Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

It's looking good OP,the hard work is paying off! The biggest difference between good players and bad players that I've seen is simply the rotational motion.When it happens,why it happens,etc.In normal speed it looks like most amateurs rotate through the shot but if you look at their swing in slow motion it tells the true story.For most the first half of the downswing there is a descent amount of rotation but from halfway down and just beyond impact the body stops rotating and does more thrusting toward the ball while the arms,particularly the right arm,flail at the ball.Then after impact the momentum of the arms bring the body around to a finish.It's not really the body getting to the finish on its own merit but it is brought around by the weight and momentum of the "thrown" out arms.

With good players it's the opposite.The body never stops rotating,it carries everything around with it.That's why still shots of professionals at impact look so good.Their hips are OPENING to the target and carrying the arms through.You can literally see in the still how the energy is being pulled around from the ground up.In the impact stills of most amateurs the energy is in the upper body and the lower body is dead for the most part.

Thanks Grayback. Starting to see the fruits of my labor particularly in the short game around the greens.

I've struggled with body rotation but I think I'm starting to make some improvements.

Scores are getting better and confidence is slowly increasing. Feels like I'm poised to start seeing my handicap decrease (a welcome change).

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

You're definitely seeing improvements! Your rotation has gotten better already and I only see it getting better as you go.As I said before,you've got the ability to be very good.Just remain disciplined and don't be too hard on yourself along the way.When you play golf,try to play golf and not golf swing.You'll enjoy your rounds more,trust me.

So as I've continued to work on my swing I've learned how important tempo is in my game. I'd say I have a pretty smooth, deliberate tempo and I'm starting to understand when my tempo is getting quick. Like I try to hit the ball from the top of the backswing. When I'm quick with driver I've also noticed that I don't even finish my backswing before my lower body starts firing. Actually, I think my lower body starts to fire with other clubs as well but I just can't get away with it swinging driver.

So, anyone have any good tempo training aids or techniques? I've read a lot of people talking about the Orange Whip but I'd like to hear from anyone else on how they train tempo and sequencing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

So as I've continued to work on my swing I've learned how important tempo is in my game. I'd say I have a pretty smooth, deliberate tempo and I'm starting to understand when my tempo is getting quick. Like I try to hit the ball from the top of the backswing. When I'm quick with driver I've also noticed that I don't even finish my backswing before my lower body starts firing. Actually, I think my lower body starts to fire with other clubs as well but I just can't get away with it swinging driver.

So, anyone have any good tempo training aids or techniques? I've read a lot of people talking about the Orange Whip but I'd like to hear from anyone else on how they train tempo and sequencing.

I'd like to hear feedback about the Orange Whip also, but in the meantime what about a metronome?

Orange whip. Good for sequence and path. Poor for low point and face control. In regards tempo , it depends on what one means. Tempo is the interval between takeaway and impact. Say 1.06 secs , for example. Sometimes used to mean the 3-1swing ratio. 1.06 tempo with .8 bs and .26 ds. If you are looking at improving your rhythm and tempo then would gat an app. Tour tempo or mobile golf training aid are two examples.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I'd like to hear feedback about the Orange Whip also, but in the meantime what about a metronome?

Have you used one? If so, what app did you use?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Have you used one? If so, what app did you use?

I used to use Tour Tempo. They had a website where you could choose different tempos and swing to a series of beeps. That version of website is gone and now they have an app that probably does the same thing...it's $25!!! A few days ago I downloaded a free app that is a basic metronome. There are several options. I would tell you which one I chose, but not near device at the moment. You probably want to set it between 55-62 and you start swing on a beep and hit the ball on next beep. I've only used it swinging in the yard, but it might be worth a try.

Orange whip. Good for sequence and path. Poor for low point and face control. In regards tempo , it depends on what one means. Tempo is the interval between takeaway and impact. Say 1.06 secs , for example. Sometimes used to mean the 3-1swing ratio. 1.06 tempo with .8 bs and .26 ds. If you are looking at improving your rhythm and tempo then would gat an app. Tour tempo or mobile golf training aid are two examples.

Do you feel that one of those apps is better than the other. Tour tempo is the most expensive it seems - but it might be worth it.

Without using one of these I'm kind of wondering if my tempo is too slow. Maybe my body is trying to compensate by getting quick at the top of the backswing. Idk.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Do you feel that one of those apps is better than the other. Tour tempo is the most expensive it seems - but it might be worth it.

Without using one of these I'm kind of wondering if my tempo is too slow. Maybe my body is trying to compensate by getting quick at the top of the backswing. Idk.

I have both. Tour tempo is set at 18/6, 21/7,24/8, and 27/9. Can't vary. But, but . . . for short game/putting it has setting for 2-1 ratio. It also has training videos. And audio tracks that you can listen to to get your "body" in the groove so to speak. lol. Cost is $25.

Tour tempo link https://www.tourtempo.com/golf-training-aids/golf-swing-tempo/tour-tempo-apps/

Mobile golf app has much more flexibility and is $10.

Believe both come android or apple.

Here is the mobile link https://www.mobile-golf-tempo.com/

I didn't think it was that much of an investment to get both - $35 - pretty much the cost of a round of golf, give or take. I liked the tones and videos on tour tempo much better than the mobile app - the mobile app was just too much that was unexplained on the app page or in the app - who cares to set a tempo ratio or rhythm or cadence - whatever those mean in the app. But if you ignore them and just go with the basics then for $10 it does the job.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I have both. Tour tempo is set at 18/6, 21/7,24/8, and 27/9. Can't vary. But, but . . . for short game/putting it has setting for 2-1 ratio. It also has training videos. And audio tracks that you can listen to to get your "body" in the groove so to speak. lol. Cost is $25.

Tour tempo link https://www.tourtemp...our-tempo-apps/

I didn't think it was that much of an investment to get both - $35 - pretty much the cost of a round of golf, give or take. I liked the tones and videos on tour tempo much better than the mobile app - the mobile app was just too much that was unexplained on the app page or in the app - who cares to set a tempo ratio or rhythm or cadence - whatever those mean in the app. But if you ignore them and just go with the basics then for $10 it does the job.

Thanks glk, I'll give both of these a look.

During my lessons with Cindy she mentioned something that I had not heard before but I thought made sense. She told me that most of the time your tempo will match your personality and demeanor. For example, I'm a pretty laid back person. I don't get super excited nor do I get super upset. Even keel for the most part in most situations. Well Cindy noticed in my lessons right away when I was in a groove and hitting the ball well that my tempo was "laid back and easy going" for lack of a better term. That seems to match my personality.

I think its a case of "feel isn't real" because when my tempo is nice and smooth I can hit the ball pretty far -- yet it doesn't feel like I'm swinging at all. It feels like I'm swinging 70% but the ball goes its full number.

On the other side, when I'm swinging fast/quick it feels like I should be able to crush the ball but I generally don't compress it and it's a weak flight. The feel tells me I'm going to crush it but it just doesn't happen. So I'm trying to teach myself to stay smooth and take my time.

Hope this makes sense.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks glk, I'll give both of these a look.

During my lessons with Cindy she mentioned something that I had not heard before but I thought made sense. She told me that most of the time your tempo will match your personality and demeanor. For example, I'm a pretty laid back person. I don't get super excited nor do I get super upset. Even keel for the most part in most situations. Well Cindy noticed in my lessons right away when I was in a groove and hitting the ball well that my tempo was "laid back and easy going" for lack of a better term. That seems to match my personality.

I think its a case of "feel isn't real" because when my tempo is nice and smooth I can hit the ball pretty far -- yet it doesn't feel like I'm swinging at all. It feels like I'm swinging 70% but the ball goes its full number.

On the other side, when I'm swinging fast/quick it feels like I should be able to crush the ball but I generally don't compress it and it's a weak flight. The feel tells me I'm going to crush it but it just doesn't happen. So I'm trying to teach myself to stay smooth and take my time.

Hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. You just described me. And I've heard this comparison before. FYI, the app I downloaded is Metrotimer.

glk -

what do you think of the "focus tracks/songs" in tour tempo? Have you used those?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

glk -

what do you think of the "focus tracks/songs" in tour tempo? Have you used those?

I listened to them. More at one reading. Sometimes in car on way to course. My wife gave me the eye roll. Lol. More important t me to use tones or voice during practice with headset. Swing, chip pitch putt. Opened my eyes to all the unnecessary movement in my swing in order to get to top in even the 27/9 . Becomes more natural. As you use it. Helped me shorten my swing. If you overswing doubt you can even do 27/9. I think it is a quality train8ng aid and at$25 it is $75 cheaper than an orange whip.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

glk -

I listened to them. More at one reading. Sometimes in car on way to course. My wife gave me the eye roll. Lol. More important t me to use tones or voice during practice with headset. Swing, chip pitch putt. Opened my eyes to all the unnecessary movement in my swing in order to get to top in even the 27/9 . Becomes more natural. As you use it. Helped me shorten my swing. If you overswing doubt you can even do 27/9. I think it is a quality train8ng aid and at$25 it is $75 cheaper than an orange whip.

Very cool. When I was reading about the songs I kind of started laughing but then I thought maybe I shouldn't judge since I've never tried it before. Lol.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Latest action here. I'm actually getting the club ABOVE PLANE on these swings. Didn't think that was actually possible for me. I was able to compress the ball and hit a proper fade. If I can bring this action or something close to this over to the course it will be a huge step in the right direction

[media=]

[/media]

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Swing looks good...looks to me like you could stand just a tad further away, like 1 ball width and start the arms sooner. The hips look like they stall quite a bit as they stopped rotating in the 2nd to last frame...they literally didn't budget from that frame to the last frame.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Swing looks good...looks to me like you could stand just a tad further away, like 1 ball width and start the arms sooner. The hips look like they stall quite a bit as they stopped rotating in the 2nd to last frame...they literally didn't budget from that frame to the last frame.

At that point the hips seem pretty open already but I think you're right because it does look like they stall out.

I might nitpick things that aren't that important but it seems like I keep my head down a long time. I wonder if that hinders my rotation through the ball.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Dang that's looking good E!!! When can I expect to see you taking on Ricky Fowler???

How many shots do I get?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

At that point the hips seem pretty open already but I think you're right because it does look like they stall out.

I might nitpick things that aren't that important but it seems like I keep my head down a long time. I wonder if that hinders my rotation through the ball.

The hips are pretty open that's actually my point...they have already peaked at their range of motion as they are too open. They should be continuing to rotate through impact, but if they open/rotate too much too soon then they peak before your arms catch up.

I don't think the head thing is an issue as long as it releases naturally.

Swing looks solid though...I just think that standing a touch further away and getting the arms to work faster would give you a little more room for hands/arms through impact.

The hips are pretty open that's actually my point...they have already peaked at their range of motion as they are too open. They should be continuing to rotate through impact, but if they open/rotate too much too soon then they peak before your arms catch up.

I don't think the head thing is an issue as long as it releases naturally.

Swing looks solid though...I just think that standing a touch further away and getting the arms to work faster would give you a little more room for hands/arms through impact.

Ahh, I see what you mean. That's for clarifying.

I'll move the ball out just a touch and see how that feels.

Hard not to think about this stuff out on the course but this weekend I'm going to just try and focus on smooth consistent tempo.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

For a good golfer, the hip rotation does slow and almost stop as impact approaches. Shoulder rotation slows too. I'm not sure that the OPs hips are too open, or that he's stalled. Here's a reference for the kinematic sequence:

http://golfsciencela...matic-sequence/

For a good golfer, the hip rotation does slow and almost stop as impact approaches. Shoulder rotation slows too. I'm not sure that the OPs hips are too open, or that he's stalled. Here's a reference for the kinematic sequence:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing Dave.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I should have written that better...the hips should be supporting the turn through impact....sorry, about that. I agree they stop at impact but I still think they are just a touch too open for that point in the swing. In the 3rd to last image at p4.5, the hips are already where they should be at P5.

• 2 weeks later...

As I've mentioned in previous posts I'm learning just how important tempo is to my game. When my tempo is messed up golf seems damn near impossible. When my tempo is decent I feel fairly confident in where the ball is going. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground; tempo is vital for me.

Got to the club today and wanted to practice a couple of things I've been working on and it just wasn't happening. Shanks and tops and all kinds of nasty stuff. Now, I don't generally mind hitting bad shots because at the range I'm specifically working on swing changes and trying different things. That said today just wasn't going well; nothing seemed to be working so I shelved my original idea for practice and switched to working solely on tempo.

First day using Tour Tempo on full swings. I'm impressed to say the least. I started out with 24/8; just listening to the tones it sounded quick to me but I hadn't made any swings with it. Addressed the ball and made a swing: first thought was "dear god that's fast." Tried a couple more swings before switching to 27/9.

27/9 was much much better for me. Way more natural feeling but still I realized that my backswing gets much too slow when I'm playing because I felt like 27/9 was quick out there yet I was striking the ball very well.

Got into a groove of hitting really nice, consistent shots thinking about nothing but tempo. I liked the fact that it just felt like the swing was an athletic reaction rather than trying to get into perfect positions.

I don't know if my positions were good today (I've been kind of obsessed with getting the right positions) and I'm not sure if I accomplished my original plan for today's practice. What I can say is using tour tempo and making an athletic reaction had me hitting the ball very well and very consistent. As I mentioned, it also showed me how slow my backswing has been lately compared to 27/9.

Excited to keep trying this out.

As for my game right now -- handicap is going down. 3 of the last 5 rounds have been in the 70's which is a huge improvement from where I was at rock bottom.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Club Championship, my first match is tomorrow morning. It's match play. Right now I'm playing to an 8 and my opponent is playing to a 9.

My experience with match play is limited - any advice on strategy?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 3 weeks later...

Played in the club championship which was my first ever *real* tournament. I played in the flight that all the single digits that didn’t qualify for the scratch flight play in.

My first match was won on the 21st hole. My opponent hit the ball much better than I did but I scrambled my a** off and putted out of my mind. I was down 2 on the 16th tee but won 16 and 17 with birdies; putting can be a great equalizer in match play. I legitimately made 150’ worth of putts. I didn’t keep track of my strokes gained but on the greens I was probably a legit +3 or +4 SG putting.

In general, it was an entirely different world. I was nervous and anxious and grinding out all my shots. It was a level of focus I’ve never had on the course before.

The second match was lost on the 21st hole. Again, my opponent hit the ball much better than I did but I was scrambling and again making putts. The match played out almost exactly as I had imagined. I knew my opponent and I knew his game. He’s a skilled ball striker and a poor putter. Just as I thought, on the front 9 he was ball striking the hell out of me. Scrambling and putting kept it close.

Eventually I was 3 down with 6 holes to play. I made a couple of birdies – he made a bogey on our 17th and the match is all square on 18. Now I’m really nervous.

18 is a par 5. We both hit our drives in the fairway. He hooks his 3 wood behind a tree short of the green. I have a lie in the fairway that’s dodgy at best; completely bare lie. Between the lie and my nerves I decided to chip a 3 wood down by the green and did exactly that.

Somehow my opponent makes par from being stymied behind the tree. Meanwhile I have a 10 footer to win which I blew by the hole. Made the 5 footer coming back to go to 19.

On 19 I have another birdie put to win of roughly 10 feet. I spent probably 2 minutes trying to read the putt and I just couldn’t get a feel for the read. I’m a fast player so for me to spend two minutes reading a putt means I’m in 100% grind mode. Both par the hole.

20th both in the fairway. Both hit to 20’ in basically the exact same spot on the green. I was out – hit a good putt but missed. Unfortunately, I gave the exact read to my opponent and he drained it. That was my stroke hole so we move on to the 21st.

I hit a series of bad shots and lost to a bogey on the 21st. It was a great match, lost to a nice person and a good golfer. The guys I played against have been members of my club for a while and I’ve only been a member at my club for a year so between who I beat in the first round and how well I played in the second round people noticed. The guy I lost to is a bit older than I am but he was a very competitive golfer in his day. The dude is no slouch and I took him to the 21st from being 3 down in my first club championship. To many on here this might sound silly but this represents a big step forward in my game and confidence.

The tournament did a lot for my confidence and it was a classic example of “never give up”. I thought I’d be nervous and I was. Totally new experience for me and completely worth it. To anyone else out there that has never played in a tournament or a club championship I’d highly recommend it. You just might learn some new things about yourself.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black