2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2018 Phoenix Course Conditions

BUCKEYERBALL88

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time at San Marcos today. Greens putted really well and were moderate speed. Fairways were firm and thin in some places but didn’t affect play much. Just over a three hour round paired up with three nice retired gentleman. Well worth the $20 deal time. I’ll be back.

Still want to play there. Seems impossible to even find a tee time on Sat morning even for a single.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So Starfire will be closing the Squire nine end of May, then will convert that part of the property into a full driving range and 9 hole par 3 executive course, theoretically opening in the fall. No changes planned to the Hawk and King nines for now, which seems unfortunate that they can't at least do some cosmetic upgrades.

Not sure I get the par 3 thing, just don't know if that's really a successful draw. Mountain Shadows certainly isn't crowded, at least by the available tee times, not sure what the Lil Wick at Wickenburg Ranch and Social does as far as business.

The conditions at Starfire have been surprisingly good for what it is - very good putting surfaces, fairways decent, rough so so, bunkers very good. It's not long enough for the big boys even from the tips, but for what they have been charging it's a very good value.

The last time I reviewed it I said I was ashamed. Lately, it's been more like a want to keep it a secret because it is very good for what it is.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

So Starfire will be closing the Squire nine end of May, then will convert that part of the property into a full driving range and 9 hole par 3 executive course, theoretically opening in the fall. No changes planned to the Hawk and King nines for now, which seems unfortunate that they can't at least do some cosmetic upgrades.

Not sure I get the par 3 thing, just don't know if that's really a successful draw. Mountain Shadows certainly isn't crowded, at least by the available tee times, not sure what the Lil Wick at Wickenburg Ranch and Social does as far as business.

The conditions at Starfire have been surprisingly good for what it is - very good putting surfaces, fairways decent, rough so so, bunkers very good. It's not long enough for the big boys even from the tips, but for what they have been charging it's a very good value.

The last time I reviewed it I said I was ashamed. Lately, it's been more like a want to keep it a secret because it is very good for what it is.

I like that they are adding a driving range...but I agree on the Par 3. I think it would almost be better to have 3 or 4 practice holes that you can go and play and work on a little on-course practice. We had that in college and it was awesome. The Par 3 at Wickenburg was fairly busy but they also have basically a perfect set up for it there with all of the sitting areas, elevations/views, and bar/snack shack in the middle.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I like it, the course is reasonably close to me and if they have decent hours in the summer I could easily see myself playing the par 3 after work once it start staying light until 7:15-7:30 or so. Same thing for the range, if actually open at decent hours and affordable it will be one of the only affordable grass ranges around. Still probably wont play the regular course lol

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I like it, the course is reasonably close to me and if they have decent hours in the summer I could easily see myself playing the par 3 after work once it start staying light until 7:15-7:30 or so. Same thing for the range, if actually open at decent hours and affordable it will be one of the only affordable grass ranges around. Still probably wont play the regular course lol

I just hope the range is kept up and it's not one of those limited ranges with a net 200 yards out and hollow golf balls lol.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I just hope the range is kept up and it's not one of those limited ranges with a net 200 yards out and hollow golf balls lol.

Best guess they turn holes 1, and 3 into the range which there is ample room for a full length 300+ yard range, Squire was IMO the worst of the 9's mostly because trees had become overgrown and limited lines off tees. The one short par 4 you almost had to hit a knockdown 4 iron off the tee to keep it out of the branches and the two par 3's over water required strategy to play away/around the trees off the tee.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Verde River near perfect. Housing is really coming in everywhere, and even though they have kept it out of play (should be, anyway), it does give a different feel. Still get some nice views on some holes, however. Even though I would rather it was the trailer and portolets, Trilogy is doing a first class job with everything being built, believe Trilogy does Wickenburg Ranch & Social and it is the exact same look and feel. 3 hour round as a 2some got let through twice - once graciously and once with OldGrumpyGuyx4 frowny faces since I had to ask to play through after they let us sit, stand, and stew for 2 holes before I asked. word not alloweds I hope aren't members but probably are.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Played We Ko Pa Saguro last week. Course was in excellent shape.

