Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

That's awesome! I'd be nervous too. How were the other guys better ball strikers? Distance? Accuracy?

Not distance. Consistency and accuracy. Fairways and greens. I’m usually the furthest in whatever group I play in but I’m also the most wild off the tee.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I've had a mental-breakthrough of sorts out on the course. I have this mental thing where I don't like to "swing easy" because I can generate a decent amount of speed and I don't want to give up that speed and power. Mentally, I want to hit the ball hard to capitalize on the power that I feel should be a strength for my game.

I've touched on this before, the whole "feel vs real" thing that people experience. The other day I decided the only thing I was going to think about was swinging smooth. Smooth on every shot. No other expectations, no other goals, just smooth swings.

Hit 9 iron on two occasions that flew 15 yards further than I expected (and I was expecting to hit my normal number). Hit 6 iron into a par three that I thought would get to the middle and it ended up flying the green.

The reason this seems to be a breakthrough for me is that I've had this idea that "If I swing smooth I'll be leaving power untapped and I won't be getting the most out of my swing." It's like a mental block that I've struggled with but the other day I had some compelling evidence that swinging hard might not be all it's cracked up to be (at least for me).

These smooth swings feel like I'm swinging at 60% yet they are flying significantly further than expected. So, is this a feel vs real thing? Is my swing-speed really 60% of my max? Or, is my sequencing and efficiency improved so much on these swings that although I feel like I'm swinging slower I am in fact swinging faster?

BTW - index is down to a 5.6. Think I was at 11 or 12 when I started this thread.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great lesson with Monte. I've been wanting to have a lesson with him for a while but I live about 4 hours, finally got the chance.

Monte had me working on extending my spine in the back swing, getting into flexion in the downswing and overall just improving the way my spine is positioned throughout the swing. Also had some S-spine going on so he had me working on tucking my pelvis a bit more. It was time and money well spent; very appreciative of Monte making time for me.

Also had me work on my lead arm through the swing. It gets pinned to my chest and causes problems for me.

Excited to work Monte's recommendations.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I look kind of like a dork in these swings but to be fair, as Tiger would put it, they are completely new feels for me.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

In the DTL driver, I heard Monte start saying "Yeeeahh.. I think you're gonna..." - did you get one of his famous "Complisults?" (That is, something probably terribly mean but meant in an affectionate sort of way) :)

EDIT: Nice swings, by the way!!

Thanks!

No, maybe since it was my first time meeting Monte he was easy on me. He said "yeeeahh I think you're going to improve a lot."

If I have another lesson with him maybe he'll start making fun of me then.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

In the DTL driver, I heard Monte start saying "Yeeeahh.. I think you're gonna..." - did you get one of his famous "Complisults?" (That is, something probably terribly mean but meant in an affectionate sort of way) :)

Thanks!

No, maybe since it was my first time meeting Monte he was easy on me. He said "yeeeahh I think you're going to improve a lot."

You'll be in for a treat! Monte is used to my harassment. The most recent clinic I was at with him, he tells me to do something that feels ridiculous and stupid, and I stripe a 6i with an awesome flight. Monte: "Yeah, terrible. Can't play golf like that *walks away*"

All in all though awesome job!

Thanks!

You'll be in for a treat! Monte is used to my harassment. The most recent clinic I was at with him, he tells me to do something that feels ridiculous and stupid, and I stripe a 6i with an awesome flight. Monte: "Yeah, terrible. Can't play golf like that *walks away*"

I got that line once or twice, in addition to the "Do you think you could play pretty good golf hitting it like that?" line, also whilst walking away.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks!

I got that line once or twice, in addition to the "Do you think you could play pretty good golf hitting it like that?" line, also whilst walking away.

One of my favorites is "that almost looks like a golf swing"

Or after striping it he just looks at you and walks away.

Nice job though ebrasmus21.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Thanks!

One of my favorites is "that almost looks like a golf swing"

Or after striping it he just looks at you and walks away.

Nice job though ebrasmus21.

Interesting fact for you guys: during my lesson Monte was wearing a hat. Definitely wasn't expecting that :tease:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 3 weeks later...

I've had two lessons with Monte and both were really encouraging and educational. Last lesson was a couple of weeks ago and Monte got me in a groove where, if you only saw me there you'd think I was a real player. I hit 15 8 irons that all would have landed on top of a kitchen table. This was the encouraging part - knowing my swing is in there somewhere.

When I got in my groove Monte was giving me the whole "terrible shot," "that's garbage," "can't play with that swing." His sense of humor is similar to mine so its pretty funny actually.

My swing nemesis is the fact that I slide my hips in the downswing rather than rotate. So Monte has me working on:

1. Extend in the backswing
  2. Gain flexion (squat down a touch) in transition
  3. Rotate (not slide) into impact

This has been tough for me. But here is where I'm at. These are just punchy 9 irons. Not perfect, obviously, but I'm really just trying to feel a different movement pattern.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Impact position is improving compared to the garbage position I get into when I slide.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Impact position is improving compared to the garbage position I get into when I slide.

Impact is definitely looking better!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I've had two lessons with Monte and both were really encouraging and educational. Last lesson was a couple of weeks ago and Monte got me in a groove where, if you only saw me there you'd think I was a real player. I hit 15 8 irons that all would have landed on top of a kitchen table. This was the encouraging part - knowing my swing is in there somewhere.

When I got in my groove Monte was giving me the whole "terrible shot," "that's garbage," "can't play with that swing." His sense of humor is similar to mine so its pretty funny actually.

My swing nemesis is the fact that I slide my hips in the downswing rather than rotate. So Monte has me working on:

This has been tough for me. But here is where I'm at. These are just punchy 9 irons. Not perfect, obviously, but I'm really just trying to feel a different movement pattern.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Excellent move. Can clearly see you go downhill in transition from the fo view. Since I can't find much downhill at our range I have a small roll of tape (leftover from the guys that encapsulated our crawl space) to stand on. It is about 4 inches high and just enough for you to easily sense the downhill move - I don't even hit balls with it - just setup with it under the trail foot and move that lead shoulder down - gives a great feel for it - then step into the shot and find that feel. You've come a long way in a short time. Congrats.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Impact is definitely looking better!

Thank you, sir. Seems like if I can get my lower body to work correctly a good impact position just happens.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Excellent move. Can clearly see you go downhill in transition from the fo view. Since I can't find much downhill at our range I have a small roll of tape (leftover from the guys that encapsulated our crawl space) to stand on. It is about 4 inches high and just enough for you to easily sense the downhill move - I don't even hit balls with it - just setup with it under the trail foot and move that lead shoulder down - gives a great feel for it - then step into the shot and find that feel. You've come a long way in a short time. Congrats.

I haven't tried using anything like that but that's a good idea. It's all about what will give the "feel" you need, right? Last time with Monte he told me to get my lead shoulder working "down more" but that didn't seem to work. Then he said to start the downswing move the right knee away from the target but that didn't work either. Then we moved on to "belt buckle down" at transition and that's what got me in my groove. Got me going downhill and getting into flexion much better.

Thanks for the kind words!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

For anybody reading this and wants another guy's take on Monte and his coaching:

Monte keeps instruction so simple. What he really does well is able to help you understand feels vs reals. He has the ability to give you 3 or 4 and maybe 5 different ways to "feel" what you should be doing in the swing, but doesn't try to change what your "interpretation" of the golf swing as a whole is.

I just attended his 3 day class here in NJ and he doesn't know it yet but I'm actually planning to fly out to Cali later this year to see him again, he's that good.

And to the OP: Your swing looks so much better than it did from the first video. Clearly Monte's guidance and your hard work are paying off. My issues are literally the same as yours and he has me doing the same stuff. My iron striking is improving rapidly and my sand game got so much better. I still struggle with driver because that feeling of gaining flexion in the hips/chest and knowing I need to swing up a touch on driver make it feel super uncomfortable. For now I am only hitting hybrid and 3w off the tee during practice and actual rounds.

This is shocking. My current swing compared to around this time last year. Differences are huge.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Here's my inspiration for the move (a 2013 Zach Allen vid) He uses a range bucket which I find too tall. His student in the video used an impact bag and

had a really noticeable improvement in transition.

[media=]

[/media]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

For anybody reading this and wants another guy's take on Monte and his coaching:

Monte keeps instruction so simple. What he really does well is able to help you understand feels vs reals. He has the ability to give you 3 or 4 and maybe 5 different ways to "feel" what you should be doing in the swing, but doesn't try to change what your "interpretation" of the golf swing as a whole is.

I just attended his 3 day class here in NJ and he doesn't know it yet but I'm actually planning to fly out to Cali later this year to see him again, he's that good.

And to the OP: Your swing looks so much better than it did from the first video. Clearly Monte's guidance and your hard work are paying off. My issues are literally the same as yours and he has me doing the same stuff. My iron striking is improving rapidly and my sand game got so much better. I still struggle with driver because that feeling of gaining flexion in the hips/chest and knowing I need to swing up a touch on driver make it feel super uncomfortable. For now I am only hitting hybrid and 3w off the tee during practice and actual rounds.

Thanks very much Z1ggy.

Totally agree, with your description of Monte's teaching. He keeps things very simple and he tries to provide different ques to accomplish the same thing (which was needed for me).

I know what you mean about driver as well. The longer the club the more uncomfortable I get but I'm just hoping with more time and more reps these movement patterns will become second nature.

My last lesson was so freaking encouraging but also a bit worrying. Monte had me hitting it so good. Like really good. Like really really good. Felt like I took 10 steps forward with my swing but then I got home to practice and immediately fell back into old habits. I snapped back into reality and realized that I'd be grinding on this for a while.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Here's my inspiration for the move (a 2013 Zach Allen vid) He uses a range bucket which I find too tall. His student in the video used an impact bag and

had a really noticeable improvement in transition.

[media=]

[/media]

Very interesting video - thanks for sharing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks very much Z1ggy.

Totally agree, with your description of Monte's teaching. He keeps things very simple and he tries to provide different ques to accomplish the same thing (which was needed for me).

I know what you mean about driver as well. The longer the club the more uncomfortable I get but I'm just hoping with more time and more reps these movement patterns will become second nature.

My last lesson was so freaking encouraging but also a bit worrying. Monte had me hitting it so good. Like really good. Like really really good. Felt like I took 10 steps forward with my swing but then I got home to practice and immediately fell back into old habits. I snapped back into reality and realized that I'd be grinding on this for a while.

The only thing that is helping me hit driver is teeing it lower and moving back in my stance maybe an inch. I used to with my wrong swing, play it off my front toe, teed pretty high. Hip thrust... on the toes... all the bad stuff happened with that ball set up. Now I play it teed wayyy down and back more closer to front nip, to help feel like I'm hitting a little bit down. I suspect I'm still hitting like 1 up though because I was 5-7 up previously. Results are bad though so far.. feels pretty weird, but that's bound to happen.

I think the key is doing the right move we need to do, with out a club veryyyy slowly. Kind of like practicing that new guitar scale at 10% speed to start. Every morning I do 20 reps with out a club feeling like my very first move is getting my lead heel down, and gaining flexion in my lower body. At lunch I do 20 reps.. all slow mo. Dinner... 20 more reps. Before bed... yep 20 more reps. Then my plan for now is every other day after work to hit 30 balls or so with a 7i, 100 yard punch shots like Monte prescribes. Maybe hit 5-10 punches.. then take 1 or 2 smooth full swings. Probably won't play as much real golf because I tend to fall back to the old habits during actual play. I want the move to be an unconscious thought before I go back to playing 2-3 times a week. Maybe execution won't be flawless but I want that improper weight shift pathway that's currently in my brain gone before I get back on the course full time again...

Thanks very much Z1ggy.

The only thing that is helping me hit driver is teeing it lower and moving back in my stance maybe an inch. I used to with my wrong swing, play it off my front toe, teed pretty high. Hip thrust... on the toes... all the bad stuff happened with that ball set up. Now I play it teed wayyy down and back more closer to front nip, to help feel like I'm hitting a little bit down. I suspect I'm still hitting like 1 up though because I was 5-7 up previously. Results are bad though so far.. feels pretty weird, but that's bound to happen.

I think the key is doing the right move we need to do, with out a club veryyyy slowly. Kind of like practicing that new guitar scale at 10% speed to start. Every morning I do 20 reps with out a club feeling like my very first move is getting my lead heel down, and gaining flexion in my lower body. At lunch I do 20 reps.. all slow mo. Dinner... 20 more reps. Before bed... yep 20 more reps. Then my plan for now is every other day after work to hit 30 balls or so with a 7i, 100 yard punch shots like Monte prescribes. Maybe hit 5-10 punches.. then take 1 or 2 smooth full swings. Probably won't play as much real golf because I tend to fall back to the old habits during actual play. I want the move to be an unconscious thought before I go back to playing 2-3 times a week. Maybe execution won't be flawless but I want that improper weight shift pathway that's currently in my brain gone before I get back on the course full time again...

Do you find the slow-mo reps are helping? I always wonder if they do. I'm not against doing them I just don't understand if they translate over to a real swing.

I also think that maybe I hit too many balls when I practice almost like I'm racing through them. I'm considering have a more focused practice session where I really take my time and concentrate 100% on 50 swings rather than trying to beat through 200 balls.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Yes slo mo works. And yes take your time hitting balls. I do not hit many full shots when i practice. My focus right now is on transition and release. So I do things

like standing on that little roll of tape to help with the feel of the downhill move. Then I can hit some full shots getting that similar feel. But I've spent more time recently

on getting in the delivery position - the club somewhere between p5-p6 - and then hitting from there - more rotating without actively using the arms - slowly then fast - then getting into that position, stopping and taking it back to the top and swinging. I work on being relaxed and having my wrists in good position - the ole motorcycle move thingee - that move from delivery through impact is just to fast in a full swing for me to work on training what I want my arms/wrists to be doing. I haven't hit anything longer than a 5i on the range this year.

It'll take me an 30 minutes to hit about 30 balls. I have rehearsals between swings - don't want to just rake another over. I mix in short game swings too since for me it's

a different swing mechanic where I want to "cast" at the ball - so I do some 30, 40, 60 yard pitch shots then back to delivery drills, etc. sometime I do the 3 club drill,

choose 3 clubs,say pw, 6i, 3w and hit 3 balls in a row never hitting the same club twice. Ditto short game stuff at the area at my club. And in putting I just work on

putts of 50 foot or so (hit one out there and then get the next 2 right beside the first), then the clock drill mainly inside 5 foot or so. Might do some gate drills or putt over a dime about a foot or two in front of me. I usually don't putt for more than 15-20 minutes. Actually in 90 minutes I go through all three areas - swing for about 30-40 minutes, short game for another 30-40 and then 20 minutes putting. I'm lucky that my club has great practice facilities which are not in high demand.

I practice a lot at home in front of the mirror etc. Have some indoor golf balls that I can chip/pitch in my garage. So I usually only go to the range once a week and spend that 90 minutes. I also typically just walk up to the first tee after a little bit of a warmup via stretches etc. I might hit a few very short chips to get the feel of contact and maybe some putts since it's on the way to the tee.

Point is mix it up in how you practice but focus on the area(s) you are looking to improve. And don't just hit full swings (but you've heard this from Monte, I'm sure).

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Yes slo mo works. And yes take your time hitting balls. I do not hit many full shots when i practice. My focus right now is on transition and release. So I do things

like standing on that little roll of tape to help with the feel of the downhill move. Then I can hit some full shots getting that similar feel. But I've spent more time recently

on getting in the delivery position - the club somewhere between p5-p6 - and then hitting from there - more rotating without actively using the arms - slowly then fast - then getting into that position, stopping and taking it back to the top and swinging. I work on being relaxed and having my wrists in good position - the ole motorcycle move thingee - that move from delivery through impact is just to fast in a full swing for me to work on training what I want my arms/wrists to be doing. I haven't hit anything longer than a 5i on the range this year.

It'll take me an 30 minutes to hit about 30 balls. I have rehearsals between swings - don't want to just rake another over. I mix in short game swings too since for me it's

a different swing mechanic where I want to "cast" at the ball - so I do some 30, 40, 60 yard pitch shots then back to delivery drills, etc. sometime I do the 3 club drill,

choose 3 clubs,say pw, 6i, 3w and hit 3 balls in a row never hitting the same club twice. Ditto short game stuff at the area at my club. And in putting I just work on

putts of 50 foot or so (hit one out there and then get the next 2 right beside the first), then the clock drill mainly inside 5 foot or so. Might do some gate drills or putt over a dime about a foot or two in front of me. I usually don't putt for more than 15-20 minutes. Actually in 90 minutes I go through all three areas - swing for about 30-40 minutes, short game for another 30-40 and then 20 minutes putting. I'm lucky that my club has great practice facilities which are not in high demand.

I practice a lot at home in front of the mirror etc. Have some indoor golf balls that I can chip/pitch in my garage. So I usually only go to the range once a week and spend that 90 minutes. I also typically just walk up to the first tee after a little bit of a warmup via stretches etc. I might hit a few very short chips to get the feel of contact and maybe some putts since it's on the way to the tee.

Point is mix it up in how you practice but focus on the area(s) you are looking to improve. And don't just hit full swings (but you've heard this from Monte, I'm sure).

Sorry for the long winded reply.

No need to apologize - it's good getting different perspectives on practicing. I'm only 7 months into practicing golf so I'm still learning how to wisely use the limited time I have. These are good ideas. I already do what you do regarding putting and short game but I need to be smarter about how I practice my full-swing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Oh and don't avoid using props in practice. I swung with an alignment stick stuck into the end of my grip. With a smart ball between my forearms and a bit bigger ball between my upper arms. Kinda funny but I recall hitting all of one shank last year and it fortunately only cost me a bogey - but in practice depending on what I'm doing I can be a shank machine at times - my early transition work was such a thing - guys beside me must have thought I was a high capper with the number of hosel rockets I could produce.

This is my next swing station.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkvfkUNFl-1/?taken-by=dancarraher

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Oh and don't avoid using props in practice. I swung with an alignment stick stuck into the end of my grip. With a smart ball between my forearms and a bit bigger ball between my upper arms. Kinda funny but I recall hitting all of one shank last year and it fortunately only cost me a bogey - but in practice depending on what I'm doing I can be a shank machine at times - my early transition work was such a thing - guys beside me must have thought I was a high capper with the number of hosel rockets I could produce.

This is my next swing station.

https://www.instagra...-by=dancarraher

I haven't used props lately but I was earlier this year. I also have a chilli wacker that I use from time to time.

I used an alignment stick to do some path training like in that clip of Dan's but I hit a couple of sticks and broke them - that's why I went to the chilli wacker.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black