2018 Phoenix Course Conditions

BUCKEYERBALL88

Played Toka Sticks yesterday with my 6yo. Course was in fine shape. Greens rolled true but were a touch slower than normal. The couple bunkers I found were decent as well.

Teed of at 3 caught a 2some when my 6yo stopped playing, then smooth sailing the rest of the day. I was suprised by how few ball marks were on the greens for a Sunday afternoon, then remembered it was masters Sunday lol.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the overall consensus on Talking Stick? Have some friends coming in from Texas for a bachelor party in Scottsdale. They are staying at Talking Stick so playing 2 rounds there. I am joining them for one of the rounds, not sure on which course though.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Talking Stick courses. Coore & Crenshaw designs if that means anything, I really like their work. They are rather minimalist in nature, built on flat ground without a lot of earth moving. No bold landscapes, no sweeping views, no elevation changes, just pure golf.

The North course has a more rustic, rugged feel, blending naturally with the desert. The South course is more of a traditional parkland feel with old style push-up greens.

I like the North a little more. It is overlooked because of the lack of WOW compared to the touristy courses, but I find it fun to play with interesting features that you don't often see on modern courses (centerline hazards, etc). In my top 10 AZ.

Can't speak to the value price-wise or current conditioning.

I will comment that the last two times I played there, the resort was having the "pool party" thing. Extremely annoying loud "music" that could be heard out to the far reaches of the course and sounded like the same song being played for four hours.

Played Grayhawk Raptor yesterday and is was good - just good/really good. I usually look for something more from Grayhawk when paying a premium. The pace was good, the course was good but not great. The greens were a little inconsistent with some having had some sort of treatment - not full aeration but something. Speed varied. Overall I wouldn’t avoid it but when paying that price I look for more and didn’t get it. Can’t quite articulate what was missing but it didn’t wow me this trip.

Driver - Titleist TSR3 9.0 HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0
Fairway - Titleist TSR3 15* AD-UB 7
Hybrid - Titleist TSR3 19*
Irons - Srixon Z565 4-5i PX LZ 6.0, Z765 6-AW PX LZ 6.0 hard stepped 1x
Wedges - Vokey SM9 46F, 50F, 54D/M, 58V/T
Putter - Scotty GOLO6 34”
Ball - Pro V1x #68

Is Karsten worth $42 next Sat? I know ppl bash it on here, but I have never played it and looking for a descent price right now.

Good to hear you boys are loving the G400 Max. P8 and I are both testers and were fit at Ping. Can't wait to get my first round in next weekend. Work has been killing me.

HUGE NO - imo! If it is your only option, I guess so...but would discourage it.

Go play Southern Dunes for 79 at 110....way better option.

Haha. I hear you. I may try it because it has to be better than Lone Tree or Bear Creek where I normally play by my house.

Thanks.

Man I should have listened. Was it ok for $42 and played by myself in 2:30 minutes. Yes.

Greens were terrible and the tee markers did not allow a flat tee shot. Stupid. Fun tricked layout and lots of short Par 4’s, but I don’t think I will be back.

I can check that one off the list.

I’m surprised it was in bad shape. ASU women’s team had a home tourney a few weeks ago & the men’s team hosts this upcoming weekend

What's the overall consensus on Talking Stick? Have some friends coming in from Texas for a bachelor party in Scottsdale. They are staying at Talking Stick so playing 2 rounds there. I am joining them for one of the rounds, not sure on which course though.

You have to really really like Coore/Crenshaw to appreciate TS. The more you like Coore/Crenshaw the more you will probably like the North over the South or whatever they're called now. South is more of a resort style build out where the North is more minimalist.

I love Coore/Crenshaw but I am not sure they were the best choice for this particular piece of land. Also given their resume and some of the pieces of property they have worked with I'm kinda surprised they took on the project as they are usually quality over quantity in their design projects.

One other thing to consider is from May to Sept/Oct the resort has a large scale pool party and if you are playing either course on a weekend after about 10am your round will be drowned out by very loud music.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Is Karsten worth $42 next Sat? I know ppl bash it on here, but I have never played it and looking for a descent price right now.

Good to hear you boys are loving the G400 Max. P8 and I are both testers and were fit at Ping. Can't wait to get my first round in next weekend. Work has been killing me.

Haha. I hear you. I may try it because it has to be better than Lone Tree or Bear Creek where I normally play by my house.

Thanks.

Man I should have listened. Was it ok for $42 and played by myself in 2:30 minutes. Yes.

Greens were terrible and the tee markers did not allow a flat tee shot. Stupid. Fun tricked layout and lots of short Par 4’s, but I don’t think I will be back.

