2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get tradition and everything, but not everything is sacred. I think the runner up trophy presentation could maybe go away.

"and introducing, 1st loser, Matt Kuchar."

Couldn't agree more!!

I can see giving out the low Am medal/trophy however next they're gonna be giving out televised participation trophies, lmao

This is what I love about you Gals/Guys across the pond and that is that all this "everyone's great" and "everyone's a winner" crap hasn't infected your society, lol

Us???

We're doomed, lmao

Take care Bro

RP

Quite the opposite nowadays in many regards, especially sports. Kids' sports are a vicious bloodbath now. Parents make them train year-round, drive 10-year-olds hundreds of miles for soccer tournaments or whatever, and fight with coaches and referees. Win-at-all-costs to receive that elusive scholarship. Whereas, back in my day, we played sports mostly for fun.

(sorry, that lazy stereotype is a pet peeve of mine)

lol. Jordan, please, recklessly hurry your shot after taking a drop and getting a ruling down the stretch in a major. It's for the children.

FFS some of you guys are just not thinking clearly.

I truly have no dog in the fight, but 20 minutes is too long. There's just no real way to justify it from any angle.

That's like saying your heart surgery " took too long " but was a complete success. Sometimes a ruling talkes as long as it takes. Virtually no way to speed it up and get it right.

The real reason the drop took so long....(blame Titleist)

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

Anyone who hates Spieth after that must have a miserable life. Seriously dont envy that situation

I don't think people actually HATE him... Maybe dislike his slow play or other things, but hate is a strong word!

After reading this thread this morning, I'm not so sure about that. After all, at least one person got put in time out.

How many fairways has speith hit in the final round ?

Doesn't matter. GIRs matter. Spieth lapped the field in GIRs.

Pathetic rough , and trampled dunes further wide

Would not have had the chance to hit GIR

I miss how golf was in the late 90s when if you missed the fairway is was a question of hacking it back to the fairway

Sort of happens when over quarter of a million come!

Horrible Driver. Good iron player, great chipper, great sand player, excellent putter. Sound like anyone else? The only difference is he is much shorter than Tiger ever was but just as wild (except for a 2 year aberration for tiger). He is a better bunker player than Tiger was (tiger did get better later). I think the only up to date clubs Jordan uses are Titleist wedges and a T-MB. Maybe he will switch to 718AP2s 2 months before 720AP2s are released..

Not sure which is harder to play with a very slow polite player or a player who constantly using the F word, spitting a Lugee after every bad shot including on greens, throwing clubs. Not sure which is more distracting, both could disrupt the flow of golfers. As I recall neither golfer was or is slammed by their playing partners. Maybe being polite helps as Ben Crane and Rory Sabatini both got their share of grief for slow play. On the other hand I can't see it affecting Kucher, maybe a Poulter or a Keegan Bradley type, but Kuch is too low key.

Yeah, seve! If he becomes half as good as seve he's a great! I loved the way he pulled it out today, the greats just do that!

In all seriousness, I wonder what kind of distance increase Jordan would get with say a TBaG or Cally driver in his hands?

My Tour Bud used to be a Titleist Staffer and when he went to TBaG, he said that he picked up 10-12yds consistently. Madison went to Nike and it was a wash, maybe a few yards with the LE Nike driver that came out in 2011-12 though it was more accurate however she too picked up 10+ yards when she went to a TBaG driver(Stage 2)

Maybe it wouldn't make any difference though I bet it would

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Anyone who hates Spieth after that must have a miserable life. Seriously dont envy that situation

I don't think people actually HATE him... Maybe dislike his slow play or other things, but hate is a strong word!

After reading this thread this morning, I'm not so sure about that. After all, at least one person got put in time out.

Well if so, thats just sad!

I get tradition and everything, but not everything is sacred. I think the runner up trophy presentation could maybe go away.

Couldn't agree more!!

I can see giving out the low Am medal/trophy however next they're gonna be giving out televised participation trophies, lmao ��

This is what I love about you Gals/Guys across the pond and that is that all this "everyone's great" and "everyone's a winner" crap hasn't infected your society, lol

Us???

We're doomed, lmao

Take care Bro��

RP

Quite the opposite nowadays in many regards, especially sports. Kids' sports are a vicious bloodbath now. Parents make them train year-round, drive 10-year-olds hundreds of miles for soccer tournaments or whatever, and fight with coaches and referees. Win-at-all-costs to receive that elusive scholarship. Whereas, back in my day, we played sports mostly for fun.

Ha ha

I know that he was grateful, humble, classy and authentic in a trophy presentation, But there's a right way to be grateful, humble, classy, authentic in a trophy presentation.

My thoughts were he's saying the right things but this crowd is buying his bs.

How do we know all of us just aren't buying your BS?

Spieth is pure class. End of story.

didn't happen to see his Greller nut slap before this post, did ya? (BTW, he is still class, maybe not pure) Hicks' response is great!

https://twitter.com/...185370780254209

Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H

Couldn't agree more!!

I can see giving out the low Am medal/trophy however next they're gonna be giving out televised participation trophies, lmao??

Us???

We're doomed, lmao

Take care Bro?

RP

It's no stereotype Bro~

I helped my bud with his Jr. Pop Warner team(football) team last year and at their League Dinner, they gave out 27 trophies to the Championship team and 220+ "Participation" trophies to EVERY other Player from every other team. Aside from taking almost an hour and a half longer for coaches to introduce their teams, We had to sit through a coach who's team was 0-6 and actually was riding a 22 game losing streak explain how much they'd gotten out of their season.

Also, Stiller LB James Harrison made quite the public stir last year when he forbid his boys from accepting "participation" trophies at their league dinner.

In the Greater Pgh Jr. Golf League, run out of the public courses and driving ranges(one of which is my old driving range of which Madison still teaches and participates), they gave out over 100 "participation" medals to all participants who did not get 1st, 2nd or 3rd place trophies. This was at the insistence of the parents as Madison and 4 other Pros involved are against "participation" trophies, medals or certificates.

My Bro-in-Law coaches the Fla Elite Girls Youth Soccer team and not their league, which competes against other states, but the "feeder" leagues that provide them with their Palyers(of which my niece is one of them) also gave out "participation" trophies and my niece's team lost in the quarterfinals and they had "participation" trophies for them in a ceremony that my niece did not participate in-

Yea, I am also familiar with the "win at all costs" mentality as I worked on the mental side with both football Players and Golfers who were Elite talents and while I loved working with these 15-17yo kids, I hated the sight of their parents, usually the father, who was either a "never was" or a "has been" and couldn't let go and I could see the crash & burn coming for the kid when they hit their first real career setback.

But that's a whole nother story-

My point is, one, a stereotype, like a cliche, is almost always based off of truth and actual experiences, no matter how outdated, and secondly, the four scenarios, of which I have three more firsthand stories from 2016, another football and two golf related, that I spoke of are all within the last year and from the 2016 seasons-

Also, apparently someone forgot to tell Bryce Harper and these kids this past May(2017) about "that lazy stereotype"...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/bryce-harper-participation-trophies-little-league-kids-first-place-only-winners/amp

In full disclosure regarding DeAngelo Williams' daughter, well, she slipped coming out of the blocks in a sprint and couldn't make up enough ground to get a 1-3. She is an Elite talent and her next event, the long jump, is an event that she dominates and she did indeed get another first, which, unless she fouls or just has a mental meltdown, is her usual finish so to insinuate that she was motivated by Williams taking her participation ribbon away is disingenuous and just bullshat, lol.

However, this phenomena, stereotype or whatever ya want to call it is alive and well as the best two stories are from my professional life though this isn't the time or place for em, lol

Stay well Ano & have a great week!!

I enjoy your posts?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

In all seriousness, I wonder what kind of distance increase Jordan would get with say a TBaG or Cally driver in his hands?

My Tour Bud used to be a Titleist Staffer and when he went to TBaG, he said that he picked up 10-12yds consistently. Madison went to Nike and it was a wash, maybe a few yards with the LE Nike driver that came out in 2011-12 though it was more accurate however she too picked up 10+ yards when she went to a TBaG driver(Stage 2)

Cheers��

RP

bet it wouldnt!

All manufacturers adhere to the same manufacturing tolerances. People claiming 10-12 yard gains consistently with a driver are purely anecdotal.

didn't happen to see his Greller nut slap before this post, did ya? (BTW, he is still class, maybe not pure) Hick's response is great!

Your right, why should people have fun.

they shouldn't...golf isn't fun anyway...but, just in case my post is misconstrued, I'm still laughing because it's hilarious, even more so 'cause NBC didn't know what to do with it...quick cut away back to announcers and Hicks cracking up...

Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H

didn't happen to see his Greller nut slap before this post, did ya? (BTW, he is still class, maybe not pure) Hick's response is great!

Ha! Nice.

The speech was ok. Kinda boring.

What matters is after the mountain fiasco,

He played the last 5 holes in -5

That is just pure murder.

Cheers?

RP

bet it wouldnt!

All manufacturers adhere to the same manufacturing tolerances. People claiming 10-12 yard gains consistently with a driver are purely anecdotal.

That's what I'm saying and my Tour Bud's actual Tour driving distance actually only rose by less than 4 yards, I forget but it was like 3.7-3.8 yards, which could be attributed to a lot of things.

I was just throwing it out there cuz of the crew that calls him "short," lol

I agree wholeheartedly with his responce to this when asked back at Augusta the day(Saturday) before he claimed his grain jacket-

"I've always been as long as I needed to be and that was always long enough"

Spoken like a true Gentleman?

Take care?

RP

Cheers��

RP

bet it wouldnt!

Those gains can happen, but it typically has more to do with how the driver fits your swing. I have friends that hit the ball harder than me and have faster swing speed, but can't get the M1 driver to go nearly as far as I can (regardless of shaft or weight setup) because it just doesn't fit their swing (can't get enough spin). However, yes all of these faces are as "hot" as they can possibly be, but distances can be improved if you get a driver that works better for the way you strike the ball. That being said I don't imagine that JS, with all the technology he has available to him, isn't getting the absolute most he can get out of his driver.