2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

St Andrews Old Course lottery closed for 2018 - good luck!

dcmidnight

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which castle is that Hawkeye? At first I thought Urquhart, but maybe not?

We already know we'll be in St A at the same time :golfer:

Also can't wait til next summer - extended family trip, driving most of Scotland (except the islands) over 15 days.

Golf is just me & my brother - rest of family there for castles, whisky, and visiting our old ancestral locales (mostly near Glasgow/Ayrshire)

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Which castle is that Hawkeye? At first I thought Urquhart, but maybe not?

We already know we'll be in St A at the same time :golfer:

Also can't wait til next summer - extended family trip, driving most of Scotland (except the islands) over 15 days.

Golf is just me & my brother - rest of family there for castles, whisky, and visiting our old ancestral locales (mostly near Glasgow/Ayrshire)

Kilchurn!

Been making a list of sites to see and places to get some good photos. We will be there 13 days, leaving Edinburgh Airport for Glasgow (just stopping by a couple Dr. Who call boxes)/Glenfinnan-Glen Coe area for a couple days, then heading up to Dornoch which is our base for a week before heading to St. Andrews for last 4 nights. We'll play plenty of golf but everyone has their own particular castle(s)/site(s) to see so trying to figure all that out within the limits of our route. Will take a day trip to Orkney (golf in the evening at Reay), other day trips with mix of sightseeing and golf. We'll have all winter and Spring to sort out/hopefully simplify a bit because there is just so much we can squeeze in and don't want to be a frantic two weeks by any means.

More I read and see, the more I am looking for good photo ops, though and want to just spend some time walking around.

• 4 months later...

so the lottery system for 2019 starts in august? ... i checked their website a couple of months ago and i think it said august (maybe sept), but checking it today the "old course click here" button takes me to a job application site ...

and i need advice ... am in the early stages of planning a trip next year, preferably during 1st week of july ... just requested times at muirfield for july 4th ... obvious issue is we won't know the old course status till october ... the Open being in Ireland gives us a chance to get all Open courses in, possibly ... is early June a better time period to try for the Old Course? ...

Its been a few years now, but I was successful in 2011 and 2012 going through the advance reservation system. Once we played in May, the other was for early June. I know some of the things have changed since then, but you still won't hear back from them until October, I believe. I think that generally, July and August are busier times for all of Scotland. Its tough trying to get both Muirfield and the Old Course scheduled, because Muirfield times will all be taken well before you know about the Old Course. The only other thing to consider is going through one of the golf packagers that can guarantee times on both, but that comes with a pretty hefty price tag. One thing I'd say for sure, you can have a great time in Scotland, and play courses with centuries of history, without ever setting foot on a current Open venue. If you can get Muirfield, maybe you go ahead with that, and plan the rest of your trip around that. If you get the Old Course too, great, if not, you'll still have an outstanding time. You won't have a problem with lodging or air travel even if you wait until October to make those plans.

yeah, i chatted with a tour operator just now and the premium for the OC is fairly big ... he actually said June's odds were a bit lower than July due to some official business things and a tournament there (rotary club), plus slightly shorter days ... think i'll go ahead and reserve muirfield ... i've been over and played the OC, but my buddies haven't, but Troon/Turnberry/Carnoustie/Muirfield/New Course/Kingsbards won't be too bad if we don't get the OC ...

• 1 month later...

I'll be there end of July. We've put in for the 48 hour ballot for a 2 some, hoping the fact that we went through a book ag will help - cant help but stress about it... If we can't get on everyone seems to be recommending the new course?? Open to suggestions. :blush2:

Also get to see the final round of the senior open. Cant wait!

I'll be there end of July. We've put in for the 48 hour ballot for a 2 some, hoping the fact that we went through a book ag will help - cant help but stress about it... If we can't get on everyone seems to be recommending the new course?? Open to suggestions. :blush2:

Right in town, the New and Jubilee are both excellent. They both run out of the Links Clubhouse, just right of the Old Course 1st green. If you have a car, drive out to Crail, or Elie, Lundin, Leven, Monifieth, Panmure, any number of other options. Kingsbarns is outstanding (and pricey), Carnoustie isn't far away. As the Scots say, you're spoilt for choice.

I'm a bit confused by this. If you are going the end of July you are many many many 48hrs away from being able to book :)

The ballot only has one (OK three methods; phone, in person, online) mechanism for allotting times; put your name down two days ahead and hope you get picked. Not sure what a booking agent can do/would have told you to the contrary?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm a bit confused by this. If you are going the end of July you are many many many 48hrs away from being able to book :)

The ballot only has one (OK three methods; phone, in person, online) mechanism for allotting times; put your name down two days ahead and hope you get picked. Not sure what a booking agent can do/would have told you to the contrary?

I'm confused by this also - do they have some "dibs" on ballot openings? Not saying they don't, just don't know.

played lundin links with a member twice ... guy was our driver on 2 trips, so the 2nd time we played there ... very nice track ... we went 2 times in 4 years and became well acquainted with lower largo, the railway inn in particular ... crail and elie would be very decent substitutes, though i'd choose the new course first if the oc ballot doesn't work out ...

tour operator probably meant they'd take care of the ballot ... only thing i can guess ...

If he booked the rest of his trip through a booking agency, it's possible that the agency will book him on the ballot at the appropriate time for each day, saving him the trouble.

Oh sure. If the implied 'help' is just the poster's wishful thinking that's fair enough :)

But if the tour operator implied they'd have a better chance than the general public, well that's not on IMHO. Especially if that was part of their sell.

Of course I am just guessing at it, which is why I posted my question above.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If he booked the rest of his trip through a booking agency, it's possible that the agency will book him on the ballot at the appropriate time for each day, saving him the trouble.

Oh sure. If the implied 'help' is just the poster's wishful thinking that's fair enough :)

But if the tour operator implied they'd have a better chance than the general public, well that's not on IMHO. Especially if that was part of their sell.

Of course I am just guessing at it, which is why I posted my question above.

I hope the same, and I believe that we're probably right, that when it comes to the ballot, the booking agencies don't have any special influence. On the other hand, MilkyButterCuts "can't help but stress about it". Knowing that he doesn't have to remember to call or sign up through the internet each day, knowing that someone is definitely taking care of that for him, will certainly ease his stress level.

Sure :)

I'm just such a DIYer, that I'd be worried someone else wouldn't do it.

Funnily enough, when we were last there in 2014, me and my mate (the other 4 were out on TOC) went down to the pavilion one morning to put our names down (us as a twosome, the others as a foursome) for the ballot, before going over to the New/Jubilee and the girl at the desk asked:

If you don't have any plans would you like to play TOC today?

We said, well ya sure, when?

You're on deck

We were on 5, when the other guys were coming the other way on 14, it was pretty funny when they spotted us :)

F.T.

Yup this is correct.

I know the travel agents don't have any extra pull, even though I'd like to think they do. He definitely didn't use that to sell us by any means. Funny thing is, the price wasn't far off from booking it yourself.

Yup this is correct.

I know the travel agents don't have any extra pull, even though I'd like to think they do. He definitely didn't use that to sell us by any means. Funny thing is, the price wasn't far off from booking it yourself.

This seems logical to me, the booking agency has built their profit into the portion of the package that's guaranteed. All they're doing is making a phone call or email on your behalf once a day for a few days at most. It wouldn't surprise me if they can make a single call or email and register a number of groups for the ballot, if they have more than one in town on those days. As for the price, you pay the same amount whether you get advanced reservations, succeed in the daily ballot, or walk up on the morning. I'm interested, have you had to pay a deposit for a reserved tee time somewhere else on these days? What happens to that deposit if you DO get to play the Old Course?

Yup this is correct.

This seems logical to me, the booking agency has built their profit into the portion of the package that's guaranteed. All they're doing is making a phone call or email on your behalf once a day for a few days at most. It wouldn't surprise me if they can make a single call or email and register a number of groups for the ballot, if they have more than one in town on those days. As for the price, you pay the same amount whether you get advanced reservations, succeed in the daily ballot, or walk up on the morning. I'm interested, have you had to pay a deposit for a reserved tee time somewhere else on these days? What happens to that deposit if you DO get to play the Old Course?

No deposits, we're only in town for 2 days. They say if we can't get on with the 48hr ballot they have other tee times they can substitute. If we get on we pay when we arrive that day.

Yup this is correct.

No deposits, we're only in town for 2 days. They say if we can't get on with the 48hr ballot they have other tee times they can substitute. If we get on we pay when we arrive that day.

Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes! I'll be going next year and can't get enough trip reports to read about other people's experiences.

Sounds like a pretty fair deal all around. Good luck with the Old, and enjoy wherever else you end up playing.

Sounds like a pretty fair deal all around. Good luck with the Old, and enjoy wherever else you end up playing.

Thank you Sir. Never played outside of the west coast so should be a hell of an experience. I've always had a fancy for links golf.

We play Trump Int. Aberdeen, Carnoustie, somewhere in St Andrews (or around it), Nairn, and Royal Dornoch. Cant wait. :slow_en:

I'll check back in afterwords!

Lots of driving in this trip, I hope someone else is taking care of that for you. In St Andrews, for a pint, I suggest the Whey Pat. Its far enough from the golf courses that you'll find real Scots, not just the golf tourists who go to the Dunvegan. Nothing against the Dunvegan, its a fine place, but I like to see more local flavor. Royal Dornoch is still my favorite golf course in the world. Check out the bar in the Castle Hotel for an outstanding selection of whisky.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the low down on the ballots and queue portion for TOC. 48 hours prior to a day there are 2 ballots: local and Open. Most of you guys would be looking at open ballots, which require or more people. At the end of the day they post the tee times for 2 days later.

If you are doing the queue thing, here's your sleuthing: Look at the groups with an OB next to their name. If there are openings, they *have* to take a single/double from the queue to fill out the foursome. Local ballots and lottery winners are not obligated to have queue people join, although most people are reasonable enough to not be "that guy" that maybe keeps someone off the Old Course. So look at how many openings are next to OB, and that helps your odds.

I was there in late May last year. There were a decent number of openings. I was #5 in the queue arriving at 2:20 am. #1 and #2 got into the first two groups. # and 4 were a couple, so they got a time later in the afternoon so they could play together. Which brought me up. 10:10 am guaranteed. I filled a spot in an open ballot. I had choices. Back at the hotel for some breakfast, 6 and 7 were staying there and got a time later on. #15 was also staying there, but he got "we hope we can get you out between 8 and 9." So see how many OB spots are open and plan accordingly based on that and how badly you want on. Also find out if tour groups are in town. A couple of weeks prior a Chinese tour group was there without tee times. 30 people were there at about 4 am for the queue. Wouldn't have been a good day.

There are heaters, but they are only so good. You're going to be cold if you wait a while. I doubt I will do it again, but it was certainly worth doing.

• 1 month later...