2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

2 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Sun Mountain Glider is a game changer.  Literally one finger can move it...need to remember to keep one hand on it if not completely level while waiting for a taxi etc or it can slide away!  Both the Mrs and I have had them for maybe a dozen years. 

That's cool, been looking for something like that, and didn't know they existed.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

42 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

That's cool, been looking for something like that, and didn't know they existed.

You would think knowing that for years I would have replaced my main suitcase with  a four-wheeler, not a two- wheeler. 😀 It's a good case, but....

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Sun Mountain Glider is a game changer.  Literally one finger can move it...need to remember to keep one hand on it if not completely level while waiting for a taxi etc or it can slide away!  Both the Mrs and I have had them for maybe a dozen years. She had the smaller model but we both got the current Meridians a year ago after mine finally got some wear that wasn't worth fixing.

We generally get two bags free with our air booking, so I wouldn't consider the extra $ to ship each way...and that really only works anyway if you are sending them to a trusted resort or hotel to accept them for you..not for a rented condo. On top of that, they still could suffer damage that way. Packing myself, taking heads off, stiff arm, and packing towels above never had a problem touch wood (..er touch fairway metal).

Still  I really felt it in 2022 when we unwittingly had a condo two stories up with narrow winding stairs. Not just heavy, but awkward. As I was super sick on departure I was fortunate to be able to pay a groundskeeper to take our loaded bags down to our car.  Taking clubs though, we still really need a full size car, and need to stack them on top of each other on the back seat to and from the airport.  I'm still strong for a guy that just turned 73 and probably stronger than I was a couple of years ago with some more consistent weight training, but there will come a point....

The expense of PS, or anywhere in US for an extended stay, not just golf though as Shuswap says may preclude that in he future to pursue other options. Besides, the golf is really only my interest, my wife goes along with it, for less rounds.

We did benefit from CDN$  with our clubs and the Gliders  for a great trip to PEI last summer though. Anyone on this forum contemplating that trip and wants some thoughts, please send me a PM and we can chat over the phone.

I need to look for a new case as they threw my case off the plane from the looks of it... The bottom was crushed and the top had a large hole in it... I have seen the sun mountain glider online

Always curious to see well they work... I will put it on my list of bags to look at it

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

I need to look for a new case as they threw my case off the plane from the looks of it... The bottom was crushed and the top had a large hole in it... I have seen the sun mountain glider online

Always curious to see well they work... I will put it on my list of bags to look at it

Other than  a hard case, it is quite  well protected  IMO. Get a stiff arm of course too, though the stiff arm really ]ust  covers a head on collision. We did have one stiff arm crack on the head years ago in my old Glider,  clubs were ok, so I guess they do help at times. (In Maui they seem to put the clubs down the regular suitcase  chute headfirst.....yikes.)

Sun Mountain also makes the fold-up Kube  that certainly helps for storage at home or way,  and it has some positive reviews, (if  you put much faith in internet reviews), but  still perhaps worth putting on your research list. 

Generally there are lots of current travel bag threads on GolfWRX, though I probably haven't looked  since I bought our new Glider Meridians last Spring. 

I like these guys for various reviews https://criticalgolf.com/

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, myspinonit said:

Other than  a hard case, it is quite  well protected  IMO. Get a stiff arm of course too, though the stiff arm really ]ust  covers a head on collision. We did have one stiff arm crack on the head years ago in my old Glider,  clubs were ok, so I guess they do help at times. (In Maui they seem to put the clubs down the regular suitcase  chute headfirst.....yikes.)

Sun Mountain also makes the fold-up Kube  that certainly helps for storage at home or way,  and it has some positive reviews, (if  you put much faith in internet reviews), but  still perhaps worth putting on your research list. 

Generally there are lots of current travel bag threads on GolfWRX, though I probably haven't looked  since I bought our new Glider Meridians last Spring. 

I like these guys for various reviews https://criticalgolf.com/

The stiff arm  was broken in my hard case lol 

20240222_160428.jpg

On 2/27/2024 at 5:45 PM, Phireside said:

Using a service like Ship Sticks out of Vancouver to PS is going to run about $150 USD each way. I can understand that at some point in one's life dragging travel cases is not going to be easy. I currently have a club glove but would consider a sun mountain club glider for my next travel bag.

Shipping clubs no longer makes any financial sense for me.

Would rather upgrade my plane seats and I have the Sun Mountain glider and it is fantastic.

I will put a lot of my golf clothes and golf shoes in the glider (using a garment bag) and then just a small carry on backpack.  Note I also have a very small Titlest waterproof and caddie approved golf bag for my travels.

For my Scotland trip I added a second carry on luggage which I strapped to the glider so all I had was my backpack and the glider to push.  Fantastic and great for the back.  You just have to watch the amount of luggage and where you can place the golf bag on the trains in UK. 

Picture this - I have one soft luggage, my wife has two rolling suitcases (don't ask) plus our two gliders.  The trains only allow for 2 pieces of luggage each.  So I put all the clothes from my soft sided luggage and the luggage itself into the gliders.  Now we are down to 4 pieces.  The key is having a small carry golf bag.

20220901_154321.jpg

Edited by Golfnuck
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Have owned one for over 5 years.  They are fantastic.  Sometimes you need to take the golf bag out and fold down to fit into a smaller car.  Also I strap my luggage onto it so I only have one thing to push around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

Have owned one for over 5 years.  They are fantastic.  Sometimes you need to take the golf bag out and fold down to fit into a smaller car.  Also I strap my luggage onto it so I only have one thing to push around.

I like the idea of folding it down to fit in a car as I couldn't get my hard case in the wife's car 

10 hours ago, Shushwap said:

I like the idea of folding it down to fit in a car as I couldn't get my hard case in the wife's car 

Take a look at the pics from critical golf to see folded and unfolded size for an idea. https://criticalgolf.com/best/best-golf-travel-bags/

I pack and cushion  clubs VERY carefully before they go on the plane (takes longer than anything else to pack). So  I need to have the clubs and loaded travel bags on the back seat to get to the airport. There is a bit of give (unlike the hard case of course)  but usually it still touches side to side back seat of a full size rental. Or one could  fold  down one side of  back seats of course. 

I've turned down an SUV rental "upgrade" more times than I can count that could help with luggage and golf transport. Plus I like the added driving visiblity from an SUV.  But since it is rare for rental companies to buy the extra cover to shield cargo area contents, no way am I going to leave clubs open to view while  lunching after a round or while shopping etc. I did get one with  a cover a time or two though. Still, fully-loaded with the two sets of luggage and two sets of clubs and travel bags some would be exposed to view even with a hatch cover. So we don't leave them unintended to and from the airport.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Who's golfing this weekend put your hand ️ up 

I can't get out this weekend.. 

The weather looks good 

Where does everyone plan to play 

🤚I won’t be playing or hitting balls, dealing with a bad case of “tennis” elbow but will be out for sure, at least on the putting and chipping green. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

27 minutes ago, IcemanYVR said:

🤚I won’t be playing or hitting balls, dealing with a bad case of “tennis” elbow but will be out for sure, at least on the putting and chipping green. 

That's crappy I was dealing with that a little this winter 

Hopefully it works itself out soon as the weather is starting to turn 

• Like 1

I played last weekend. 9 holes on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. Weather was iffy at best. Hopefully playing both days this weekend. 
Playing my home course Meadow Gardens. It needs to dry out somewhat, course is pretty.......receptive😂

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

No game yet but I'll probably shove myself into probably a busy mix of  the many folks enjoying the weather figuring to fix winter layoff rust in an hour each of chipping and range. 🙂  

Have several rounds pre-booked with my golf groups starting in a couple of weeks for official season opening. But I'm still going to keep it weather dependent for now, unlike some of the guys who have been slogging it out most of the winter, bless 'em. Not as anxious for the new season this year. Wondering if that is partly as my bag is still set, so no new shinies pleading  to get used and tweaked? ( I did regrip them all though, so I guess I'm still allowed to be on GolfWRX.)

Edit: I just accepted an invite to a game at University on Monday. 

I actually have  a stash of very good shape wedges besides the SM9's I bought in 2022.  Almost all SM4 ones I accumulated .....I may give them another compare on the practice green. The feel is very good...I moved from them due to some issues  (shh...shanks) that  were not the clubs.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, myspinonit said:

No game yet but I'll probably shove myself into probably a busy mix of  the many folks enjoying the weather figuring to fix winter layoff rust in an hour each of chipping and range. 🙂  

Have several rounds pre-booked with my golf groups starting in a couple of weeks for official season opening. But I'm still going to keep it weather dependent for now, unlike some of the guys who have been slogging it out most of the winter, bless 'em. Not as anxious for the new season this year. Wondering if that is partly as my bag is still set, so no new shinies pleading  to get used and tweaked? ( I did regrip them all though, so I guess I'm still allowed to be on GolfWRX.)

It's a new year and time to treat your self to something new 

I'm looking at fresh wedges and possibly a 3 wood this year 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Beav said:

I'm playing North Bellingham on Saturday.  

I'm excited to put the sweaters and toques away and get after it in some sunshine. 

Was scrambling too late trying to avoid MC, I was looking south of the border and still nothing at a reasonable hour.

Don't put those sweaters too far out of reach. I'll remind you, we get this every year, nice block of weather, then it goes to hell, before getting nice again.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:41 AM, IcemanYVR said:

Feel your pain.  Been dealing with this for the last year.  I do a stretch - turn your hand and so fingers are pointing down to the ground, palm is facing away from you, arms straight out and stretch by pull back the bottom of the palm.  Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Golfnuck
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Golfnuck said:

Feel your pain.  Been dealing with this for the last year.  I do a stretch - turn your hand and so fingers are pointing down to the ground, palm is facing away from you, arms straight out and stretch by pull back the bottom of the palm.  Hope this makes sense.

Yes. Thanks. I do that stretch along with a few other exercises. I’m at physio once a week. I’m just chalking it up to old age and taking way too long to recover. 

6 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

That feels good. Thanks.

I still have a couple of Band-its and they really help if needed. 

Edited by myspinonit

23 hours ago, Treats said:

FWIW...call NB.....I think there might be some temp greens.

Yeah 5 temps apparently. I didn't know that when booking unfortunately, but at least it's a discounted fee.  Hopefully the rest of the course is in good shape.  I don't mind a 13 hole round with 5 practice holes throughout haha.

I played Riverway today and oh my goodness....it's in amazing condition.  It's like I was on a different planet compared to everywhere else right now.  Balls bouncing, power carts on the fairway, and smooth greens with good speed (borderline fast).   How on earth have they managed that?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phireside said:

I did a couple of dry needling sessions at physio with really good success. 

yeah, with the high impact gun? That thing is amazing. Hurts like hell but I can tell it’s working. I’ve definitely turned a corner, but want to be real careful as I don’t want a nagging injury for the rest of my life. 

1 hour ago, The Beav said:

I played Riverway today and oh my goodness....and smooth greens with good speed (borderline fast).  

How on earth have they managed that?

I played RW too, I conur.

It's near impossible to get tee times, did you luckily obtain a cancellation time?

I'm only guessing.

I think courses like RW, Mayfair and Kings Links, etc with minimal trees, the greens recovered better with sun and warmth???????

I believe the temps occuring at Fraserview and Langara, those greens were often in shade, with minimal sunlight and warmth???????