I’m surprised it was in bad shape. ASU women’s team had a home tourney a few weeks ago & the men’s team hosts this upcoming weekend

College, mini-tour and even stuff like USGA qualifying events don't have the best shape at all times. Heck, even the European Tour and Web.com tour struggle with conditions at various times.

Karsten, plain and simple, is a terrible golf course that is rarely in good condition. The only way I'd even pay to play there is if it benefited me in some other way. There are significantly cheaper and better courses all over the valley.

Played Toka Sticks yesterday with my 6yo. Course was in fine shape. Greens rolled true but were a touch slower than normal. The couple bunkers I found were decent as well.

Teed of at 3 caught a 2some when my 6yo stopped playing, then smooth sailing the rest of the day. I was suprised by how few ball marks were on the greens for a Sunday afternoon, then remembered it was masters Sunday lol.

I went out later Sunday (4:50) and played in just over 2 hours. Has me hopeful to start playing some quick weekend afternoon rounds.

Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5˚ AD-DI 6s
3W - Taylormade 2016 M1 15˚
3H -Nike Sasquatch Sumo 2
4-P - Nike Vapor Pro Modus 120 Stiff
Wedges - Nike Engage Square 52˚ 56˚ Dual Sole 60˚
Putter - Nike Method 001
Ball - Nike RZN Platinum
Bag - Nike Vapor Air Hybrid Carry

Twitter - @CoreyMilstein
Instagram - @CoreyMilstein

Thanks.

Can’t belive they would have a tournament if that level there. Around and behind the first green had grass growing that looked like a pasture.

I am not picky at all or a golf snob, but this was kind of bad. I will say most fairways were good. Still couldn’t belive the crowned tee boxes.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Played Troon Pinnacle yesterday and it was good. Fairways were surprisingly wet which was unexpected. Greens were solid with good speed. Faster than Verde River and Grayhawk. Pace of play was decent too for 11am at Troon — about 4h40. My wife road along and I was paired with 3 women who were an absolute riot! Good thing they were fun because I hit it like a donkeys a**. Maybe drinking for me and my pregnant wife the night before up at the Four Seasons wasn’t my best idea! ...but it’s vacation so whatever.

Ball - Pro V1x #68

WeKoPa Saguaro today. Not as full as I remember. Lots of thin areas. Maybe grass in transition? Certainly not a reason to avoid a great course. Greens were rolling nicely and nice pace. Pace of play was good especially for 9:50 on a Friday. The 20-30mph winds were not friendly at all!

Ball - Pro V1x #68

Toka Sticks was fine. A few wet areas in the fairways, a few traps without a lot of sand. First time playing it, like the layout, greens with enough undulations to keep things interesting.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Has anyone played Quintero lately? I booked it golf now for wed afternoon for $80.

Gcu sat afternoon twilight

Paid about $30 to walk with city card & Range balls

Customer service-C. Friendly but it’s a muni so I don’t have expectations.

Pace of play-C+. 4h 35m. Seems to always slow up on the par 3 over water #7 or 8? I expected slow pace. Twilight muni. Happy to finish before sunset

Bunkers-B-. I think they put a few too many out there for a muni. Most are deep & some are not strategic

Tees A-

Fairways B-

Greens-B

Talking stick both courses. They were in good shape, greens were good and rolled well. Bunkers had decent sand and fairways were pretty good.

Overall a pretty decent experience on both courses.

How was the pace? Which course did you prefer?

Pace was just ok. Finished both rounds around the 4 and a half hour mark. I preferred the South course, or Piipaash course.

Cave Creek, teed off at 1000, finished in exactly 4 hours.

Course is very dry right now, obviously transitioning to summer conditions. Greens are not holding many shots, pretty baked out.

Still a good time and fun layout once you adjust to the conditions.

4 hours on a muni on Sunday at 10 am. Awesome!!!

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Has anyone played Quintero lately? I booked it golf now for wed afternoon for $80.

Customer service-C. Friendly but it's a muni so I don't have expectations.

Pace of play-C+. 4h 35m. Seems to always slow up on the par 3 over water #7 or 8? I expected slow pace. Twilight muni. Happy to finish before sunset

Bunkers-B-. I think they put a few too many out there for a muni. Most are deep & some are not strategic

Tees A-

Fairways B-

Greens-B

I played 36 at Quintero last Thursday. Course was in really good shape as per usual. I would say the greens were a little slower than normal.. typically when we play there they are lightning, but I would say they were a touch slower than normal. Really good shape overall. It was a touch wet in the morning round, but then dried up nice for the afternoon round.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Cave Creek, teed off at 1000, finished in exactly 4 hours.

Course is very dry right now, obviously transitioning to summer conditions. Greens are not holding many shots, pretty baked out.

Still a good time and fun layout once you adjust to the conditions.

4 hours on a muni on Sunday at 10 am. Awesome!!!

Yeah, I was shocked!

Customer service-C. Friendly but it's a muni so I don't have expectations.

Tees A-

Fairways B-

Greens-B

I played 36 at Quintero last Thursday. Course was in really good shape as per usual. I would say the greens were a little slower than normal.. typically when we play there they are lightning, but I would say they were a touch slower than normal. Really good shape overall. It was a touch wet in the morning round, but then dried up nice for the afternoon round.

Thx

Played Aguila on Saturday. Course was in surprisingly good shape given that some others are transitioning right now. Greens were fairly firm but not overly so and were rolling pretty fast and pretty smooth as well. Fairways were mid range in firmness. My only complaint is that some of the bunkers looked like they were already lacking sand after the recent work done. All of the sand was raked up the sides and the middle was already starting to get thin. I teed off at 7:36 and played in about 4:15 with all four of us walking and having a few 2 to 5 minutes waits on 6-8 holes.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Played Southern Dunes on Sunday 4/15. The course was in great shape. Greens were hard and fast. I’ve seen some people mention their bunkers and if I really had to pick on something, I would say the bunker conditions varied. With that being said, all were in acceptable conditions. Free bottled water on the course to keep hydrated. Golf was great. Customer service was average. Worth $102.

On Monday 4/16 we played We Ko Pa Chollo. I loved the course. Course condition was excellent as it should be for $170 including tax. Southern dunes greens were much harder and faster in my opinion. Customer service was below average to non-existent. Nobody came for th bags as we walked up. Got rushed off the range to arrive at the tee box with people on the green and people in the fairway. When i went in to pay it was simply hello and the price. I get that we’re going out to play golf. For me the entire experience counts, and We Ko Pa has some room for improvement in regards to customer service.

Played Southern Dunes on Sunday 4/15. The course was in great shape. Greens were hard and fast. I've seen some people mention their bunkers and if I really had to pick on something, I would say the bunker conditions varied. With that being said, all were in acceptable conditions. Free bottled water on the course to keep hydrated. Golf was great. Customer service was average. Worth $102.

On Monday 4/16 we played We Ko Pa Chollo. I loved the course. Course condition was excellent as it should be for $170 including tax. Southern dunes greens were much harder and faster in my opinion. Customer service was below average to non-existent. Nobody came for th bags as we walked up. Got rushed off the range to arrive at the tee box with people on the green and people in the fairway. When i went in to pay it was simply hello and the price. I get that we're going out to play golf. For me the entire experience counts, and We Ko Pa has some room for improvement in regards to customer service.

I was there Monday morning too and it was the same! there were 4 guys at the front stand and not a single one bothered to come our bags. Then when they finally did load them on the cart, they left the cart up front. We walked out expecting them to be near the pro shop or the vicinity, nope---we had to walk back to the front stand!

Those guys are getting worse and worse as time goes by! It is getting ridiculous at this point.

As usual...bunkers suck, rest of the course great.

Wekopa has never had good service with the bag staff, especially the morning crew. The shop has always been nice to me, starter hit and miss, but the bag staff upon arrival is almost always a big miss. As someone who has worked in the service industries most of my life I pick up on it but when it comes to golf I dont let it be a deciding factor on where I play. EX I dont go play Grayhawk more just because they have some of the best staff anywhere in town.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

made the trek down to Francisco Grande last week. it has been at least well over 5 years. tee to green it was in decent shape. architecturally there are enough decent holes out there, and the length makes for some beefy 4 and 5 pars. sadly I report the green complexes are, well, dying off. I just think they are so old the can't grown good grass on them anymore. definitely a course that is in need off a major reinvestment. this I believe will definitely not happen.

Played McCormick Palm today for an outing...course was not in very good shape as a whole. The greens were actually really good but the fairways were very bare in a lot of spots and a little muddy on the bare spots. Lots of thinning grass around the greens as well. I'm not a fan of the course anyway but I would stay away unless you get a darn good deal time.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Tonto Verde Peaks. Great firm conditions. The course - OK, might grow on me except I doubt I'll be back much at all- too many really good courses, like Verde River 5 minutes away.

Also really had that private course happy to take your money vibe. The pro shop was fine taking payment, then directed me to the starter, except there wasn't one, and told me I would be able to get beverages on the course, nope, no beverage cart. No direction on options to play on my own or with someone, no preview of what it was like out on the course. Not a ranger in sight, despite slamming to a halt after 11 holes. Just packed it in - wasn't worth whatever the waiting would have been - there were 2 groups on the par 3 12 tee waiting for the green to clear.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag