2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

On 1/1/2024 at 10:56 PM, Shushwap said:

Checking in in everyone.. how goes winter golf this year?

After fortunately being away and golfing in warmer climate before Christmas, I'm waiting for it to get warmer and also hopefully dryer.  Largely as my hands won't deal with the cold though I have boots, Goretex etc. and even bought some rechargeable handwarmers.

That said, when repacking my bag for home use I put back the Callaway winter gloves I used for two rounds in the Fall. While no help in the rain I suppose, these were the first winter pair that I felt fit well and I wasn't  bothered with two glove feel issues from the first swing. They hopefully will get me out more at least if we have a drier stretch.

https://www.amazon.ca/Callaway-Thermal-Glove-Black-Medium/dp/B07HJ5C3H2/ref=asc_df_B07HJ5C3H2/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459514554938&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9893042626463639423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001554&hvtargid=pla-654557663730&mcid=79395e4216ce32ee899af85846226b33&th=1&psc=1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:34 AM, mukster said:

I played New Years Day. Course is pretty wet now in spots, but it was still good to get out.

Spoke to a friend of mine who lives on Tower Ranch and he tells me Kelowna Springs is closing. @Shushwap any more on that?

Kelowna springs was purchased by a vancouver developer a few years ago.. the plan was to turn it all into Industrial as kelowna doesn't have much for industrial land 

kelowna city council had to approve the removal of the golf course and re zone it industrial 

The council at the time gave the green light.. fast forward and kelowna has a new city council and they have voted against it 

They paid 30 some million for the property.. last I heard the developer was trying to work with the city on possibly keeping 9 holes of the course and developing the rest 

2024 is supposed to be the last season of a 18 hole course 

Well see what happens with city council and the developer this year 

There has been a lot of turn over in the golf industry up here the last few years 

The rise 

Salmon arm 

Mara hills 

Tower ranch 

Shadow ridge

Hillview 

Lots of changes amid all these new owners.. pricing keeps going up 

Edited by Shushwap
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Phireside said:

Is it easy to get a tee time at Salmon Arm and Shushwap?

Salmon can be a little tougher then National... Neither are really tough to get a time at... Salmon arm morning tee times may have to be booked a week or so out... National is never very busy...

Talking rock is just about impossible to get a time there on the weekend... That place must be the busiest course in these parts... Hopefully it doesnt change to much with the fire that swept through there... I always liked playing there with all the trees as you never see the players on other fairways

Hopefully golf slows down a little this year and we dont have to book a month in advance to get a time

• 4 weeks later...

Took all my clubs except putter into GT for regripping on the 40% off sale. Won't be ready till Feb 6.   Forgot to ask about the installation charge before I made the trip; it's $4 a club. (Installing them myself is not an option for me.)

So I  "saved"  $35 from what Peak Golf would charge for full price CP2 grips with (I think still) free installation.  But with gas and time from Kits to Richmond,  probably next time I'll just go with supporting the local shop. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

Took all my clubs except putter into GT for regripping on the 40% off sale. Won't be ready till Feb 6.   Forgot to ask about the installation charge before I made the trip; it's $4 a club. (Installing them myself is not an option for me.)

So I  "saved"  $35 from what Peak Golf would charge for full price CP2 grips with (I think still) free installation.  But with gas and time from Kits to Richmond,  probably next time I'll just go with supporting the local shop. 

+1 on supporting your local shop. 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:28 PM, vancouver81 said:

Anyone play NV Ridge or MC of late and if so how were the conditions? Early season nod always goes to tracks that drain reasonably well. 

Morgan Creek has been hit pretty hard this winter.  We played yesterday and while the course is reasonably dry and playable, the overall conditions are not up to their usual standards.  A lot of very soft areas around the greens, and the greens themselves are yellowish and sandy.   Our non PC buddies who paid $95 felt a bit ripped off.

Haven't really played anywhere else to compare though, so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

MC update as of today:

Practice Green: closed

Chipping Green: Been ridden hard and put away wet.  Very poor right now.

Tees: Pretty rough by MC standards

Course: Dry and green & plays nicely. White shoes stay white.

Greens: Not sure if they're dead, diseased, or just need a lot of sun but they're not looking good right now.  They play OK, but I'm not sure I've seen them in this sort of shape before.

We'll be looking to play elsewhere for a few weeks I think. 

• Like 1

Played last week. A little warmer than my home course🤪

Lost City course, Sun City, South Africa. 13th hole, area to the left is a crocodile pit. 

Hoping things are a bit drier in lower mainland when I get back. 

IMG_2254.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg

• Like 4

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

2 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

Snuck away from the cold and the snow 

Standing on the tee box we were confused on what fairway to hit 

Turns out it's the furthest one... They need to give out maps before sending people out at wolf creek 

20240215_124327.jpg

Wow. That’s a nice course. I know the routing but only because I play it all the time on EA. I imagine that course will eat you alive if you’re having an off day. 

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

5 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

Wow. That’s a nice course. I know the routing but only because I play it all the time on EA. I imagine that course will eat you alive if you’re having an off day. 

We had no idea where we were going lol 

We lost a few balls... needed to use my range finder more often as we blew through a few spots 

• Like 1

Squeezed in a round at Kings today before the rain came down. Greens were terrific. Fairways fairly good condition. $75 bones.

I'm not going to play MC until they sort the issue they're having with their 3 greens. I can live with the 3 temps, but I can't believe they are charging full rack rate.

Edited by Phireside
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 2:21 PM, Phireside said:

Squeezed in a round at Kings today before the rain came down. Greens were terrific. Fairways fairly good condition. $75 bones.

I'm not going to play MC until they sort the issue they're having with their 3 greens. I can live with the 3 temps, but I can't believe they are charging full rack rate.

Yeah we also aren't too happy with the lack of a price drop at MC.  Especially on the heels of the yearly price increases, points devaluation, and fewer perks for PC.  We'll be steering clear until things settle down a bit, probably post aeration.

Thanks for the Kings Links info, we'll try play there soon.  Looks like they're running 10am shotguns on the weekend? 

We played Canal last weekend.  Wasn't good all around.  Wet, soft, bumpy slow greens, and goose droppings EVERYWHERE.

We played North Bellingham yesterday in the wind.  Greens were fastest we've seen anywhere in months, but the course was quite soft and muddy in many places especially around the greens. 

2 minutes ago, The Beav said:

Yeah we also aren't too happy with the lack of a price drop at MC.  Especially on the heels of the yearly price increases, points devaluation, and fewer perks for PC.  We'll be steering clear until things settle down a bit, probably post aeration.

Thanks for the Kings Links info, we'll try play there soon.  Looks like they're running 10am shotguns on the weekend? 

We played Canal last weekend.  Wasn't good all around.  Wet, soft, bumpy slow greens, and goose droppings EVERYWHERE.

We played North Bellingham yesterday in the wind.  Greens were fastest we've seen anywhere in months, but the course was quite soft and muddy in many places especially around the greens. 

Last weekend was the last of the 10am shotguns. We went off at 8am this weekend. Unfortunately Kings is not spared from the goose poop. I'm lucky that I can still carry. End of season and beginning of season the clic gear stays put. Don't want to deal with a muddy and poop caked cart. 

On 2/23/2024 at 8:59 AM, Shushwap said:

Snuck away from the cold and the snow 

Standing on the tee box we were confused on what fairway to hit 

Turns out it's the furthest one... They need to give out maps before sending people out at wolf creek 

20240215_124327.jpg

Never been down there but looks spectacular. and probably over my pay grade  from $ and ability, especially if the Mrs came along.

Weather still looks pretty much winter temps (and some rain and light snow in forecast) from what I see online,  so  did you luck out on a quick warm spell?

13 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Never been down there but looks spectacular. and probably over my pay grade  from $ and ability, especially if the Mrs came along.

Weather still looks pretty much winter temps (and some rain and light snow in forecast) from what I see online,  so  did you luck out on a quick warm spell?

We were lucky as the week before it was 6c and they had 2 inches of rain in a few days... spoke with a guy on the range and he said they get about 3 inches of rain a year 

Said we were lucky as the grass was green from the rain and the sun was shining 

Was around 20c a few of the days 

Sand hollow was $105 

Black desert was $250.. glad we played it as it goes semi private this fall and I'll never afford to play it then 

Wolf creek was $330 with a $20 pro shop credit 

I wouldn't pay that to play wolf creek again 

Sand hollow was a gem for the price 

Edited by Shushwap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Golfnuck said:

St. Georges Utah one of the hidden "gems" for golf.  If you have time drive over to Kanab and "Trails End" restaurant (if they are still open) for the best pies.

Beautiful area.. my buddy I was there with  is trying to find someone to head back down with in a few weeks.. he absolutely loved it 

It's on my list of places to see again... I would like to go down late October or early November this year 

23 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Beautiful area.. my buddy I was there with  is trying to find someone to head back down with in a few weeks.. he absolutely loved it 

It's on my list of places to see again... I would like to go down late October or early November this year 

We thought about ST G  a few years ago but decided for the Mrs not enough interest for her besides a bit of golf.

Heads up to anyone looking forward to Palm Springs area golf.  We just changed our coming winter plans  and reservation to stay in Palm Springs now to  mid Nov to mid December 2024.   Originally we were pleased to get a condo in a great location for February 2025. But switched dates after  a friend who owns a place there called about the unusual difficulty getting tee times this February, (particularly  at the two Tahquitz courses), and he knows we were planning in coming February 2025. 

Booking tee times in late Nov to late Dec 2022 and Dec 2023 was no problem for us.  Especially for the two Tahquitz courses that offer deal prices with a $40 a month discount card. That card usually makes multi rounds reasonable, with some other more expensive course rounds mixed in. The hitch is one can only book 3 days ahead with the card . Visitors are obviously booking for February rounds up to 30 days ahead at the rack rate,  using up all but a few early, early tee times or late afternoon. Which is pretty useless for tee-times, and certainly useless for planning ahead. 

This month my friend even decided recently to book as a single for the not so great Legends course at Taquitz for $89 Resident rate, just so he could fit into a threesome that had a reasonable time. That course isn't worth that in US$ (or CDN probably) for even a non-res rate.  We are rethinking PS after this year anyway, partly cost but with of us both close to mid-70s in age how long do we want to be slogging golf travel bags?

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, myspinonit said:

We thought about ST G  a few years ago but decided for the Mrs not enough interest for her besides a bit of golf.

Heads up to anyone looking forward to Palm Springs area golf.  We just changed our coming winter plans  and reservation to stay in Palm Springs now to  mid Nov to mid December 2024.   Originally we were pleased to get a condo in a great location for February 2025. But switched dates after  a friend who owns a place there called about the unusual difficulty getting tee times this February, (particularly  at the two Tahquitz courses), and he knows we were planning in coming February 2025. 

Booking tee times in late Nov to late Dec 2022 and Dec 2023 was no problem for us.  Especially for the two Tahquitz courses that offer deal prices with a $40 a month discount card. That card usually makes multi rounds reasonable, with some other more expensive course rounds mixed in. The hitch is one can only book 3 days ahead with the card . Visitors are obviously booking for February rounds up to 30 days ahead at the rack rate,  using up all but a few early, early tee times or late afternoon. Which is pretty useless for tee-times, and certainly useless for planning ahead. 

This month my friend even decided recently to book as a single for the not so great Legends course at Taquitz for $89 Resident rate, just so he could fit into a threesome that had a reasonable time. That course isn't worth that in US$ (or CDN probably) for even a non-res rate.  We are rethinking PS after this year anyway, partly cost but with of us both close to mid-70s in age how long do we want to be slogging golf travel bags?

The price of golf has sky rocketed everywhere.. I was in for a putter fitting at evnroll hq in carslbad and we were chatting about pricing in the area

He said they run from 100 to 300 

Hard for us Canucks to pay that with our poor exchange rate 

The days of the cheap trips to the states seem to be a thing of the past as I found most things to be the same price as in canada 

I keep saying it.. golf is becoming a rich man's sport 

Time to take up badminton 😆 

Enjoy your time in PS this year... on a side not.. have u ever thought of shipping your clubs down.. saves the trouble of dragging clubs through the airport 

My buddy was looking into it for our last trip down as he was thinking of doing some traveling around the US after our golf trip 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phireside said:

Using a service like Ship Sticks out of Vancouver to PS is going to run about $150 USD each way. I can understand that at some point in one's life dragging travel cases is not going to be easy. I currently have a club glove but would consider a sun mountain club glider for my next travel bag.

Sun Mountain Glider is a game changer.  Literally one finger can move it...need to remember to keep one hand on it if not completely level while waiting for a taxi etc or it can slide away!  Both the Mrs and I have had them for maybe a dozen years. She had the smaller model but we both got the current Meridians a year ago after mine finally got some wear that wasn't worth fixing.

We generally get two bags free with our air booking, so I wouldn't consider the extra $ to ship each way...and that really only works anyway if you are sending them to a trusted resort or hotel to accept them for you..not for a rented condo. On top of that, they still could suffer damage that way. Packing myself, taking heads off, stiff arm, and packing towels above never had a problem touch wood (..er touch fairway metal).

Still  I really felt it in 2022 when we unwittingly had a condo two stories up with narrow winding stairs. Not just heavy, but awkward. As I was super sick on departure I was fortunate to be able to pay a groundskeeper to take our loaded bags down to our car.  Taking clubs though, we still really need a full size car, and need to stack them on top of each other on the back seat to and from the airport.  I'm still strong for a guy that just turned 73 and probably stronger than I was a couple of years ago with some more consistent weight training, but there will come a point....

The expense of PS, or anywhere in US for an extended stay, not just golf though as Shuswap says may preclude that in he future to pursue other options. Besides, the golf is really only my interest, my wife goes along with it, for less rounds.

We did benefit from CDN$  with our clubs and the Gliders  for a great trip to PEI last summer though. Anyone on this forum contemplating that trip and wants some thoughts, please send me a PM and we can chat over the phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1