Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

On 3/23/2024 at 8:16 AM, Phireside said:

I don't get to play Riverway as often as I would like, but every time I'm there I see guys heading out off the blues, and they have no business being there. 

Not just RW, but at many courses.

As long as players can keep of PoP.....they can play whatever tees they want

BUT

PoP is an issue at most, if not all, public courses.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:49 AM, myspinonit said:

Did you play it in the early years after it opened  and every one of those hills and a lot of the rough was tall fescue?  That was a test!   And often a long round.

Segue: Bby Parks was  so smart;  sold off the peat  to pay for the first Riverway nine. Then after it opened as a nine hole sold off the peat to build the second nine. A golf course for pretty much free. 

I dislike the way Food Burnaby runs the restaurants, but sure like it is tax included from listed price in the proshop.

Yes, good observations.

The fescue at RW in the early days did slow down PoP......I think they started to chop it down about 10 years ago.

Yes, RW opened up selling off soil and I think charging companies to dump off unwanted soil too.

So what don't you like about Golf Burnaby F&B operations?

BM has pretty good food & service.

We had drinks at RW two weeks ago.....elderly servers which did not have the best service attitude.

The dining room at RW is nice, but they could do a better job partitioning the dining floor for ambience....just a wide open floor space.

They just completed a 4 month reno of the pro shop at BM.

16 hours ago, Treats said:

Yes, good observations.

The fescue at RW in the early days did slow down PoP......I think they started to chop it down about 10 years ago.

Yes, RW opened up selling off soil and I think charging companies to dump off unwanted soil too.

So what don't you like about Golf Burnaby F&B operations?

BM has pretty good food & service.

We had drinks at RW two weeks ago.....elderly servers which did not have the best service attitude.

The dining room at RW is nice, but they could do a better job partitioning the dining floor for ambience....just a wide open floor space.

They just completed a 4 month reno of the pro shop at BM.

Rant coming (lol) ..

Yes,  BBy Mtn is ok especially outside dining but the views at Riverway are nicer and the ambience SHOULD be the better of the two just from that. 

I like the Food Burnaby food ..but..Riverway still seems spaced and tables available for just post Covid dining patron numbers and it has been almost impossible to just walk in "do you have a reservation?" and reservation days are hit and miss.  I should say that our guys that play some Tuesdays are usually able to sit outside on  a nice day from the few tiomes I joined in last season.  But I have been turned away after golf too. A few times to avoid kerfuffle I think our guys have just sat down at an empty table and got served.

I had some discussions with a prior(?) manager some years ago after the menu was only on Facebook or some such, and not on the Riverway website, offering  that  suggestion to him. He snootily said " we are not part of the golf course". Duh, I think most people eating a golf course would expect that they would find the info through the Parks Board/course  website. Around the same time we had made online reservations and thank goodness got there a bit early as they obviously were not paying any attention to pre-bookings...we managed to grab the last table and the rest was closed for a coming wedding.

If FB @ Riverway  could get their act together for more consistent hours, and probably did something better for indoor ambience,  my wife and I would plan to reserve go there from Kits for their burgers especially, or at least plan to go more often and with others  in nice weather for outside..

Edited by myspinonit

Heading to Osoyoos on Sunday for some early season golf. 

Has anyone played there this early in the season? How are the courses?

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Played Kings on Friday. Greens and bunkers in great shape. Fairways barren.

MC today, what can I say. Fairways nice and green. Greens now a few weeks out from punching are all in dreadful shape. 6 temps as expected, but wow. If I got an email saying they were going to 18 temps, they would be justified. How the mighty have fallen. They were speaking optimistically about a two week turn around, but I think they'd need divine intervention.

What's worse, is the greens are totally littered with pitch marks. Looks like Langara or one of the other munis. Each of us must have fixed 3-5 marks per green and could have done more. I guess the riff raff have come out to play.

• Sad 1

Yes, Swaneset and Meadow Gardens are unfortunately always struggling with all the moisture.  Swaneset, I remember driving from my house one day in the sunshine all the way to Swaneset. I noticed a cloud right above the actual course. We played 14 of the 18 holes in the rain! As I left the course, and turned onto the main road, it was dry!

phonto.jpeg

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

1 hour ago, mukster said:

Yes, Swaneset and Meadow Gardens are unfortunately always struggling with all the moisture.  Swaneset, I remember driving from my house one day in the sunshine all the way to Swaneset. I noticed a cloud right above the actual course. We played 14 of the 18 holes in the rain! As I left the course, and turned onto the main road, it was dry!

phonto.jpeg

This is my life in Lynn Valley

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 7:02 PM, mukster said:

phonto.jpeg

I have had that happen at Fraserview. 

3 hours ago, adamc92 said:

Considering membership at Beach Grove. Get to play tomorrow before deciding. Does anyone have thoughts on the course here?

I've played there a bunch and almost became a member years ago, it was just too far from home & work for me to pull the trigger.

The course is sneaky tough with firm conditions and FAST greens in the summer (some of the best around usually).  Old school layout that requires some shot making and favors working the ball.  Tight property that's mostly flat. Lots of white stakes.  If I played there exclusively I bet my handicap would go up 3-4 strokes.

It always struck me as a very tidy and well run club for the price.  

Edit:  a couple cons would be:

1) driving range is pretty small and mickey mouse. Don't think driver is permitted?

2) it's just not the most aesthetically stimulating course IMO.  That may or may not be important to you.

Edited by The Beav
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Beav said:

I've played there a bunch and almost became a member years ago, it was just too far from home & work for me to pull the trigger.

The course is sneaky tough with firm conditions and FAST greens in the summer (some of the best around usually).  Old school layout that requires some shot making and favors working the ball.  Tight property that's mostly flat. Lots of white stakes.  If I played there exclusively I bet my handicap would go up 3-4 strokes.

It always struck me as a very tidy and well run club for the price.  

Edit:  a couple cons would be:

1) driving range is pretty small and mickey mouse. Don't think driver is permitted?

2) it's just not the most aesthetically stimulating course IMO.  That may or may not be important to you.

Appreciate the reply. Does it play as short as it’s listed, if that makes sense? Don’t remember the last time I’ve seen a course at 6,200 from the back maxed out. 

8 hours ago, adamc92 said:

Appreciate the reply. Does it play as short as it’s listed, if that makes sense? Don’t remember the last time I’ve seen a course at 6,200 from the back maxed out. 

Tough one to answer.   It's not a long course but I don't recall ever feeling like it's short either.  I think the many doglegs that take driver out of your hand help in that regard. If you can work driver both ways and let it rip on every hole I could see it playing shorter for you.   Couple short par 3s.

Edited by The Beav

16 hours ago, adamc92 said:

Considering membership at Beach Grove. Get to play tomorrow before deciding. Does anyone have thoughts on the course here?

Always liked that course and golf club.  I think it has one of the better club houses at a good price point.

The golf course itself is short so if you are a long hitter keep that in mind.  It is still a challenging course and it is quite tight in spots.  Lots of variety like the short but tough #12.  My business partner was a member there and I played there a lot years ago.

I would check into the status of the proposed sale of land to the right of #12 along 16th Ave.  I do not believe it has gone thru but that was at least 3 years ago when I last talked to a member about it.  If it did go thru then there will need to be some big changes to #11, #12 and #13.  Not sure those changes would be good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

Always liked that course and golf club.  I think it has one of the better club houses at a good price point.

The golf course itself is short so if you are a long hitter keep that in mind.  It is still a challenging course and it is quite tight in spots.  Lots of variety like the short but tough #12.  My business partner was a member there and I played there a lot years ago.

I would check into the status of the proposed sale of land to the right of #12 along 16th Ave.  I do not believe it has gone thru but that was at least 3 years ago when I last talked to a member about it.  If it did go thru then there will need to be some big changes to #11, #12 and #13.  Not sure those changes would be good.

Played today and ultimately decided to pass on joining. 

What kept me away...

1. I finished the round and outside of 1 and 18, legitimately remembered 2 holes, but could not say what number they were. I remembered none individually on the front, and then on the back remembered the par 4 with the double tier green on the back in the corner of the property, and the par 3 over water. On the front I asked, "this is 7?" and the members said, "no, this is 9" and on the back I had no distinction between 12-17. It's kind of startling to me how every hole blends together. Back and forth. extremely tight off the tee, slight dog leg, false front green that is heavily bunker protected short. There are so few memorable aspects about the course layout or design in any hole. 

2. It was an immaculate and challenging course, don't get me wrong, but...I am 31 and have aspirations of playing often and becoming as good as I can be at golf. I never thought I would say this (because I have never seen a course like this) but, it's only 6,200 if they absolutely max out tees and pins. Today played about 5,900 based on what I added from the back. You just can't hit driver. I am a 270 guy off the tee, and there just isn't really room. Yet, if you hit every tee shot 185, you have a mid/short iron in. Great players can score better by not hitting driver outside of two holes. Not the worst thing, but, I think it is limiting to play it 80-90 times a year if planning to try play competitive golf. 

3. No range. I mean, there is, but it's about 5 stalls with a max distance of 175 into semi waste land with fake pins on mats, and you have to stop when someone rings a bell from one of three holes to walk to hit their shot because it's unprotected. On one hand, I get it is why it is because the property is so tight and tiny, but why even have one at that point? Probably the worst range I have seen. 

4. They had six practice greens in total, but the furthest you could hit a wedge was about 10 yards into them. Again, nit picking, but for the price they are asking, it's kind of a downer that you don't have a range, and while you have six different greens, you don't have a true practice facility. 

With all of that said...

I have lived here four months and so far played Morgan Creek (pre green death), Northview, Northlands, Kings Links, Point Grey, Langara, Burnaby Mountain, Portal and Hazelmere. Beach Grove had easily, and I mean easily, the best greens and was the only course that did not have mud (rained over night too). Point Grey in the ball park, but still it's not even comparable. The entire course was in shockingly great shape and very well maintained. I would bet in the summer the place is absolutely pristine. 

Edited by adamc92
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adamc92 said:

What kept me away...

1. I finished the round and outside of 1 and 18, legitimately remembered 2 holes, but could not say what number they were. I remembered none individually on the front, and then on the back remembered the par 4 with the double tier green on the back in the corner of the property, and the par 3 over water. On the front I asked, "this is 7?" and the members said, "no, this is 9" and on the back I had no distinction between 12-17. It's kind of startling to me how every hole blends together. Back and forth. extremely tight off the tee, slight dog leg, false front green that is heavily bunker protected short. There are so few memorable aspects about the course layout or design in any hole. 

2. It was an immaculate and challenging course, don't get me wrong, but...I am 31 and have aspirations of playing often and becoming as good as I can be at golf. I never thought I would say this (because I have never seen a course like this) but, it's only 6,200 if they absolutely max out tees and pins. Today played about 5,900 based on what I added from the back. You just can't hit driver. I am a 270 guy off the tee, and there just isn't really room. Yet, if you hit every tee shot 185, you have a mid/short iron in. Great players can score better by not hitting driver outside of two holes. Not the worst thing, but, I think it is limiting to play it 80-90 times a year if planning to try play competitive golf. 

3. No range. I mean, there is, but it's about 5 stalls with a max distance of 175 into semi waste land with fake pins on mats, and you have to stop when someone rings a bell from one of three holes to walk to hit their shot because it's unprotected. On one hand, I get it is why it is because the property is so tight and tiny, but why even have one at that point? Probably the worst range I have seen. 

4. They had six practice greens in total, but the furthest you could hit a wedge was about 10 yards into them. Again, nit picking, but for the price they are asking, it's kind of a downer that you don't have a range, and while you have six different greens, you don't have a true practice facility. 

With all of that said...

I have lived here four months and so far played Morgan Creek (pre green death), Northview, Northlands, Kings Links, Point Grey, Langara, Burnaby Mountain, Portal and Hazelmere. Beach Grove had easily, and I mean easily, the best greens and was the only course that did not have mud (rained over night too). Point Grey in the ball park, but still it's not even comparable. The entire course was in shockingly great shape and very well maintained. I would bet in the summer the place is absolutely pristine. 

Good thoughts, and all fair criticisms IMO.   I agree with #1, and I half agree with #2.   I enjoyed trying to work the driver on a bunch of the holes where you really shouldn't, which is probably why I've never scored well there haha. 

If they didn't have amazing conditions and a fancy clubhouse, it could be easily mistaken for an owner-designed muni. 

On 4/3/2024 at 8:32 PM, adamc92 said:

Adam all fair points.  As I noted if you are a long hitter it may not be the course for you.  

The short par 4 with the 2 tiered green and the following par 3 over water are holes 12 and 13.  Those are the hole which will be impacted if and when or if they sell of the land to the right of #12.

If you are looking for membership in a private club unfortunately the only one that has the length for long hitters is Shaughnessy and it will no longer exist in its current private form after 2032.  It has the best short game area and driving range (unlimited length and able to accommodate PGA professionals) in the lower mainland.  As a golf course it is the best course in the lower mainland (no other course public or private are even close in comparison).

There are not many private clubs south of the Fraser.  Have you looked at Richmond Golf and Country Club.  It is also shorter and again pretty tight but definitely longer than Beach Grove.  Unfortunately while Richmond's practice facilities are better than Beach Grove they are not that much better.   Richmond has a pretty good program for intermediate (under 40) members.

North of the Fraser you have already played Point Grey and Marine Drive is the other course nearby.  Marine Drive is tighter than Point Grey and is known as a "players club".  It has produced many good amateur golfers.  Both Point Grey and Marine Drive have limited space for practice areas.

The only other club north of the Fraser is my club, Vancouver Golf Club, which is also pretty short.  We have a pretty good short game practice area (2nd best behind Shaughnessy IMHO) our range is still pretty short and max out at about 250 years with a high net at the end to catch the long hitters.  We have just eliminated pricing for new intermediate members unless they are related to a current member.  So for yourself the initiation would be about $70k.

The final two private clubs are well north of the Fraser River and are Capilano and Seymour. 

Capilano's initiation fee is north of $100k and is difficult to get into unless you can be introduced by multiple members who have known you for at least 10 years.  Also they have no real practice areas.  The golf course is usually in the best shape of all the course in the lower mainland but again it is relatively short and very hilly.

Seymour is a private club on leased land from the municipality so Mondays are open to the public.  It has a driving range again limited in length.  Again the course is shorter in length.

Another course that might be worth checking out is Quilchena Golf & Country Club in Richmond. It has a full driving range and some kind of practice area. It’s a longer course with a decent rating. I’ve only played there once, but it was in nice condition. 

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

In case anyone is in the market for new wedges, Peak Golf has a barrel of slighty used SM9 "Demos" for $139.

I gambled on a near mint 60.04T grind (that might have been hit once or twice?) especially to try to conquer the hard and bare bunkers that i'm finding too often on the courses I play. Haven't hit it yet!

Still plan on carrying a SM9 58.10S  (and SM10 50.08F, SM9 54.10S) . I have to remove a club if I want all the wedges in play. Assuming the 60 works for me, I will want them all in.  Bare lies and virtually no-sand bunkers can crop up anytime on the munis I usually play and can kill my round.  Plus for desert winter golf.

My 6i and my Ping 5H  are really too close in loft and distance and I've been considering for years if I could pull one.  Finally tried the 5H at the + Flat at the range yesterday and it may cover things well even though I generally do like the 6i. The 4H may also stay at the +Flat too both for gaps and it felt really good......at least at the range (lol).

(Also a good motivation  to Craigslist my SM6 wedges that are just taking closet space. My spare SM4's aren't going anywhere though!).

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Beav said:

There were "select groups" on it yesterday when we walked off Canal. 

Canal was nice.  A couple good weeks of sun and it'll be really nice.

We played Canal as well and saw those groups teeing off. Course was nice. Game was not. Scorecard went in to the trash after 11. Playing partners not much better. Can't wait to do it again next weekend, lol.

• Like 1