2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2018 Phoenix Course Conditions

BUCKEYERBALL88

Golf Club of Estrella. Overall it was great, fast and firm fairways. Greens were receptive and fast, rolling true. A couple greens on the back side had very spaced out small tine punch marks but didn’t effect the putt at all.

Bunkers were not good, actually borderline terrible.

Overall it was awesome, other than the bunkers being in poor shape.

Housing is taking over most of the course now, was just a matter of time.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gainey Ranch - Lakes and Dunes today. Course is in really good shape, greens were outstanding and the best bunkers I have played in AZ. Not the best course, but playing in such good conditions makes up for it a bit.

How's that driver treating you??

I have the g400 Max and I am just killing it right now. Easily some of the best driving rounds I have had, maybe ever.

Gainey Ranch - Lakes and Dunes today. Course is in really good shape, greens were outstanding and the best bunkers I have played in AZ. Not the best course, but playing in such good conditions makes up for it a bit.

I have the g400 Max and I am just killing it right now. Easily some of the best driving rounds I have had, maybe ever.

Really like it...the biggest thing is the feedback...I know instantly if it is a good hit. 10-15 yards more carry...which is huge for me! :)

Saguaro today. We were the only group on the course most of the morning. Kinda weird being out there and it not being packed.

Really good to great conditions all around. Bunkers noticeably better still not awesome but better

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Is Karsten worth $42 next Sat? I know ppl bash it on here, but I have never played it and looking for a descent price right now.

Good to hear you boys are loving the G400 Max. P8 and I are both testers and were fit at Ping. Can’t wait to get my first round in next weekend. Work has been killing me.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Is Karsten worth $42 next Sat? I know ppl bash it on here, but I have never played it and looking for a descent price right now.

Good to hear you boys are loving the G400 Max. P8 and I are both testers and were fit at Ping. Can't wait to get my first round in next weekend. Work has been killing me.

HUGE NO - imo! If it is your only option, I guess so...but would discourage it.

Go play Southern Dunes for 79 at 110....way better option.

Verrado Victory. Some greens with some funky grass spots, not clear if it's some odd strain but it was a bit weird looking, putted OK, but... Second time around, still really like it, it was more interesting when the wind was up the last time I played it, but I could play it regularly with no problem as the greens are large with lots of pin placement options. It's nice that it is a very different feel compared to the Founder's course, Founder's more traditional to me.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Ocotillo blue/ gold today. If you want resort, Florida style golf this fits the bill ( I knew this coming into the round). Greens were running true but a bit on the slow side. Fairways were in great shape, 2 of the tee boxes on the gold 9 were rough. Bunkers were not great, very little sand, felt like hard pan.

Overall not bad and will probably play it again, but prefer other courses in the East Valley. If you want a change of pace from desert golf, this is your place.

Verrado Victory. Some greens with some funky grass spots, not clear if it's some odd strain but it was a bit weird looking, putted OK, but... Second time around, still really like it, it was more interesting when the wind was up the last time I played it, but I could play it regularly with no problem as the greens are large with lots of pin placement options. It's nice that it is a very different feel compared to the Founder's course, Founder's more traditional to me.

I was told that they are painted dormant Bermuda. Info was they didn't overseed the first year as they wanted a strong Bermuda base. So, I think it's the Bermuda starting to grow.

Played Grayhawk Raptor this morning. My first time at the course. I was not impressed with the conditions. Really badly over watered and the first 9 holes were soaked. Fairways were good but not great, and the greens were inconsistent. Some way slower than others. Overall it is a very nice course, but for the rates they charge it should be pristine. It’s not. Also they don’t have gps in the carts. That was disappointing.

In my opinion, TPC Champions is in better shape and is a much better value. WeKoPa is no contest: far better conditions, more interesting holes.

Overall pretty underwhelmed by Grayhawk. I won’t be back unless I get a really cheap deal.

I played it 2-3 weeks ago for the first time, at a higher price. Conditioning was good but not perfect (many bunkers are hardpan) but I felt it was priced fairly and I wanted to play it once before it gets redeveloped in the next few years. For $42 I'd do it again.

Good to hear you boys are loving the G400 Max. P8 and I are both testers and were fit at Ping. Can't wait to get my first round in next weekend. Work has been killing me.

Haha. I hear you. I may try it because it has to be better than Lone Tree or Bear Creek where I normally play by my house.

Thanks.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Really like it...the biggest thing is the feedback...I know instantly if it is a good hit. 10-15 yards more carry...which is huge for me! :)

Come on Joe only 10-15, hard to believe :) Hope you're well!

Come on Joe only 10-15, hard to believe :) Hope you're well!

Well sir! As you know my game, I hit that low ball that limits carry....getting the flight up with the new club is a very pleasant change!

I'm so ashamed. I played Starfire today and enjoyed it, actually conditions were really good with the exception of a few pock-marked greens that still rolled pretty well. $35 on Golfnow and got in 18 with a 3:45 tee time.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Haha. I hear you. I may try it because it has to be better than Lone Tree or Bear Creek where I normally play by my house.

Thanks.

Man I should have listened. Was it ok for $42 and played by myself in 2:30 minutes. Yes.

Greens were terrible and the tee markers did not allow a flat tee shot. Stupid. Fun tricked layout and lots of short Par 4’s, but I don’t think I will be back.

I can check that one off the list.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Played Verde River yesterday and it was in good condition. Some stressed spots in fairways but nothing to worry about. Greens in very good shape and rolling nicely — not super fast. People there are very nice and beyond accommodating. Overall a really fun day.

Driver - Titleist TSR3 9.0 HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0
Fairway - Titleist TSR3 15* AD-UB 7
Hybrid - Titleist TSR3 19*
Irons - Srixon Z565 4-5i PX LZ 6.0, Z765 6-AW PX LZ 6.0 hard stepped 1x
Wedges - Vokey SM9 46F, 50F, 54D/M, 58V/T
Putter - Scotty GOLO6 34”
Ball - Pro V1x #68

played Cave Creek on Saturday. Course was in ok shape....greens were a little hairy and bumpy but still rolled fairly fast and were firm. Can tell the grass is transitioning now as there are the typical bare patches in the fairway/rough. Overall though not bad. Out of the 4 times I have played there, this was the worst conditioning-wise but the other 3 times it was in fantastic shape. Tee'd off at 7:36 and got done in 4 hours including waiting for the 4th to join us on the 1st tee and having to look for this ball for 5 minutes each on a couple holes.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Ts is ok. I prefer the old north course. It has some funky holes but it’s decent. It’s normally in pretty good shape. I would say it’s middle of the pack compared to some others out here. Could do better but could also do worse.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego