2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

Picture from last Sunday at VGC compared to photo I took in 2014.  First hole.

In addition to the loss of the iconic tree the number of high rise condos now is dramatic.  Notice the only "high rise" in 2014 is now surrounded and hidden as the tiny building 2nd from the left side.  What will it look like in another 10 years???

20240316_080942.jpg.870e7ee6445391068377ac78d1c2cfc3.jpgScreenshot_20240319-092522_Gallery.jpg.78948ca517ac53789827999e2a6d8e3a.jpg

Edited by Golfnuck
  • Like 2

What would you guys say is the easiest full course in the Lower Mainland? So not a lot of water/OB and greens that don’t leave you scratching your head? 

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

What would you guys say is the easiest full course in the Lower Mainland? So not a lot of water/OB and greens that don’t leave you scratching your head? 

I don’t play courses much these days outside of Van and Burnaby but Fraserview ticks the boxes as generally playable, scoreable,  predictable and fair.  Probably not  the easiest in LM that others will find and 18 can take its toll and short knockers may not like 10. But hard to find anyone of any skill who does not like it.

Langara is a quick thought to your Q because of length.  But the greens make it perennially the highest scoring of the three in the Vancouver Open.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 2

Update on Morgan Creek. 

Heard anywhere from 2-4 more weeks expected for multiple temps. The cold killed the poa. They overseeded the greens with bent and are waiting for it to take. Prices staying high to reduce outside traffic while allowing members on. Took a cart out on the course, it's in just as bad shape post aeration as it was before.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myspinonit said:

I don’t play courses much these days outside of Van and Burnaby but Fraserview ticks the boxes as generally playable, score able, , predictable and fair.  Probably not  the easiest in LM that others will find and 18 can take its toll and short knockers may not like 10. But hard to find anyone of any skill who does not like it.

Langara is a quick thought to your Q because of length.  But the greens make it perennially the highest scoring of the three in the Vancouver Open.

Agreed, but the greens at both Fraserview and Langara can be brutal, especially if fast. 

Burnaby Mountain isn’t easy, but it’s not hard, but good luck getting a tee time there. Maybe I need to play Surrey GC again 😂

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

Agreed, but the greens at both Fraserview and Langara can be brutal, especially if fast. 

Burnaby Mountain isn’t easy, but it’s not hard, but good luck getting a tee time there. Maybe I need to play Surrey GC again 😂

Agreed on the greens at Langara and FV, but FV is usually easier to figure as long as you remember where the Fraser is. One of my  groups actually had a fun hit and giggle at Surrey last year, which some games built in. It was probably over 40 years(!) since I played there before that  but I hope they organize it again this year with some of the fun attached,

Is Bby Mtn still an option as a single? I used to do that a lot of years ago, had to wait a while sometimes, but the putting practice meantime gave benefits.  

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

That's a good question actually.  I'm not sure where the lower mainland ends, but Chilliwack G&CC comes to mind.  Surrey GC.  Burnaby Mountain. Canal is pretty wide open until you get to 16.  Pagoda Ridge isn't too bad, but it's a but strange in spots.

I'd say the greens at Fraserview are among the most perplexing when they're running fast.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, adamc92 said:

Update on Morgan Creek. 

Heard anywhere from 2-4 more weeks expected for multiple temps. The cold killed the poa. They overseeded the greens with bent and are waiting for it to take. Prices staying high to reduce outside traffic while allowing members on. Took a cart out on the course, it's in just as bad shape post aeration as it was before.  

This sucks. I'm stuck back there again this weekend

11 hours ago, The Beav said:

That's a good question actually.  I'm not sure where the lower mainland ends, but Chilliwack G&CC comes to mind.  Surrey GC.  Burnaby Mountain. Canal is pretty wide open until you get to 16.  Pagoda Ridge isn't too bad, but it's a but strange in spots.

I'd say the greens at Fraserview are among the most perplexing when they're running fast.  

yeah, Chilliwack for sure fits the bill, but like you said, it’s FAR. I remember Fort Langley being easy (if it still exists). I don’t like Royalwood, seems like 18 holes in the space of where 12 holes should be. 

I always enjoyed playing Hazelmere, even though there’s three holes that are dumb. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

yeah, Chilliwack for sure fits the bill, but like you said, it’s FAR. I remember Fort Langley being easy (if it still exists). I don’t like Royalwood, seems like 18 holes in the space of where 12 holes should be. 

I always enjoyed playing Hazelmere, even though there’s three holes that are dumb. 

Played Fort Langley by accident last weekend (I just moved to the area, know nothing, and it was the only time I could find). I’m not joking nor exaggerating when I say that 16/18 greens were better than any at Northlands, Northview, Morgan Creek or Kings Links. This is not a recommendation as Fort Langley literally did not have fairways, rough or tees (all uncut to the same height and mostly weeds) but, it’s more a massive disappointment with how rough conditions these more expensive courses are in. Not sure who is doing the greens at Fort Langley but they’ve got them rolling!

Edited by adamc92
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, adamc92 said:

Played Fort Langley by accident last weekend (I just moved to the area, know nothing, and it was the only time I could find). I’m not joking nor exaggerating when I say that 16/18 greens were better than any at Northlands, Northview, Morgan Creek or Kings Links. This is not a recommendation as Fort Langley literally did not have fairways, rough or tees (all uncut to the same height and mostly weeds) but, it’s more a massive disappointment with how rough conditions these more expensive courses are in. Not sure who is doing the greens at Fort Langley but they’ve got them rolling!

Almost forgot about that course. Do they still have the cowbell (on a par  5  I think) ?

On 3/21/2024 at 3:56 PM, myspinonit said:

Fraserview ticks the boxes as generally playable, scoreable,  predictable and fair. 

Fraserview is a picturesque course, but IMO, its "generous" off the tees and with minimal penalty areas/water hazards, it is scoreable from the white (3) & blue (2) tees.

Langara is scoreable because of lack of length. The greens with "sucker' pins are its defense. At the VO, Langara typically has higher scores than McCleery because of their tougher greens and pin placements. 

22 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Is Bby Mtn still an option as a single? I used to do that a lot of years ago, had to wait a while sometimes, but the putting practice meantime gave benefits.  

Call early morning on the day of play for single tee time openings at all 5 muni's of Vancouver and Burnaby.

All 5 also have standby waitlists too.

1 hour ago, adamc92 said:

The layout at FL is not too bad.

They don't spend much money on maintenance....I'm surprised the greens are in good/ok condition.

Pre-Covid it could be cheap to play.

Just now, Treats said:

I haven't played there in 5 years...I think the bell is on #2 or is it on #16?

Just now, Treats said:

I haven't played there in 5 years...I think the bell is on #2 or is it on #16?

I want to say No. 2, the Par 5 on the west boundary of the course?

3 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Almost forgot about that course. Do they still have the cowbell (on a par  5  I think) ?

They do. It was one of the holes in the back. Maybe 16. They honestly need another one on the green so you know where it is. I stood at my second shot for a minute trying to figure it out. That hole is an insane uphill dog leg. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Treats said:

BM is somewhat tricky from the blue tees for the average length golfer.

It's has some length on 3 of 4 par 3's.

#14 is a beast.

I realize I'm a shortish knocker these days and am  the old guy posting in this thread regularly. But even in my younger days when I might have played Blues, (at least at some courses),  I think 6500 from the Blues at Bby is beyond "average" golfer length. Even Bby Mtn Reds are close to some of the other local munis "Whites".  I'm sure all of us have been on deck when four guys get to the first tee and automatically go to the Blues and we think "oh-oh,  this could be a long round". Often at least one of the foursome doesn't belong there but goes along with the group.

In fact that reminds me of a recent chat with Sean Spottiswood the Head Pro at Riverway. He  agreed  that one  could park  in the morning at the first tee and see a low percentage get it out 200 yards there.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

I realize I'm a shortish knocker these days and am  the old guy posting in this thread regularly. But even in my younger days when I might have played Blues, (at least at some courses),  I think 6500 from the Blues at Bby is beyond "average" golfer length. Even Bby Mtn Reds are close to some of the other local munis "Whites".  I'm sure all of us have been on deck when four guys get to the first tee and automatically go to the Blues and we think "oh-oh,  this could be a long round". Often at least one of the foursome doesn't belong there but goes along with the group.

In fact that reminds me of a recent chat with Sean Spottiswood the Head Pro at Riverway. He  agreed  that one  could park  in the morning at the first tee and see a low percentage get it out 200 yards there.

I don't get to play Riverway as often as I would like, but every time I'm there I see guys heading out off the blues, and they have no business being there. IMO, the blues at RW are a heck of a test.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phireside said:

I don't get to play Riverway as often as I would like, but every time I'm there I see guys heading out off the blues, and they have no business being there. IMO, the blues at RW are a heck of a test.

Did you play it in the early years after it opened  and every one of those hills and a lot of the rough was tall fescue?  That was a test!   And often a long round.

Segue: Bby Parks was  so smart;  sold off the peat  to pay for the first Riverway nine. Then after it opened as a nine hole sold off the peat to build the second nine. A golf course for pretty much free.  I dislike the way Food Burnaby runs the restaurants, but sure like it is tax included from listed price in the proshop.

Loomis was an absolute delight this morning, despite the rain.  18 greens in play and they were rolling nicely as well.   Such a shame they are aerating on Monday since it's the best option I've found currently (not including Riverway where tee times are impossible). 

One thing I enjoy about Loomis is that even in the rain or when the course is taking on water, there's no mud.  White shoes stayed white today.

• Like 2

Played Meadow Gardens this morning.  Tee mats on the par threes are gone, back to the grass tees. From tomorrow we start on no. 1 again. They reverse the holes in the winter as the back nine gets the earlier sun, often negating the use of temp greens.

Greens great, fairways still a bit damp. Bunkers are ..... improving, all I got to say about that 🤣

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

On 3/23/2024 at 7:18 AM, myspinonit said:

Even Bby Mtn Reds are close to some of the other local munis "Whites".  

Good observation...yes....the red/forward tees at BM can be longer than some white tees at other courses.

Yes, 1st tee at RW normally plays into the wind and a bit uphill....so tee shots can be hindered.