2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Callaway purchased Travis Matthews?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fairly upset by this whole deal. My TM's shorts are by far the most comfortable golf shorts I have ever owned. I live in FL so light and breathable are everything to me.

I like Callaway as a club company-I am using the Epic Driver- but I don't want their logos on my clothes.

What leads you to think that will happen based on past history?

Do you see Callaway logos on Odyssey putters?

Did you see Callaway logos on Hogan clubs?

Do you see Callaway logos on all Ogio gear?

If they wanted to stick their logo on clothes they'd just go into a licensing agreement with TM.

I wonder if walmart tried to buy travis Mathew before they acquired bonobos.

Doubt it. That was a move to battle Amazon in the ecommerce space. TM, while having a presence, is not nearly as focused on ecommerce. They have a large presence in brick and mortar stores (golf shops, pro shops, their own stores, etc).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I am fairly upset by this whole deal. My TM's shorts are by far the most comfortable golf shorts I have ever owned. I live in FL so light and breathable are everything to me.

I like Callaway as a club company-I am using the Epic Driver- but I don't want their logos on my clothes.

What leads you to think that will happen based on past history?

Do you see Callaway logos on Odyssey putters?

Did you see Callaway logos on Hogan clubs?

Do you see Callaway logos on all Ogio gear?

If they wanted to stick their logo on clothes they'd just go into a licensing agreement with TM.

Yeah I don't see callaway logos on TM stuff, except maybe inside on the tags. Like Nike has done with Hurley, converse and some Cole Haan products.

I don't understand Callaway purchasing TravisMathew either. Full disclosure, I do live in Southern California and own a couple hats and one polo (with no logo on it)...but I don't wear that stuff on the course. Others have said earlier in the thread that TM is a lifestyle brand. TM has had a relatively small stable of guys wearing their clothes on tour for the last 8-10 years, and soon many of Callaway's staff players (those without previous apparel deals....I know I know) will all be wearing it. Doesn't that take away some of the "cool" factor if many more guys are wearing it?

For many years (until recently) every Taylor Made player would be wearing adidas. And now Callaway is doing the same thing with TravisMathew. Guys will get fitted for their Epic clubs, pickup their staff bag, and get all the clothing they need.

TaylorMade players wear adidas

Cobra players wear Puma

Callaway players will wear TravisMathew

These brands are becoming "package deals" instead of choices by either the clothing brand or player to endorse. It's less meaningful.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

I don't understand Callaway purchasing TravisMathew either. Full disclosure, I do live in Southern California and own a couple hats and one polo (with no logo on it)...but I don't wear that stuff on the course. Others have said earlier in the thread that TM is a lifestyle brand. TM has had a relatively small stable of guys wearing their clothes on tour for the last 8-10 years, and soon many of Callaway's staff players (those without previous apparel deals....I know I know) will all be wearing it. Doesn't that take away some of the "cool" factor if many more guys are wearing it?

For many years (until recently) every Taylor Made player would be wearing adidas. And now Callaway is doing the same thing with TravisMathew. Guys will get fitted for their Epic clubs, pickup their staff bag, and get all the clothing they need.

Cobra players wear Puma

These brands are becoming "package deals" instead of choices by either the clothing brand or player to endorse. It's less meaningful.

I kind of see your point historically but that's not really the case anymore. Especially as of this year. Now that Adidas no longer owns TaylorMade I think once those players' Apparel contracts are up you may see them switch. Two of the top three TaylorMade staffers are already wearing Nike head to toe. I also think if what you are saying is true and the club company's only wanted to put their clothing in the spotlight you would have seen a lot of these guys wearing Callaway clothing the last few years. But remember, it's not like TaylorMade was trying to market adidas clothes, kind if the opposite.

It's my personal opinion that this acquisition had more to do with its reach outside of the game. I don't think it's going to shake things up nearly as much as a lot of people are thinking.

Cobra players wear Puma

While it's reasonable to think things could go that way, it may or may not be the case. Things are changing. Not all Callaway staffers wear their apparel now, so no guarantee about it continuing. It's all a part of the deal and what they can get going head to toe from one company vs separate deals. Plenty of Titleist guys don't wear FJ, Ping guys don't wear their apparel line. Even with Callaway, Stenson and Mickeson were at times wearing Hugo Boss logos.

I doubt that Callaway would let clothing stand in the way of getting Rory to play their gear.

Cobra players wear Puma

While it's reasonable to think things could go that way, it may or may not be the case. Things are changing. Not all Callaway staffers wear their apparel now, so no guarantee about it continuing. It's all a part of the deal and what they can get going head to toe from one company vs separate deals. Plenty of Titleist guys don't wear FJ, Ping guys don't wear their apparel line. Even with Callaway, Stenson and Mickeson were at times wearing Hugo Boss logos.

I doubt that Callaway would let clothing stand in the way of getting Rory to play their gear.

I'm assuming you meant that as a hypothetical example? Rory just signed like a 10 year deal with TaylorMade.

Cobra players wear Puma

I'm assuming you meant that as a hypothetical example? Rory just signed like a 10 year deal with TaylorMade.

Of course... for example, when he had Callaways in the bag at the start of the year.

Now Callaway does seem to require their staffers play Odyssey, but I don't expect them to be as strict on the clothing. I doubt having Monty wearing TM is quite the brand image they're after :-)

Cobra players wear Puma

Of course... for example, when he had Callaways in the bag at the start of the year.

Yeah I figured. But yeah, like my post before you reflects, I agree with everything you said. I really don't understand why all these people seem to think this is going to change much at all.

I think we are going to see more sereration than ever between Apparel and club deals after this year. The only thing I can see is maybe some of the guys that wear Travis Mathew now and aren't playing Callaway may be pressured to switch or bought out of their contracts because some OEM's may consider it a conflict of interest.

Cobra players wear Puma

Yes, each club brand has plenty of exceptions...and many of those are marquee players who are established and/or higher up the world rankings. I should have clarified with my original post....watch many of the "next wave" (younger) of new Callaway professionals to wear TM. My example is Beau Hossler and Xander Schauffele turning pro with adidas/Taylormade. I expect TravisMathew will become the "uniform" of Callaway's stable of younger pros.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

I have a lot of TM shirts, and to be honest I think the quality has slipped some since Travis Johnson sold out and started Haus of Grey. They're still good shirts, but I think they used to be better.

I agree completely. Also, the warehouse sales used to be epic. The past 2-3 years they haven't been nearly as amazing. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how Callaway plays this out.

Another agreement here. I just don't feel like the shirts are the same quality anymore. And the warehouse sale was going downhill, to the point I didn't try to make time to get to the last couple.

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana ZF 70s

Callaway Paradym 3D 18* Kaili White 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti SS3 or Betti BB46 or Betti BB Proto

I have a lot of TM shirts, and to be honest I think the quality has slipped some since Travis Johnson sold out and started Haus of Grey. They're still good shirts, but I think they used to be better.

I agree completely. Also, the warehouse sales used to be epic. The past 2-3 years they haven't been nearly as amazing. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how Callaway plays this out.

Another agreement here. I just don't feel like the shirts are the same quality anymore. And the warehouse sale was going downhill, to the point I didn't try to make time to get to the last couple.

Idk about the warehouse sales because im never close enough, but, yeah the shirts have run a little stale in my opinion. They all kind of look the same. I also don't like how they seem to have some lesser quality stuff they produce that end up at the outlet type of stores (Nordstrom Rack, marshalls, etc). They are clearly a lesser product than what you see at proshops and at the TM brick and Mortar store in Phoenix. They even have a little different label on them.

I still love the TM shorts though and style of shorts in general doesn't really change a lot. Most of my TM purchases anymore are their lifestyle stuff. I love their hats, some of their T Shirts, their workout gear (the Red Label) is awesome, and I now even have a couple of their flannel shirts. I love that stuff but have found myself moving towards other brands for actual golf apparel.

I don't wear TM gear on the golf course hardly at all anymore just because it's expensive and isn't the best for hot humid east coast summers but I've always liked the look and I pretty much wear their polos and hats off the course every day. I really hope that this won't have an affect on the brand.

And I also hope that the online warehouse sales continue as well, that was always a nice way to load up on their stuff.

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

Travis mathew by all accounts is a trendy, fashionable, life style brand, one that has captured the attention of younger golfers looking for a soft, cool different look,

with ....Limited distribution.

The key to trendy brands is balance availability to the consumer with new fresh looking styles only to be followed up on the previous season styles. Its a golf ara that all the big guys Adidas, Nike footjoy oakley and possibly Puma have never really addressed- those guys were selling technical fabrics, color and logo styling.

Travis on the other hand was the opposite, that's their niche, that's how they got attention and noticed. With limited distribution the consumer accepted it as a cool brand, it wasn;t about technical- it was about soft natural fibers with breathability, it wasn't about color it was about tone and texture.

If you want to ruin a trendy brand....its very simple to to do with Travis. You upset the cart. You move away from limited distribution, you make it more common place. You slowly integrate it into every callaway shop, every channel of distribution that callaway has.

Don't be fooled by this autonomous, Callaway spent 125 million on a company that may have shot their final load and Callaway is there to increase distribution, SKUs and four arm racks. On the short term things will be about the same- But I would thinks this is not a very good strategy ffor Travis as you have known it. Its officially changed by this acquisition.

One last thing...warehouse sales are a not a good thing for any manufacturer, its really a sign of failure, poor planning, order cancellations, quality control and poor sell though. Its can be good for the consumer don't get me wrong. But a good manufacturer orders enough to have clean warehouses at different times of the year & not to resort to discounting their own brand.

One last thing...warehouse sales are a not a good thing for any manufacturer, its really a sign of failure, poor planning, order cancellations, quality control and poor sell though. Its can be good for the consumer don't get me wrong. But a good manufacturer orders enough to have clean warehouses at different times of the year & not to resort to discounting their own brand.

Some high end women's handbag companies will resort to destroying product before discounting it.

Costco now selling TM Pretige shirts for $39.00. Is this good or bad for TM?

I noticed some TM stuff (mostly hats) at TJ Maxx stores earlier in the summer as well. Hard to say if it's good or bad at this point. It could have simply been a move to unload some inventory. However, the argument would stand that this is detrimental to the brand's premium image. It could also be a sign that Callaway had been involved already since Callaway has tons of clothes in TJX stores and also some SMU clothing at the wholesale stores. We'll have to wait and see what happens over the next few months. MY guess though, is that nothing really changes on the surface.

Callaway has the worst apparel in golf. They could have started up a company easier than running TM. Another huge loss move for another golf company.

I would say PING but every company should always work on improving rather than settling.

Lets be honest here. Callaway hasn't be relevant in clothing since they sold off Ashworth. Everything they did SUCKED. I told the reps so for the last 2 years at the PGA Show. We wouldn't stock it because it didn't sell. No one took it seriously. At least NOW, there is a relevant company that has operations in place, which won't probably change a thing because there is no reason to. They can now honestly get the 18-50 market now simply by letting them do what they're already doing. We looked at them strongly because they make stuff all the way to 3X. Their stuff is really good. Pricey, but good. No reasonable company will touch it inappropriately and mess it up.

TaylorMade you ask? They wanted Adams' technology. Nothing more. They offered them a lifeline and are in the process of killing it slowly. The Plano TX plant is shuttered. The Money Shot can attest to this on out TM trip years ago. I was the only one using Adams on the trip. They watched me hit hybrids out of the same divot for 5 minutes. A bunch of the fitters and none other then Brian Bozzell, their irons and woods guru. They said they had never seen anyone do that with a hybrid before. Their hybrids at the time couldn't dig the ball out like that. I said I assured them it was the hybrid, not me, because I sucked.

Callaway hasn't done soft goods well in forever. This is a great move for them.

Well they need to send this Buzz guru down here to the south end of the Grand Strand of SC. I can show him how to hit a hybrid out of a divot and they are TMs too! Now they are old TM Rescue Mid ones but I can do it. To boot I have not been hitting hybrids that long either just a couple of months now. I can hit those darn things off of just about anything pine straw too.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Like most things, they were better when they were an up and coming local secret. They lost their soul when Krug and Brash pushed Travis out in favor of Chris Rosaasen. Investors were in a hurry to make the big money. It's the American way, I completely understand. It was just sad to see Travis get done that way. He landed on his feet though. And those warehouse sales were a party, especially early on when they were still in Seal Beach. I remember a bunch of times when me and some friends would take a Friday off, hit the sale first thing in the morning then roll over to El Dorado for 18. Good times.

I admit that I don't know the first thing about their financials but $125M seems a little low to me.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 9.0° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S

Mizuno Pro 223 5i, Pro 221 6-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Photo from my local Costco.

That's the same stuff that shows up at Nordstrom Rack for $39