekend 9) and Leo J Dirtpatch.

Maybe we should get a golf wrx terrible MA muni course tour going. Might be a good way to meet fellow NE wrx’ers

As someone who has been tortured playing public courses in the metro west / greater Boston zip codes (Leo J, Sandy Burr, Wayland, sassamon, maplegate)....the only two golf courses that I avoid are freshpond ( home of the near 4 hour weekend 9) and Leo J Dirtpatch.

Maybe we should get a golf wrx terrible MA muni course tour going. Might be a good way to meet fellow NE wrx'ers

Now we're talking. Maybe hold a tournament the same week as the Ouimet? They play TCC, we play Lynch. They play Brae Burn, we play Newton Commonwealth. They play Woodland, we play Leo. I think this idea has merit.

Maybe we should get a golf wrx terrible MA muni course tour going. Might be a good way to meet fellow NE wrx'ers

Now we're talking. Maybe hold a tournament the same week as the Ouimet? They play TCC, we play Lynch. They play Brae Burn, we play Newton Commonwealth. They play Woodland, we play Leo. I think this idea has merit.

OMT is at Concord Country Club and Woodland; so Leo J is in the mix, but I can't think of a suitable dirtpatch in greater Concord...

• 2 weeks later...