Public Courses in West Chicagoland

spartandds

Hello,

I will be moving to Naperville in late August. I am looking for some recommendations for high quality public courses. From the research I've done, I'm seeing mainly either upscale, private country clubs or low quality public courses. I am willing to drive up to an hour from Naperville in search of high quality public courses.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I will be moving to Naperville in late August. I am looking for some recommendations for high quality public courses. From the research I've done, I'm seeing mainly either upscale, private country clubs or low quality public courses. I am willing to drive up to an hour from Naperville in search of high quality public courses.

I live in the area as well. You can go just south to Lemont area and play Cog Hill, 4 for sure and 2 is decent. Mistwood is a short drive from there. I live on 7 Bridges, which is decent, maybe over priced though. A little further north/west you can hit up Cantigny, Highlands, Bowes Creek. An hour from Naperville gets you basically anywhere at the right time though.

no mention of arrowhead?

orchard valley, while in aurora, shouldn't be too far.

prairie landing?

village links of glen ellyn

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Hello,

I live in Naperville. There really are a lot of nice public options in Chicagoland. Spend some time reading through the Midwest regional threads regarding Chicago area and you will get a pretty good feel for top public spots. And if you have any specific questions just throw them out there, folks here are always willing to give an opinion! Although generally very valid opinions, cuz most of the regulars are avid golfers who know a thing or two about what makes a solid golf course/playing experience.

My top list for west/southwest suburbs, which is where I spend most of my time:

Cantigny in Wheaton - hands down the top public facility in the area, not even close. Course conditions always good to fantastic depending on weather, solid service all around, exceptional practice facility... some on here will complain it's pricey (which is understandable as that's specific to each individual), but I'd pay more, especially when you start comparing to other much less impressive public courses in the area that charge as much or more.

Cog Hill in Lemont would be next for me - not at all flashy in terms of service or facilities, but 2 of the 4 courses are worth playing (and paying). #4 is the big dog with it's history hosting Western Open and BMW, but before paying the $150 I'd check on course conditions (which you can often do on these forums) - when in really good shape, #4 is arguably the top public track in the area. When bad conditions, it feels like a on overpriced muni. Sounds odd, I know, but you'll understand when you check it out. #2 is half the price and not nearly as challenging, but a fun course and layout, and just not as sexy cuz it doesn't have the notoriety of it's big brother. Practice facility is very solid, just check on course condition before playing - probably the biggest factor (not the only one) that puts it below Cantigny in my opinion. You don't have to worry about course condition at Cantigny - if they are willing to take your money and send you out on the course, you can rest assure the course conditions will be more than acceptable.

Next for me would be Highlands of Elgin or Bowes Creek both in Elgin - very close to each other, similar in price and value, fun and challenging layouts, but can be very busy on weekends and be upwards of 5+ hour rounds.

Harborside in Chicago - two links style golf courses just outside Chicago, both can play very challenging especially if the wind is up. Some views of the city on a clear, course conditions can be spotty but to be fair it seems as though they beginning to pay attention and work on this. Practice facility is very solid, and you can get some phenomenal deals online, especially afternoon/twilight. I really like these courses, just don't play as it often as I'd like cuz it's difficult to get to from west/southwest burbs.

Village Links of Glen Ellyn - very fun and challenging layout, couple of gimmicky holes especially the 18th, generally in decent shape, crappy practice facility, great bar/outdoor lounge for a drink and sandwich after.

Prairie Landing in West Chicago - fun links style, with some trees, in the middle of nowhere! but usually in pretty good shape and a good value if you're willing to make the drive. Facilities ok, but the course is fun and also very challenging if the wind is up.

Mistwood - another fun layout, but they just recently put lots of money into the course and facilities, which is all very nice now, but you're paying for it now and will be for years to come. The course is a tough layout, and similarly if the wind is up feels like a links style and can be brutal.

Arrowhead in Wheaton - similar style as Cantigny with 3 9-hole layout, just not as nice or challenging. Also, it's one of the most heavily played courses in Chicagoland, to obviously can lead to some long rounds. Generally good service, conditions usually decent, but the practice range sucks and they are big on weddings/entertaining so on the weekends the whole facility can feel like a circus (Cantigny does also but you'll rarely know cuz they do a good job of keeping it separate from the golf). But once out on the course, it's a fun round.

Seven Bridges - I like this course, a really fun and challenging layout with the only problem that it has no practice facility, so come ready to play! Overall a decent course, greens can be somewhat spotty, and if the wind's blowing the layout can be a beast (with again, no practice facility to warm up)!

