2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Links Golf Scotland

I was born and raised in Links Golf Country.

Having been a member at St Andrews and Carnoustie I perhaps take for granted the history and quality of golf at my disposal.

BUT, history aside, does the style of golf required, and the testing conditions that usually persist, still provide an attractive proposition for the golfing masses? Or, is there an increasing preference for "American-style" target golf?

Keen to hear views and experiences...

G425 LST 9* Ventus Blue TR 6X

G425 LST 14.5* PING Tour 75X

Srixon ZX Utility 20* Evenflow Black 85X

Srixon ZX7 4-PW KBS Tour 130X

Cleveland Zipcore Raw 52, 56 and 60 with Tour Issue DG S400 Onyx

Golf Pride MCC Midsize black/red

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak from experience, only expectation - I wouldn't be taking the family on our longest and most "real" vacation in 20+ years (to Scotland) because I want to play the equivalent of TPC Sawgrass or any other American golf course.

I don't think you can say "history aside" because history is, for me anyway, a huge part of my desire over many, many years to get over there and play golf. Tourist numbers are up, Scotland has so much to offer (we are doing plenty besides golf) and from what I read on here, Yanks want to play links golf.

Our trip isn't a "hit list" of the "must plays" most people start listing (although we are playing the Old Course and Royal Dornoch) - but with one exception, all our golf will be links golf, but including some courses up north that are usually cited.

I can't separate it from the history, because I'm all about that - having said that, I look at flyovers and videos and photographs of these courses we are going to play, even the out of the ways like Reay and Golspie and Boat of Garten and to me, they are the most beautiful locations and courses I can imagine.

I'll speak from experience in about 7-8 months, and will be interested to see what you get for responses here for sure.

I can't speak from experience, only expectation - I wouldn't be taking the family on our longest and most "real" vacation in 20+ years (to Scotland) because I want to play the equivalent of TPC Sawgrass or any other American golf course.

I don't think you can say "history aside" because history is, for me anyway, a huge part of my desire over many, many years to get over there and play golf. Tourist numbers are up, Scotland has so much to offer (we are doing plenty besides golf) and from what I read on here, Yanks want to play links golf.

Our trip isn't a "hit list" of the "must plays" most people start listing (although we are playing the Old Course and Royal Dornoch) - but with one exception, all our golf will be links golf, but including some courses up north that are usually cited.

I can't separate it from the history, because I'm all about that - having said that, I look at flyovers and videos and photographs of these courses we are going to play, even the out of the ways like Reay and Golspie and Boat of Garten and to me, they are the most beautiful locations and courses I can imagine.

I'll speak from experience in about 7-8 months, and will be interested to see what you get for responses here for sure.

Thanks for the reply Hawkeye77!

As a really new member to the Golfwrx forum I was really surprised to see such a lack of content/conversation around "links golf" so wanted to start the ball rolling...

I suppose I was being cute when I said "history aside" as I know it's synonymous with links golf. I was more trying to understand how people feel about playing links golf as a distinctive style of golf e.g. wind, firmness, pot bunkers, gorse and more varied shotmaking. I've seen many tourists leaving the Championship Course at Carnoustie looking completely devastated and have always wondered if they actually enjoyed the style of golf!

I'm really passionate about links golf and think the style is always undervalued on a global scale . I also think Scotland could do a better job of capitalising on the incredible history of links golf and help generate more throughput in peripheral courses outside if St Andrews.

Your trip sounds fantastic. I'd highly recommend reading/buying "True Links" in preparation!

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

I'm sure there are quite a few on the forums that will relate their experiences!

Thanks for the suggestion - just ordered that book and looking forward to it. Also have a just released book on the way that I preordered some time ago and was just published on photographing Scotland that looks to have about 600 pages and as many photos of the country with detailed notes for each and every photograph about the exposure/lens/aperture, etc. that will be fascinating. Looks to be of high quality and the price was unbelievably reasonable from the publisher fotoVUE.

Great topic Linksgolfguy,

I went on a pilgrimage to Scotland 5 years ago to play real links golf for the first time. It was awesome. I enjoyed the ever changing conditions, wind, and wandering around the linksland. I detest courses surrounded by houses and there were none of those. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere on the course and loved it. I was fortunate to play the Old Course, Royal Dornoch, Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, the New Course, Lundin Links, and Moray Old. They were all great in different ways. The wind was fantastic some days. I'm a much better player today then I was then and I really want to go back to test my skills again. I also journeyed to Ireland to play Carne, Sligo, Enniscrone, Strandhill and the Island. In addition to the fantastic golf, the people in Ireland and Scotland were warm, wonderful and most were golfers!

My home club is not a true links course as it doesn't lie in the linksland, but it is very close to the ocean and I love the changing conditions and wind that make the course play different from day to day. I think that is the beauty of links golf. I was amazed at how quickly the links courses in the UK drain when it rains. They are all sand and just drain. The variety of shots given the wind and firmness of the ground give you a ton of options.

I'd love to retire some day and get a home in Scotland or Ireland and play links golf all summer long.

As a really new member to the Golfwrx forum I was really surprised to see such a lack of content/conversation around "links golf" so wanted to start the ball rolling...

I suppose I was being cute when I said "history aside" as I know it's synonymous with links golf. I was more trying to understand how people feel about playing links golf as a distinctive style of golf e.g. wind, firmness, pot bunkers, gorse and more varied shotmaking. I've seen many tourists leaving the Championship Course at Carnoustie looking completely devastated and have always wondered if they actually enjoyed the style of golf!

I'm really passionate about links golf and think the style is always undervalued on a global scale . I also think Scotland could do a better job of capitalising on the incredible history of links golf and help generate more throughput in peripheral courses outside if St Andrews.

Your trip sounds fantastic. I'd highly recommend reading/buying "True Links" in preparation!

"True Links" arrived today - awesome book so far - almost makes me wish I had a coffee table!

"True Links" arrived today - awesome book so far - almost makes me wish I had a coffee table!

Haha, defo worth buying a coffee table then! Its such a cool book. I love the foreward by Tom Watson and also the attempt to define "Links". There are quite a few linksy courses that don't quite make the grade by their criteria, Scotscraig, the worlds 13th oldest course, being one. I play there too and would happily take you there for a round when you're over!

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

Having been a member at St Andrews and Carnoustie I perhaps take for granted the history and quality of golf at my disposal.

BUT, history aside, does the style of golf required, and the testing conditions that usually persist, still provide an attractive proposition for the golfing masses? Or, is there an increasing preference for "American-style" target golf?

The fact that even in winter nearly all St Andrews courses are fully booked is testament to the popularity. You can just walk on to most inland courses in winter............but why would you, a round in mud, temp greens and mats for tees has as much appeal as running a cheese grater over my gentlemens part!!

I will also check out this book- thanks.

The fact that even in winter nearly all St Andrews courses are fully booked is testament to the popularity. You can just walk on to most inland courses in winter............but why would you, a round in mud, temp greens and mats for tees has as much appeal as running a cheese grater over my gentlemens part!!

I will also check out this book- thanks.

yeah, I played in St Andrews last weekend and although fairways/greens were a little firm the course played great and was incredibly busy. thats one of the many great things about links, you can play virtually the whole year!!

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

Coming from Canada, my wife and I did a 10 day trip to Scotland a few summers ago. We played 8 rounds (St. Andrews, Dornoch, Inverness area, etc.) and I can't say enough how much we enjoyed it. To me it is "real golf", we walked every round, carried our bags, took our time and just really enjoyed it. We have done trips in Palm Springs, Phoenix, etc. and it just seems so busy and rushed, with people, houses, golf carts everywhere. When we were off the first tee in Scotland it felt like we were the only ones on the course. And the shot making options, the wind, the elements, walking, carrying, etc. like I said it just feels like "real golf" to me. I would move there and work on a course if I could, and just play everyday. It was really a life changing experience for me, and I cannot wait to go back!

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Coming from Canada, my wife and I did a 10 day trip to Scotland a few summers ago. We played 8 rounds (St. Andrews, Dornoch, Inverness area, etc.) and I can't say enough how much we enjoyed it. To me it is "real golf", we walked every round, carried our bags, took our time and just really enjoyed it. We have done trips in Palm Springs, Phoenix, etc. and it just seems so busy and rushed, with people, houses, golf carts everywhere. When we were off the first tee in Scotland it felt like we were the only ones on the course. And the shot making options, the wind, the elements, walking, carrying, etc. like I said it just feels like "real golf" to me. I would move there and work on a course if I could, and just play everyday. It was really a life changing experience for me, and I cannot wait to go back!

That's an incredible appraisal and thank you for being so passionate about our sacred links! I think you've tapped into a really significant part of links golf appeal; the sense of freedom! Did you managed to play Carnoustie?

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

Great topic and very timely for me. We are thinking of visiting in May (if we aren't already to late). This is a family trip so the plan is to mix in golf with other activities. My son participated in a study abroad program at St Andrews University and loved every second of it, but the rest of us have never been. I will keep popping in, but if you have any must sees that are a bit off the beaten path, I would love to hear them.

While we would love to play the Old Course, I don't know how realistic that would be at this point in time. My son says the must play is Kingsbarns as it was his favorite track. We would also love to find a links course that caters more to the locals than the tourists. For us, its much more about the experience than checking of top 100 tracks, although we will try to squeeze in 1 or 2 because, hey, were there!!!

That's an incredible appraisal and thank you for being so passionate about our sacred links! I think you've tapped into a really significant part of links golf appeal; the sense of freedom! Did you managed to play Carnoustie?

Thank you very much! We did not get to play Carnoustie this time. We stayed in St. Andrews for 5 days and played several of the courses there (New, Jubilee, Castle, Dukes. We did not get on the Old but we walked it each evening, which was almost as good.). Then we drove up to Inverness for a few days and played: Nairn, Castle Stuart, Boat of Garten and Royal Dornoch. I will definitely be going back to play some of the other courses. But for our first trip we had to spend some time in St. Andrews, and it did not disappoint.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Great topic and very timely for me. We are thinking of visiting in May (if we aren't already to late). This is a family trip so the plan is to mix in golf with other activities. My son participated in a study abroad program at St Andrews University and loved every second of it, but the rest of us have never been. I will keep popping in, but if you have any must sees that are a bit off the beaten path, I would love to hear them.

While we would love to play the Old Course, I don't know how realistic that would be at this point in time. My son says the must play is Kingsbarns as it was his favorite track. We would also love to find a links course that caters more to the locals than the tourists. For us, its much more about the experience than checking of top 100 tracks, although we will try to squeeze in 1 or 2 because, hey, were there!!!

Hey HackerDave,

You must be really excited for your trip! Playing the Old Course isn't too difficult, you can get in touch with them directly or you can turn up and enter your name into the ballot - either way I'm sure you'll get a round! Interestingly, The Old Course is 1 of 7 courses run by St Andrews Links, with The Jubilee generally considered the toughest test of golf in the town. There are so many great courses nearby that are all steeped in as much history as St Andrews, see below for a list of tracks you MUST play:

Crail

Leven Links

Monifieth Medal

Panmure GC

All classic links courses with incredible history and relatively easy to get a round on.

Kingsbarns is an epic course too but quite touristy.

Let me know how you get on!

Dave

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

Thank you very much! We did not get to play Carnoustie this time. We stayed in St. Andrews for 5 days and played several of the courses there (New, Jubilee, Castle, Dukes. We did not get on the Old but we walked it each evening, which was almost as good.). Then we drove up to Inverness for a few days and played: Nairn, Castle Stuart, Boat of Garten and Royal Dornoch. I will definitely be going back to play some of the other courses. But for our first trip we had to spend some time in St. Andrews, and it did not disappoint.

Sounds like a great trip. St Andrews is the perfect place to base yourself as its within a couple hours drive of all the best links in the country.

You can play Carnasty the next time you come over, and believe me, watching the pros struggle on the course at next years Open will only make you want to come and play it more!

Dave

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro-V1 2022

Hey HackerDave,

You must be really excited for your trip! Playing the Old Course isn't too difficult, you can get in touch with them directly or you can turn up and enter your name into the ballot - either way I'm sure you'll get a round! Interestingly, The Old Course is 1 of 7 courses run by St Andrews Links, with The Jubilee generally considered the toughest test of golf in the town. There are so many great courses nearby that are all steeped in as much history as St Andrews, see below for a list of tracks you MUST play:

Crail

Leven Links

Monifieth Medal

Panmure GC

All classic links courses with incredible history and relatively easy to get a round on.

Dave

Our biggest issue is we all play golf, so we would prefer a foursome. I have to imagine that would be a tough find in May.

If you're in St Andrews, put your name in the ballot for the Old Course, there are still openings for fourballs that are given out through that lottery. Follow the instructions at the St Andrews website (https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-course/booking-the-old-course). Be sure to have your handicap cards with you. For local links tracks, I've played at Crail, Elie, Lundin Links (right next to Leven), and Panmure (next to Monifieth), all within about a half hour drive from St Andrews, and enjoyed all of them. You could play all 36 holes at Crail for less than 18 at Kingsbarns. Its been a few years since I was there, but I was able to book mid-week fourballs at Panmure and Lundin with only a couple of days advance notice. I imagine the same would apply for the other "unknown" courses. Of course, the New and Jubilee are fabulous links right in St Andrews, its certainly worth a phone call or walk out to the Links Clubhouse to see if there's something available there.

I absolutely fell in love with links golf when I was there earlier this summer. So much more fun and creative than desert style target golf here in AZ. If it wasn't so dang cold I would love to live in an area that was predominately links golf.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey HackerDave,

Crail

Leven Links

Monifieth Medal

Panmure GC

Dave

You like/rate Leven ahead of Lundin?????

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

• 2 months later...

I am getting ready for my second trip to Scotland for golf this summer. My wife got tickets for us to go to the Open Championship on Saturday and Sunday and we are staying in St. Andrews from Wednesday through Monday. Staying with some locals and playing the Old Course and Kingsbarns. Before the tournament we are heading to Inverness (Thursday-Wednesday) and will be playing Nairn, Royal Dornoch, and Castle Stuart.

The first time I went I was able to join a group at the last minute(they had someone drop out due to baby births coming early). We stayed west coast(the group had gone east the year before) and played Turnberry, Royal Troon, Prestwick, Prestwick St. Nicholas, West Kilbride, Gailes. It was an amazing experience, and one I recommend for everyone(Ture Links golf that is). In the span of a little over a week I saw three separate seasons, almost saw three in one day, LOL. We either carried or pushed our clubs, after having a weird day on the first day, I started pushing so I could carry extra clothing without the extra weight. The third day it rained so hard it was difficult to see flagsticks, and it rained late into the evening. The next morning most of the water was gone, it was absolutely amazing.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I like Links courses because I have a low but accurate (sometimes) ball flight. The first course i played in the UK was Hesketh near Birkdale, and my first shot went bounding away down the fairway about 50 yards further than expected - i found it in a ditch from memory and had to hack it out to continue but yeah its a different game, full of surprises. Playing the Old Course is kind of mystical because you have to almost play it by feel. And Carnoustie is just brilliant. Finally the weather - when it gets bad tell yourself - Here I am playing golf in Scotland!!

#LinksGolf4Life

For all those guys making the trip across for a golf pilgrimage I tried to put together some information to help with planning. Always happy to take questions from members who want a particular steer. Have a great time.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1504576-scotland-golf-trip-101-the-compass-guide/

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

• 3 weeks later...

the majority of 'links style' courses in the US aren't links-style courses ... if you can't run the ball onto a majority of the greens, it's not a links course ... so playing the older courses over there is required if you want the truest links style course there is ... i've been 3 times and in the process of planning a trip next summer (note to those planning their first trip: only 10 % of the people you invite and who initially say "hell yes" will actually commit to going - nothing against them, them's just the statistics) ... i like the idea of being able to run the ball up and on to the green ... my home course doesn't afford that possibility at all, on any hole ... of course, there's a bit more randomness when the ball's on the ground, so you have to have a "whatever" attitude and deal with the bounces ... links golf is more similar to life than target golf, imo, so i like it a bit more ... :golfer: