Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

I know virtually nothing about technical swing mechanics. What is EE? And the “P” numbers I’ve seen referenced, P6, or P4 for instance.

EE = early extension

The Ps are just different specific points in the swing. For example, P4 is top of the swing. P6 is shaft parallel to the ground on the downswing

Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Sometimes, haha? You’re fine DS!! Happy New Year :) Madison

Most of the time?!

Happy New Year to you and Richard as well Madison!

I know virtually nothing about technical swing mechanics. What is EE? And the "P" numbers I've seen referenced, P6, or P4 for instance.

Believe me Brother, ignorance is bliss here����

To this I will quote someone that you are very familiar with~

"Ya'll are using trigonometry when it's nothing more than basic arithmetic," lolol����

Under the gun, under competitive pressure, on a course with that club in your hand??

You even entertain a technical thought and you might as well flip a coin, cuz a Pro would miss that next shot more than he/she'd nail it~

An Am, regardless of their cap????

Yea right������

One thing that I was taught on a football field though it has applied in every area of my life, especially on a golf course in a competitive round..

You play as ya practice!!

Some reverse it but my teacher used this because the thoughts that one ingrains into their mind(subconscious) on the practice line, is what they will resort to and think of under pressure.

If one starts thinkin "P this" and "P that" under the gun, they might as well bend over and take one for the team cuz they sureTF ain't gonna answer that next bell, lmao��

All the Best Bro, and a Happy Healthy New Year to You & Yours��

Richard

Richard -

This year I've been working on a lot of technical stuff in my swing. How can one practice/improve technical stuff without thinking about technical stuff?

I have always thought the progression was from lesson to driving range to course to competition. Each phase is pretty separate from the other. You can't improve a swing motion without practicing a new (hopefully) better motion. How people describe this new motion varies, how they perceive it varies. It is a technical thing; a foreign motion at first. What I see in common from a wide range of people is they have to practice doing the new motion correctly, and this means slow motion and come kind of objective confirmation (eg, mirror and not just ball flight).

But getting to playing - hitting shots - requires the kind of relaxed body/confidence that trusts you know how to do it. A BIG part of this, for me, is finally embracing the new motion as part of 'my' swing. I don't know how to describe this, but it seems like a big deal to me. Once a motion/set of feels fits into my overall map of 'my swing' I make a huge leap in doing it on the course. It's no longer hard or alien. I don't know if my new swing (I have fundamentally rebuilt my swing in my 60's) will ever be fully unconscious where I just think 'target' and this new motion will happen. But it's now embedded enough that it's no big deal to have the swing image/feels/thoughts associated with it.

I think the core thing is to really focus in on what you really think you need to change and stop chasing some elusive, always moving target, and then really stick the landing, so to speak. Again, for me, this has been enormously helped by better feedback so that I could tie feel to motion to ball flight.

For the last several months I’ve really just been trying to improve my pivot - that’s been the focus of my mechanical/technical practice. I think it’s starting to come around, slowly. The feel that seems to work for me is getting pressure into my left foot and then pushing into the ground hard. At this point it’s a feel that I have to focus on but hopefully in the future it will be more natural for me and I won’t have to think about it, like Richard recommends.

Honestly, the last thing I want to do is constantly think about my swing. Feel compelled to at this point however, since it’s still a work in progress.

Some things just work for some people while for others it’s awful. I’m actually fairly technical (or mechanical)in my swing (even though I might not have the correct terminology for the technique ). I’m pretty much always thinking swing thoughts all the way through the swing.

I know it’s not the correct way, but I’ve done it so long that way that I’ll likely continue that way to the end.

I know virtually nothing about technical swing mechanics. What is EE? And the "P" numbers I've seen referenced, P6, or P4 for instance.

"Ya'll are using trigonometry when it's nothing more than basic arithmetic," lolol����

Under the gun, under competitive pressure, on a course with that club in your hand??

You even entertain a technical thought and you might as well flip a coin, cuz a Pro would miss that next shot more than he/she'd nail it~

Yea right������

One thing that I was taught on a football field though it has applied in every area of my life, especially on a golf course in a competitive round..

Some reverse it but my teacher used this because the thoughts that one ingrains into their mind(subconscious) on the practice line, is what they will resort to and think of under pressure.

If one starts thinkin "P this" and "P that" under the gun, they might as well bend over and take one for the team cuz they sureTF ain't gonna answer that next bell, lmao��

Richard

Richard -

This year I've been working on a lot of technical stuff in my swing. How can one practice/improve technical stuff without thinking about technical stuff?

I have always thought the progression was from lesson to driving range to course to competition. Each phase is pretty separate from the other. You can't improve a swing motion without practicing a new (hopefully) better motion. How people describe this new motion varies, how they perceive it varies. It is a technical thing; a foreign motion at first. What I see in common from a wide range of people is they have to practice doing the new motion correctly, and this means slow motion and come kind of objective confirmation (eg, mirror and not just ball flight).

But getting to playing - hitting shots - requires the kind of relaxed body/confidence that trusts you know how to do it. A BIG part of this, for me, is finally embracing the new motion as part of 'my' swing. I don't know how to describe this, but it seems like a big deal to me. Once a motion/set of feels fits into my overall map of 'my swing' I make a huge leap in doing it on the course. It's no longer hard or alien. I don't know if my new swing (I have fundamentally rebuilt my swing in my 60's) will ever be fully unconscious where I just think 'target' and this new motion will happen. But it's now embedded enough that it's no big deal to have the swing image/feels/thoughts associated with it.

I think the core thing is to really focus in on what you really think you need to change and stop chasing some elusive, always moving target, and then really stick the landing, so to speak. Again, for me, this has been enormously helped by better feedback so that I could tie feel to motion to ball flight.

For the last several months I've really just been trying to improve my pivot - that's been the focus of my mechanical/technical practice. I think it's starting to come around, slowly. The feel that seems to work for me is getting pressure into my left foot and then pushing into the ground hard. At this point it's a feel that I have to focus on but hopefully in the future it will be more natural for me and I won't have to think about it, like Richard recommends.

Honestly, the last thing I want to do is constantly think about my swing. Feel compelled to at this point however, since it's still a work in progress.

As someone who has studied how learning works both professionally and personally, looking in depth at how consciousness and peak performance operate/happen, I think there is more conjecture than there is real understanding. What I would say to you is, don't worry that you're constantly thinking about your swing. Of course you are. It is a natural and essential part of learning as an adult making a change. I think about Tiger Woods talking about his swing changes. The old "it's a process" and "tournament feels" and "glutes weren't firing" - here's one of the truly generational players, one of the best to EVER play the game, talking about his adoption of a new swing. Think that guy wasn't focused on the details of his swing? After his first Masters, how long before he really hit stride again? And Faldo. Rose. These guys all spent years thinking about their swing before they turned it into peak competitive performance

I have seen my own thinking become simpler - but if I were to try to write it down for someone else, it would seem complex. (There are a lot of inter-related moving parts to hitting a golf ball!) The best thing I have learned is what it's like to own my own process and my own swing. I will tell you, it has taken a lot of work, but it's getting there.

My point is, don't doubt your best judgment.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Yea right������

Richard

Richard -

For the last several months I've really just been trying to improve my pivot - that's been the focus of my mechanical/technical practice. I think it's starting to come around, slowly. The feel that seems to work for me is getting pressure into my left foot and then pushing into the ground hard. At this point it's a feel that I have to focus on but hopefully in the future it will be more natural for me and I won't have to think about it, like Richard recommends.

Honestly, the last thing I want to do is constantly think about my swing. Feel compelled to at this point however, since it's still a work in progress.

A friend recently recommended a book to me - "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle - and so far it is a great read (about 2/3 of the way through it). It has to do with how talent grows in the brain and how you can grow more of it. It's got some background on neurology, but only so much as to backup the research and findings of the author. It has three main segments (Deep Practice, Ignition, & Master Coaching) as they relate to talent and developing more. The premise is basically that our genetics are not our destiny.

I think you'd enjoy the book and probably pick up some things from it.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Fascinating book...

It really is, it's opened my mind a bit and is really helping me with how I practice.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

WRX

——

~

This was an enjoyable thread Ebras. The best to you as you continue your journey :) Madison

Thank you, and thanks to Richard as well. Happy new year to you both :)

Richard, I can’t wait till I get to a point where I don’t have to think about my swing. That’s how it used to be for me (just visualizing target) but my poor mechanics caught up to me at which point I lost my game entirely and started this journey.

Hi Ebras? I don’t think that Richard does a very good job of explaining the physical/mechanical side of the game, versus the mental, where his knowledge and ability to communicate it is outstanding, because he and Pete had a teacher/student relationship unlike any that I’ve seen in my 40 years of playing the game and 23 years of teaching it. Even Pete and I, and he’s the only teacher that I’ve ever had, did not have the interaction or relationship that he had with Richard. I’d seen Pete work with Sam a few times when Sam was in town to “knock the rust off,” and their relationship was like he and Richard’s. It’s hard to explain but Pete would literally take Richard’s elbow, somewhat forcefully place it where he wanted it, or take Richard’s arms in slow motion and take them where and how he wanted them repeatedly and then Richard would perform the move in slow motion, with either Pete’s approval or not, in which case they would then repeat the previous sequence, again and again and...... They could go 2-3 lessons with Richard not hitting a ball or taking a full swing. How many times have you seen that? I never have, except with Pete & Sam. I used to joke with Pete that Richard was his “test rat” as he had used this method with Sam, who went on to become arguably one of the 3-4 greatest Players ever, and he wanted to see if he could repeat it with a “good” but not elite Player, hahaha. I also found it hysterically ironic that while both were socially outgoing and gregarious men, they did not spend a lot of time talking during their lessons. Pete was big on, as am I, getting the FEEL of the correct move/position because under pressure, it is this “feel,” and it’s place in one’s muscle memory, that one can count on when our brain is scrambled eggs and also, there are some that just plain have an inability to “visualize” the proper movement/position. For some this is a true mental block, though for the vast majority of my students, it’s a matter of them just not putting the time in to master the art of visualization. Very few practice the physical game correctly to improve, and many have been playing at the game for years, if not decades, and now you’re going to ask them to do something that they’ve never done, never practiced and to do it effectively under pressure??? Life and the game don’t work that way, hahaha. People always would stare at Richard if they didn’t know him because he had a very rigid practice routine and he never deviated from what Pete taught him. Some days he would do nothing but the “Y” drill with a short and then mid iron, others the “L” drill(sometimes referred to as the “Hogan drills” though they were tought to Pete by his PGA mentor and Teacher, Tommy Armour, years before Hogan came along and besides, Pete didn’t care for Hogan, and that is why Richard never has, hahaha) same way then and other days, both, depending on what he was working on, and the success that he was having. Those were the only balls that he would hit, no one or two swings at the end of the session with the driver or a full 7i instead of those he hit in the “Y” drill. He imprinted every swing and ensuing ball into his memory bank and he wanted no other “clutter” in his mind, and what if that one driver was not a well hit ball? Who ever walked away from the line on a bad ball, hahaha. So when he tries to explain this, he has a difficult time.

Even when Richard rebuilt his swing basically from scratch after his last shoulder reconstruction surgery, in 2007 or 2008, I believe, he did it without Pete, and I refused to work with him, so he did it on his own, with a little help from his former police officer friend, and while he did get to low single digits, 1~ or 2~, he couldn’t turn the corner and get back to Plus, where he’d been for 16+ years and through the whole 90’s decade. It was not until early/mid 2010, when he found the book that I’ve screen shot, “Slow Practice Will Get You There Faster,” by Ernest Dras. It was not so much the slo mo practice, as Richard has been doing that for decades, however it was what Dras termed “Post Practice Improvement(PPI).” Though Richard had been doing this in his and Pete’s way for decades also, it was HOW he had been doing it that he changed, and as he has so often stated, he took the mental steps necessary to allow his physical game to flourish, and he came from being on the qualifying handicap line(~2) to making his club’s championship flight club championship “final fousrsome” and just missing his fifth championship by one stroke, and he was the first non-Plus to make the 54 hole medal “final foursome” in 12 years. He would get back to Plus that year and then get to +2.8 in the end of 2011-12 when he would Play way over his head for three matches and win the biggest non-USGA regional tournament, the WPa Interclub MP Championship, playing to a +4.2 and +4.8 against his final two opponents, one a +4.9 and future Major USGA Champion. He had literally gone from, in his words, being a “scraper” in 2008-09, and I have never said this before but I had stopped watching him hit the ball, because it broke my heart to know where he had been and then to see where he was, to arguably playing better than he had in his life, and doing it the only way that had ever mattered to he, Pete or Sam, “under the gun.” So in closing, this simple 106 page book was the most technical instruction that Richard implemented into his physical game in going from not being able to swing, or hit a drive 210-220yds in the fairway to Plus. In fairness, his friend Paul Siullo, may God rest his soul, (http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/postgazette/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=125809611&referrer=0&preview=True), helped him implement the physical changes that were necessary to compensate for his reconstructed shoulder.. Though I haven’t seen you hit the ball, I’d bet that you did not hit the ball as poorly as Richard did during that time, for most would have done exactly what a 17-18~ handicapper, standing next to me on a hill overlooking Richard as he hit one day stated, “If I hit the ball like that, I’d quit. Lessons can’t help that guy.” Never say never, hahaha. Oh, and “The Talent Code” is one of Richard’s top-3 performance books. Excellent read!!? Happy New Year Ebras? Madison

^^^Nice. Very nice.

I think this post illustrates just how hard it is to convey how we learn. Now we have two very different stories about Richard’s game and process. Both are valid and probably even combined are not the whole truth.

What I believe most deeply about learning is we have to 100% own the process - which means by trial and error (including what input to adopt and what to set aside) define what you believe is worth working on, and trust your own process/insight for what it really takes to implement it.

This isn’t because experts aren’t truly skilled or lacking in insight but because no one can fully explain how it works for you.

However, the one principle I think is core - it’s in the practice slow idea - is you have to practice doing a new motion consistently correctly (or at least better) and know through feedback that you are so you can zero in on the feel/sensation and get your brain wired to identify in shorter time spans as the swing speeds up.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Madison, thank you for sharing. Excellent, excellent post!

You and Richard have lived the golfing life.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

^^^Nice. Very nice.

I think this post illustrates just how hard it is to convey how we learn. Now we have two very different stories about Richard’s game and process. Both are valid and probably even combined are not the whole truth.

What I believe most deeply about learning is we have to 100% own the process - which means by trial and error (including what input to adopt and what to set aside) define what you believe is worth working on, and trust your own process/insight for what it really takes to implement it.

This isn’t because experts aren’t truly skilled or lacking in insight but because no one can fully explain how it works for you.

However, the one principle I think is core - it’s in the practice slow idea - is you have to practice doing a new motion consistently correctly (or at least better) and know through feedback that you are so you can zero in on the feel/sensation and get your brain wired to identify in shorter time spans as the swing speeds up.

Madison, thank you for sharing. Excellent, excellent post!

You and Richard have lived the golfing life.

Thank you both?!!! One thing that I didn’t really stress effectively enough and I don’t mean to pick on Richard, hahaha, but his friend Paul’s advice, and Paul was a +3 and former winner on the Fla mini tour but his career stalled there, was critical to Richard’s future success because he assisted Richard in changing his swing to compensate for and take the pressure off of his shoulder, and most importantly, Richard listened to him. Too hear Richard tell it sometimes, if someone doesn’t know him or know the game, they might get the impression that just sitting in a recliner, closing one’s eyes and visualizing 1000+ perfect swings will take them to the promised land, hahaha. While I will agree that visualizing that perfect swing will translate to the line and course, one has to be able to EXECUTE that visualized swing, and until Paul came along, and I had spoken to him prior, which Richard did not know at the time, haha, and put Richard’s body in the correct positions throughout the swing, he could’ve visualized till the second coming and it wouldn’t have made a damn bit of difference. Sorry Sweetheart, hahaha?Thanks again guys!!! Happy New Year :) Madison

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/UV4TV6Vr

If anyone can give me a few New Year tips, I’d much appreciate it! My inconsistent drives kill my score. When I miss with the driver, I freakin MISS with the driver. Any ideas?

Hey Austin, I hope all’s well?.

What’s your ball flight like, as it’s virtually impossible to follow the ball against the sky/clouds?

Stay well my Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/UV4TV6Vr

If anyone can give me a few New Year tips, I’d much appreciate it! My inconsistent drives kill my score. When I miss with the driver, I freakin MISS with the driver. Any ideas?

Hey Austin, I hope all’s well?.

What’s your ball flight like, as it’s virtually impossible to follow the ball against the sky/clouds?

Stay well my Friend?

RP

Thanks for the reply. My ball flight is often too high with too much spin, especially for a 9.5. Occasionally I’ll hit a good low, less spinny ball that gets good roll and carry and roll, but far too often it lands like a 7 iron. Apologies for the poor video!

Sweetheart, a 17-18 capper really said that about my swing????

He couldn’t have been a regular or you would’ve framed it differently though if ya know him, I want a name, lmao!!!

In all seriousness, that’s what practically destroyed me and had me a day away from giving up the game if Paul has not approached me that afternoon and that is that I had ALWAYS relied on my ability to visualize MY perfect swing, and I’d always had the ability to execute it on the line or the course and for the first time that I could ever remember, I could not do this.

I got so frustrated, angry and clusterf***** that I would sit in my recliner and cry like a lil b****, lol. Seriously, I was lost not being able to visualize the correct swing and slo mo, mirrors or anyone else could help me because I was not the best student, and in my mind I had had the best Teacher in the world and no one could pick up where he left off.

I have never so much as raised my voice to Madison, ever, though when she tried to help me, I was edgy and short with her and she said fine, and walked off of the line, leaving my pathetic arse standing there alone.

What’s funny is that as she mentioned above, and Sweetie, great posts but did ya have to make me look like a total arsehole???, but she told him how Pete had taught me, what with physically taking my legs, hips, chest, hands, arms, shoulders, etc. and putting them were he wanted them then taking me through the swing with his hands guiding the way in slo motion.

So when Paul asked me to stand, grab a club and take my stance after he’d watched me scrape a few, I was stunned, as he did exactly what Pete had done.

It never dawned on me that Madison had spoken to him prior and set this all in motion because I had never met him prior to his approaching me that day and they had known each other for years cuz he was a former Pro and Played the minis in Florida in hopes of hittin the Tour.

So I seriously took this as a “miracle” and sign from whomever that I was gonna make a comeback???

I know, I know, that’s effed up, but you’d have to understand me, the fact that I believe in Karma and that if I have confidence there is nothing that I won’t go after, and I might get my arse handed to me but I’ll go 100% with what God gave me and I’ve always done ok, so when we were finished, and he really took me back towards my previous swing, instead of this upright bullshat that everyone was pushin on me(not Madison), and while I was nowhere near the finished product as when we hit the course, I was in the low 80’s, I had a decent divot and ball flight and more importantly for ME, I had a finished swing that I could now visualize and then execute.

I literally broke down in tears of joy when I hugged him after our first session and I’m sure he was thinkin “WhoTF is this idiot that Madison set me up with”, lmao???

I’ve always stated that I’m not the guy to go to for physical/mechanical swing advice, unless ya wanna discuss slo mo & mirror drills and the “Y” & “L” drills, lol. Same with putting. I can show ya the drills that Pete & Sam showed me and anything mental, but I stay away from mechanical advice, lol.

Anyhoo, thanks for beinging back the memories Sweetie, cuz those were my darkest days in the game followed by the funnest times that I’ve ever had on a golf course, teaming up with you and then Playing in front of you and I have you to thank for it all?

And with that, I bid you all a fond adieu and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Richard -

A friend recently recommended a book to me - "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle - and so far it is a great read (about 2/3 of the way through it). It has to do with how talent grows in the brain and how you can grow more of it. It's got some background on neurology, but only so much as to backup the research and findings of the author. It has three main segments (Deep Practice, Ignition, & Master Coaching) as they relate to talent and developing more. The premise is basically that our genetics are not our destiny.

SUPERB book and template for someone who is serious, and I do mean SERIOUS about not only tapping into their mental core for better performance, and it need not just be on the course, however in any area of one’s life, Coyle’s book is easily one of the 2-3 top books that I’ve read on the subject.

What he calls “deep practice” is what I called “Post Practice Improvement(PPI),” though what ya call it doesn’t matter however what does matter is that this is the most critical area, at least for me, for improvement over the long haul.

The thing is, most people want everything now, this minute, ?BOOM?, instantaneously!!!

Well, first, that’s not how it works in the real world and if you’ve done ANYTHING in your life at the 98%+ level, and this is where(actually it’s 99%+ for a Plus) a scratch Player would be, you know that improvement is incremental, starting with small baby steps(slo mo/mirror drills, off course PPI) and gradually moving into bigger steps or gains, and you keep your eye on the prize, never wavering because your tired, disgusted or “burned out(this is the friggin best?), because of, and Coyle refers to it as “Ignition,” however I call it “passion,” and this passion is a drive, and for me “drive” has always been waaaaayyy way above “desire,” cuz when you’re down, disappointed or tired, all a “desire” to be better does is give your sorry arse an excuse to call it a day and pack it in till tomorrow or whenever, though “drive” is just that, a relentless drive to refocus, on the spot, to basically give yourself a figurative kick in the nuts and refocus & drive forward until you achieve that daily goal, and you should never ever ever pick up a club, hit the line or the course without a definite goal in the front of your mind that will put you ahead of where you left off yesterday, even if it’s one baby step better and ya focus all of your being on achieving today’s goal, and then go home and implement the PPI.

It’s funny cuz everything is spot on, and those who Mentored me(along with Pete on the golf course, my Grandmother and Father in everyday life and former NFL Backer Pete Wysocki, God rest his soul, who was the heart and soul of the Wash Redskins’ D in the mid/late 70’s), and they had no data, studies or findings to support what they taught me, all that they had were the resumes, their achievements and their successes and failures.

However this book is Great stuff and if one is serious, then it will give ya the template to tap that part of your being that the very elite tap into and switch on like a light switch, that allows them to maximize their potential and perform at their peak under pressure.

Great post and offering DD?!!!

If you are in a position to lead a group, and I’m not talkin managing them but actually impacting their lives beyond the quotas, budgets and other bureaucratic administrative stuff, and I’m not knocking it cuz I’ve been there done that, both for the corporation, firm and myself, however I’m talkin really impacting and leading ndividuals, where you don’t have to get permission, approval or affirmation to do your job or impact others in theirs, then Coyle’s other book, “The Culture Code:The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups” is another superb read!!

A lot of garbage books in this genre, however Coyle’s the real deal and these two books are Platinum??!!

All the Best Brother?

Richard

Richard -

SUPERB book and template for someone who is serious, and I do mean SERIOUS about not only tapping into their mental core for better performance, and it need not just be on the course, however in any area of one’s life, Coyle’s book is easily one of the 2-3 top books that I’ve read on the subject.

What he calls “deep practice” is what I called “Post Practice Improvement(PPI),” though what ya call it doesn’t matter however what does matter is that this is the most critical area, at least for me, for improvement over the long haul.

The thing is, most people want everything now, this minute, ?BOOM?, instantaneously!!!

Well, first, that’s not how it works in the real world and if you’ve done ANYTHING in your life at the 98%+ level, and this is where(actually it’s 99%+ for a Plus) a scratch Player would be, you know that improvement is incremental, starting with small baby steps(slo mo/mirror drills, off course PPI) and gradually moving into bigger steps or gains, and you keep your eye on the prize, never wavering because your tired, disgusted or “burned out(this is the friggin best?), because of, and Coyle refers to it as “Ignition,” however I call it “passion,” and this passion is a drive, and for me “drive” has always been waaaaayyy way above “desire,” cuz when you’re down, disappointed or tired, all a “desire” to be better does is give your sorry arse an excuse to call it a day and pack it in till tomorrow or whenever, though “drive” is just that, a relentless drive to refocus, on the spot, to basically give yourself a figurative kick in the nuts and refocus & drive forward until you achieve that daily goal, and you should never ever ever pick up a club, hit the line or the course without a definite goal in the front of your mind that will put you ahead of where you left off yesterday, even if it’s one baby step better and ya focus all of your being on achieving today’s goal, and then go home and implement the PPI.

It’s funny cuz everything is spot on, and those who Mentored me(along with Pete on the golf course, my Grandmother and Father in everyday life and former NFL Backer Pete Wysocki, God rest his soul, who was the heart and soul of the Wash Redskins’ D in the mid/late 70’s), and they had no data, studies or findings to support what they taught me, all that they had were the resumes, their achievements and their successes and failures.

However this book is Great stuff and if one is serious, then it will give ya the template to tap that part of your being that the very elite tap into and switch on like a light switch, that allows them to maximize their potential and perform at their peak under pressure.

If you are in a position to lead a group, and I’m not talkin managing them but actually impacting their lives beyond the quotas, budgets and other bureaucratic administrative stuff, and I’m not knocking it cuz I’ve been there done that, both for the corporation, firm and myself, however I’m talkin really impacting and leasing individuals, where you don’t have to get permission, approval or affirmation to do your job or impact others in theirs, then Coyle’s other book, “The Culture Code:The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups” is another superb read!!

A lot of garbage books in this genre, however Coyle’s the real deal and these two books are Platinum??!!

All the Best Brother?

Richard

Ordered the book yesterday. Have to check out Dras book as well.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Richard -

If you are in a position to lead a group, and I’m not talkin managing them but actually impacting their lives beyond the quotas, budgets and other bureaucratic administrative stuff, and I’m not knocking it cuz I’ve been there done that, both for the corporation, firm and myself, however I’m talkin really impacting and leasing individuals, where you don’t have to get permission, approval or affirmation to do your job or impact others in theirs, then Coyle’s other book, “The Culture Code:The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups” is another superb read!!

All the Best Brother?

Richard

Always love reading your posts Richard, so much many awesome stories and history.

I've loved the book so far and only have the coaching section left. I'll probably re-read it again just to pick up anything I've missed.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So what is "genetic" (if anything) and what isn't?

Would Coyle say that literally anyone could be taught to high jump 7'? Or 8'?

How about run the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds? After all, the range of person who can do that is enormous, from Usain Bolt (all 6'5"(?) of him), to Andre Cason's 5'7" frame. And that's just one example.

Can ANYONE become truly great at anything?

How about differential equations? Can we all learn to do differential equations?

It is my very strong opinion that there will always be things that some humans have the capacity to do that others do not -- no matter how much time and effort is devoted to the skill at hand.

We can all get BETTER. We can't all be "great" at everything -- even with unlimited time.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

How about run the 100 meters in less than 10 seconds? After all, the range of person who can do that is enormous, from Usain Bolt (all 6'5"(?) of him), to Andre Cason's 5'7" frame. And that's just one example.

How about differential equations? Can we all learn to do differential equations?

It is my very strong opinion that there will always be things that some humans have the capacity to do that others do not -- no matter how much time and effort is devoted to the skill at hand.

We can all get BETTER. We can't all be "great" at everything -- even with unlimited time.

There's no claim that anyone can become the greatest at any endeavor. He concedes that some tasks very dependent on physical attributes (height, weight) can't be mastered.

The premise is that talent isn't predestined and can be grown. Read it, you might actually like it.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

There's no claim that anyone can become the greatest at any endeavor. He concedes that some tasks very dependent on physical attributes (height, weight) can't be mastered.

The premise is that talent isn't predestined and can be grown. Read it, you might actually like it.

What is he saying then? Isn't it just "Most people can get BETTER at virtually anything they apply themselves to"? Which is, of course, demonstrably true. Very few people would argue this. But this isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about the words "talent" and "talented."

Do you think he believes that ANYONE could get their golf game to scratch or below by geeking out their myelin? Or would some fail to reach that level?

Sorry to be difficult, but these types of claims always lead me directly to specifics. What is he REALLY saying with regard to specific sports and actions?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

A friend recently recommended a book to me - "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle - and so far it is a great read (about 2/3 of the way through it). It has to do with how talent grows in the brain and how you can grow more of it. It's got some background on neurology, but only so much as to backup the research and findings of the author. It has three main segments (Deep Practice, Ignition, &amp; Master Coaching) as they relate to talent and developing more. The premise is basically that our genetics are not our destiny.

What is he saying then? Isn't it just "Most people can get BETTER at virtually anything they apply themselves to"? Which is, of course, demonstrably true. Very few people would argue this. But this isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about the words "talent" and "talented."

Do you think he believes that ANYONE could get their golf game to scratch or below by geeking out their myelin? Or would some fail to reach that level?

Sorry to be difficult, but these types of claims always lead me directly to specifics. What is he REALLY saying with regard to specific sports and actions?

The hardcover version is $16 and change at the moment. Read it. Then tell me what you think he's getting at. I find a lot of the scientific research and real world examples really back up what he is saying.

https://www.amazon.com/Talent-Code-Greatness-Born-Grown/dp/055380684X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546138123&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=the+talent+code&dpPl=1&dpID=51hgIdKy1UL&ref=plSrch

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

One of the examples he uses is shortstops from the Dominican Republic that play in major leagues. Way above the per capita ratio. Why? It’s not that they are inherently better shortstops but that they have a culture in place, even with far less than state of the art facilities, that inspires and then instills the kind of passionate focus needed to reach such levels of performance.

So, sure not every kid playing baseball in DR makes mlb - most don’t. But more do than you’d expect because of how they learn. This deep focus creates the neural chemistry that drives the performance. Any more detail and I’ll have to re-read the book - been a while.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Good day Gents, I hope that all are well?

As I nestle into my IV chair and peruse the last few posts, I can see that I sorta opened a can of worms and I am going to give my .03 worth(as unmedicated as I’m gonna be today?). While I meant everything that I wrote regarding Coyle’s book, I was reading it for a different purpose than most in that I was not reading it to give my opinion on basically his amateurish thesis question, “is it or isn’t it,” as one, this is a chicken/egg question and two, having read, reviewed and critiqued double blind surgical studies in the real world as a member of public medical review panels, where as a non-MD, I was often the only individual lacking this critical two letter post last name designation, or one of two out of 5-7 panel members, so please pardon me if I am extremely skeptical of a sports writer masquerading as an amateur psychologist proposing what is basically a theory as science, when, in my mind, it belongs in the pop psychology file, lolol???

Why do I say this?

Well, I’ll give a few examples that lead me to this view~

Anytime someone opens up ANYTHING with how they are going to reveal “revolutionary scientific discoveries,” well, having my degrees in the natural sciences and having spent over 90% of my professional life in them and amongst these “scientists/MDs,” let’s just say that the sciences and scientists do not preface or pepper their thoughts, opinions and findings with catchy dynamic marketing produced buzzwords and phrases, lolol???

Guys who want to sell books do?

Also, Mr. Coyle repeats ad nauseam the term “hot beds,” providing us with anecdotal tales galore about them and this is a phenomenon that I have chirped about in this very forum whereby if someone repeats something long enough loud enough and enough times, it is supposed to somehow give validity to it(Golf swing theory is full of this bullshat). Anecdotal evidence is great, many times useful however please don’t try to link saying something often enough & loud enough or providing enough anecdotal chirpings to having actually produced rigorously tested scientific data!!

Again, when someone announces that something is “scientific,” as those who produce true scientific research, articles and texts just print it, they don’t preface it as “revolutionary,” lmao???

Coyle also cleverly co-opts the Tom Sawyer white washing story to fit his means, basically tossing out thousands of years of human psychology for a faddish pseudo-theory, ignoring large and numerous concentrations of “signals” that do not fit his model for this “hotbed” generation, lolol.

So, these are just a few of my thoughts after having read the book three times, with a different objective each time. Not to get into that however I’m sure that there are some thinking “wait a minute, weren’t you the arsehole that called Coyle the “real deal,” lolol

Indeed I was?

And here’s why~

Putting aside Coyle’s theories, because I believe that for the most part and over all, they are just that...

Theories, and not rigerously supported or validated theories at that, and his penchant for grandiose claims and repeated use(remember what I said about repetition??) use of commercial catchy buzz words and phrases leave this text sorely lacking in the scientific rooting that Mr. Coyle and all those like him, individuals whos academic background is deeply rooted in the liberal arts and they are subconsciously hopelessly and relentlessly looking for that validation that comes from the “sciences,” scientists and the acceptance by the scientific community and validation of their “work” as “science.”

Apologies BroMeisters, however a bunch of PhD’s 150-200 word amazon reviews don’t cut the mustard for a peer review, lmao???

Even in 2018, going on 2019, I am continuously amazed at the lack of true critical thinking amongst this generation’s PhDs/Therapists

Society is supposed to be “soft.”

The sciences???

Not so much, lolol?

However, I look at all of that verbiage as “macro” stuff(chaff).

For me, worthless!

Now, the “micro” stuff(wheat)on how to tap into one’s inner mind, subconscious or whatever ya wanna call it to put oneself in the best position to maximize their abilities, talents and performance???

As I said, it’s PLATINUM, at least it was for me, and I’ve used it in athletics, first in football & then golf and I also used it professionally and to a lesser degree socially/personally.

So, for no other reason, I would recommend this book for someone looking to build their own mental template.

There ya have it, my complete thoughts on Mr. Coyle’s theories, thoughts and book.

In closing, I would like to just say that I am very thankful that my Grandmother taught me that before I totally disregard someone or their “work,” I should rigerously ascertain that there is nothing of value for me, even if that value-added is surrounded by and encased in bullshat, a derivative of that wheat & chaff proverbial phrase, lolol?

This book is one such example!!

Also, if you’re looking for a detailed scientific connection between myelinatiin and skill development, this IS NOT the book for you, contrary to what Mr. Coyle or some pop shrink that you may know, may tell you. Trust me here?!!!

Have a great day Gents and David, Madison and I both wish you and yours a Happy Healthy & Prosperous New Year and Year and season to come???(the hugs/kisses are from her, the fist bump from me as I’m still diligently workin on my male security issues, masculinity yada yada yada. I’m presently reading a couple of superb scientific books on the subject and am 286 pages from bein the most secure mofo on this board??)

Oh, I have one favor to ask~

I can handle critique from the gallery however, Sweetie, please quit comin in and blastin me from behind??!!

Besides, I thought that you were supposed to stay outa the “Instruction” Section???????

Stay well Brother and a Great day to All?

RP

Hmmm. The question of ‘how do we know what is valid’ is a serious one and way off topic. However, I will just say that even objective science is bound by the biases of how the question is asked.

Everything is multi-determined, or at least almost everything and life is almost too complex to study. As you break it down into its pieces arbitrary decisions are made. Large meta-studies try to solve this.

I met a Harvard MD on vacation in Oct. She argues that an n of 1 (self examination) is also an essential basis of inquiry.

My point is, whatever issues of the book, the essentials are in the right direction.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

My point is, whatever issues of the book, the essentials are in the right direction.

EXACTLY!!

Oh Christ, don’t get me started on Harvard MDs??

Growing up under the roof of a surgically trained one(surgical residency & one surgical fellowship), which is worse than just being Harvard educated(med school), has scarred me for life??

He was a great Mentor and I do thank God for the genes but if ya ever gave thought as to why I’m such an arsehole, lololol, think no more??

I’m more thankful for my Mother & Madison??

Ask Madison to tell ya about the first time that she met him after she walked off the 18th with a 66(par 70) in our inter-club where she and another female Pro Played the blues(6790) while we guys Played BoBs(Back of Box, 6980yds)??

My Father, who was riding along in a cart with a Bud following different groups, went up to her, introduced himself and asked her to step over on the practice green with him as he’d noticed something in her putting stroke and could help???

One, she putted excellently, two, she didn’t ask for “help,” and three, while Pete had told her that I could be an arsehole, he never told her about my father???

They get along fabulously though, lolol

A Happy & Healthy to You & Yours Bro?

Richard

EXACTLY!!

Oh Christ, dont get me started on Harvard MDs

Growing up under the roof of a surgically trained one(surgical residency & one surgical fellowship), which is worse than just being Harvard educated(med school), has scarred me for life

He was a great Mentor and I do thank God for the genes but if ya ever gave thought as to why Im such an arsehole, lololol, think no more

Im more thankful for my Mother & Madison

Ask Madison to tell ya about the first time that she met him after she walked off the 18th with a 66(par 70) in our inter-club where she and another female Pro Played the blues(6790) while we guys Played BoBs(Back of Box, 6980yds)

My Father, who was riding along in a cart with a Bud following different groups, went up to her, introduced himself and asked her to step over on the practice green with him as hed noticed something in her putting stroke and could help

One, she putted excellently, two, she didnt ask for help, and three, while Pete had told her that I could be an arsehole, he never told her about my father

A Happy & Healthy to You & Yours Bro

Richard

Haha. That’s funny. Fathers of our generation could be tough. I had one, too. (Would give anything to walk one more round of golf with him. He had big time polio in 1954, lost total use of his arms, and then taught me every poorly understood idea of Hogan’s swing. But man do I think of those days on the course with the two of us walking together with great love for him)

This woman, however, was wonderful. Just very damn smart.

Ok that’s way way way off topic and not fair to ebrasmus.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

EXACTLY!!

Oh Christ, don’t get me started on Harvard MDs

Growing up under the roof of a surgically trained one(surgical residency & one surgical fellowship), which is worse than just being Harvard educated(med school), has scarred me for life

He was a great Mentor and I do thank God for the genes but if ya ever gave thought as to why I’m such an arsehole, lololol, think no more

I’m more thankful for my Mother & Madison

Ask Madison to tell ya about the first time that she met him after she walked off the 18th with a 66(par 70) in our inter-club where she and another female Pro Played the blues(6790) while we guys Played BoBs(Back of Box, 6980yds)

My Father, who was riding along in a cart with a Bud following different groups, went up to her, introduced himself and asked her to step over on the practice green with him as he’d noticed something in her putting stroke and could help

One, she putted excellently, two, she didn’t ask for “help,” and three, while Pete had told her that I could be an arsehole, he never told her about my father

A Happy & Healthy to You & Yours Bro

Richard

Haha. That’s funny. Fathers of our generation could be tough. I had one, too. (Would give anything to walk one more round of golf with him. He had big time polio in 1954, lost total use of his arms, and then taught me every poorly understood idea of Hogan’s swing. But man do I think of those days on the course with the two of us walking together with great love for him)

This woman, however, was wonderful. Just very damn smart.

Ok that’s way way way off topic and not fair to ebrasmus.

Memories for a lifetime!!

80%+ of my posts are waaaaaaaaay off the rails, in the woods, lol

All Ebras or anyone has to do is post something. I’m just keeping the place warm for him till he drops back in, lol?

Happy New Year?

Cheers?

RP