Some honorable mentions in no particular order... Orchard Valley in Aurora, Ruffled Feathers in Lemont, George Dunne in Oak Forest, and I have to throw a shout out for Springbrook, which is one of two Naperville munis that is actually pretty decent!

And I also agree that if you're willing to drive an hour then you can get to many more good public tracks if you time it right, mostly in the north burbs, which I will let some of the other more knowledgeable northerners on here weigh in.

I'd stay away from Big Run and Bolingbrook, which I only mention because you'll hear a lot about them on this forum. Although, depending on where you will live in Naperville, Bolingbrook has a decent practice facility.

Hello,

I live in Naperville. There really are a lot of nice public options in Chicagoland. Spend some time reading through the Midwest regional threads regarding Chicago area and you will get a pretty good feel for top public spots. And if you have any specific questions just throw them out there, folks here are always willing to give an opinion! Although generally very valid opinions, cuz most of the regulars are avid golfers who know a thing or two about what makes a solid golf course/playing experience.

Cantigny in Wheaton - hands down the top public facility in the area, not even close. Course conditions always good to fantastic depending on weather, solid service all around, exceptional practice facility... some on here will complain it's pricey (which is understandable as that's specific to each individual), but I'd pay more, especially when you start comparing to other much less impressive public courses in the area that charge as much or more.

Cog Hill in Lemont would be next for me - not at all flashy in terms of service or facilities, but 2 of the 4 courses are worth playing (and paying). #4 is the big dog with it's history hosting Western Open and BMW, but before paying the $150 I'd check on course conditions (which you can often do on these forums) - when in really good shape, #4 is arguably the top public track in the area. When bad conditions, it feels like a on overpriced muni. Sounds odd, I know, but you'll understand when you check it out. #2 is half the price and not nearly as challenging, but a fun course and layout, and just not as sexy cuz it doesn't have the notoriety of it's big brother. Practice facility is very solid, just check on course condition before playing - probably the biggest factor (not the only one) that puts it below Cantigny in my opinion. You don't have to worry about course condition at Cantigny - if they are willing to take your money and send you out on the course, you can rest assure the course conditions will be more than acceptable.

Next for me would be Highlands of Elgin or Bowes Creek both in Elgin - very close to each other, similar in price and value, fun and challenging layouts, but can be very busy on weekends and be upwards of 5+ hour rounds.

Harborside in Chicago - two links style golf courses just outside Chicago, both can play very challenging especially if the wind is up. Some views of the city on a clear, course conditions can be spotty but to be fair it seems as though they beginning to pay attention and work on this. Practice facility is very solid, and you can get some phenomenal deals online, especially afternoon/twilight. I really like these courses, just don't play as it often as I'd like cuz it's difficult to get to from west/southwest burbs.

Village Links of Glen Ellyn - very fun and challenging layout, couple of gimmicky holes especially the 18th, generally in decent shape, crappy practice facility, great bar/outdoor lounge for a drink and sandwich after.

Prairie Landing in West Chicago - fun links style, with some trees, in the middle of nowhere! but usually in pretty good shape and a good value if you're willing to make the drive. Facilities ok, but the course is fun and also very challenging if the wind is up.

Mistwood - another fun layout, but they just recently put lots of money into the course and facilities, which is all very nice now, but you're paying for it now and will be for years to come. The course is a tough layout, and similarly if the wind is up feels like a links style and can be brutal.

Arrowhead in Wheaton - similar style as Cantigny with 3 9-hole layout, just not as nice or challenging. Also, it's one of the most heavily played courses in Chicagoland, to obviously can lead to some long rounds. Generally good service, conditions usually decent, but the practice range sucks and they are big on weddings/entertaining so on the weekends the whole facility can feel like a circus (Cantigny does also but you'll rarely know cuz they do a good job of keeping it separate from the golf). But once out on the course, it's a fun round.

Seven Bridges - I like this course, a really fun and challenging layout with the only problem that it has no practice facility, so come ready to play! Overall a decent course, greens can be somewhat spotty, and if the wind's blowing the layout can be a beast (with again, no practice facility to warm up)!

Some honorable mentions in no particular order... Orchard Valley in Aurora, Ruffled Feathers in Lemont, George Dunne in Oak Forest, and I have to throw a shout out for Springbrook, which is one of two Naperville munis that is actually pretty decent!

And I also agree that if you're willing to drive an hour then you can get to many more good public tracks if you time it right, mostly in the north burbs, which I will let some of the other more knowledgeable northerners on here weigh in.

I'd stay away from Big Run and Bolingbrook, which I only mention because you'll hear a lot about them on this forum. Although, depending on where you will live in Naperville, Bolingbrook has a decent practice facility.

Well that pretty much sums it up. There is a lot of very very good public golf in the area.

I'll also mention The Preserve at Oak Meadows which opens for preview play on August 7.

Grow-in continues following a 2 year stormwater project ($20 million) so keep that in mind.

This is off 290 and 294 near rt83 just north of elmhurst.

A bit far, but I imagine there will be a lot of talk about this course as people begin to play it

Good thing is that they'll be limiting play for this summer/fall to 12 minute tee time intervals and operation from 8 am to 4 hrs before sunset (so no real twilight).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

You should try Big Run at least once, and decide for yourself. It's not a top 10 course, primarily due to spotty conditioning, but it's a heck of a challenging layout.

As noted, Cantigny, Prairie Landing, and Arrowhead.

As you discovered, there are a lot of reasonable public courses that are playable, but won't win any awards. If you are willing to travel out of the western suburbs, there are another dozen courses north and south of the city worth playing at least once.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

You should try Big Run at least once, and decide for yourself. It's not a top 10 course, primarily due to spotty conditioning, but it's a heck of a challenging layout.

As you discovered, there are a lot of reasonable public courses that are playable, but won't win any awards. If you are willing to travel out of the western suburbs, there are another dozen courses north and south of the city worth playing at least once.

Big run is the world's worst golf course.

Lol. I've played over 400 courses now, and I'm fairly certain it's no where near the worst.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Lol. I've played over 400 courses now, and I'm fairly certain it's no where near the worst.

Right???

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Classified by course quality/price:

Cantigny (too rich for my blood but, by all accounts, a great course)

Arrowhead (27 holes; great conditioning, mildly challenging)

Village Links of Glen Elyn (can be played from 7200 or 6700 yards; plenty of variety)

Cog Hill #4 (too pricy for me, but I'm cheap)

Prairie Landing (excellent prairie-style layout; they do large punches in the fall so don't wait too long to play there)

Mistwood (never played but hear good things)

The Preserve at Oak Meadows (when it re-opens for play I'm assuming it will be in the upper tier, but the old course flooded out a lot and it's still on the same property; honestly, would benefit from being a walking only course)

Bolingbrook (Arthur Hills re-design that people either love or hate)

Broken Arrow (27 holes; greens are smooth but pace can be iffy as the day goes on)

Orchard Valley (never played; gets mixed reviews)

Fox Bend (never played; hear good things)

Blackberry Oaks (never played; hear good things)

Big Run (play it in the Spring or Fall, preferably with the first tee time when they allow walkers)

Cog Hill #2 (layout is excellent but greens are really slow; wait for twilight rate)

Ruffled Feathers (used to be top tier but conditioning got bad; Pete Dye design for what that's worth)

Heritage Bluffs (slightly further south off I 55)

Cinder Ridge (same as Heritage Bluffs)

Wedgewood (never played)

Tamarack (never played)

Naperbrook (never played)

Springbrook (never played)

Sanctuary (open year round; pace can be an issue but it's inexpensive)

Water's Edge (good variety and greens were smooth the last time I played, but known for sketchy maintenance)

Seven Bridges (priced like it's a top tier course but is a step below in my opinion)

Prairie Bluff (open year round; decent prairie style muni that gets a ton of love in the Chicago area thread)

St. Andrews (36 holes open year round)

Maple Meadows (also open year round; probably the best of the courses in this tier)

Glen Eagles (5800 yard course but can be a decent practice round)

Silver Lake (meh; I've only played once)

Cog Hill #1 and #3 (short, parkland courses that are open year round)

There's plenty more courses if you're willing to do some driving but that's a decent starter list for you. Check out the "Where are you playing today (Chicagoland area)?" thread. You'll get an idea of some of the other options as well as updates on the kind of shape the courses are in.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Hello,

Thank you so much this has been so helpful. Thank you to everyone else for the input as well. I will make my way around all of these courses!

Naperville has two excellent, fun municipal courses in Naperbrook and Springbrook. They rank very high on the value meter. Both courses are well maintained and are challenging. Not a lot to add other than Cantigny is a terrific facility, my favorite in the area. I also agree that Big Run is not worth your time. For a nice road trip (about 2-2.5 hours), you should definitely make the drive to the Quad Cities and play TPC Deere Run.

The OP has received some great information in this thread. And a little not-so-great information, too.

Definitely play Big Run. For $45-$65 it's may be impossible to find a challenge and layout that matches it. Even in higher greens-fee brackets, it will have few public peers. Conditions were very good when I played a few weeks ago, save for the stones that are sparsely scattered among the sand bunkers. Nobody wants a 5+ hour round, so pick your tee time carefully and ride, do not walk Big Run. Much of the criticism, I believe comes from golfer's frustration with trees blocking their shots (the course could use a tree removal program), putting off of greens and the big scores which many end up with.

There are many nice courses and great holes in the area, but I find that even the better ones sort of blend together and holes and courses become interchangeable. On the other hand, a round at Big Run is a rather unique experience.

I'm also surprised by the person who said that the practice facilities at Village links in Glen Ellyn are crappy. The have a huge turf range, 3 (!) practice greens and a chipping/pitching green with a practice bunker. Some munis may have better practice facilities (?), but I don't know how VL's can be characterized as crappy.

The OP has received some great information in this thread. And a little not-so-great information, too.

Definitely play Big Run. For $45-$65 it's may be impossible to find a challenge and layout that matches it. Even in higher greens-fee brackets, it will have few public peers. Conditions were very good when I played a few weeks ago, save for the stones that are sparsely scattered among the sand bunkers. Nobody wants a 5+ hour round, so pick your tee time carefully and ride, do not walk Big Run. Much of the criticism, I believe comes from golfer's frustration with trees blocking their shots (the course could use a tree removal program), putting off of greens and the big scores which many end up with.

There are many nice courses and great holes in the area, but I find that even the better ones sort of blend together and holes and courses become interchangeable. On the other hand, a round at Big Run is a rather unique experience.

I'm also surprised by the person who said that the practice facilities at Village links in Glen Ellyn are crappy. The have a huge turf range, 3 (!) practice greens and a chipping/pitching green with a practice bunker. Some munis may have better practice facilities (?), but I don't know how VL's can be characterized as crappy.

Ah, the wonderful world of GolfWRX, where people love nothing more than to complain, even when it isn't warranted. "I played awfully at Big Run because it has trees and hills, and hills are foreign to most Chicago area golfers" equates to "Don't waste your time there." Decide for yourself, OP. Just book an early time.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

It was an exaggeration, the layout is terrible though, the conditioning is average, there is no practice facility. The course is a gimmick to say the least. Ruffled Feathers near by is 10X the course.

obviously you've never tried the bacon egg and cheese sandwich the little old lady makes in the kitchen. Best I've ever had. I'll take that over a bucket of balls as a pre-round warmup any day of the week!

Our group played 36 at Bowes on Saturday and backed it up with 18 at Cantigny on the Woodside/Lakeside combo.

Bowes was in great shape with the exception of tons and tons of ball marks on the greens. We guesstimated that we repaired about 300 ball marks and there were even more to fix. Just don't understand why people can't take 30 seconds to fix their marks. Pace was great for the first 18 as we finished in just over 4 hours. IMHO, Bowes has the toughest set of par 3's in the area.

For the second 18, we played a 2 man scramble from the red tees which played about 5,400 yards. Lots of par 4's were driven and the two guys who won the scramble shot 67 which was impressive because they put down some serious quantity of beers while doing it.

J Money and his illegal irons joined us for the Sunday round at Cantigny. It truly is a top notch facility. Check in was awesome, the range is great and the pace for the first 9 walking holes was just under 2 hours at Noon on Sunday. We had to wait about 15 minutes for the groups in front of us on the back 9 clear but still finished in 4:20ish. The greens were hard and fast and shots weren't necessarily holding particularly well. Very difficult pin positions on probably 2/3rds of the holes.

If I had to complain about Cantigny it would be the 19th hole. Not sure if it's a bar or a restaurant but it is lacking in character. I believe the clubhouse was built when Wheaton was still a dry town which could explain it. When that's you're biggest complaint, you know you had a great day and weekend of golf.

I agree, Village Links has a pretty good practice area. The grass at the range isn't that good, but it's still a very big grass range.

Its also a very underrated facility. The 9 hole course is pretty good and fun to play for a quick 9. The 18 could be in better condition, but is a fantastic layout that can play pretty long from the tips. and its all at a pretty low cost.

It was an exaggeration, the layout is terrible though, the conditioning is average, there is no practice facility. The course is a gimmick to say the least. Ruffled Feathers near by is 10X the course.

obviously you've never tried the bacon egg and cheese sandwich the little old lady makes in the kitchen. Best I've ever had. I'll take that over a bucket of balls as a pre-round warmup any day of the week!

Haha! I'll have to stop by on my way to Cog or Ruffled Feathers next time!