Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

Today was a good day because I was able to bring this swing out to the course with me. This is a swing from my practice session this morning. Working on my pivot with the ideas of getting some flexion in transition (belt-buckle down like Monte has taught me) while getting pressure into my lead heel. Once I get pressure into my lead heel I can push into the ground while I try to rotate my hips hard. This allowed me to get a lot of space for my arms, club on plane, solid compression and exiting nice and low-left.

I hit some absolute gems today. I didn't shoot the course record. I didn't break par. I didn't even shoot my personal best but today I got better and I actually brought the swing I've been working on out to the course. Today was a big day.

[media=]

[/media]

Video isn't working for me, but in the stills it looks really good.

DD - is it not working for you? It seems to be working for me.

Working now, not sure what the issue was

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Finally got to practice today after being out of town all week. Just working on cleaning up my pivot and focusing on what Dan and Monte have been trying to teach me.

Lead knee is in a better position. Right knee isn't firing quite as quick. Still feel like I'm either losing some hip-depth to start the downswing or the right side is still firing early or both. This move feels so weird - it'll take some time to get it to feel natural.

Also, I think I'm extending a bit early or something because my lower back is pretty sore right now.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Sweet!

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

^^ Guy

This is the one that had me feeling really encouraged last week:

[media=]

[/media]

Feels like it's finally clicking as to how to get pressure into my left side and how hard I need to push into the ground with my lead foot while I rotate my hips. Also, I'm noticing that with this pivot I really need to release my right hand hard otherwise I hit it thin or fan it to the right. It's like I can't release my right arm/hand hard enough. It's a pretty cool feeling actually, nice heavy strike into the ball.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

^^ Guy

This is the one that had me feeling really encouraged last week:

[media=]

[/media]

Feels like it's finally clicking as to how to get pressure into my left side and how hard I need to push into the ground with my lead foot while I rotate my hips. Also, I'm noticing that with this pivot I really need to release my right hand hard otherwise I hit it thin or fan it to the right. It's like I can't release my right arm/hand hard enough. It's a pretty cool feeling actually, nice heavy strike into the ball.

Of course, I reply to the wrong post. Duh. Just keep that 1% improvement going and next season will be really, really nice.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

If we had a baby together, he would be one heck of a golfer :P

Rich, you've got a sense of humor I'll give you that.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 3 weeks later...

This game is so damn frustrating sometimes. I’ve been doing a great job, for months now, keeping a positive attitude and working on my game. Even when playing poorly, while I might get frustrated, I don’t let it get to me and keep grinding.

Today I played poorly and for some reason it really got to me, bad. I haven’t been that frustrated this entire year. Ball striking freaking sucked, missed a few short putts, missed several fairways by a mile... By hole 13 I was just a whiny b**** that could not wait for the round to be over.

I’ve been working hard on my game for a while now - especially ball striking. While I’ve improved and while I’ve seen glimpses it seems like my goal of getting to scratch is far, far away. My ball striking on the course is so inconsistent.

Anyways, today I let my frustrations get the better of me and wasted an opportunity to grind and improve.

Rant over, thanks for listening WRX friends.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It’s all about perspective my friend. At least you can play.

It’s 26 degrees right now in Columbus and I don’t even want to waste my time going to the range with heated stalls 25 minutes from my house.

The last month here has been hideous. I’ve played once. The misery of winter has set in early this year.

It’s all about perspective my friend. At least you can play.

It’s 26 degrees right now in Columbus and I don’t even want to waste my time going to the range with heated stalls 25 minutes from my house.

The last month here has been hideous. I’ve played once. The misery of winter has set in early this year.

Fair enough point. Ebrasmus used to live in Dayton so I know how you’re feeling with the weather.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Meh off days are off days.

They are harder to accept when you are practicing a lot and start to think "I am getting closer". Really have to work on the mental side to not let a bad round tail spin your confidence and set you adrift in search of answers. I just try to make sure I get right back to the basics quickly and get back on the course.

I also try to remember that the first time I broke par was on the same day of the worst score I had shot in 3 or so years. Went 91 in the morning and 71 in the afternoon. What did I do different? Well I ate a decent sandwich, drank a Guinness and went right back to the tee.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

They are harder to accept when you are practicing a lot and start to think "I am getting closer". Really have to work on the mental side to not let a bad round tail spin your confidence and set you adrift in search of answers. I just try to make sure I get right back to the basics quickly and get back on the course.

I also try to remember that the first time I broke par was on the same day of the worst score I had shot in 3 or so years. Went 91 in the morning and 71 in the afternoon. What did I do different? Well I ate a decent sandwich, drank a Guinness and went right back to the tee.

91 - 71. That’s a day of golf, wow.

Yeah like I mentioned, today I own up to being a whinny b**** and no one hates a whiner more than I. It was just an infuriating day that got the best of me. Hoping if I gave a quick rant and got things off my chest it would help.

While I haven’t broken par I have gone 85 - 75 before, and on more than one occasion. Let’s hope that’s a 75 for tomorrow.

This is golf, as far as I can tell it drives most of us to madness every once in a while.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Wow. That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. 91, 71 in the same day is just deeply bizarre.

At least you’re being honest with yourself, and by extension, with us. Anyone who says they havent been there is likely either a liar or a savant.

Keep grinding.

Golf can reward each of us in so many ways much more profound than just our daily score. Often, the lesson only comes into focus when we reflect on past deeds with perspective and clarity.

Best of luck in your journey.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Wow. That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. 91, 71 in the same day is just deeply bizarre.

It was weird.. I had been playing really well at the time challenging par regularly lots of 73/4/5 type rounds. I was playing a medal match with my regular group in the morning and I just couldn't do anything right. Think I only hit like 2 greens, few drives OB, everything just off.

Had lunch... Went back out and played loose and free... Hit 15 greens.

Golf is weird.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

At least you’re being honest with yourself, and by extension, with us. Anyone who says they havent been there is likely either a liar or a savant.

Keep grinding.

Golf can reward each of us in so many ways much more profound than just our daily score. Often, the lesson only comes into focus when we reflect on past deeds with perspective and clarity.

Best of luck in your journey.

Well said, thank you. I suppose venting frustration is good if for no other reason than to be honest with one’s self.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Took a bit of procrastinating at work to catch back up on your thread from when I last commented. Sounds like you've made some great progress. I feel like our years have been pretty similar. Some good and some bad. Some lessons to start making meaningful progress toward improvement and a lot of hours grinding on the range. Your trip up to Bandon looked awesome.

I actually gave US Am qualifying a try out at your home track and that was a good experience. Course is pretty flat, but requires precision so I definitely empathize with you striving to improve the consistency of your ball striking. That course is also deceptively long. A few short par 4s skew the yardage IMO and the par 5's are not gimmes. Pretty fun track where you get a variety of shots and decisions to make.

Also like that you've been open to advice from others on the forum. I think it'd be fun to journal my practice/game similar to what you have done for the past year, but I don't think I'd be anywhere near as open to advice from wrx'ers as you are. Feel like I'd just get confused and frustrated. lol

Anyways, nice work. Keep it up. I kept thinking to myself how money your still images looked, so you definitely have the tools to get to scratch.

Took a bit of procrastinating at work to catch back up on your thread from when I last commented. Sounds like you've made some great progress. I feel like our years have been pretty similar. Some good and some bad. Some lessons to start making meaningful progress toward improvement and a lot of hours grinding on the range. Your trip up to Bandon looked awesome.

I actually gave US Am qualifying a try out at your home track and that was a good experience. Course is pretty flat, but requires precision so I definitely empathize with you striving to improve the consistency of your ball striking. That course is also deceptively long. A few short par 4s skew the yardage IMO and the par 5's are not gimmes. Pretty fun track where you get a variety of shots and decisions to make.

Also like that you've been open to advice from others on the forum. I think it'd be fun to journal my practice/game similar to what you have done for the past year, but I don't think I'd be anywhere near as open to advice from wrx'ers as you are. Feel like I'd just get confused and frustrated. lol

Anyways, nice work. Keep it up. I kept thinking to myself how money your still images looked, so you definitely have the tools to get to scratch.

Sunnyside is extremely flat, but I’d never say it’s an easy course. Especially on the front 9 there are some tricky tee shots and once you’re off the tee the second shot becomes a real issue. Tiny greens that are heavily protected. During tournaments I like watching hole 12. Shortest par 4 on the course but I guarantee it’s the par 4 with the most double bogeys. It’s a fun and challenging course. If you’re ever back in the area shoot me a PM.

Can’t remember if it was my first or second lesson with Monte but he got me in an awesome groove. I was seriously dialed in. We were talking and chatting about me wanting to get to scratch... there were a couple of guys sitting on this bench next to us and Monte said “see these guys? If they came over to watch you hit and I told them you’re a +2 they’d believe me. You should be a lot better than you are.” That’s stuck with me because at the time I was probably a 7 or 8. I can promise you I’m still grinding - I guess it’s just not my time, yet. Hasn’t translated to the course. I’m prone to big misses: tee shot OB, short-siding myself, laying the sod over a wedge. Those shots give me a 77 rather than a 74 or 73. It’s frustrating.

Like you said - my stills look good. Unfortunately those photos don’t equate to even par otherwise I’d be scratch already. The grind continues into 2019.

Thanks for following along.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Venting is good!

Does throwing a lob wedge 40 yards qualify as venting? Asking for a friend.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Keep on plugging. Golf improvement isn't linear but oh how nice it would be if it were. mini assessments help me more than any venting - can be after a shot or once every 10 rounds - can be mechanics and thought process (just don't go full meta, lol) during round. I took away positives from my high end scores becoming lower and less frequent even when my cap wasn't going down.

Or treat yourself rounds from way up on the tees. I sometimes play my wife's tee with her a couple of holes. Or just plain commit to playing 9 or 18 holes as practice versus the range.

You got this.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Part of what I've been thinking is --- like you, I work hard and diligently at ball striking. And have a ton of old, bad, well-ingrained habits that don't work. And I don't get easily discouraged, and am persistent as hell.

But part of the real bear in making improvement is some moves are hard to make consistently. Lately I have begun to think it's not only about reps or focus in practice, but that truly for each body, there are some motions that are just hard to be consistent with. It stresses and stretches to the limit of (at least my) capabilities. When a move is at or near the limits of what you can do easily, it is almost impossible to be consistent with it, almost by definition.

Yet, there are some basics I really believe are important in transition and afterwards. How to get there is up for grabs.

The thing that I have been thinking is, some of that frustration is not just about golf being hard, but may be feedback that some of what we (I) are trying might just have a low ROI. Now, maybe you really do have to beat your head against a rock for a while to figure out when a certain move is just not going to work (vs running after new ideas every three swings, chasing your tail), but I think it's important to really own your swing, know what you believe is critical, and what works for you to get there and what doesn't.

All that being said, golf can be frustrating, especially if you're really trying to play to your full potential. Fun, challenging, engrossing - but aarrrggghhhh, frustrating as hell. It just is.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I think it applies to a lot of people.......

There is a saying that ams will practice until they get it right and pros will practice until they cant get it wrong. While its a good sentiment, taken at face value, its wrong. Even pros hit foul balls.

You are not a machine, you will not hit the ball perfectly all the time (or even nearly all the time).

You have tendencies, and "swing faults" that will stick with you no matter what. The real questions to ask yourself are, what are my tendencies, why do I do those things, what ball flight do those tendencies produce, what happens when I do the opposite of the tendency (over correct), and can I play the level of golf I want to with that tendency.

For example; a golfer might have a tendency to EE. When that happens he leaves the face open and hits a bit of a block. His fix is to lower the belt in transition, but overdoing that leads to a flippy snap hook. So on days when the swing is a little off, should the golfer live with a little EE and some blocks, or is overdoing the fix better?

Knowing yourself is how you play better golf.

Do you know how to play the best golf you possibly can, or do you just know how to play the golf you usually do?

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Venting is good!

Does throwing a lob wedge 40 yards qualify as venting? Asking for a friend.

I got so disgusted one time I threw my 3 iron straight up into a tree and it got stuck up in it.It was a huge tree and I'd say that my club was a good 40 feet up there.I got it down thankfully because at the time I was gaming my 73 Hogan Apex's which will someday be a collectors item.

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I think it applies to a lot of people.......

There is a saying that ams will practice until they get it right and pros will practice until they cant get it wrong. While its a good sentiment, taken at face value, its wrong. Even pros hit foul balls.

You are not a machine, you will not hit the ball perfectly all the time (or even nearly all the time).

You have tendencies, and "swing faults" that will stick with you no matter what. The real questions to ask yourself are, what are my tendencies, why do I do those things, what ball flight do those tendencies produce, what happens when I do the opposite of the tendency (over correct), and can I play the level of golf I want to with that tendency.

For example; a golfer might have a tendency to EE. When that happens he leaves the face open and hits a bit of a block. His fix is to lower the belt in transition, but overdoing that leads to a flippy snap hook. So on days when the swing is a little off, should the golfer live with a little EE and some blocks, or is overdoing the fix better?

Knowing yourself is how you play better golf.

Do you know how to play the best golf you possibly can, or do you just know how to play the golf you usually do?

I’d say I’m learning how to play golf, the game itself. For my whole life I’ve just played golf swing. But if I’m being honest I don’t think I know how to play my best.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black