I played it last week and thought the fairway was cut way too long where the ground game was not an option within 30 yds of the green. I recently listed to the fried egg podcast. A golf course architect said, when the ground is in play the charm of the game is back. I 100 agree%. I’ve been lucky to play at Bandon & Northern Ireland in the last 6 months. I confidentially say links golf is the best golf. C & c built in many inks features on saguaro (15 right hill, redany). Unfortunately our grass typically isn’t firm enough

I played it last week and thought the fairway was cut way too long where the ground game was not an option within 30 yds of the green. I recently listed to the fried egg podcast. A golf course architect said, when the ground is in play the charm of the game is back. I 100 agree%. I've been lucky to play at Bandon & Northern Ireland in the last 6 months. I confidentially say links golf is the best golf. C & c built in many inks features on saguaro (15 right hill, redany). Unfortunately our grass typically isn't firm enough

It was the first time I had played there, I felt the greens were a bit slow compared to the putting green.

Verde River again, may be the solution to quicker rounds, tee sheet was open in the afternoon, driving past Troon North it was packed. Per clubhouse guy, Verde River is not expected to go fully private for many years.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Call Bear Ceek in Chandler - Bare Creek when taking greens. Tees off at 5:45 and played in 2.5 hours walking. Could have been faster but I caught the men’s league in the back nine.

Joined up with the assistant Pro from Whirlwind. That was a fun 5 holes with him. Can’t wait to play out there soon when the rates drop.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I played it last week and thought the fairway was cut way too long where the ground game was not an option within 30 yds of the green. I recently listed to the fried egg podcast. A golf course architect said, when the ground is in play the charm of the game is back. I 100 agree%. I've been lucky to play at Bandon & Northern Ireland in the last 6 months. I confidentially say links golf is the best golf. C & c built in many inks features on saguaro (15 right hill, redany). Unfortunately our grass typically isn't firm enough

I really agree with that sentiment. As much as I like Saguaro, I'm not sure I've ever played it when the conditions were really firm and fast.

And no reason to be confidential about it.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

Call Bear Ceek in Chandler - Bare Creek when taking greens. Tees off at 5:45 and played in 2.5 hours walking. Could have been faster but I caught the men’s league in the back nine.

Joined up with the assistant Pro from Whirlwind. That was a fun 5 holes with him. Can’t wait to play out there soon when the rates drop.

Were the greens still in horrible shape their?

I really agree with that sentiment. As much as I like Saguaro, I'm not sure I've ever played it when the conditions were really firm and fast.

Mid August until 10 days before overseed is your best bet for ideal playing conditions out there imo

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Mid August until 10 days before overseed is your best bet for ideal playing conditions out there imo

Do you think the we ko pa super & his team are doing the best possible job to make it f & f with our Hot Weather &’the associated rye & Bermuda grasses?

*confidently

I played Saguaro two weeks ago and agree on the conditions. Overall in excellent shape but the greens were much, much slower than I anticipated. Also, played Grayhawk-Raptor and Troon-Monument that weekend and Troon's greens were my favorite (firmest and rolled the quickest).

Papago Sat 5/5. Everything is in very good condition. Greens are a bit slower than they had been, but to be expected. Range and all practice greens closed and look to be closed for the next 5-6 months still.

Troon North Monument Sun 5/6. Greens were excellent. Firm, fast, very few ball marks. Course as a whole was playing nice and firm, and we played in 3 1/2 hours. Really enjoyable round.

Firmness is one thing but Bermuda seems to have an unfortunate sticky/grabby characteristic that makes the bump and run or even putting from off-green very unpredictable. Played Bandon last year and was amazed how well the ball rolled through the fescue.

Just got back from a quick weekend trip with the wife down to Phoenix yesterday, played Johnson Ranch Thursday & Saturday, greens were in good shape despite being a little on the slower side, fairways were struggling big time though, massive burnt patches and looked like they had been punched and just haven't come back in...

Friday was an awesome day playing 36 up at Gold Canyon Sidewinder & Dinosaur Mountain, both were in beautiful shape but the greens on Dinosaur were a bit faster and firmer than Sidewinder. Nothing stupid but you definitely didn't want to be above the hole too much...

Sunday we played Ocotillo White/Gold (figured all the water would help with the heat somewhat) which was in great shape as well, greens were pure and ran smoothly, probably a hair slower than Sidewinder. Pins were in some odd spots that made some putts just about impossible to get close, so it's a good thing they weren't excessively quick or it could have turned in to a really ugly day haha.

Were the greens still in horrible shape their?

Yes, they were terrible. The starter told me they have a fungus. Said they are working hard to help them recover. I won’t be back for awhile.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Anyone play Whirlwind recently? Have a tee time on the Cattail course tomorrow.

No, I haven’t, but played with the assistant pro from there st a different course. What a good guy. Great player of course.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick