Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

For anybody reading this and wants another guy's take on Monte and his coaching:

Monte keeps instruction so simple. What he really does well is able to help you understand feels vs reals. He has the ability to give you 3 or 4 and maybe 5 different ways to "feel" what you should be doing in the swing, but doesn't try to change what your "interpretation" of the golf swing as a whole is.

I just attended his 3 day class here in NJ and he doesn't know it yet but I'm actually planning to fly out to Cali later this year to see him again, he's that good.

And to the OP: Your swing looks so much better than it did from the first video. Clearly Monte's guidance and your hard work are paying off. My issues are literally the same as yours and he has me doing the same stuff. My iron striking is improving rapidly and my sand game got so much better. I still struggle with driver because that feeling of gaining flexion in the hips/chest and knowing I need to swing up a touch on driver make it feel super uncomfortable. For now I am only hitting hybrid and 3w off the tee during practice and actual rounds.

Thanks very much Z1ggy.

Totally agree, with your description of Monte's teaching. He keeps things very simple and he tries to provide different ques to accomplish the same thing (which was needed for me).

I know what you mean about driver as well. The longer the club the more uncomfortable I get but I'm just hoping with more time and more reps these movement patterns will become second nature.

My last lesson was so freaking encouraging but also a bit worrying. Monte had me hitting it so good. Like really good. Like really really good. Felt like I took 10 steps forward with my swing but then I got home to practice and immediately fell back into old habits. I snapped back into reality and realized that I'd be grinding on this for a while.

The only thing that is helping me hit driver is teeing it lower and moving back in my stance maybe an inch. I used to with my wrong swing, play it off my front toe, teed pretty high. Hip thrust... on the toes... all the bad stuff happened with that ball set up. Now I play it teed wayyy down and back more closer to front nip, to help feel like I'm hitting a little bit down. I suspect I'm still hitting like 1 up though because I was 5-7 up previously. Results are bad though so far.. feels pretty weird, but that's bound to happen.

I think the key is doing the right move we need to do, with out a club veryyyy slowly. Kind of like practicing that new guitar scale at 10% speed to start. Every morning I do 20 reps with out a club feeling like my very first move is getting my lead heel down, and gaining flexion in my lower body. At lunch I do 20 reps.. all slow mo. Dinner... 20 more reps. Before bed... yep 20 more reps. Then my plan for now is every other day after work to hit 30 balls or so with a 7i, 100 yard punch shots like Monte prescribes. Maybe hit 5-10 punches.. then take 1 or 2 smooth full swings. Probably won't play as much real golf because I tend to fall back to the old habits during actual play. I want the move to be an unconscious thought before I go back to playing 2-3 times a week. Maybe execution won't be flawless but I want that improper weight shift pathway that's currently in my brain gone before I get back on the course full time again...

Do you find the slow-mo reps are helping? I always wonder if they do. I'm not against doing them I just don't understand if they translate over to a real swing.

I also think that maybe I hit too many balls when I practice almost like I'm racing through them. I'm considering have a more focused practice session where I really take my time and concentrate 100% on 50 swings rather than trying to beat through 200 balls.

In short, 100% yes they help I think (so far). I usually do dry no club reps super slow mo in the morning before work. Then when I'm on lunch, still no club I do them a touch faster, maybe 50% speed. Then after work, I'll get home and go back to super slow mo but with my 7i in my hand. Then before bed, no club, but at a faster speed, maybe75% or something. I try to do them in front of the mirror so I know I'm actually practicing the right movement and not messing myself up even further. I plan to send Monte a video in a few weeks to make sure my form is perfect.

When I had Monte on the course with me, we (and the group) worked on hitting 130 yard 7i's into a green and then like 115 yard 9i's. That's as far as I plan to hit those clubs for real on the course until I feel like I am ready for full speed. I figure if I can do 60-80 reps with legit proper form every day, that if the 10 hour rule applies, I would have this movement pattern built into unconscious thought/action in about 5-6 months. It sounds like a super long time, but this is somewhat consistent with what Monte said a true swing change might take. Imagine... you spend YEARS unconsciously doing an action, it won't take days or weeks to change that pathway in your brain. It may become consciously something you can do with ease after a few weeks, but to be a habit... I think it's going to take me the rest of this year.

Really liked this swing from yesterday, felt like I covered the ball nicely. Even when I'm hitting the ball well I have a tendency to hang back with my upper body but I think I did better here (sternum looks right over the ball). I've also been able to bring this swing out on the course a few times :) :)

[media=]

[/media]

Also, get fit for your clubs people. I just replaced a 3W that I bought back in 2011 (one that I was not fit for). My new 3W is literally 40 yards longer than the old......

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Like the swing. Like that hat, too! :golfer:

I can handle our 108* weather right now as long as I keep the sun off my skin. Burn to a crisp otherwise!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'm going the boonie hat route myself nowadays due to sun damage. Too many years in the sun without proper protection. Had to get used to feeling the back of the brim touching my neck.

I got burnt badly a couple of different times when I was a little kid. Peeling skin, huge blisters, the whole bit. I'm afraid those burns will come back to haunt me at some point.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Great thread , admire your hard work . Swing looks great , don't know how much better it could be !

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying the thread too :drinks:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 3 weeks later...

Just revamped my bag for the first time in five years.

Driver: Cobra F7+ w/TPT 15 LKP LT

3W: TM M3 w/Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S

3i: Fourteen Type 7 w/HZRDUS Black 105g

4 – PW: MP 18 MMC w/SteelFiber FC 115x

50, 54, 60: Royal Collection Dual Bite w/SteelFiber i125

So far really liking the feeling of the SteelFibers and feeling positive about the changes in the bag. Even though I’m a WRX guy I’m really not a club hoe at all hence the same iron set in play for a little over five years before these changes.

Favorite club in the bag right now is the 3 iron. It’s a cannon and I like hitting it off the tee on short par 4’s. At my club we have several shorter par 4’s so I do hit it often.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Sweet setup! I've got MP-15s and really want to get the MMCs and maybe do Fli-Hi in the 3i and possibly 4i.

Is that green/yellow I see on the putter?

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Sweet setup! I've got MP-15s and really want to get the MMCs and maybe do Fli-Hi in the 3i and possibly 4i.

Thanks! Green and yellow on the Scotty, yes. Colors of my alma mater.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I have green/yellow for pretty much everything in my bag that I can - paint fill on clubs, putter grip, etc. - my alma mater (North Dakota State) and the masters have pretty similar colors, so that's why I go that route.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I have green/yellow for pretty much everything in my bag that I can - paint fill on clubs, putter grip, etc. - my alma mater (North Dakota State) and the masters have pretty similar colors, so that's why I go that route.

Nice! pretty solid bag you have there. I've only done the paint fill on my putter but it was actually fun to try.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Nice! pretty solid bag you have there. I've only done the paint fill on my putter but it was actually fun to try.

Thanks - the paint fill is kind of one of those love/hate things. It's really tedious work, especially when you're not a pro and don't really know what you're doing. But it's one of those things that I do in the winter here when I can't play.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

Fam - how are we feeling about p6 in this shot here? I'm starting to feel like I'm "chasing correct positions" and maybe I'm getting lost in the weeds.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Stop filming your swing.

Don’t make me call you names and threaten physical violence.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Stop filming your swing.

Fine. I don’t want to get in a fight with a senior citizen anyways.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Stop filming your swing.

Won’t it be embarrassing for an old man to out drive you?

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Stop filming your swing.

Won’t it be embarrassing for an old man to out drive you?

Do they make golf specific steroids? Maybe I should take some of that before our battle.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the time has come to participate in a bucket-list trip for me. In less than 24 hours I will be driving with 3 buddies up to Bandon. Playing Friday -- Sunday.

I'll be taking plenty of pics, vids and a recap of the trip.

Solo-Star-Wars-Story-Memes.gif

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Well, the time has come to participate in a bucket-list trip for me. In less than 24 hours I will be driving with 3 buddies up to Bandon. Playing Friday -- Sunday.

I'll be taking plenty of pics, vids and a recap of the trip.

Solo-Star-Wars-Story-Memes.gif

Nice! I was just there in May.....Best place ever....The courses are just plain amazing and I could literally spend all day on the driving range there. I want to go back again sooner than later for sure. Word of advice....don't let the course yardages fool you, they play much longer as a lot of the shorter holes are back into the wind. Even if you don't feel it, it's there when the ball gets up in the air.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Ferris - did you play for the fairways and greens to chase quite a bit? For example, landing a wedge and planning to have it release another 10 yards?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Ferris - did you play for the fairways and greens to chase quite a bit? For example, landing a wedge and planning to have it release another 10 yards?

Into the wind....no...downwind the ball the ball would bounce once or twice and check with a short iron or wedge. With a mid iron, play to the front of the green and expect some run/bounce into the green. For the most part, long is dead on the courses there.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Update #1

We’re 1.5 hours into our 11 hour drive. We haven’t killed each other yet. This is a good start.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Do you all have your course itinerary lined up? Or are you just winging it?

One of my big golf regrets is not making that road trip when I lived out in Monterey.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

One of my big golf regrets is not making that road trip when I lived out in Monterey.

Old Mac tomorrow

Pacific and Trails Saturday

Dunes on Sunday

Punchbowl and preserve will be mixed in probably tomorrow and Sunday as well.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Old Mac tomorrow

Dunes on Sunday

Wow, I envy you. Enjoy & post pictures for the rest of us.

Old Mac tomorrow

Dunes on Sunday

Wow, I envy you. Enjoy & post pictures for the rest of us.

This is a bucket-list trip for me. I’ll do my best to get some good pics and vids.

Goal is to have as much fun as possible. Bonus will be to post a couple scores in the 70s

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I just checked the weather, and it looks pretty ideal for you with only light winds and sun all weekend. Enjoy!

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator