2018 Phoenix Course Conditions

BUCKEYERBALL88

Playing Arizona grand tomorrow with some co workers. Will be my 1st round since moving to the valley.

LOL...sorry to hear this....guess you will be moving back to Texas post that round. You could not have chosen a worse place to start your AZ golfing experience. But hey, it pretty much cannot get any worse....! :)

Ha! I was expecting to hear this honestly. The coworkers don't golf very much (3 or 4 times a year) but I let them pick the course once they started talking about trying to stay under $50 for the round. I haven't touched a club in a month, so I will use this round to shake the dust off.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing Arizona grand tomorrow with some co workers. Will be my 1st round since moving to the valley.

LOL...sorry to hear this....guess you will be moving back to Texas post that round. You could not have chosen a worse place to start your AZ golfing experience. But hey, it pretty much cannot get any worse....! :)

Ha! I was expecting to hear this honestly. The coworkers don't golf very much (3 or 4 times a year) but I let them pick the course once they started talking about trying to stay under $50 for the round. I haven't touched a club in a month, so I will use this round to shake the dust off.

You should see if you can switch to AZ Golf Resort....just about as cheap and much better.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Lol. Just checking into Arizona Grand and they don't have a range, just hitting nets?!?! WTF. Last time I ever let my co workers pick a course

There are, no exaggeration, at least 175 better golf courses in the metro area than AZ Grand. That number may be 200 BTW. You're starting at very near the bottom so, like Joe said, it is all looking up from here.

Papago today

Pace was very slow especially on the front 9

Greens were a bit bumpy

Bunkers are above average for Phx

Played Papago Saturday and Sunday. Greens were bumpy in spots, but overall course was very good. Conditions were tougher on Sunday with wind.

How often do public courses change their pins? The greens at Papago weren’t bad yesterday but they were bumpy. I played in the afternoon & also it seemed like they had used the same pin position for 2-3 days (ball & spike marks)

Papago today

Pace was very slow especially on the front 9

Greens were a bit bumpy

Bunkers are above average for Phx

Played Papago Saturday and Sunday. Greens were bumpy in spots, but overall course was very good. Conditions were tougher on Sunday with wind.

How often do public courses change their pins? The greens at Papago weren't bad yesterday but they were bumpy. I played in the afternoon & also it seemed like they had used the same pin position for 2-3 days (ball & spike marks)

Papago changes its pins ever day. It is just really busy this time of year. Plus, still putting a lot of water on greens which shows ball marks and traffic.

I actually thought the greens were pretty fast.

Played Cave Creek again this past weekend since it was one of the few courses that had an early opening last minute and it was in great shape. Greens rolling fast, fairways dried out a little since last time and rough was pretty good too. Tee off was at 7:52 and got done at 11:30 so pace was good as well. It's quickly sneaking into my top 4 for cheap winter golf. I know the greens are a little ridiculous but for some reason I don't mind them here.

Toka Sticks today, pretty pure coming off the waste management prequalifier. One of those places that’s a good deal under $40 but not worth much more.

Az Golf resort last thurs, greens were rolling really nice, tad slow but true. One of the courses that’s better in the summer IMO since the rough grows in vs the thin dormant Bermuda that’s out there now. Totally different course in the summer

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

1/3-4 - AZ Biltmore Adobe/Links - both in good condition. Course was practically empty and I flew around these courses. Links course has so much more character than the adobe course

1/9 - McDowell Mountain - Great shape, first time playing here.

1/10 - The Duke - very rough around the edges. Extremely slow, but fairways and greens decent.

1/17 - Las Sendas - Great shape as always. One of my favorite courses to play in the valley for the money. You can usually find some good deals out here if you're a single

1/19 - Las Colinas - First time playing here also and I was unimpressed for the $50 I paid to play here. Also rough around the edges. Course was packed but pace of play was good.

1/22 - Ocotillo Blue/Gold - Great shape with the exception of a few greens that were just beaten up by ball marks. Also, being there's so much water on this course, you're going to have a thick layer of goose crap on the bottom of your shoes by the end of the round. Don't lick your golf ball to clean it.

1/23 - The Duke - got a good deal out here, but unfortunately there was a 2+ hour frost delay to go with the slow play. Many bunkers filled with huge rocks, a total joke. I like the layout, but the conditions really turned me off this time.

1/24 - Verrado Founders - 2nd time out here. Very nice conditions, great rolling greens. Played from the tips and nice to have a course with some length that lets me hit long irons into some par 4s and not necessarily reach all the par 5s.

1/26 - Club West - Don't plan on coming back to what could be a good course. Give it a fair shot twice this year, but it's so poorly ran. Starter sent out an entire group of members playing skins in front of me (after he told me to hurry up with my range balls so he could get me out early). Ended up having to wait 30+ minutes after my tee time for them all to go off because "they all go off at once and we never know how many there will be). Well isn't that nice. Good fairways and greens, but rest of the course looks unfinished.

1/28 - Trilogy Power Ranch - Haven't played out here in many years but will probably be going back. There were a couple greens out there that had rough patches on them but for the most part rolled well. Inconsistent bunkers and pretty thin on the sand. For the price of the round I think it's a good value.

1/31 - Lone Tree - Greens were rolling great and with decent speed. Saw my playing partners roll their 4 footers 6ft by on more than one occasion.

Played Aguila on Saturday. Fairways were in great shape but the greens were a little rough. Very patchy and didn't roll very well. Speed wise they were ok but it just looks like the grass wasn't filling in very well. Odd because 4 or 5 weeks ago they were in amazing shape. Bunkers still obviously out but you can tell they are in the process of renovating.

Southern Dunes Sunday with Qmany.

Pretty pure, couple of mud balls makes me reminisce for days of old when it truly was firm and fast. Greens perfect speed and rolling pure. Greens on the firm side and not holding short game spin very well which is ok just need to play for it.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

1/3-4 - AZ Biltmore Adobe/Links - both in good condition. Course was practically empty and I flew around these courses. Links course has so much more character than the adobe course

1/10 - The Duke - very rough around the edges. Extremely slow, but fairways and greens decent.

1/17 - Las Sendas - Great shape as always. One of my favorite courses to play in the valley for the money. You can usually find some good deals out here if you're a single

1/19 - Las Colinas - First time playing here also and I was unimpressed for the $50 I paid to play here. Also rough around the edges. Course was packed but pace of play was good.

1/22 - Ocotillo Blue/Gold - Great shape with the exception of a few greens that were just beaten up by ball marks. Also, being there's so much water on this course, you're going to have a thick layer of goose crap on the bottom of your shoes by the end of the round. Don't lick your golf ball to clean it.

1/23 - The Duke - got a good deal out here, but unfortunately there was a 2+ hour frost delay to go with the slow play. Many bunkers filled with huge rocks, a total joke. I like the layout, but the conditions really turned me off this time.

1/24 - Verrado Founders - 2nd time out here. Very nice conditions, great rolling greens. Played from the tips and nice to have a course with some length that lets me hit long irons into some par 4s and not necessarily reach all the par 5s.

1/26 - Club West - Don't plan on coming back to what could be a good course. Give it a fair shot twice this year, but it's so poorly ran. Starter sent out an entire group of members playing skins in front of me (after he told me to hurry up with my range balls so he could get me out early). Ended up having to wait 30+ minutes after my tee time for them all to go off because "they all go off at once and we never know how many there will be). Well isn't that nice. Good fairways and greens, but rest of the course looks unfinished.

1/28 - Trilogy Power Ranch - Haven't played out here in many years but will probably be going back. There were a couple greens out there that had rough patches on them but for the most part rolled well. Inconsistent bunkers and pretty thin on the sand. For the price of the round I think it's a good value.

1/31 - Lone Tree - Greens were rolling great and with decent speed. Saw my playing partners roll their 4 footers 6ft by on more than one occasion.

Las Colinas is criminal for $50. That's a course that makes sense for $15-20 in the summer, otherwise I'd rather go to Toka. Do you prefer Lone Tree over Trilogy? Both are close to me and I haven't made it to either yet.

Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5˚ AD-DI 6s
3W - Taylormade 2016 M1 15˚
3H -Nike Sasquatch Sumo 2
4-P - Nike Vapor Pro Modus 120 Stiff
Wedges - Nike Engage Square 52˚ 56˚ Dual Sole 60˚
Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum
Bag - Nike Vapor Air Hybrid Carry

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein
Instagram - @CoreyMilstein

Played Aguila on Saturday. Fairways were in great shape but the greens were a little rough. Very patchy and didn't roll very well. Speed wise they were ok but it just looks like the grass wasn't filling in very well. Odd because 4 or 5 weeks ago they were in amazing shape. Bunkers still obviously out but you can tell they are in the process of renovating.

I played it a couple weeks ago. Had the same thought on the greens but found they rolled surprisingly well. They just looked thin. Too bad to hear they aren't rolling well now.

Now for really odd, the next day my wife and I played the little par 3 course out there. Those greens were absolutely perfect.

Played Trilogy Golf Club Power Ranch today. This is just my second round of golf since moving to the valley. The whole course was in pretty good condition. The course is really close to where I live, so that makes it convenient as well.

I really enjoy that course. I played it several times this summer and I like the layout and has good greens.

Playing Lone Tree Saturday. I live right next to it and prettty cheap late in the day.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Las Colinas is criminal for $50. That's a course that makes sense for $15-20 in the summer, otherwise I'd rather go to Toka. Do you prefer Lone Tree over Trilogy? Both are close to me and I haven't made it to either yet.

Condition and price wise I would say they are very similar. Would put them on the same playing field so give either one (or both) a shot!

I played Camelback Ambiente a couple days ago, pure golf course! Got a great deal on Golfnow and would love to go back.