Best Rain gear

chbrake

> @oneunderbogey said:

> Thoughts on cross sports wear? I know the sizing runs small, but it doesnt really bother me to size up and the sizing chart seems clear enough. Was thinking about getting the M Pro Jacket (20k/20k) and the hurricane pants (15k/15k) total would be $212 shipped. From what I have seen I don't think I could do much better for the price. Anything else I should look at in the sub 300 range?

I am interested as well on both of these. Looks really solide and the smaller sizing doesn't bother me either.

> @dixonterp10 said:

> > @oneunderbogey said:

> > Thoughts on cross sports wear? I know the sizing runs small, but it doesnt really bother me to size up and the sizing chart seems clear enough. Was thinking about getting the M Pro Jacket (20k/20k) and the hurricane pants (15k/15k) total would be $212 shipped. From what I have seen I don't think I could do much better for the price. Anything else I should look at in the sub 300 range?

>

> I am interested as well on both of these. Looks really solide and the smaller sizing doesn't bother me either.

For pants, I went with the Cross M Edge Chino for a few reasons.

1. Their 20k/20k waterproofing/breathability rating.

2. They were/are on sale ($108*).

3. Unlike traditional "contingency rain pants" that have zippers/velcro at the bottom (which prevent alterations for inseam length), the M Edge Chinos are just regular pants that can be shortened/hemmed at the bottom relatively easily by a tailor. I need a 28" or 29" inseam, but most of the "contingency rain pant"-style rain pants (with zippered bottoms) typically have 32" inseams or longer.

I usually wear a 35" or 36" waist in pants, which would have been a Large (34"-36") based on Cross' [sizing chart](https://cross-sportswear.com/wp-content/uploads/size-chart-cross-1-2015-e1430988507763.jpg "sizing chart")... but luckily I ordered the M Edge Chinos in XL (38"). The M Edge Chino pants have a slim Euro cut and fit snugly. I'm really happy with them so far. They've kept me dry and are surprisingly stretchy and breathable.

Note: The Cross website lists the "Fit" specification as "Narrow" for the M Edge Chino, the (non-Chino) M Edge, and the M Hurricane pants. The M Pro pant, however, has a "Fit" spec of "Regular" (a looser fit, presumably).

I also purchased the Cross M Edge rain jacket and am happy with that as well. Dry, lightweight and stretchy. Slim Euro cut. I'm usually a Medium in both Under Armour and Adidas golf jackets, but I ordered the Cross M Edge jacket in Large. The Large fit me snugly, but I can still wear a baselayer, a golf shirt, and a midlayer comfortably inside the Edge jacket. (As with the pants, the "Fit" spec for the M Edge and M Hurricane jackets is "Narrow", whereas the M Pro jacket's "Fit" is listed as "Regular".)

Guessing the right sizes was my biggest concern. The Cross website mentions free return shipping _worldwide_, but luckily I didn't have to mess with that since my guesses on the sizing were good. _I should mention, though, that I'm fine with keeping the slim-fitting Edge pants and jacket because I often play in really windy conditions and dislike the sound of loudly-flapping loose clothing when I'm about to swing/putt._

*Cross charges a $20 flat shipping fee to USA. Also, my BofA credit card charged me a 3% foreign transaction fee since Cross deals in Swedish Kronors. Still a good deal (at the sale prices), but these extra costs and the potential hassle of shipping back to Sweden had weighed on my mind before I made the order.

UPDATE Oct 9:

When laid flat, the measurement across the chest is just under 23.5 inches:

[https://i.ibb.co/nghMDJQ/2019-10-02-11-48-09.jpg](https://i.ibb.co/nghMDJQ/2019-10-02-11-48-09.jpg "https://i.ibb.co/nghMDJQ/2019-10-02-11-48-09.jpg")![](https://i.ibb.co/nghMDJQ/2019-10-02-11-48-09.jpg "")

• Like 1

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

> @oneunderbogey said:

> What's your height and weight grumpycat

I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs.

For reference, I have a few pairs of (regular non-rain) golf pants from both Adidas (Climacool Ultimate Airflow, Ultimate 365) and Under Armour (Showdown, MatchPlay) in waist size 36" that fit me well.

In KJUS apparel (slim fit, like Cross), I'm between a size EU54 (US-XL) and EU56 (US-2XL) in pants; I'm a size EU52 (US-Large) in Kjus jackets.

The disadvantage of rain pants like the Cross M Edge Chinos and the Galway Bay All-Weather Pants is that you would have to already be wearing them before you even get to the first teebox. They're not the traditional kind of packable "contingency rain pants" that are usually stuffed into the bottom of your golf bag and only get pulled out and thrown on (over your regular pants/shorts) if wet weather shows up later mid-round.

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

> @chris975d said:

> > @kylesilk said:

> > Chris....what is the model of the FJ premium jacket you mentioned?

>

> DryJoy Select LS. It’s supposed to be one of the lightest 20K rated jackets out there. Have to get with my rep to see when I can get in one to try out.

Hey Chris, thanks for all the great info! you know your shi.....stuff! Any experience or information you can pass along regarding the RLX rain gear? I got a pair of rain pants for a good deal but hesitant on spending $250+ on the matching rain jacket.

Ping G400 - 8.5 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV X-Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash - 3W - Fujikura 757 TR 

Callaway Epic Flash - 5W - HZRDUS Smoke 

Mizuno MP20 - 4-7 MMC, 8-P MB - Project X LZ

Vokey SM6 - 52/56/60 - DG S200

Evnroll - ER5 

> @TheMarvelousOne said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @kylesilk said:

> > > Chris....what is the model of the FJ premium jacket you mentioned?

> >

> > DryJoy Select LS. It’s supposed to be one of the lightest 20K rated jackets out there. Have to get with my rep to see when I can get in one to try out.

>

> Hey Chris, thanks for all the great info! you know your shi.....stuff! Any experience or information you can pass along regarding the RLX rain gear? I got a pair of rain pants for a good deal but hesitant on spending $250+ on the matching rain jacket.

I have owned a matching jacket and pants of one of their older styles (2-3 years ago), and I found it to be on par with middle of the road stuff. Fit was really good (tailored fit like I like, not baggy or blocky cut like most US based clothing), and stretch was good. But with all the sales that are constantly on their website, there’s zero way I’d ever pay $250 for that. You can get top of the line FootJoy (if you know how to haggle off of the silly MSRP attached to it), PING Zero Gravity, on sale Galvin Green, Under Armour (in my opinion, the best implementations/uses of GoreTex in jackets of any manufacturer over the past 3-5 years)...you can even catch KJUS on sale for around that price. Do not pay $250 for a RLX jacket, unless for some reason you’re just a real fan of that brand.

> @chris975d said:

> > @TheMarvelousOne said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @kylesilk said:

> > > > Chris....what is the model of the FJ premium jacket you mentioned?

> > >

> > > DryJoy Select LS. It’s supposed to be one of the lightest 20K rated jackets out there. Have to get with my rep to see when I can get in one to try out.

> >

> > Hey Chris, thanks for all the great info! you know your shi.....stuff! Any experience or information you can pass along regarding the RLX rain gear? I got a pair of rain pants for a good deal but hesitant on spending $250+ on the matching rain jacket.

>

> I have owned a matching jacket and pants of one of their older styles (2-3 years ago), and I found it to be on par with middle of the road stuff. Fit was really good (tailored fit like I like, not baggy or blocky cut like most US based clothing), and stretch was good. But with all the sales that are constantly on their website, there’s zero way I’d ever pay $250 for that. You can get top of the line FootJoy (if you know how to haggle off of the silly MSRP attached to it), PING Zero Gravity, on sale Galvin Green, Under Armour (in my opinion, the best implementations/uses of GoreTex in jackets of any manufacturer over the past 3-5 years)...you can even catch KJUS on sale for around that price. Do not pay $250 for a RLX jacket, unless for some reason you’re just a real fan of that brand.

thank you!!

Ping G400 - 8.5 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV X-Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash - 3W - Fujikura 757 TR 

Callaway Epic Flash - 5W - HZRDUS Smoke 

Mizuno MP20 - 4-7 MMC, 8-P MB - Project X LZ

Vokey SM6 - 52/56/60 - DG S200

Evnroll - ER5 

Pulled the trigger on the Kjus Pro 3L (edit: 2.0 version). Since they do sizing by numbers I went with the same size as what I wear in a sportcoat. It's certainly a trim fit, which is perfect for my frame.

First impressions just swinging around the house mirror what others have said, in that it doesn't feel restrictive at all and the zipper doesn't bubble forward when you bend over to take your stance.

Really liked that the pants had both regular pockets and reach through slots. That's a smart combo.

My one tiny knock is that I wish it had a little stretch under the armpit. It's a very tailored armhole. With a few layers I could feel the fabric. Some stretch right there would solve the issue.

Looking forward to trying it on the course.

Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

> @benno_r said:

> Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

>

> We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

yeah something like a dexter would be good. it's rain proof only, thin layer, no warmth to it.

> @CousinDonuts said:

> Pulled the trigger on the Kjus Pro 3L. Since they do sizing by numbers I went with the same size as what I wear in a sportcoat. It's certainly a trim fit, which is perfect for my frame.

> First impressions just swinging around the house mirror what others have said, in that it doesn't feel restrictive at all and the zipper doesn't bubble forward when you bend over to take your stance.

>

> Really liked that the pants had both regular pockets and reach through slots. That's a smart combo.

>

> My one tiny knock is that I wish it had a little stretch under the armpit. It's a very tailored armhole. With a few layers I could feel the fabric. Some stretch right there would solve the issue.

> Looking forward to trying it on the course.

good feedback. original or 2.0?

> @tropics said:

> > @benno_r said:

> > Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

> >

> > We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

>

> yeah something like a dexter would be good. it's rain proof only, thin layer, no warmth to it.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

> @tropics said:

> > @benno_r said:

> > Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

> >

> > We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

>

> yeah something like a dexter would be good. it's rain proof only, thin layer, no warmth to it.

Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

> @chris975d said:

> > @tropics said:

> > > @benno_r said:

> > > Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

> > >

> > > We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

> >

> > yeah something like a dexter would be good. it's rain proof only, thin layer, no warmth to it.

>

> Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

That's a shame. Do you know of any other brand that offers serious waterproofing but no added warmth?

> @benno_r said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @tropics said:

> > > > @benno_r said:

> > > > Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

> > > >

> > > > We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

> > >

> > > yeah something like a dexter would be good. it's rain proof only, thin layer, no warmth to it.

> >

> > Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

>

> That's a shame. Do you know of any other brand that offers serious waterproofing but no added warmth?

The PING Zero Gravity pullover top fills that role for me.

> @chris975d said:

> > @benno_r said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @tropics said:

> > > > > @benno_r said:

> > > > > Being in a small country town in Australia, we don't have any decent rain gear in stock. I like the look of the Kjus - not not sure how light weight it is.

> > > > >

> > > > > We only play in warm summer rain - so looking for a light, quality jacket than breathes, and has no additional layering inside. Would the Kjus be a good choice here?

> > > >

> > > > yeah something like a dexter would be good. it's rain proof only, thin layer, no warmth to it.

> > >

> > > Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

> >

> > That's a shame. Do you know of any other brand that offers serious waterproofing but no added warmth?

>

> The PING Zero Gravity pullover top fills that role for me.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

>

> Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

think i saw you mention that before, what was the deal again? you got wet and kjus said that was expected?

my dexter has always kept me dry and i get hit reasonably hard in ireland. YMMV i guess. it's described as "highly waterproof" on the website.

• Like 1

> @tropics said:

>

> >

> > Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

>

> think i saw you mention that before, what was the deal again? you got wet and kjus said that was expected?

> my dexter has always kept me dry and i get hit reasonably hard in ireland. YMMV i guess. it's described as "highly waterproof" on the website.

Yes, info straight from Kjus. The wording they used was actually a “rescue piece”, and not for use in sustained rain.

> @chris975d said:

> > @tropics said:

> >

> > >

> > > Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

> >

> > think i saw you mention that before, what was the deal again? you got wet and kjus said that was expected?

> > my dexter has always kept me dry and i get hit reasonably hard in ireland. YMMV i guess. it's described as "highly waterproof" on the website.

>

> Yes, info straight from Kjus. The wording they used was actually a “rescue piece”, and not for use in sustained rain.

Chris- any changes that you have heard of now the kjus is owned by acushnet? Are the footjoy reps trained on it yet?

> @Unteachable said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @tropics said:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > Keep in mind the Dexter WILL NOT keep rain out for any serious prolonged exposure to a downpour. It is classified as an very lightweight emergency piece to stowe away in your bag and get you back indoors when an unexpected rain event occurs. It IS NOT designed for sustained use in rain (i.e, wearing while playing in a rain).

> > >

> > > think i saw you mention that before, what was the deal again? you got wet and kjus said that was expected?

> > > my dexter has always kept me dry and i get hit reasonably hard in ireland. YMMV i guess. it's described as "highly waterproof" on the website.

> >

> > Yes, info straight from Kjus. The wording they used was actually a “rescue piece”, and not for use in sustained rain.

>

> Chris- any changes that you have heard of now the kjus is owned by acushnet? Are the footjoy reps trained on it yet?

Very little info so far, but from what I have heard, Kjus will stay as a separate entity. FJ reps will not be repping Kjus, the reps will stay separate. That’s the last info I have.

> @hwturner17 said:

> Any reviews of the DryJoys Select LS or the HydroKnit?

The LS just very recently launched, so you probably won’t see much on it yet. And it’s been dry as a bone here in GA since about Feb., and nothing rain related on the horizon, so I haven’t had a chance to get it in and test it yet.

> @chris975d said:

> > @hwturner17 said:

> > Any reviews of the DryJoys Select LS or the HydroKnit?

>

> The LS just very recently launched, so you probably won’t see much on it yet. And it’s been dry as a bone here in GA since about Feb., and nothing rain related on the horizon, so I haven’t had a chance to get it in and test it yet.

I'm down in NWFL. Can't believe how dry it's been recently. If grass isn't being watered in perpetuity it's dying.

The one thing that kind of puts me off on the hydro knit is that it doesn't have jacket pockets, but the price is much better and it's likely a more versatile jacket for my needs and location

Side note for my fellow Americans about ordering from European websites: I found a 20%-30% off deal on Kjus jackets from a German outdoor store late last week and, now that I know my size, placed an order on Saturday for a jacket. On Monday I wake up to a "we have cancelled your order" email. Obviously I responded to inquire what was going on. This morning I received a follow-up stating that they were not allowed to ship Kjus to the US.

Anyone else experience something like that from other sites or other brands?

Yes. Pro quip has done the same. They want you to use their US distribution chain, which for many of us means less discount options

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS