2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

13 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Green would be the least resistant level, (like the Therabands) Red the next, then Blue. I have the Red Therabar and will give it a shot again from this thread.

Mostly I have been using the Therabands from a physio recommendation for shoulder recovery initially.  Use them still for shoulder and stretching...great for throwing a couple in in  a suitcase (or goilfbag) too for  a quick workout or even pregame stretch.  Same for a lacrosse ball,  a quick and silent tool for relief of affected areas and daily maintenance. (Leaning into a door-frame etc.) 

I have a full-size Theragun at home for occasional use, probably more than occasional with regular golf season. But I got the  portable Ekrin Bantam  one-better reviews than the Theragun mini- for travel and for  my golf bag sometimes. I had in my bag regularly a couple of years ago  mostly for lower back. It only ways a pound!  https://www.amazon.ca/Ekrin-Athletics-Bantam-Mini-Massage/dp/B08M8P7ZVD

I lent it to a couple of people on a cruise last year who had lower back pain and they both ordered one after a one night loan.

Iceman, possibly I'll see you on the chipping green by the Golf Museum this weekend?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IcemanYVR said:

yeah, with the high impact gun? That thing is amazing. Hurts like hell but I can tell it’s working. I’ve definitely turned a corner, but want to be real careful as I don’t want a nagging injury for the rest of my life. 

No, this is with actual needles. Kind of like acupuncture, but they go a bit deeper and give a little twist until the muscle spasms. Also hurts like hell but that spasm is like a big muscle release. I had the most success for my tennis elbow when this was being done in to the forearm. My physio was from Washington state where they didn't permit this to be done by physios. Here in BC they can do it assuming they've done the training. He had also suffered from tennis elbow and found relief with the needling.

from the web:

"Dry needling is an invasive technique used by physical therapists (where allowed by state law) to treat myofascial pain that uses a dry needle, without medication or injection, which is inserted into areas of the muscle known as TrPs. A TrP describes a taught band of skeletal muscle located within a larger muscle group. Trigger points can be tender to the touch and can refer pain to distant parts of the body. Physical therapists utilize dry needling with the goal of releasing/inactivating the TrPs and relieving pain"

Edited by Phireside

2 minutes ago, Phireside said:

No, this is with actual needles. Kind of like acupuncture, but they go a bit deeper and give a little twist until the muscle spasms. Also hurts like hell but that spasm is like a big muscle release. I had the most success for my tennis elbow when this was being done in to the forearm.

I think you are referring to a form of accupuncture-  IMS- Intramuscular Stimulation.

Yes, you feel the quick pain but release right away when it works.  My last physio guy used it occasionally as part of my shoulder therapy.

IMS got me ready to play golf again over twenty years ago after chronic back pain. (Then right after the doc gave me the ok to play golf , I blew my knee out with an emergency stop standing on the Skytrain!! Ugh. )

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phireside said:

No, this is with actual needles. Kind of like acupuncture, but they go a bit deeper and give a little twist until the muscle spasms. Also hurts like hell but that spasm is like a big muscle release. I had the most success for my tennis elbow when this was being done in to the forearm. My physio was from Washington state where they didn't permit this to be done by physios. Here in BC they can do it assuming they've done the training. He had also suffered from tennis elbow and found relief with the needling.

from the web:

"Dry needling is an invasive technique used by physical therapists (where allowed by state law) to treat myofascial pain that uses a dry needle, without medication or injection, which is inserted into areas of the muscle known as TrPs. A TrP describes a taught band of skeletal muscle located within a larger muscle group. Trigger points can be tender to the touch and can refer pain to distant parts of the body. Physical therapists utilize dry needling with the goal of releasing/inactivating the TrPs and relieving pain"

My physio does the same thing 

She worked on me this winter and it seemw to have helped 

She hit a few spots that were tender 

10 hours ago, Treats said:

I played RW too, I conur.

It's near impossible to get tee times, did you luckily obtain a cancellation time?

I'm only guessing.

I think courses like RW, Mayfair and Kings Links, etc with minimal trees, the greens recovered better with sun and warmth???????

I believe the temps occuring at Fraserview and Langara, those greens were often in shade, with minimal sunlight and warmth???????

Just went as a single and managed to get out somehow.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Who here is buying newlands ?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. You couldn’t pay me to play Newlands for free. 

• Haha 3

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

15 hours ago, Phireside said:

OMG, MC is on 6 temps tomorrow!

Moved to White Rock from Saskatchewan in November. First experience of year round golf in my lifetime. Have been doing weekly lessons there all winter and playing 2-3x a week. Played on Boxing Day, and it was a joke how great condition the course was in. Went away for two weeks, came back around Jan 15 and they had lost the greens. Course has been closed for 3 weeks, was there yesterday and even post aeration now it somehow got worse. Tarps have been on most days. No idea what happened but some staff have said it’s the worst condition in the course lifetime.

I’ve been searching for other places to play (recommendations welcome!) 

This week I played Northlands and Kings Links. 

Northlands was in great shape. Greens much slower than they looked but very good to play. Furber designs not my favourite but enjoyed it. Wouldn’t play Kings Links again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, adamc92 said:

Moved to White Rock from Saskatchewan in November. First experience of year round golf in my lifetime. Have been doing weekly lessons there all winter and playing 2-3x a week. Played on Boxing Day, and it was a joke how great condition the course was in. Went away for two weeks, came back around Jan 15 and they had lost the greens. Course has been closed for 3 weeks, was there yesterday and even post aeration now it somehow got worse. Tarps have been on most days. No idea what happened but some staff have said it’s the worst condition in the course lifetime.

Northlands was in great shape. Greens much slower than they looked but very good to play. Furber designs not my favourite but enjoyed it. Wouldn’t play Kings Links again. 

Yeah, I hate to kick them when they're down,  but MC is bordering on disaster.  It's unplayable currently, and then factor in that they're charging full rate with temp greens plus aeration...hard to wrap one's head around.

North Bellingham today wasn't great either.  5 temp greens, and the other 13 were slow and bumpy.  Rest of the course was good. But at least they give 20 or 30 percent off.

Gonna be a long spring.

The sun this week should do wonders for MC. It's coming along. I'd expect more greens open by next weekend. Some of the greens were in great shape considering today was day one off punching. those that get lots of sun. 10 was looking really nice. Starter said the sudden freeze that caused damage was over a foot deep.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adamc92 said:

I used to feel that way about kings. But after playing it a handful more times, I've came to appreciate it. Now I play there whenever I get the chance.

Just now, Phireside said:

Anyone heard about Redwoods lately? Still planning for Spring 2024?

I love that course, that’s the plan according to their IG. Would love to get out there this year, especially with the improvements they’ve made. 

And incidentally, one of my all time greatest shots happened on that course. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

5 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I see the 4 for 3 is on again for  titleist 

Don't do it...it's crack, man.  Once you get hooked on those designer drugs ('er, balls) it's a slippery slope.😀

Edit: Just joshin'....I did play PV1's a bit before the prices went crazy. I think I did that deal once. Then switched to the cheaper Srixon Q Star Tour for several years and don't think I  missed much.  Took advantage of Srixon's deals often. Switched to softer Srixon Soft Feel exclusively last season I think  Have a good stash of those now from their last deals.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I see the 4 for 3 is on again for  titleist 

I got the email earlier this week. I’ve done it before, it’s decent value. I’ve still got two dozen plus balls left, and if I lose all those this year then I’m ok with that because it means I’ve actually played some golf. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Don't do it...it's crack, man.  Once you get hooked on those designer drugs ('er, balls) it's a slippery slope.😀

Edit: Just joshin'....I did play PV1's a bit before the prices went crazy. I think I did that deal once. Then switched to the cheaper Srixon Q Star Tour for several years and don't think I  missed much.  Took advantage of Srixon's deals often. Switched to softer Srixon Soft Feel exclusively last season I think  Have a good stash of those now from their last deals.

Im already a wedge junky.. I have to have fresh wedges every spring 

I think I need to stop in at a golfaholics detox facility

Maybe they can teach me pickle ball 

Gorgeous day reach plus 20 this past weekend 

was at Burnaby Mtn   Was in descent condition.   1st outing since Aug and definitely felt sore afterwards   My swing changes from last season is doing well   My chipping and putting is horrible and need complete overhaul.  
For whatever reason.  I can imagine the flight of the ball with my irons and driver and do not need practice swings.    After a session in the driving range 
By the  back 9 I realized I need to go practice stroke to get the feel of how much energy I need to tap the ball to the hole.   My distance control was horrendous 

Edited by Haroputt

Just now, Haroputt said:

Gorgeous day reach 20 this past weekend 

was at Burnaby Mtn   Was in descent condition.   1st outing since Aug and definitely felt sore afterwards   My swing changes from last season is doing well   My chipping and putting is horrible and need complete overhaul.  
For whatever reason.  I can imagine the flight of the ball with my irons and driver and do need practice swings.   
By the  back 9 I realized I need to go practice stroke to get the feel of how much energy I need to tap the bal to the hole.   My distance control was horrendous 

Edited by Haroputt

On 3/16/2024 at 1:46 PM, The Beav said:

Yeah, I hate to kick them when they're down,  but MC is bordering on disaster.  It's unplayable currently, and then factor in that they're charging full rate with temp greens plus aeration...hard to wrap one's head around.

North Bellingham today wasn't great either.  5 temp greens, and the other 13 were slow and bumpy.  Rest of the course was good. But at least they give 20 or 30 percent off.

Gonna be a long spring.

What happened?  The freeze was not too bad on my course (VGC) and we usually get colder then most other course here.

Did they get hit with "snow mold"?  We did one year and it was terrible.

9 minutes ago, Golfnuck said:

What happened?  The freeze was not too bad on my course (VGC) and we usually get colder then most other course here.

Forget the exact days in January (10th - 14th ish) went +8 sun, 0 and rain, -15 and back to 0. Speaking with my teacher there and the pro shop staff, the sudden snap freeze did damage. What surprised me most was it never closed aside from the days you couldn't play because it was so cold. Traffic was steady through the course daily as the greens deteriorated. Didn't close until the beginning of this month through it all. Part bad luck, part mismanagement, but who am I to say not knowing the circumstances behind keeping it open. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:55 AM, Treats said:

What aspect(s) about KL did you not enjoy?

Couple of thoughts...

I think it was the loudest course I've ever played. Constant planes flying overhead, semis/trucks driving around the boundary, there was not a second of peace and quiet to be had on the property outside of the bathroom in the clubhouse.

The layout was really tight. I felt like the developer had enough land for 14 holes but could not acquire a little more, and had to force things into the space he had. I don't know the backstory, so just guessing. The par 3's are mostly an afterthought and just kind of dropped in as connectors. A couple of par 5's boringly placed to bracket the boundary. In the southwest corner of the property, there are 3 greens and 2 tee boxes in a 1.5-2 acre window. The three ponds felt to me like a bit of a cop-out to make up for the tight space. For example, hole 3 and 14 are great links holes. It was a bit jarring to me to see those mixed in with a few holes like 2, 9, 12, 17. The worst hole on the property is 5, which not only creates a pace bottleneck, but is another hole I felt was jammed in to make space.

On a positive, aside from a few holes on the back where the water detracts from them, I thought the green complexes were terrific. I could see the firmness and wind creating a lot of variance on a week-to-week basis, making that a fun aspect to look forward to playing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adamc92 said:

Couple of thoughts...

I think it was the loudest course I've ever played. Constant planes flying overhead, semis/trucks driving around the boundary, there was not a second of peace and quiet to be had on the property outside of the bathroom in the clubhouse.

The layout was really tight. I felt like the developer had enough land for 14 holes but could not acquire a little more, and had to force things into the space he had. I don't know the backstory, so just guessing. The par 3's are mostly an afterthought and just kind of dropped in as connectors. A couple of par 5's boringly placed to bracket the boundary. In the southwest corner of the property, there are 3 greens and 2 tee boxes in a 1.5-2 acre window. The three ponds felt to me like a bit of a cop-out to make up for the tight space. For example, hole 3 and 14 are great links holes. It was a bit jarring to me to see those mixed in with a few holes like 2, 9, 12, 17. The worst hole on the property is 5, which not only creates a pace bottleneck, but is another hole I felt was jammed in to make space.

On a positive, aside from a few holes on the back where the water detracts from them, I thought the green complexes were terrific. I could see the firmness and wind creating a lot of variance on a week-to-week basis, making that a fun aspect to look forward to playing.

I like your thoughts here.  I've always liked Kings Links as an option, but I could NEVER be a member there as I'd be bored out of my mind.  I feel like the course only plays how it should 2 or 3 months a year.  When the fairways are shaggy, and the course is soft & slow it's an absolute bore to me. 

7 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

They had a "flash freeze" that penetrated a foot deep out of nowhere.  I'm not sure if the grass died instantly or if them staying full open immediately following did the damage?  I got the same story at North Bellingham where the greens are in similar condition. 

I think having a jammed full tee sheet all winter takes it's toll as well.  But they have to pay for all these new lesson & fitting studios somehow I guess.

Played both Saturday and Sunday at Meadow Gardens. Second tee time out on Saturday. Lovely views. 
The bunkers are not great yet. Greens were surprisingly good for March. 

Back to grey and probably wet this coming weekend. 

IMG_2692.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

• Like 4

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"