2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

San Francisco to Monterey Trip Report

Argonne69

Arg, did you ever snap some of Poppy Hills? I have never seen the Weiskopf complete remodel and was curious. fwiw that course in it's original form (and even after it had several previous tweaks done here and there) had the dubious distinction as the least popular of the NCGA tournament venues.

Arg, did you ever snap some of Poppy Hills? I have never seen the Weiskopf complete remodel and was curious. fwiw that course in it's original form (and even after it had several previous tweaks done here and there) had the dubious distinction as the least popular of the NCGA tournament venues.

Yeah, PH here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1514970-san-francisco-to-monterey-trip-report/page__st__120?do=findComment&comment=15910020. It was foggy to start the morning, so the handful on the front 9 don't have a lot of detail.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

This is really good stuff! Thanks for the pictures.

Will be there in October. Playing Pebble, Pasatiempo, and probably HM Bay Old Course.

Have played Pebble, Spanish Bay, Spylass, and HM Bay Ocean on a previous trip. Your reviews were all pretty much spot on with what I thought except for Spanish Bay. Just didn't care for it at all.

Argonne69: awesome report & photos. What's your next trip? Scotland? Wisconsin?

Kenny Lee Puckett: the Poppy Hills website says that the Robert Trent Jones Jr design firm did the redesign starting in March 2013 (not Weiskopf).

I played Poppy Hills in 2010 - it was okay. When I played it five months ago, it's much better, especially the front nine. The fairways (even after a wet spring) were firm & fast - the greens very good.

As for Poppy Hills being the least popular of the NCGA tournament venues, can't comment.

If you're thinking about the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am courses, then it's perhaps understandable that Poppy Hills was the weakest, when the other courses in the modern era were Pebble Beach, Spyglass Hill, MPCC (Shore & Dunes), & Cypress Point.

I'll be taking a shorter trip this Labor Day weekend, and winter trips in December, January, and February as usual to a warmer local down south. 'Not sure about my summer trip for next year, but I may head up to the Pacific Northwest, and try to play Chambers Bay. I'm also mulling over a trip to Scotland in 2019 to possibly play St. Andrews as my 500th course played. If anything can top Pebble for my 400th, it would be St. Andrews.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

great report, Arg.

Glad that your day at PB was special for the 400th course.

Thanks for the reviews and the photos.

Would love to do a similar trip.

My wife and I were in the area staying near Seaside in Fort Ord at a community stables.

We trailered from Bay Area down to LA.

I remember the morning fog.

We enjoyed riding horses at Fort Ord and up at Moss Landing's beach.

No golf on that trip (obviously).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Hey if you're going to Chambers Bay, I have vouchers for the course that, if I remember correctly. Are for a $75 round (regular $350 I believe). We played there after the US Open and they were attached to our receipts. If you're interested, I have no issue working with you and the course to prove they are legit. I'd like to sell them off as I am up in Canada and won't be heading down there just to use them up. Let me know! I guess this goes for anyone that reads this reply. Thanks!

Argonne,

Have you ever ventured down to West Lafayette, IN? I am playing Harrison Hills CC and Coyote Crossing next month. Last year we played the 2 Purdue courses, which were both great.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Argonne,

Have you ever ventured down to West Lafayette, IN? I am playing Harrison Hills CC and Coyote Crossing next month. Last year we played the 2 Purdue courses, which were both great.

I was planning a trip to Lafayette this past Memorial Day, but changed my mind and went to Ann Arbor instead to catch the LPGA Volvik Championship. I'll likely head to Lafayette this Labor Day. The Purdue courses are on the agenda, as well as 3 or 4 other ones that look decent, including Coyote Crossing. I played Harrison Hills two years ago on the way back from a trip to Cincinnati.

You are welcome to join me on Aug 13th, a buddy is meeting me, he is driving down from Chi-town

Are you going to LPGA in Indy?? I'll be there on day, my first LpGA tourney

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

You are welcome to join me on Aug 13th, a buddy is meeting me, he is driving down from Chi-town

Are you going to LPGA in Indy?? I'll be there on day, my first LpGA tourney

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be in Boston on August 13th. I was thinking about the Indy event this year, but I'll likely hit it next season, along with the KPMG at Kemper Lakes here in Chicago.

OK, time for a wrap up. Again, thanks for the tips everyone! The NCGA membership saved me a bundle, although I'm now getting some serious spam from them. Lol. The trip was a great success. There were a few hiccups, but overall it went better than I expected. My body managed to hold up...barely. I thought I would play yesterday at home, but my back was telling me to give it another few days. Besides, after a week in the cool, low-humidity weather, walking 18 on a hot, muggy day would have been brutal.

I thought the golf was fantastic for the most part, although there were some disappointments. I guess that's why you have to play the course, and not simply read the reviews. I'd rank the nine courses as follows:

1) Pebble Beach: What can I say? It exceeded my expectations. As noted, maybe I lowered my expectations because I've read numerous reviews that poo-pooed the back nine. OK, I'll accept that they aren't in the same league as the oceanfront holes, but most of them still have a peek at the ocean, or a 7 figure house. If PB was a nine hole course consisting of the ocean holes, I'd still pony up the $495 to play it once. Pace of play was a non-issue, as I was soaking in the views. My caddie Jere was a big help in keeping me distracted from the slow pace. In a nutshell, Pebble Beach isn't just about hitting a ball. It's really about the whole experience starting from the 17 Mile drive right through to drinks at The Bench. Plan on a mid-day round, but spend the entire day there.

2) Presidio: I'm a bit surprised by this one. The course was a treat to look at, and a real challenge. The large pines, sidehill lies, and tricky greens. The $106 green fee was a bargain. On the negative side, having cart path only 150 yards and in was a pain. The closing hole was a bit of a snoozer.

3) Pasatiempo: Course alone I'd put it at #2, but the $270 rate drops it down a notch, and almost two. It's a very solid test of golf. The bunkering is fantastic. The greens are fast and tricky. A number of elevated tees really opens the course before you. However, the surrounding views are bland, and few holes are rather uninteresting, e.g. #6 and #17. The closing two holes are meh. 17 is plain boring, and the 18th is a par 3. 'Not the ideal closing hole.

4) Poppy Hills: This one was close to Pasatiempo. A solid layout with great bunkering, and fast, tricky greens. It was rough around the edges, which was fine by me. If price is an issue, then I'd pick this over Pasatiempo. At $100 with NCGA discount, it's a bargain. The par 3's need more spice, though.

5) The Links at Spanish Bay: Of the two "links" courses, I felt this one was the better of the two. The handful of inland holes weren't great, but the majority of the course is played along the ocean, and has great views. It was a bit too wet for true links, but it wasn't too far off. Hit your ball too far from the fairway, and you'll be hacking out of the junk. 'Nice. Conditions were a little spotty, but nothing that really affected play. I don't think I'd play it again at the full $340 rate, but with the NCGA discount, I'd play it again.

6) Half Moon Bay Ocean: OK, it's a fairly easy resort course, especially if the wind isn't blowing. The turf was way too wet due to overwatering. If you're going to have a "links" course, you have to let it dry out a bit. However, the views are top notch. The finishing 3 holes aren't fantastic, but they pretty darn good.

7) Spyglass: 'Just didn't do it for me. C'mon, the course costs close to $500. Even with the $230 discounted rate I felt it was overpriced. Yes, it was in excellent shape, and overall it's a decent layout. However, there was simply no "Wow!" moment. The opening holes are cool, but once it turns inland it's no better than numerous other pine tree lined courses I've played at 1/4 the cost. The 17th and 18th were boring closing holes. If I'm paying over $200, I want a few "Wow"'s, e.g. Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Pacific Dunes, Pelican Hill South, Kiawah Island.

😎 TPC Harding Park: The course was in excellent shape, but let's face it, it's a glorified muni. Most of the holes felt the same. Only a few were memorable. If they charged $70, I'd certainly play it a few times a year if I lived in the area. However, at $170 for an out-of-towner it's easily skipped.

9) Half Moon Bay Old: The layout itself isn't that bad. The back nine is better than the front. However, at $150 it left me wanting. A lot. Value is an important aspect for me, and I felt I seriously overpaid for the course. At home, this is a $60 - $70 course.

Edit: Full photo set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6zao1d9p4b1lwnb/AACIkU022r8zyl8Z-Hy6VF1Xa?dl=0

Edited by Argonne69

'No problem. I get a ton of value from reading others' reviews and trip reports. I'm glad to contribute.

I'd still like to know why there was so much cart-path-only in the area. Sure, they get a lot of rounds, but so does every other resort-style course in the country. The temperatures were moderate, and the conditions didn't look too wet. Am I correct to assume it's a simple attempt to push caddie services? I definitely left a number of shots out there on the course due to having the wrong club(s) in my hand, and being to lazy to walk back to the cart. I rarely play cart path only courses, so it's probably a case of not knowing that one should simply grab 5 or more clubs, and then struggle to keep the grips dry in the wet, early morning dew.

'No problem. I get a ton of value from reading others' reviews and trip reports. I'm glad to contribute.

I'd still like to know why there was so much cart-path-only in the area. Sure, they get a lot of rounds, but so does every other resort-style course in the country. The temperatures were moderate, and the conditions didn't look too wet. Am I correct to assume it's a simple attempt to push caddie services? I definitely left a number of shots out there on the course due to having the wrong club(s) in my hand, and being to lazy to walk back to the cart. I rarely play cart path only courses, so it's probably a case of not knowing that one should simply grab 5 or more clubs, and then struggle to keep the grips dry in the wet, early morning dew.

Other than Pebble, remind me again which courses were cart path only.

Great question! Looks like my dad are going next year and need to see what courses we will be walking/ riding/ cart path only. I know we will be walkign pebble beach with a caddie!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Pebble and Spyglass have always been cart path only. Lots of people that I know will walk Spyglass with a push cart. Poppy Hills went under a complete renovation in 2013 and re-opened in 2014. Poppy is going to start testing being able to drive on the fairways in August. Spanish Bay used to always let you drive on the fairway until we had the severe drought a few years ago. When we played Spanish Bay last Saturday I talked to one of the employees and he told me that because some areas of the fairways are still very brown it will stay cart path only for a while. Spanish Bay is a very walkable course with a push cart and with cart path only I always carry every club that I may need.

Presidio was CPO from 150 yards and in. Harding Park, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and Poppy Hills were all CPO.

Great question! Looks like my dad are going next year and need to see what courses we will be walking/ riding/ cart path only. I know we will be walkign pebble beach with a caddie!

A caddie at Pebble is definitely the way to go.

Walking Spyglass would be tough. Spanish Bay would be a much easier walk, as would Poppy Hills.

I generally walk at home with my ClicGear. However, I take an electric cart when I'm on vacation and playing 2 rounds a day, or multiple rounds over several days. I walked Harding Park due to the CPO, and even though it was fairly flat it was tough because I had played in the morning, and there was no water on the course.

That reminds me, WTF is with no water on the course? I've played over 400 courses now, and I can count the number of courses that don't have water out there on one hand.

Walking Spyglass would be tough. Spanish Bay would be a much easier walk, as would Poppy Hills.

I generally walk at home with my ClicGear. However, I take an electric cart when I'm on vacation and playing 2 rounds a day, or multiple rounds over several days. I walked Harding Park due to the CPO, and even though it was fairly flat it was tough because I had played in the morning, and there was no water on the course.

That reminds me, WTF is with no water on the course? I've played over 400 courses now, and I can count the number of courses that don't have water out there on one hand.

Plus with you spending $170 on the course that would be the least they could do.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

In my review of HMB Old I didn't mention my playing partner, Raj. We got paired up on the 1st tee, and we find out that we grew up a few miles from each other. We went to different high schools, but in the same district. He's currently living in the western suburbs of Chicago, a few miles from where I had a house in the 90's. We had lots to chat about. Raj was a great guy, and a bogie golfer. He was intent on breaking 90, which he had failed to do on his last round at the Old course. A little "coaching" on my part, mostly mental and course management stuff, and he manages to shoot 89 with a closing bogie. It really made his day, and mine as well. When one's game isn't quite there, it's nice to see someone play well and reach a goal.

Even if I had an electric cart for every course that you played in six days, I never would have been able to finish and I probably would have had a hard time walking!

No water on the course is crazy and should never happen! It's even worse if there's no one driving around in the snack cart to see if anyone needs anything. At Spanish Bay this past weekend we saw the snack cart a least six times during our round. What was really nice was that while we were eating a post-round meal at Stick's the bag piper came out and start playing multiple songs on the #1 tee box which was really nice.

In my review of HMB Old I didn't mention my playing partner, Raj. We got paired up on the 1st tee, and we find out that we grew up a few miles from each other. We went to different high schools, but in the same district. He's currently living in the western suburbs of Chicago, a few miles from where I had a house in the 90's. We had lots to chat about. Raj was a great guy, and a bogie golfer. He was intent on breaking 90, which he had failed to do on his last round at the Old course. A little "coaching" on my part, mostly mental and course management stuff, and he manages to shoot 89 with a closing bogie. It really made his day, and mine as well. When one's game isn't quite there, it's nice to see someone play well and reach a goal.

What a small world and good story. Really nice of you to help Raj and that he made his goal of breaking 90.

Even if I had an electric cart for every course that you played in six days, I never would have been able to finish and I probably would have had a hard time walking!

No water on the course is crazy and should never happen! It's even worse if there's no one driving around in the snack cart to see if anyone needs anything. At Spanish Bay this past weekend we saw the snack cart a least six times during our round. What was really nice was that while we were eating a post-round meal at Stick's the bag piper came out and start playing multiple songs on the #1 tee box which was really nice.

My record was 9 rounds in 5 days in south central Wisconsin in 2014, which included walking Erin Hills on the first day (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1039871-wisconsin-circle-tour/). A tough stretch of golf, but I survived. Last year I drove across Nebraska from Omaha to Denver, with a side trip to the Sand Hills area, and played 10 rounds in 6 days (http://www.golfwrx.c...-nebraska-trip/). By comparison, this was a cakewalk. At least I got to sleep in the same hotel for 4 nights straight. :golfer:

They had a beverage cart at Harding Park, but it was rarely seen. I saw it on the 3rd hole, but still had water at the time, so took a pass. Didn't see it again on the remainder of the front. I filled my water bottle at the turn, which lasted 3 holes the back nine, and didn't see the cart until the 17th green, after I had called the pro shop to send it out.

This golf trip was my 58th. I generally try to create a thread for each one. Here are a few recent ones. 'Not sure if all the links are still active on the site.

Mesquite/St George: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1472332-mesquite-st-george-trip-report/

North Central Illinois: http://www.golfwrx.c...r-memorial-day/

Southern Mississippi: http://www.golfwrx.c...pi-trip-report/

Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus: http://www.golfwrx.c...us-trip-report/

Austin: http://www.golfwrx.c...n-mid-december/

South Central Wisconsin: http://www.golfwrx.c...in-circle-tour/

Orlando to Jacksonville: http://www.golfwrx.c...le-in-february/